Head coach & GM options

Smart is our best bet to get Wiggins, but thats not a sure thing..And he'll definitely run Reke out of town.
That's horribly incorrect. Smart, a coach with zero coaching security, will choose to run his players into the ground for a few extra wins at the end of the season rather than go for player development. You saw it this year. With no directive from the front office, Smart would obviously choose to make the best decision for himself, and that's as many wins as he could eeke out. While other teams were dropping a few games to jump up a few spots in the draft, we were busy dropping right back into where we are most comfortable - lotto purgatory.

You want a coach that will get you Wiggins? A good coach with a front office that understands the journey will get you there. A minimum salaried coach on a 1-2 year deal is looking after his own ***.

How can someone still believe there could be even a small chance to see Smart back?!? In my opinion, it's impossible. No way. As soon as Vivek buys the team, he's gone, and I can't wait for that day. I want to see him as far as possible from this team. Give me any coach you want, the Van Gundys, Shaw, McMillan, Sloan, Scott, Jackson, Frank, whoever, but not Smart. Even a retarded donkey would be an improvement.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Smart better be gone. Does anyone remember a rumor/quote/whatever that a new coach was all but sewed up several weeks ago and that we would all be very happy?

Granted this may have been a dream.

Also, if Petrie wants the job I believe the new owners will be happy to have him. Me, too. I think their is a significant possibility they will keep Smart for now. These possibilities could be better than "change at any cost".
Uh.....what?

No one is talking change at any cost. But if you think there aren't better alternatives out there, a number of them, I really don't know what to say.

It's difficult to provide a list of potential GMs without knowing a ton about NBA front offices around the league, but that doesn't mean there aren't good candidates out there.

I'm disappointed Philadelphia hired Sam Hinkie. Not that I'd ever heard of him before, but the description of what he brings I've heard since makes me think he would have been a good fit for what Ranadivé wants to do.

Sloan just turned down the bucks....the day after our announcement. Coincedence?
His agent said that they were looking for a team that was contending and that he didn't want to spend a few years rebuilding. If he turned down the Bucks (who actually went to the playoffs this year), I don't see how we fit his wants any better.

His agent said that they were looking for a team that was contending and that he didn't want to spend a few years rebuilding. If he turned down the Bucks (who actually went to the playoffs this year), I don't see how we fit his wants any better.
Maybe, maybe not. Mouth pieces have to say something. Lets face it if you put the Kings in the East they probably would make the play offs. Heck give the exact team we had on the floor a halfway decent coach we make the play offs in the west. I still say if Sloan watches Cousins and Evans close he gets interested.

Last edited:
Put the Bucks in the Western Conference and they would have finished 11th this season, and that's not even taking into account how many more games they would have lost playing more games against the West. My point is that the Bucks aren't very close to having a team that can compete for a title IMO.

Put the Bucks in the Western Conference and they would have finished 11th this season, and that's not even taking into account how many more games they would have lost playing more games against the West. My point is that the Bucks aren't very close to having a team that can compete for a title IMO.
I'm not saying the Bucks are good, I'm just saying we're not.

I'm not saying the Bucks are good, I'm just saying we're not.
The Buck are a team with a lot of good players but no real stand out or Marque player unless you count JJ Redick or Monte. They have FA's to sign and I don't belive they will get much in the draft at 15. They also have a cash flow problem. Just not a good comparison to the Kings. We got new life, 2 top talents, an influx of cash, cap space and a 1-6 pick coming. On top of all that with new owners and new management it could be a great fresh start for a coach who wants to have it his way. Maybe Sloan can find a top 4-8 team that is about to go a new direction, but I doubt it. And the big teams that want to make big changes have some serious dead weight to lift. Fixing the Celts or the Lakers is going to take more than money, they need young talent, and the problem is NOT the coaching.

Again Sloan has always been a long shot for Sacramento but this might be the time where that shot is just a bit shorter.

I am a bit nervous becuase Carmichael Dave has been spot on with everything so far and one comment he made the other day is that he doesn't believe new ownership will re-sign Tyreke and he was just an uncommital on Cousins. It's great that we got a new ownership and the team is staying but I hope those guys are basketball savvy and don't turn us into a jump shooting team like the GSW!

I am a bit nervous becuase Carmichael Dave has been spot on with everything so far and one comment he made the other day is that he doesn't believe new ownership will re-sign Tyreke and he was just an uncommital on Cousins. It's great that we got a new ownership and the team is staying but I hope those guys are basketball savvy and don't turn us into a jump shooting team like the GSW!
I'd gladly swap rosters with the Warriors in a heartbeat

I'm glad you said this! The Warriors had a fantastic postseason but ultimately, their style of play does not win championships. As cliche as it sounds, you live and die by the 3.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'd gladly swap rosters with the Warriors in a heartbeat
Frankly I wouldn't. Fun run. But likely topped out with a fragile expensive roster.

Now, if our new owners were to turn out to be as stupid as our old owners...then sure. Because frankly your jumpshooting team isn't going to be able to be too much better than the Warriors. But you can always beat a jumpshooting team with a good enough power team inside.

You mean the team that just made the 2nd round and took the Spurs 6 games? Warriors are in a far better place than we are and that team is only going to get better.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You mean the team that just made the 2nd round and took the Spurs 6 games? Warriors are in a far better place than we are and that team is only going to get better.
We'll see. They have youth, but a lot of health issues you associate with teams much older. I think the Spurs are constantly vulnerable at this stage. you can just feel the underlying weakness. I was kind of hoping the Warriors made it through just because I wanted to see how they would do against Memphis as a better measuring stick. Not a great team, but one that will absolutely make you play disciplined basketball if you want to beat them.

Here's the thing....GS has far, far better complimentary pieces than does Sac.

Let's say that Curry and Thompson are GS's two best players.

If you flipped Sacramento and GS rosters except for Curry/Thompson and Cousins/Tyreke I contend that the Cousins/Tyreke team surround by GS's complimentary players is a far superior play-off team.

And if you want to contend that Bogut is GS's 2nd best instead of Thompson, then that swap would favor Sacramento even more.

Sacramento has their two potential play-off stud players in Cousins and Evans. We now need to have our Owners and FO work to put all the complimentary pieces around them. If they can manage that along with bringing in a high quality coach who can implement a system and accountability to get the most out of Cousins and Tyreke, then you would see a major turn-around for this team.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Phil Jackson was on Jay Leno. He said he had talked quite a bit with Hansen and the offer sounded good. When Jay asked if he would go to Sacramento, he said "I don't like Sacramento all that much." Take it for what it's worth, folks. New owners, same team, and the killer is the city itself.

Phil Jackson was on Jay Leno. He said he had talked quite a bit with Hansen and the offer sounded good. When Jay asked if he would go to Sacramento, he said "I don't like Sacramento all that much." Take it for what it's worth, folks. New owners, same team, and the killer is the city itself.
You may be able to blame whomever was ringing that cowbell in his ear back in 02

oh well. in the euphoria sparked by the departure of the Maloofs, these news don't bother me too much. the Jackson and Shaw combination looked enticing, but if he doesn't want to come to Sacramento, so be it. there are alternatives, possibly even better (as Brick rightly pointed out, Jackson has no track record whatsover as an executive) and Phil's stance cannot be taken as representative for the league as a whole. at least it's not about how screwed up the whole situation is that might give more reason to worry.