[Game] Kings @ Bobcats, 12/17/13 4 PM PST

K

KingMilz

The Kings should look to get Thabo he's playing awful and Lamb and Roberson are developing nicely I suggested doing a Thornton/Landry trade for Perk/Thabo we shed salary and basically replace Perkins with Thornton on the bench plus next season Perk is a expiring deal meaning maybe as awful as he is we could package him again.

"According to a league source, the Kings are proposing a package that would send point guard Isaiah Thomas, shooting guard Ben McLemore, veteran swingman Marcus Thornton, power forward Jason Thompson and two future first-round picks to the Celtics in exchange for Rondo."

Wow are you serious? That's a huge loss for the kings. Thornton being the least and Thompson following. Ben Mac still has some immense potential and IT is already a star for us. We'd be trading all of that for an injury prone Rondo who is recovering from a torn ACL. Man, if this goes through, everything we've done so far will be reversed and we'll be in the poopooter again for seasons to come. What will add insult to injury will be the two first round draft picks we're giving away which will definitely be lottery picks if this trade goes through.
Mark my words on that.
Source?

"According to a league source, the Kings are proposing a package that would send point guard Isaiah Thomas, shooting guard Ben McLemore, veteran swingman Marcus Thornton, power forward Jason Thompson and two future first-round picks to the Celtics in exchange for Rondo."

Wow are you serious? That's a huge loss for the kings. Thornton being the least and Thompson following. Ben Mac still has some immense potential and IT is already a star for us. We'd be trading all of that for an injury prone Rondo who is recovering from a torn ACL. Man, if this goes through, everything we've done so far will be reversed and we'll be in the poopooter again for seasons to come. What will add insult to injury will be the two first round draft picks we're giving away which will definitely be lottery picks if this trade goes through.
Mark my words on that.
Unless your source is within the past couple of hours, it's pretty much gonna be as good as dead. Especially considering the fact that there has been some within the Celtics organization (via Twitter) who have come out and said that discussions have not taken place between both teams...

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

I doubt it's dead especially it the Celtics fans are happy with the trade. It seems like the majority of their fans are weary of Rondo getting injured again.

What would the kings do if Rondo gets injured? We'd have no backup...
What start Ferdette? I think I'd do a better job out there.... Lol
Ferdette is still stuck in college

Another good indicator of whether this has any leverage to it is to see how much it is being discussed on major sports sites/avenues....ESPN has not made mention of it (either on network, or on the web), neither has NBA.com

Plus, one of the well known basketball rumor sites (Hoopshype.com) has no mention of it, other than the tweet that pretty much denied the rumor...

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

"Rondo is 28 and coming off an ACL injury. You really think (if he's top 5 now) he'll be top 5 at the age of 35-38? Meanwhile IT is 24, injury free, cheaper, and playing at an elite level. It'd be a horrible trade for Sacramento."

Also, this is a game thread, and there has been a separate thread created for this "rumor". I would recommend moving your stuff over there....Mods (as well as us regular members) love to keep discussions on point, and on topic...

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I doubt it's dead especially it the Celtics fans are happy with the trade.
Celtics fans on BleacherReport don't make trades. NBA front offices make trades. And all afternoon there has been a large amount of well-sourced and well-respected media reporting that the Kings and Celtics are not in fact discussing such a trade. It's not that the trade is dead, it's that the best evidence suggests that the trade never existed in the first place.

It seems like the majority of their fans are weary of Rondo getting injured again.
I apologize that you're going to take the brunt of this one, but this is evidently becoming a to/two/too situation and I'd really like to straighten a few things out:

