How to situate our backcourt...

If Malone is really about defense, this should be our back court:

1- Evans 25m / Douglas 14m / McCallum 9m
2- McLemore 23m / Tony Allen* 18m / Evans 7m

* Kings should sign FA Tony Allen or another defensive & veteran SG via a trade. Allen should play most of his minutes with Douglas and Patterson (who are both capable of creating enough spacing).

Thornton, Freddete and Salmons should be traded for more depth at SF/PF/C, even if it means taking bad contract/s. How about all three for the worst contract in the NBA - Amare Stoudemire? I'm sure the Knicks would take it. If not, taking Camby off their hand (another terrible contract) should clinch it.

Thomas should be signed, but his poor defense only justifies him getting a few minutes on occasion, instead of McCallum. He needs to remain in NBA shape to remain relevant for trades, but he doesn't fit the Kings long term plans.

/offtopic

This should be fun to watch:
1- Evans
2- McLemore
3- Iguodala/Deng (Vivek can pay, right?)
4- Patterson
5- Cousins

When was the last time the Kings had defense and spacing?

Last edited:
If Malone is really about defense, this should be our back court:

1- Evans 25m / Douglas 14m / McCallum 9m
2- McLemore 23m / Tony Allen* 18m / Evans 7m
* Kings should sign FA Tony Allen or another defensive & veteran SG via a trade. Allen should play most of his minutes with Douglas and Patterson (who are both capable of creating enough spacing).

Thornton, Freddete and Salmons should be traded for more depth at SF/PF/C, even if it means taking bad contract/s. How about all three for the worst contract in the NBA - Amare Stoudemire? I'm sure the Knicks would take it. If not, taking Camby off their hand (another terrible contract) should clinch it.

Thomas should be signed, but his poor defense only justifies him getting a few minutes on occasion, instead of McCallum. He needs to remain in NBA shape to remain relevant for trades, but he doesn't fit the Kings long term plans.

/offtopic

This should be fun to watch:
1- Evans
2- McLemore
3- Iguodala/Deng (Vivek can pay, right?)
4- Patterson
5- Cousins

When was the last time the Kings had defense and spacing?
Good teams don't plan on their starting backcourt only averaging 25 and 23 minutes a game. That is a recipe for disaster. If Tyreke and McLemore are out starting backcourt (which is a real possibility), I would expect them to be averaging around 35+ minutes a game.

Yes, you keep minor players who know that they are not seeing a lot of action unless there's foul trouble or injury. Coaches prefer to have rotations like 35/30/25/6(over the course of a season that 6 usually grows to 10-12 due to injuries) minutes for their 4 guards, not 26/25/23/22. Same with front-court. That's why benches are full of combo-guards, tweeners and versatile big men. That's where JT's main value actually is - being versatile and having role for 3rd big regardless who starts.

Good teams don't plan on their starting backcourt only averaging 25 and 23 minutes a game. That is a recipe for disaster. If Tyreke and McLemore are out starting backcourt (which is a real possibility), I would expect them to be averaging around 35+ minutes a game.
Among the 60 starting guards in the league, only 16 played 35 minutes or more a game. You expect 2 players from this select group to come from the Kings next year, with one being a rookie who is not even guaranteed to start? Good luck with that. I'm willing to bet that if both Evans and McLemore stay on the team, my estimates of 32 and 23 minutes (respectively) will be closer than your 35+/35+ estimates.

Among the 60 starting guards in the league, only 16 played 35 minutes or more a game. You expect 2 players from this select group to come from the Kings next year, with one being a rookie who is not even guaranteed to start? Good luck with that. I'm willing to bet that if both Evans and McLemore stay on the team, my estimates of 32 and 23 minutes (respectively) will be closer than your 35+/35+ estimates.
First of all, you listed BOTH of our stating guards playing 25 minutes a game or less (that would guarantee us being a bad team). I used 35 minutes as a goal to shoot for. If they are both good enough to start, we should hope they can play around 35 minutes a game (especially with them being so young). Now if one of them ends up between 30-35, I would be fine with that. However, I don't want both of my starting guard playing under 30 minutes a game, much less 25.