Hart/Potapenko for Amundson/Williams (merged)

Yeah, I just don't think it's worth agonizing over Amundson and Williams when they aren't going to get any playing time in even the best of scenarios. People are being seduced by potential -- and these guys didn't even show enough potential to get themselves drafted. The whole thing is really incosequential. None of the big guys on the roster right now are a solution. Guys like Amundson and Williams are a dime a dozen -- the D-Leauge is full of athletic bigs who haven't amounted to much. Maybe one of them will pan out, but it's like winning the lottery.

People around here are acting like the Kings will carry 15 players on the roster for sure. There has been mention in the media that they may well not carry that many. (radio or Bee, I can't remember) For all anybody knows, the team will only carry the required 12.

I just can't get worked up over who will sit on the end of the bench, even more so when I don't even know how many seats there are.

what team in their right mind would want Hart or Pot at the end of the season ?....they are useless trade bait....the FA market will be rich with good players and most teams have a Hart/Pot duo on their team just as filler anyway....Cut em....

what team in their right mind would want Hart or Pot at the end of the season ?....they are useless trade bait....the FA market will be rich with good players and most teams have a Hart/Pot duo on their team just as filler anyway....Cut em....

no one would want hart and pop. they stink! ((((with a bold exclamation point)))). but if you throw miller or thomas in the mix we're sure to get SOMEONE in return.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
no one would want hart and pop. they stink! ((((with a bold exclamation point)))). but if you throw miller or thomas in the mix we're sure to get SOMEONE in return.
Real easy to say - but unless you're playing fantasy basketball it's just not that easy to do. If you're going to trade you want something of equal or better value in return.

We all know how much you hate Brad Miller. Well, the truth of the matter is there aren't that many better big guys floating around out there we could get to replace him. As far as Kenny Thomas goes, there just doesn't seem to be much of a demand for him.

Let's just wait and see what plays out, shall we?

Yeah, I just don't think it's worth agonizing over Amundson and Williams when they aren't going to get any playing time in even the best of scenarios. People are being seduced by potential -- and these guys didn't even show enough potential to get themselves drafted.
key word there is potential... its what they have.. and why alot of us kings fans want them both to stay...

we all know that there not gonna produce straight away, be nice if they could though, but im saying that alot of kings fans want both to stay, becasue of a role they may have in the future...

i myself am hoping justin williams can turn into a defensive, rebounding and shotblocking machine in a kings uniform a couple of yrs down the track.... mabye even earlier...

Entity

Hall of Famer
key word there is potential... its what they have.. and why alot of us kings fans want them both to stay...

we all know that there not gonna produce straight away, be nice if they could though, but im saying that alot of kings fans want both to stay, becasue of a role they may have in the future...

i myself am hoping justin williams can turn into a defensive, rebounding and shotblocking machine in a kings uniform a couple of yrs down the track.... mabye even earlier...
Neither did Ben Wallace or Brad Miller both former All-Stars and both undrafted big men. Lets no go with the undrafted aspect of things because when it comes down to it. Draft prospects are highly regaurded for their offensive production and that is not why Lou or Justin were invited to camp.

^ ohh i would love justin williams to stay... im just saying that alot of kings fans including myself love both the potential the undrafted rookies on our team because of their potential, not on offense (we have that already), but on defense and hustle...

particularly justin williams... i have to say this again

i want him to stay sooo bad!!!

I like Amundson too, but he is a work in progess. Justin Williams could be part of our active roster and sit on the bench and play limited minutes. I rather have that then pay Potato or Hart anything. Hart has some use, but we are very stacked at the guard positions and Price is looking amazing! We also have Artest and Garcia that are good at bringing the ball up so we don't need Hart. I'm just so upset we traded Skinner away for Potato, at least if we still has Monia to see how he'd pan out...but now he is back in Russia and we are stuck with a huge bouncer Ukrainian guy.