The Kings' front office will probably be wary of trading for an injured player. (Indicates caution)
Kings fans should be leery of any trade rumors initially reported in the Latino Post or the International Business Times. (Indicates skepticism)
I am weary of people repeating debunked trade rumors. (Indicates tiredness)
Timothy Leary was an advocate of LSD, which might be what the people making up these rumors are taking. (Not a word, but sometimes a name)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yes, if you l
It's a team game. Gay and IT are both isolation players. That's fine when they're hitting their shots, but at some point we've got to start developing into a team which doesn't rely on isolation plays to create those shots. If Ben is catching the ball standing still with a defender in his face, something is wrong. If Williams spends 20 minutes standing in the corner and gets one look at a three something's wrong. Where was the pick and roll tonight? Where was the high-low post game? Cousins had the right idea, using his post dominance to set up perimeter looks in the third quarter. In general the team would benefit enormously from an influx of "trusting your teammates" but I suppose with all of the roster turnover so far it's not surprising that has been a weakness for us.
Gay and IT and Cousins are "isolation players", if by that you mean they can play one on one fairly effectively. (If you mean their games are limited solely to one-on-one ball, I don't agree). I agree with the thrust of your post that they must develop into a team. (See DAs comments on that). It seems to me virtually impossible with a young team that has just been put together to have a synchronized motion offense. It's not a coincidence that there isn't as much movement or passing as we would all like. When they develop into a team they all will get better shots because of it and the one-on-one play will diminish greatly. But it's going to take time to congeal into a team. It's not going to occur in a few games, that's for sure.

All that said, if Rudy Gay plays like Rudy Gay in this game they probably come out a winner. Not because they played very well as a team; just because they'd have a lot more talent on the floor than the Bobs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We have tried backing up Ben with bigs like Outlaw and Acy, how about trying McCallum? He wouldn't be the primary ball handler, he could concentrate on defense and takomg open shots. Would we lose much? Maybe but more likely not. He would get floor experience and a little shooting experience. Let's try it.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Gay and IT and Cousins are "isolation players", if by that you mean they can play one on one fairly effectively. (If you mean their games are limited solely to one-on-one ball, I don't agree). I agree with the thrust of your post that they must develop into a team. (See DAs comments on that). It seems to me virtually impossible with a young team that has just been put together to have a synchronized motion offense. It's not a coincidence that there isn't as much movement or passing as we would all like. When they develop into a team they all will get better shots because of it and the one-on-one play will diminish greatly. But it's going to take time to congeal into a team. It's not going to occur in a few games, that's for sure.

All that said, if Rudy Gay plays like Rudy Gay in this game they probably come out a winner. Not because they played very well as a team; just because they'd have a lot more talent on the floor than the Bobs.
The comment I was responding to was about guys needing to "step up" and make plays when the team is having trouble scoring but how exactly is Ben McLemore going to take over? By dribbling into traffic and turning the ball over most likely. Same with Derrick Williams. These guys are both really good at finding their shots within the context of a properly run offense. They spent far too much time doing nothing in that last game and it wasn't because they were hiding from the ball, it was because nobody on our team seemed all that interested in getting them shots or at the very least getting them the ball in motion.

IT, Gay, and Cousins are all capable of creating their own shot so if everything else goes to pot, you can throw them the ball and they'll do something with it which results in the ball heading toward the net. Given enough shots they're going to score 20 or more points per game. That's not a bad thing. Every team needs players who can do that. But that can't be the entire offense because it's too easy to stop. They need to use that ability to create shots for other players too. If Thomas makes a couple of nice drives to the basket he needs to use the threat of getting to the basket to create a shot for someone else the next time down the floor.

We heard so much in the off-season about how this team was going to get away from the iso heavy play we saw under Westphal and Smart. Remember when we had Tyreke, Marcus, and Salmons all on the floor together all trying to create offense on their own? That needed to change. And to that end we let our best iso player go and replaced him with a PG who almost exclusively creates shots for other players. I'm as happy as anyone that Salmons, Hayes, and Patterson are gone and I wasn't all that thrilled with Vasquez' defense but replacing him with IT and replacing Williams in the starting lineup with Gay has taken what was briefly a pretty exciting free-flowing offense and replaced it with a lot of ball watching and hero ball. I don't think that's a recipe for success.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We have tried backing up Ben with bigs like Outlaw and Acy, how about trying McCallum? He wouldn't be the primary ball handler, he could concentrate on defense and takomg open shots. Would we lose much? Maybe but more likely not. He would get floor experience and a little shooting experience. Let's try it.
I'm not opposed to giving McCallum a few minutes here and there, especially if Thornton is now 100% out of the rotation. But Acy has been coming in and backing up Cousins, not McLemore.