JT wants to get traded (and other trade discussion)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
You are making it sound that because Dragic played professionally he has as many miles in the legs as if he played in the NBA from younger age which is simply not the case. He played for lower level teams in Europe who participated in their local competitions only and in the cup (where they were early exits). This equates to 1 game per week in a season that is 20 games at most.

His only "bigger" club was for one season where he played for KK Olimpija and they participated in euroleague that year and did not get out of the group stage. Thats the most careers he has played in his pre-NBA career.

While he played professionaly in Europe the intensity and frequency of practices and games if far superior. All of his professional seasons in Europe equates at most to a season and a half in the NBA. Hardly a physical wear and tear that you are suggesting
Actually, I'm not making it sound like that. You may have read that into what I said, but it's not what I said. If you want to take those five seasons and equate them to three 31-game college seasons, that's fine. That makes him roughly equivalent to any American kid who played three years in college and then entered the NBA at age 22. Like I said, 29 is 29. Whether his career is about to decline or not is genetic. He doesn't get a secret advantage by entering the NBA a little later than some others. Actually, it's usually the guys who are great at a young age that have longer careers. Their peak is so much higher that the plateau can extend a few years without a significant drop-off. I don't know the future of course. I'm just saying that Dragic has a very small track record of high level performance, mediocre overall career numbers, and he's reaching the age where the majority of NBA journeymen start to decline. It doesn't add up to a player I would want to take a chance on with a lot of guaranteed money.

"If" being the operative term; I'd hate for us to find ourselves in a situation where our ability to make moves requires us to count on a fifty percent increase in the cap.
True. Though it seems it will be happening.

I'll say this and then I'm pretty done/tired of Dragic talk:

I don't see a lot of holes in Goran's game and I like his game. With the cap boom, the money doesn't bug me too much. What bothers me is that everything that is getting leaked to the press makes it sound like Goran would rather be a tank commander in a big city than come to the various teams in which he could return to the playoffs.

Agents are blowing up guys like Kanter and Dragic as though they can carry a team when they can't even get into the playoffs as a rotation player. That sort of ego is not good for chemistry.

Ultimately, with the belief that this franchise can resign Dragic in the offseason, we end up with an ALL-NBA Point guard. The Kings appear to be willing to give him what he asks for. That's a risk well worth taking.
What the hell is with all this love for Dragic?
I haven;t seen too many of his games, but when I have seen him, he's not all that and a bag of chips AT ALL.

Someone please show me how he is remotely a max player:
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3423/goran-dragic

Guy has had two good seasons.
TWO.

For fun, look at Dragic's career, then look at Darren Collison's.
Notice anything in both of their Year 6's?
Darren Collison (2015, 1st year as starter)
34.8.473.373 3PTR.788FT3.2 RBD5.6 ast1.5 stl16.1 pts
Dragic (2013, 1st year as starter)
33.5.443.319 3PTR.748FT3.1 RBD 7.4 ast1.6 stl14.7 pts

If we simply improve this team around Rudy/Collison/DMC/BMac, Collison could EASILY start getting the same kind of attention that was fawned on Dragic last year just because the Suns started surprisingly winning (but still didn't make the playoffs).

Dragic is not worth that kind of money (18 mil+), and not remotely worth giving up an important piece of this Kings puzzle in BMac.
Has Dragic even started in a significant game in his career? (No playoffs as starter, and is he a proven clutch performer in the 4th qtr crunchtime (the only time it matters, when discussing max players/deals)).

What the hell is with all this love for Dragic?
I haven;t seen too many of his games, but when I have seen him, he's not all that and a bag of chips AT ALL.

Someone please show me how he is remotely a max player:
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3423/goran-dragic

Guy has had two good seasons.
TWO.

For fun, look at Dragic's career, then look at Darren Collison's.
Notice anything in both of their Year 6's?
Darren Collison (2015, 1st year as starter)
34.8.473.373 3PTR.788FT3.2 RBD5.6 ast1.5 stl16.1 pts
Dragic (2013, 1st year as starter)
33.5.443.319 3PTR.748FT3.1 RBD 7.4 ast1.6 stl14.7 pts

If we simply improve this team around Rudy/Collison/DMC/BMac, Collison could EASILY start getting the same kind of attention that was fawned on Dragic last year just because the Suns started surprisingly winning (but still didn't make the playoffs).