With how up unimpressive SAR and K9 are playing, Skinner might very well have the starting job right now at PF. Can we get him back? Not for much maybe Hart & Potato or just Pot. I'd be all for a 2 for 1 to make room for Williams 1st, Amundson 2nd. Then send Amundson and Douby down to the minors and Williams off the bench when needed and see how he develops. I'm loving his athletism, shot blocking, Defense, he could be our Keon. I saw him in warm ups when Grant and Jerry went on for the Utah game after they showed AK47, Williams slammed a 360, I know it was him by the headband. Nice!!! Plus the guy is from Chicago so you know he is awesome, just like me!!! :D

I would trade Hart, and Potapeko in a heart beat. Hell, throw in Corliss and give us 1 player in return, than sign Williams, and Amundson for 1 yr contracts.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wasn't talking about a trade, Gary. I was talking about cutting them. In all actuality, however, I think - if anything - Potato and Woods would be the more likely candidates. As I mentioned elsewhere, Jason Hart does have at least a little game. And, because of that, he does have some appeal for other teams.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
During game tonight Grant mentioned that Petrie-Musselman will likely announce some cuts as early at tomorrow (Monday). If Pot and Hart Kings eat a bunch of $$ and get nothing in return. Keeping Amundson and Williams is something but neither of them will see many minutes for awhile and one or both could see some NBDL time come November.

I have to admit, I've had high hopes for Justin Williams as a King since draft night, and sent off an email to Arco begging them to sign him -- so I won't pretend to be unbiased. I absolutely do think that Potapenko should be cut, and hope that management has the nerve to do what needs to be done. Because Woods is already gone, though, what does that leave us with at C? We've got a giant PG in Brad, which is fine, but playing PFs as Cs doesn't always work so well.

SAR is a good backup for offense, but not for D, plus we need him at PF, and he probably shouldn't be playing 40+ minutes a night. Taylor? Still waiting to see if he's worth having around. Amundson? Nope, not yet. So our options would seem to be Potapenko, Williams, or playing a lot of small ball, regardless of who the opposing players are. I like the Williams option. Williams fills a big void in the team, seems more ready to play than Amundson is, probably even more ready than Douby. Some time in the weight room combined with a bit of FT practice, and he should be fine for some bench minutes.

While I do like Amundson a lot, he is very raw still, and Bibby's injury leaves me wondering whether cutting Hart might have just gone off the agenda. I gather that Salmons will be starting at PG, but like Hart or not, he is the closest thing to a true PG we have with Bibby out. So I guess it all boils down to how comfortable Musselman is with playing all SGs-G/Fs at PG. Anyway, my hope is that we lose Potapenko before the season starts, and keep everyone else, with the option of trading Hart as soon as Douby's looking a bit more like an NBA PG.

By the way... hi, folks! I'm new here.

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Welcome, fnordius.

I hope you don't mind, but I added a couple of paragraphs so it would be easier to read your post.

As far as what our line-ups will look like, I think the only thing we can be sure of is that we'll see a lot of different looks. Musselman is, right now, more interested in having to make those final cuts and I think he'll be doing whatever it takes to watch the guys on the bubble in as many scenarios as possible.

I, too, like Williams. There's a phsycial resemblance to a young Webber that I see every time I get a glimpse of him.

:D

Welcome, fnordius.

I hope you don't mind, but I added a couple of paragraphs so it would be easier to read your post.
Thanks! There had been paragraph breaks, but it looks like I get to learn my way around a new piece of board software.

Don't worry, I catch on fast.

Hey, fnordius...I remember you from the yahoo boards...Boy they destroyed those didnt they?
Oh, yeah, hi! You must be the poster formerly known as gunkadelic. Good to see you! I figured some of the Yahoo gang would be here.

They sure did kill it! Posting volume dropped by 90% the first week. In the last 3 weeks there have only been 3 posters, and now there are none.

Gotta say, though, after finding this place, I don't mind. I hope the other Yahoo refugees find their way over here!

People around here are acting like the Kings will carry 15 players on the roster for sure. There has been mention in the media that they may well not carry that many. (radio or Bee, I can't remember) For all anybody knows, the team will only carry the required 12.

I just can't get worked up over who will sit on the end of the bench, even more so when I don't even know how many seats there are.
Actually in the Bee last week the Maloofs talked about how they would probably carry the max # of players, because they are not over the LTT. Also the MINIMUM a team can carry according to the CBA is 13, the max 15.

