Kessler Edwards

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Explain this to me like I'm 5. I thought he had a club option next year and then we have his RFA rights, which we can obviously spend whatever we want to resign him or match?
I think this is just in the case that we decide we want to extend him beyond the option year this offseason. Need one of the cap experts to clarify though.

I think this is just in the case that we decide we want to extend him beyond the option year this offseason. Need one of the cap experts to clarify though.
Gotcha. Yeah he's still so cheap next season and we're low on guaranteed roster slots. Wouldn't make a ton of sense to just let him walk I imagine.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Explain this to me like I'm 5. I thought he had a club option next year and then we have his RFA rights, which we can obviously spend whatever we want to resign him or match?
So Edwards is in a strange situation. His first season he was on a two-way that eventually got converted to a remainder-of-season full NBA deal. This offseason, he signed a deal for one year plus the team option. This means that:

1) He is on a 1-year deal (the option doesn't count)
2) The Nets would have Early Bird rights if he finished the season with them

The NBA was apparently concerned that teams would sign players to one-year deals to get Early Bird rights (or Full Bird rights) and then trade the player to a team eager to have those EB/FB rights. So under the circumstances listed above, the NBA strips "Bird service time" to prevent teams from "sneaking into" Bird rights without a two-year deal. Because the Bird service is stripped, the player has to agree to the trade.

Edwards will be eligible to be an RFA at the end of his contract (this year or next) by virtue of having <=3 years of NBA service time. But if we extend the QO, we still have to have a salary cap exception to match any offer sheet, or to sign him outright. The Gilbert Arenas clause guarantees that any offer sheet's first year can't exceed the MLE, so we would always have some option to resign him (though at this point such a large offer seems unlikely). Note that you cannot "spend whatever you want" to sign/match an RFA - you have to have an exception. Usually we think of RFAs as players coming off of their rookie deals (four years without changing teams as a free agent, so Full Bird Rights), but for second rounders this often isn't the case and they don't have Full Bird. But you have to use some sort of exception to make the signing.

For example:

If we DON'T pick up Edwards' option, we will have "Non-Bird" rights on him, which means we can sign him starting up to 120% of his previous salary or the QO (whichever is greater), <= 4 years, 105% max raises

If we DO pick up Edwards' option, we will have Early Bird rights at the end of his deal, which means we can sign him starting up to 105% of the average salary (this would be much more than the other EB criterion, 175% of his last year's salary), 2-4 years, 108% max raises

So really what Edwards gave up in consenting to the trade, wasn't the ability to be offered ~$10M by the Nets this summer (they wouldn't do that due to the team option at a much lower salary) but rather up to a max salary two summers from now. But since that seems really unlikely to happen, in essence he's giving up...nothing.

So Edwards is in a strange situation. His first season he was on a two-way that eventually got converted to a remainder-of-season full NBA deal. This offseason, he signed a deal for one year plus the team option. This means that:

The NBA was apparently concerned that teams would sign players to one-year deals to get Early Bird rights (or Full Bird rights) and then trade the player to a team eager to have those EB/FB rights. So under the circumstances listed above, the NBA strips "Bird service time" to prevent teams from "sneaking into" Bird rights without a two-year deal. Because the Bird service is stripped, the player has to agree to the trade.

Edwards will be eligible to be an RFA at the end of his contract (this year or next) by virtue of having <=3 years of NBA service time. But if we extend the QO, we still have to have a salary cap exception to match any offer sheet, or to sign him outright. The Gilbert Arenas clause guarantees that any offer sheet's first year can't exceed the MLE, so we would always have some option to resign him (though at this point such a large offer seems unlikely). Note that you cannot "spend whatever you want" to sign/match an RFA - you have to have an exception. Usually we think of RFAs as players coming off of their rookie deals (four years without changing teams as a free agent, so Full Bird Rights), but for second rounders this often isn't the case and they don't have Full Bird. But you have to use some sort of exception to make the signing.