Dragic is not worth that kind of money (18 mil+), and not remotely worth giving up an important piece of this Kings puzzle in BMac.
Has Dragic even started in a significant game in his career? (No playoffs as starter, and is he a proven clutch performer in the 4th qtr crunchtime (the only time it matters, when discussing max players/deals)).
Err Collison was a starter in both Indiana and he started off as a starter with the Mavs

Err Collison was a starter in both Indiana and he started off as a starter with the Mavs
Ah - you're right. I skipped over the IND seasons. He was a full-time starter there. (Not in Dal or LAC or NO)

So up through his 6th season, Darren's actually done MORE with his career than Dragic had?

Dragic looks like a score first PG, who uses the pick&roll mainly to get his own shot and handles the ball most of the time. He is a good addition, if we want to change our offense a bit and play some possessions from the outside instead of giving the ball to DMC or Rudy all the time to play from the low or high post. We had a pretty similar guard with IT, but Dragic has a legit size. It all depends if he is willing to share the ball and the way I see him, I doubt he is.
But we have to take into account, that the majoritiy of PG's today are scorers. I would prefer someone like Wall or even Schröder, but Dragic isn't bad and a 3 guard rotation of Dragic, Ben and DC might work out pretty well.

dude12

Hall of Famer
We really should be looking to improve our bench....it's about what we can do right now. We don't have the assets to give up and get back less assets....I like Dragic a lot but he's not a max player....would cripple the team from making more moves. The only move that is remotely appealing to teams would be dealing either JT or Landry and moving Stauskas in the deal.....and DWill's expiring is another piece that could be appealing. If you can't get anything with that then it's moving Sessions for whatever.

I've been one of the most enthusiastic about getting Goran, but I'm over it now. He's just acting like too much of a Diva - don't need the anxiety come FA time.

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojYahooNBA Yahoo Sources: With Goran Dragic still insisting he wouldn't re-sign, Sacramento is increasingly hesitant on pursuing deal with Phoenix.

6:34 AM - 19 Feb 2015
Agreed. Not sure if it's him or his agency doing most of the chest puffing, but no thanks.

@EthanJSkolnick

Beware of leaks for leverage today, from teams, agents & other teams trying to muddle market.
Also makes the day fun though. Deron would be terrible get for this team. I rather have Joe Johnson ... and I can't believe I just typed that.

True. Though it seems it will be happening.

I'll say this and then I'm pretty done/tired of Dragic talk:

I don't see a lot of holes in Goran's game and I like his game. With the cap boom, the money doesn't bug me too much. What bothers me is that everything that is getting leaked to the press makes it sound like Goran would rather be a tank commander in a big city than come to the various teams in which he could return to the playoffs.

Agents are blowing up guys like Kanter and Dragic as though they can carry a team when they can't even get into the playoffs as a rotation player. That sort of ego is not good for chemistry.
To be fair to Dragic, it's not exactly his fault that 50 wins wasn't good enough for the playoffs out west last year. Dude flat out carried a pretty average talented team into being within a game of the playoffs.

Afflalo is out of the picture.

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojYahooNBA
Follow
Denver has traded Arron Afflalo to Portland, league source tells Yahoo.
8:26 AM - 19 Feb 2015

Actually am glad to see this news come out about Dragic, not only has he been vastly overrated by many, in my opinion, but seems to even more vastly overrate himself. Wants to play in a big market, wants to get paid the maximum, and wants to be the man, nice attitude as he deserves it so much. We will see how he gets along with Bryant, Rose, or Anthony in one of those big markets, I'm sure he will get to be the man he wants to be.

It looks like we lost out on Afflalo too and the Blazers didn't even really give up that much, seems like the rumored asking prices always end up way lower than what actually happens, shows that maybe we have a chance on one of these trades.

At this point I think it would be best to focus our attention on a point guard with Collison's injury. Those types of injuries tend to linger for awhile, I wouldn't expect him to play consistently for the rest of the season and right now we need stability, especially at point guard where we only have Sessions and McCallum, neither ready for the starting role. I think Ty Lawson would be great, especially with the familiarity with him and Karl. I don't think Williams would be a disaster either, but I'm going to need Plumlee with that. Can't just take on 20 million in salary for that level of player.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Pete does not see Collison as the long term solution at PG. Would not surprise me if he things Deron is a good idea.
Well, going after Deron is.... obviously a horribly ill conceived idea. He is done, and has a huge contract.. Nobody in their right mind would take that albatross off the Nets hands..

So yeah, probably going to happen.

"He is like a chubby Steph Curry!" - Vivek