I fully anticipate one of Amundson/Williams making the team and the other getting cut. That's just the way it is.

Oh, yeah, hi! You must be the poster formerly known as gunkadelic. Good to see you! I figured some of the Yahoo gang would be here.

They sure did kill it! Posting volume dropped by 90% the first week. In the last 3 weeks there have only been 3 posters, and now there are none.

Gotta say, though, after finding this place, I don't mind. I hope the other Yahoo refugees find their way over here!

Realgm.com has great message boards too.

gunks

Hall of Famer
For some reason I think its gonna be Amundson. There's just been more hype and talk surrounding him then Williams...Which I dont understand seeing as how everything Lou can do Justin does better.

I guess he needs to figure out Muss's plays if he doesnt want to get cut, but its not like Williams is going to be in any of them...He just needs to be that Ben Wallace typa guy who lurks around the basket and does dirty work.

I'm still hoping its Williams...Maybe they'll both actually get some PT tonight in seattle.

For some reason I think its gonna be Amundson. There's just been more hype and talk surrounding him then Williams...Which I dont understand seeing as how everything Lou can do Justin does better.

I guess he needs to figure out Muss's plays if he doesnt want to get cut, but its not like Williams is going to be in any of them...He just needs to be that Ben Wallace typa guy who lurks around the basket and does dirty work.

I'm still hoping its Williams...Maybe they'll both actually get some PT tonight in seattle.
I really hope both of them make it, they are both quick young kids with huge upsides. Williams could make the senior roster, and Amundson and Douby could go down to the D league this year. I really don't know why we haven't been playing the 2 in the last few games, or just very few minutes. While I'd be for dumping Pot under normal circumstances, he is $3.6M coming off the books and can be part of a trade piece with Corliss. Hart is due to make $1.6M so this sucks that we might have to keep him around, but the kids are only owed $400K minimum salary so that shouldn't sting too much. Also with Bibby being out, Hart might actually sneak under the line and make the 15 man team, which is unfortunate for then having to cut a youngin.

While I love both guys, I really think we need Williams more do to what he brings, Amundson is great and quick as a guard for being 6' 9", but he needs to learn to shoot and make his free throws. Both guys have great hustle.

I'd like to see Williams play over Taylor as well, but I know we got a great deal on Taylor since he was going to make $10M in NY, we got him for around $1M...he just hasn't been very impressive. Williams could be a great 4/5 guy with a little patience and adding weight to his frame.

I think Hart will make the team. He had some help because Bibby is out and Douby, Price, and Salmons are much more SG than PGs. Bibby is also a shooter but he does dish out a lot of assists as a PG should do. He is really a short SG with PG abilities. Hart is more of a true PG with decent/good defensive abilities and since he doesn't shoot all that great will spend more time trying to create. I really see us using Artest more and more as the PG brings the ball up and dishes off to Artest to drive, shoot, or dish off after creating a double or triple team.

At this point I really see us keeping Hart, and are forced to keep Pot due to his $3.6M contract so I think Amundson is gone or Williams. I love them both, but Amundson's lack of a shot, and Williams shot blocking ability and athletism has turned me into a backer of him more (Williams) if it comes down to 1 of the 2 sticking.

I'd like to add that I'm really not happy with K9, SAR deserves to start and has done a great job, but with our bench, we need some proven scorers so SAR, Garcia, Corliss, Price can get the job done. Taylor has been a bust so far, I'd really like it if we played Williams and SAR behind the 4/5 as subs with SAR getting a lot of minutes and Williams backing him up. Williams is a much better option than trying to play Corliss at the 4/5 position, he is just too small at 6' 6"/6' 7". With a little weight and confidence, I really like what I see in Williams. I like Amundson as well, but it's a #s game and if we keep Hart and Pot like I think we will, we cannot keep both youngins. Amundson did however get some kind of guarantee early on in camp, but I think Williams has out played him and brings shot blocking to the equation and some kind of shot, also a little taller and longer so he gets the nod I think.

Last edited: