How to situate our backcourt...

Plenty of discussion on how we will work out the back court jam we have after selecting two guards today...

I think we definitely keep McLemore for the future. That's about where it stops in terms of certainty. It seems unlikely that Douglas will stay with the team so he is ruled out. I think in terms of our starting PG, the team will go with either Evans or IT and seeing as they haven't picked up Thomas' team option, I think they are going to keep Evans here. Now, we should deal Jimmer, no matter what it takes. He has the most holes of all guards on this team (including McCallum). We need to deal Jimmer while he still has some value. Thronton I think can go either way, if we pick up some nice pieces, maybe a first round pick, we trade him, but honestly, he is still a very good scorer and be helpful off the bench. I think we keep McCallum and Thornton on the bench. So we are possibly looking at this:

PG: Tyreke/McCallum
SG: McLemore/Thornton

We can pick up something from the Jimmer trade, maybe and expiring contract or a pick too.

How do you guys think we should deal with our back court??

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I didn't even consider PDA letting IT walk until a few mins ago, but it's a distinct possibility even though ideally I think you run out Reke/McL with IT as the spark.

SG: McLemore/Fredette
SF: Free Agent or Trade/Free Agent or Trade
PF: Free Agent or Trade/JT or PPat
C: Cousins/Aldrich

This is what I posted in the other thread. The reason I have McCallum over IT is he will be the better distributor which we badly need. Jimmer or Thornton are interchangeable here

Last edited:
SG: Macklemore/Fredette
SF: Free Agent or Trade/Free Agent or Trade
PF: Free Agent or Trade/JT or PPat
C: Cousins/Aldrich

This is what I posted in the other thread. The reason I have McCallum over IT is he will be the better distributor which we badly need. Jimmer or Thornton are interchangeable here
We got Macklemore? Guess the new pregame song is gonn be thrift shop!

Not picking up ITs option seems insane. Its at a very low cost relative to his contributions, and could be easily moved further into the season if you were looking to get something in return. Seems stupid to let him walk for nothing with such a cheap contract.

Not picking up ITs option seems insane. Its at a very low cost relative to his contributions, and could be easily moved further into the season if you were looking to get something in return. Seems stupid to let him walk for nothing with such a cheap contract.
They've said all along they want to change the culture and winning right now isn't the goal. As cheap as IT would be for one more year there are very few people who saw him as a long term player here. Letting him walk is a tough call, but maybe the right one.

I keep thinking about Coach Malone preaching D first everywhere he's been and how that mantra fits into Kings existing roster and any FA signings with all our cap space. Toney Douglas an excellent D-up guard is now likely gone but what about another extremely elite defensive guard who's a FA - the veteran Tony Allen?

I think the backcourt will situate itself to a certain extent when Evans walks. These guys were willing and trying to move up to get McLemore, I think it's pretty clear that Evans is on his way out now. The question is what will they do with the money they'll have? Hold onto it or spend it to fill the SF spot? Stay glued Kings fans.

I think the backcourt will situate itself to a certain extent when Evans walks. These guys were willing and trying to move up to get McLemore, I think it's pretty clear that Evans is on his way out now. The question is what will they do with the money they'll have? Hold onto it or spend it to fill the SF spot? Stay glued Kings fans.
Boo

Plenty of discussion on how we will work out the back court jam we have after selecting two guards today...

I think we definitely keep McLemore for the future. That's about where it stops in terms of certainty. It seems unlikely that Douglas will stay with the team so he is ruled out. I think in terms of our starting PG, the team will go with either Evans or IT and seeing as they haven't picked up Thomas' team option, I think they are going to keep Evans here. Now, we should deal Jimmer, no matter what it takes. He has the most holes of all guards on this team (including McCallum). We need to deal Jimmer while he still has some value. Thronton I think can go either way, if we pick up some nice pieces, maybe a first round pick, we trade him, but honestly, he is still a very good scorer and be helpful off the bench. I think we keep McCallum and Thornton on the bench. So we are possibly looking at this:

SG: McLemore/Thornton

We can pick up something from the Jimmer trade, maybe and expiring contract or a pick too.

How do you guys think we should deal with our back court??
Usually you try to trot out a 3 guard rotation that will eat up most of the minutes at PG and SG. A 3 guard rotation of Evans, McLemore, and Thornton wont work. What happens when Evans has to come out? We can't run a McLemore and Thornton backcourt. That's absolutely no ballhandling and playmaking. You might be able to get away with it if you have Salmons running the entire offense, but do you really want to put your offense in the hands of Salmons. We need a PG and SG along with Evans in this 3 guard rotation. We have the SG (McLemore) so now we need the PG. I think Thomas would be excellent in this setting off the bench. If we can get rid of Thornton and Fredette, and retain Thomas, we should be in good shape going into the season.

I think you'll find that they plan on starting Tyreke with McLemore, and not letting Tyreke walk. It makes too much sense to have the two of them together. McLemore's weaknesses: superior ballhandling, advanced driving ability (Tyreke's obvious strengths). Tyreke's weakness: shooting (McLemore's strength). You add in DMC kicking out to McLemore or receiving drop off passes from Tyreke when he drives... it just works in my mind. They won't be able to pack the paint like before, even more so if the SF we get can shoot as well.