For example:

If we DON'T pick up Edwards' option, we will have "Non-Bird" rights on him, which means we can sign him starting up to 120% of his previous salary or the QO (whichever is greater), <= 4 years, 105% max raises

If we DO pick up Edwards' option, we will have Early Bird rights at the end of his deal, which means we can sign him starting up to 105% of the average salary (this would be much more than the other EB criterion, 175% of his last year's salary), 2-4 years, 108% max raises

So really what Edwards gave up in consenting to the trade, wasn't the ability to be offered ~$10M by the Nets this summer (they wouldn't do that due to the team option at a much lower salary) but rather up to a max salary two summers from now. But since that seems really unlikely to happen, in essence he's giving up...nothing.
So the Kings can essentially retain control around roughly a MLE contract after his team option next season? But if some team comes and offers him 20+ mil, we can't match? Am I understanding that properly?

origkds

What- Me Worry?

For example:

OK, soon as Capt. said " Edwards is in a strange situation" I knew I wasn't going to understand any of it.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
So the Kings can essentially retain control around roughly a MLE contract after his team option next season? But if some team comes and offers him 20+ mil, we can't match? Am I understanding that properly?
Assuming we pick up his option for next year, he would still be eligible to be an RFA in the summer of '24. So if we were to give him the QO, the Gilbert Arenas provision would kick in, and no team would be able to make an offer larger than we could match with the MLE.

Of course, we're putting about 5 or 6 carts in front of the horse here - Edwards is pretty unlikely to break out to where he would command an MLE-level contract anytime soon.

Assuming we pick up his option for next year, he would still be eligible to be an RFA in the summer of '24. So if we were to give him the QO, the Gilbert Arenas provision would kick in, and no team would be able to make an offer larger than we could match with the MLE.

Of course, we're putting about 5 or 6 carts in front of the horse here - Edwards is pretty unlikely to break out to where he would command an MLE-level contract anytime soon.
So basically what you are saying is the middle manager is finding talent that he might be able to keep for a while for cost controlled means, that might fit his vision, and might be a contributor for a contending type team on his current team's timeline?

The middlest of middle managing folks!! No vision!! Gone by AS break.

I may have read Vinny's last several posts and...

Only one person in the kingdom says "dun dun dun", ends sentences with "can anyone confirm", and also begins refutations with "Ok but". It's so obvious who it is, but I charge money for such work.

So the question is do you not pick up the option next year and try to resign on a new deal next year or pick up the option and risk a breakout season where you would be unable to match?

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
So the question is do you not pick up the option next year and try to resign on a new deal next year or pick up the option and risk a breakout season where you would be unable to match?
But the Gilbert Arenas rule will not allow a QO we can't match, either year.

Also:

Am I the only one when I read the headline who thought we got the Utah Kessler I was about to have a heart attack, I was thinking Monte is a absolute mad man....than I continued reading .

Kingster

Hall of Famer
There has been much speculation as to my true identity. Some are certain I'm Mark Jones. Others have speculated I'm Bricklayer (who may long to return but perhaps could never do so under his old name out of pride). There is a rumor VF21 hasn't actually passed on, but wished to leave her moderator duties behind and couldn't think of any other way to do so. Others simply revel in the mystery and enjoy the show.

Whatever your take, my aim is to entertain, so it pleases me greatly to read your response.

With love from this great big Italian heart,

Vinny Basketballerino

p.s. - On a personal note, I'm having a wonderful private dinner tomorrow night with friends at a hot dog stand run by a gourmet Italian chef in his 80s who does private dinners at night, including for the movie crews that have been shooting lately in this town. $45 bucks a person for a four course dinner and bring your own vino. If you can identify where this is and the name of the hot dog stand, I will reveal my true identity to you in dm's - and trust you with our secret - because if you know where this is I know you are a person of great integrity.
I doubt you are Fish Grease. Otherwise your post would be laden with multiple redundancies, overly talky, verbose, loquacious exclamations that have little to do with the subject matter. Either that, or you have a good editor for the written word.

I just don't see it with Edwards.

He adds needed lenth to the wing.
He adds shooting.

We need perimeter defense.
We need rebounding.
We need athleticism.

We don't need someone that brings the weak sh1t and gets blocked repeatedly on dunk attempts.

I was wrong about Lyles, I sure hope I am wrong again.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm sure two NBA game checks are more than a full season of G-League. He's going back to Stockton, isn't he? So never know he could get another call.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Actually kind of interesting he's with the Kings. Thought I saw a report that he was "going to get a chance with the G-League" roster.
Burton was active in the last game against the Rockets so I guess they're activating Kessler tonight in case the Kings blow the Rockets out again (which is not outside the question). I think KZ and Queta are still with Stockton as it is anyways.