Head coach & GM options

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meh. Just meh.

Given Wallace's draft history I'd rather have Petrie stick around, at least long enough to make this year's pick.

Kevin Pritchard, Troy Weaver and Tom Penn would all inspire more confidence for me.

At this point I'd gamble on Travis Schlenk as an unknown over Wallace.

We'll see.

Meh. Just meh.

Given Wallace's draft history I'd rather have Petrie stick around, at least long enough to make this year's pick.

Kevin Pritchard, Troy Weaver and Tom Penn would all inspire more confidence for me.

We'll see.
Pretty much the way I see it! I would love to get Pritchard! His biggest mistake was giving Roy maximum extension knowing all the knee issues he had but overall the dude did a great job at Portland. I would love to have him as the GM. Heck I would even rather keep Petrie than Wallace.

Wallace is one huge "meh"!

Mike Dunleavy......NO THANK YOU

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 43m

Chris Wallace had strong interview for GM post but Kings apparently not done looking at candidates, planning sitdown w/Mike Dunleavy as well

Meh. Just meh.

We'll see.
are Pritchard and Weaver really options, though? haven't heard any specifics on Pritchard, but he took the Indiana job just last year and with Bird withdrawing and Welsh's age being what it is, he should be in a pretty powerful spot with a much, much better team. of Weaver, I just remember reading somewhere that he's unlikely to leave OKC.

I would be severely disappointed if this turns out to be the hire. He's been one of the worst gms over the last decade plus and is widely ridiculed as such. This move would concern me as much as anything the maloofs did from a basketball operations side.

Mike Dunleavy......NO THANK YOU

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 43m

Chris Wallace had strong interview for GM post but Kings apparently not done looking at candidates, planning sitdown w/Mike Dunleavy as well
Still think there are better options but is prefer dunleavy to Wallace. Dunleavy is a crap coach but actually overall made some decent moves as a gm.

are Pritchard and Weaver really options, though? haven't heard any specifics on Pritchard, but he took the Indiana job just last year and with Bird withdrawing and Welsh's age being what it is, he should be in a pretty powerful spot with a much, much better team. of Weaver, I just remember reading somewhere that he's unlikely to leave OKC.
For two years running, OKC have refused teams permission to talk to Weaver! Now if I was Weaver and had ambitions of becoming GM, I would be majorly pissed off! Having said that, he is probably more than happy where he is.

Pritchard is an interesting one. I think it was in the Bee that Bird is considering coming back and Walsh would want him back. If Bird is back at Indy, Pritchard's role reduces and he is one guy that likes to be in control. Despite giving Roy a maximum deal and drafting Oden, I like what he did in Portland. His aggresive nature and ability to build a team by valueing certain players is a huge plus for me.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
In fairness, most people in the same position would have drafted Oden.
They did a fan poll and it was at least 3:1 to draft Oden. If he had panned out he would have been an anchor for 10-15 years. Genuinely nice guy too by all standards. Pritch is off the hook for that one. Roy... well, that was a shakier deal but I don't think anyone would have predicted he'd have retired twice by the end of this season. The Aldridge-Roy-Oden played just over 80 games together and the team record hovered around .700 for those games. He also was busier than anyone on draft day which I think would excite all of us around here who tired of Petrie sitting on his hands (maybe Maloofs partly to blame though).

He is one guy I'd love to have. But I am thinking this GS guy would work well with our new coach so of all the other realistic names floating around, I say we take the chance on him (Schlenk?)

I think Malone chose SAC over LAC for a number of reasons. Most likely job security, the Sac job will be viewed as a project, I'm sure Vivek gave Malone the word that "you are my guy", the organization will stick with Malone for the long haul, even if there are issues with Cousins. Vivek will trade cousins over looking for a new coach, and for good reason. In LA it would be at the minimum a WCF appearance or bust, not to mention having to work for Donald Sterling. Second i'm sure he and his family have settled in North Cali, and don't want to move to the big city of LA.

So it was go to SAC with the owner behind you where there is less pressure to win now, but this is your team now. Or go to LA where you will come in as a mercenary with a reckless owner, albeit much better roster.

The Sacramento Kings have sent out feelers to determine whether Larry Bird might be interested in their vacant general manager position.

Bird reportedly ranks near the top of Vivek Ranadive's candidate list.

Bird stepped down as president of the Indiana Pacers last summer, due in part to health issues with his back and shoulder.

Via Ailene Voisin/Sacramento Bee

The Sacramento Kings have sent out feelers to determine whether Larry Bird might be interested in their vacant general manager position.

Bird reportedly ranks near the top of Vivek Ranadive's candidate list.

Bird stepped down as president of the Indiana Pacers last summer, due in part to health issues with his back and shoulder.

Via Ailene Voisin/Sacramento Bee
Oh my...
Come on Larry! You can work with some amazing talent here in Reke and DMC