I actually think they want to keep Evans. I mean, the potential of the back court of Evans-McLemore is so high it would be too hard to pass up on... They complement each other well.

IT is a great value at his price. I am pretty sure they'll pick up his team option. They can't really go into the season with nobody you can really trust to run the offense.

I'm still waiting for the day when our SF problems are solved. Every year all we do is make things harder for ourselves. I hope this time it'll be different. I've never been a fan of stockpiling at one position because then you'll be selling low. If it was hard to get rid of our guards before it just got even harder. Opposing GM will have the leverage - "ok Pete, you don't want to accept my deal? That's fine with me, you keep your SF hole and good luck with trying to give all your guards minutes".

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I didn't even consider PDA letting IT walk until a few mins ago, but it's a distinct possibility even though ideally I think you run out Reke/McL with IT as the spark.
The first thing I thought of when McCallum was picked is that it spells the end of IT's career with the Kings. Isn't McCallum near 6'2?" I wasn't paying attention. I have never liked IT as a player. To me, I think he creates chaos unless that was just the Smart offense. I cannot explain in coherent basketball terms but it seemed like his main purpose (in his eyes) was to dribble around frantically to find himself a shot. He wasn't a great three point shooter and if anyone thinks he is, we can revisit the Tyreke conversation is statistically, Tyreke wasn't far behind IT.

Douglas has to be let go and I'm a little disappointed but I don't see any options. We need SOME guards but I suspect there will be a lot of effort put out to trying to structure deals to unload Jimmer, who is pretty much a distraction, and MT who has legitimate trade value.

So, simplistically, McLemore replaces MT eventually and McCallum replaces IT. I'm happy I am not a GM.

I actually think they want to keep Evans. I mean, the potential of the back court of Evans-McLemore is so high it would be too hard to pass up on... They complement each other well.
Vivek and Kings brain trust surely had somewhere in back of their minds another recently constructed backcourt that is blossoming nearby - GSW duo of Curry and Thompson. Our backcourt duo of Evans and McLemore are poised to be better overall, IMO. Plus, our two are both 6'5"-6'6" - stronger, better defenders.

I hate to think it, but IT may be the odd man out if he we have the option of letting him walk. Which is too bad, because he has some value and could be packaged. I think if we could let Jimmer walk instead, we would. Not sure what kind of value Jimmer has, but the front office better figure it out quick.

We all wanted to see what the front office was going to do to shape the roster. What we found is that they are not even a little bit happy with the back court on this team and that it was easier to fix it in a weak draft than it was to solve that SF problem.

Agreed, I think they'll be a great combo and don't really understand all the concern. It's not like Tyreke struggled at point guard because he was getting stripped all the time *cough*jimmer*cough*, he just didn't have anyone to pass to who could make a shot. He worked pretty well with Beno, but Beno can't play a lick of defense. I, for one, am excited.

They've said all along they want to change the culture and winning right now isn't the goal. As cheap as IT would be for one more year there are very few people who saw him as a long term player here. Letting him walk is a tough call, but maybe the right one.
Unbelievable. The same people throwing a hissy fit about Reke are willing to let IT, who will cost $1mi,l walk for nothing.

Nice hypocrisy going on

Unbelievable. The same people throwing a hissy fit about Reke are willing to let IT, who will cost $1mi,l walk for nothing.

Nice hypocrisy going on
IT is so unbelievably overvalued around here it makes me sick. That Evans guy is such a scrub, and IT is unquestionably the superior, more dominant player. Especially if you ask Gary. Hee hee!

IT is a great value at his price. I am pretty sure they'll pick up his team option. They can't really go into the season with nobody you can really trust to run the offense.
I think in all the discussion regarding Tyreke that it keeps getting missed that Tyreke has been working out in Sacramento. We don't actually know what Malone's offense is going to look like, but it could be that after spending time with Tyreke Malone feels comfortable that Tyreke can play the primary guard in his system.

With that said...I wouldn't really be in favor in letting IT walk. I hate the hype that the organization gave him all last year...but the production you can get is great for his value. But McCallum could end up being IT's replacement...especially if the organization is really high on him.

Nice hypocrisy going on
I'm not fond of IT as the starter simply because he thinks too highly of himself and shoots too much. However, at that price I would gladly let him lead the 2nd unit. I would keep him over Jimmer any day of the week as long as he comes off the bench where he can have the green light to shoot.

IT is so unbelievably overvalued around here it makes me sick. That Evans guy is such a scrub, and IT is unquestionably the superior, more dominant player. Especially if you ask Gary. Hee hee!
Give me a break. I don't care what your misguided feelings are towards IT. Letting him walk over $1million would be far worse than ANYTHING we do relating to Reke. A fringe-starter and potential 6MOY candidate at $1mil is one of the best bargains in the league. If we don't want him, fine, but you sure as hell pick up that team option and go get something for him.

I'm not fond of IT as the starter simply because he thinks too highly of himself and shoots too much. However, at that price I would gladly let him lead the 2nd unit. I would keep him over Jimmer any day of the week as long as he comes off the bench where he can have the green light to shoot.
Again, I could not care less what your feelings for IT are. He's currently an incredible bargain for the production he brings. 17 PPG 5 APG on 60% TS the last 2 months of the season at $1mil/year is absolutely nuts. You without question pick up the TO