Keon Ellis

That step back shot in the last couple minutes was crucial as well. I wonder how well he would shoot off the DHO? They said in last nights telecast that he normally finishes 2nd to Sasha in all the 3pt shooting drills.
His 3 point shot has been promising so far. In his time in the g-league (23 game sample size), he shot 44.4% on 4.3 attempts. I know it doesn't say much since g-league is levels under the NBA, but it'd be more concerning if he had a bad %.

His 3 point shot has been promising so far. In his time in the g-league (23 game sample size), he shot 44.4% on 4.3 attempts. I know it doesn't say much since g-league is levels under the NBA, but it'd be more concerning if he had a bad %.
When you combine how he shot in college, the G-league, in practice with this team, and so far in his NBA games. He's clearly a capable shooter and is getting more comfortable quickly

Here is an article that lists the best defensive five-man lineups for the Kings in the month of March. Not surprisingly, Keon Ellis and Domantas Sabonis figure in all four of them:

https://aroyalpain.com/posts/4-sacr...hat-have-been-killing-it-defensively-lately/4

More surprisingly, perhaps, both Keegan Murray and Malik Monk appear in three of the best defensive lineups. With Ellis, it becomes not only possible but very effective on defense to play a three-guard lineup, where Keon moves to the three.

Unfortunately, they likely did it by losing a couple more games than they would have with him on the floor
Maybe, or maybe his developmental path is what's leading him to have so much success right now? If you gave him a big role from the jump, would he still be the same player? Or (more than likely) the extra months of development probably helped him get to the point he's at now.

And it's very hard to crack into a playoff rotation as a 2nd year UDFA when the team brough back it's top 8 rotation. Damn near impossible in most scenarios. Just shows how hard he's worked to get to this point where we basically need him on the floor 30+ MPG because he's been so impactful on defense.

This Magic game was eye-opening. Absolutely started to show a little shot-making and being more than just a no-usg/wide open C&S spacer that's awesome on defense.

Maybe, or maybe his developmental path is what's leading him to have so much success right now? If you gave him a big role from the jump, would he still be the same player? Or (more than likely) the extra months of development probably helped him get to the point he's at now.

And it's very hard to crack into a playoff rotation as a 2nd year UDFA when the team brough back it's top 8 rotation. Damn near impossible in most scenarios. Just shows how hard he's worked to get to this point where we basically need him on the floor 30+ MPG because he's been so impactful on defense.

This Magic game was eye-opening. Absolutely started to show a little shot-making and being more than just a no-usg/wide open C&S spacer that's awesome on defense.
I wanted him in the rotation since early this season when he got a couple starts when Fox was out. Everything he's doing now, looked very possible back then....and I got the sense that McNair saw the same thing, but waited till after the dead line to see how everything panned out. The contract was expected by some of us.

It's moot now though. I'm just satisfied that he's getting a lot of floor time in the stretch run here and we're capable of holding a good team under 120 points

Copied from Sixers game thread

Huh? Explain to me how Keon with our 3 best players, over the last 7 games he's started, is dominating, is "no context"

Keon has been taking the toughest guard assignment every single game he's started during this stretch. You act like he's out there guarding PJ Tucker every game.

Is it small sample still? Absolutely. Doesn't make it any less impressive how impactful his minutes have been since he's moved to being a starter.
I get it, my take probably sucks... I'm just trying to point out that the stat you quoted is noisy, not necessarily that the message is wrong and Keon isn't making a difference. Do I see Keon making a huge difference with my own eyes? Absolutely, no arguments there. But I just don't like that stat... first of all, it's for the team, not lineups with Keon, second of all, I can't even find the 7th game it's referring to based on its own criteria (granted I'm probably missing something), and they faced 2 'good' teams out of the 6 that qualify for the stat that was posted by that person. Am I picking nits and is this all futile to keep posting about? Yeah, probably!

As far as the PJ Tucker comment, cool, let's pick the worst offensive player in the game today. I get your point. But let's not act like Gradey Dick, Trent, Agbaji, Poole, Kispert, Cole Anthony and Suggs (offensively atleast, he's a sav on D) are that much better than replacement level players this year. For example, Maxey had a pretty nice night last night and got Keon in foul trouble. I am very interested to see how these next two against the Mavs go, and the games beyond. If Kyrie and/or Luka have off nights in these next two games then I'll be the first to blow my own post up

Keon also had an injury setback this year in November. He was making a jump in minutes, but then a sprained ankle knocked him out for awhile. Davion and Duarte took his minutes (and the Kings may have kept giving him minutes to showcase him at the trade deadline - though Davion is balling now).

Long story short - Keon may have been our best 2 guard since Day 1 this year, but sometimes the situation takes time to play out. Lots of egos involved. And Keon had to earn everything he is getting.

If he keeps it up, his 3 & D status and small contract really open up what the Kings can do to find a long term solution at the 4.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's the stuff not in the stat sheets that jumping out to me. The other night he had a strip steal falling out of bounds but was able to spike it into the opponent's legs to win the ball and today he ran the full length of the court to make a save when were were probably already up a dozen points.

If Mikal Bridges falls into our laps you don't turn him away but otherwise I think we are pretty solid at the wing and just need that piece between Keegan and Domas that can play both ends of the floor.

What a blunder by brown for sticking with huerter while he struggled the whole season and not giving ellis a chance for so long and no don't give me the conspiracy of showcasing guys for trade.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Keon has been one of the biggest bright spots this season. I really hope he spends some quality time in the offseason working on handling dho attacks to the rack and back cutting. Without getting into a long diatribe about why Kevin and monk work so well in the offensive sets, suffice to say that if Keon wants to be a full-time starter he needs to be more than a three an D guy.

It's the stuff not in the stat sheets that jumping out to me. The other night he had a strip steal falling out of bounds but was able to spike it into the opponent's legs to win the ball and today he ran the full length of the court to make a save when were were probably already up a dozen points.

If Mikal Bridges falls into our laps you don't turn him away but otherwise I think we are pretty solid at the wing and just need that piece between Keegan and Domas that can play both ends of the floor.
I'm curious to hear what a possible scenario would like, for a coveted player like Mikal Bridges to fall in a teams lap

We're not getting Mikal unless we trade away Keegan. Stein reported that the Nets didn't want a Rockets trade even if it gave them all of their picks back AND Jalen Green.. Shams also confirmed that the Nets officially rejected this trade. The Nets were also rumored to have rejected 4 1st round picks from Memphis.

How are we feeling about Keon's long-term outlook as a starting SG?

I'm not sold on it because I think there's some limitations from having a small backcourt. But I like him much more than Huerter.

Love Keon and hope he is the answer at the 2. The improvement over the course of the season has been spectacular. He still has a lot of little things to work on but if he can shoot 37+ percent from 3 and play elite defense that is the perfect role player to have on your team. Does a pretty decent job on the boards, doesn’t make a ton of mistakes and plays unselfish ball. His emergence not only saves us money but is low usage enough to seek out a higher usage wing (either in the offseason or trade deadline to finish off our starting five. I actually feel a bit bad for him financially, if he starts next year he would almost assuredly be the lowest paid guy in the league.

How are we feeling about Keon's long-term outlook as a starting SG?

I'm not sold on it because I think there's some limitations from having a small backcourt. But I like him much more than Huerter.
"Size" is many times over hyped. Huerter being a good example, where his length (wing span + standing reach) is actually slightly less than Keon's.

I think that Ellis is the starter come next season, unless they are unable to move Huerter and feel that they have to start him in order to increase or maintain his trade value