Hart/Potapenko for Amundson/Williams (merged)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I sent a message to the Kings, suggesting the fanbase here at Kingsfans.com think they should somehow get rid of Jason Hart and Vitaly Potapenko and keep Amundson and Williams.

What can I say? I've been bored.

;)

I'm curious to see what kind of canned response I get.

To be honest, I want to keep Hart for awhile longer to see if Musselman can inspire any production into him. He looked ok the first preseason game, but didnt play the second. I honestly think we should dump potapenko and amundson and keep hart and williams.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Amundson and Williams have potential. Jason Hart is about as good as he's going to get...and that's not good enough, especially considering we have an abundance of guards.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'm curious to see what kind of canned response I get.

Thank you VF21 for taking the time to write and share your thoughts about the roster. It's the support of fans as passionate about the team and players as you that has made Sacramento home to the NBA's #1 fans!

As you may know, Geoff Petrie has been a guiding force in the development of the Kings and, with the trust and support of the Maloof family, has been successful in transforming this team into one of the elite franchises in the league. This trust in Geoff seems to be a common bond we share, and therefore questioning his decisions in this matter is very much akin to treason, and may result in you being drawn and quartered on top of the giant gold 6 on the front lawn.

We thank you for your passionate support of the team and for sharing your thoughts with us. If we can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Go Kings!!!

Sincerely,
Kings.Com

I like the idea also of keeping Amundson and Williams...

Lets cut Potapenko and Woods... Hart has a little value as a backup PG.. some team might be willing to give a 2nd rounder for him later in the season..

If you waive someone from your team, I realize you still have to pay them their salary. However, if another team picks that player up off of waivers, does the new team then take over the player's salary? How does this work?

I completely agree with the above scenario by the way.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
If someone picks up the player off waivers, they take over the salary and it comes off your books. If they clear waivers, you have to pay them the remainder of their contract.

Jason Hart looked good last preseason, and we all know how that turned out.

Dump him.
I'd like to see Hart traded or held for trade as an expiring contract. Petrie has a good eye. I think Hart's biggest problem was that he was filling in behind Bibby on a broken team during the first half of the season. That team became a cellar contender without Bibby on the floor and that wasn't Hart's fault. As a second tier PG Hart has soemthing to offer, but he is no Bibby. Hart's biggest problem was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. By the second half of the season he was in RA's dog house.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sorry, but I disagree. Hart isn't worth keeping if it means letting younger players with a lot of potential walk. Hart hasn't worked out here. Let him go...

Holding him for a trade or expiring contract is just a waste of roster space, IMHO.

I think he can be moved, not every team is as stacked with potential b/u PGs as we are. Hart showed some talent at Charlotte, he's not as bad as he would seem from his record.

I half suspect that Hart was DNP on Tuesday because he is going to be traded. Maybe the Spurs will take him back?

Just make sure VF, that when you are drawn and quartered on top of the Gold 6 on the south lawn of ARCO, that prior to the tortuous act that no part of your body is covering up the "Bud Light" plaque because "Bud Light" will be presenting and sponsoring your torture.

I like the trade, but we are trading to the Kings (to ourselves). I think we will do great with losing Hart, Potato, and Woods. If looking at it in the situation if we have to eat their contracts, Hart is set to make $1.6M, Woods I think is only guaranteed $400K and is more of a big warm body to see how the kids do against, so he isn't costing us much. Potato on the other hand is set to earn $3,674,584 this year so that might sting a little eating that contact, eventhough he will probably not play much...he has 6 fouls to give and could be used as our enforcer and hopefully traded mid season for a salary dump by himself or be packed up with someone else. He is so out of shape, so Muss might not want this guy around if he cannot pass the test.

Either way I see Hart and Woods being on the out, there is no need for Hart with how Price is playing and Douby going to the minors and hopefully developing into a good combo guard or at least a point guard. He is a bit small for a SG, eventhough he loves to shoot and isn't as comfortable bringing the ball up as a PG. He is only 6'2" to 6'3", but has freakishly long arms so he looks promising as a decent defender and being able to pester his man. Amundson & Williams show great promise and need to be kept around. Williams can play right away and be the shot blocker off the bench we need and Amundson can go down to the minors for a league and try to develop a offensive game. Williams needs to add some weight, but he is explosive and hungry enough to be o.k. right now, Amundson is physically big enough (muscle wise, but has a very bad shot) and not the shot blocking ability of Williams.

This salary listing on Hoopshype isn't really current, but gives you a idea of where we are:

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento.htm

Good job. I hope you got your message across. Surprised you didn't mention that Geoff should trade for KG like you always bring up on this board. ;)

I actually think that's a good idea man... I think Amundson can be a decent player someday and is worth keeping. Williams isnt bad either, but I think Potapenko is better. There really isnt much room for Hart in the lineup either... we have to pick 2 of these 4 players.

I actually think that's a good idea man... I think Amundson can be a decent player someday and is worth keeping. Williams isnt bad either, but I think Potapenko is better. There really isnt much room for Hart in the lineup either... we have to pick 2 of these 4 players.
Not exactly, you could put Woods in the mix and change the equation to the Kings CAN pick no more than three of these five players. That's assuming no trades and everyone else is safe, although Price is also expiring and has a smaller salary (personally think he is safe).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Potatohead is better? At what?

What's the problem with cutting Hart/Pot?

I don't get it. Yeah they are guarenteed but they won't actually do anything for us. They expire at the end of the year whether we use them(unlikely) or not(very likely). Price and Salmons have shown that they deserve Hart's time. Pot isn't better at anything than Williams and Amundson, he won't get PT anyway. He'll probably be on the IR. So what's the problem with eating their contracts? They're just sitting there anyway, not accomplishing anything for us and not playing.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I think the only plus would be if a trade could be in the works - either for a pick or a player.

I would hope that if no trade is forthcoming they would be dropped. Maybe Woods instead of Pot if paying a lot of salary for guys not on the team is an issue - as maybe a trade near the deadline might be of need of Pot's expiring contract.

There's nothing wrong with cutting them but the fact of the matter is that they are assets. Ending contracts that can be used in a trade and I think you would rather have that on the end of the bench than a rookie making a minimum contract. Not saying I agree with that but that just my opinion.

I agree that they are both assets in a potential trade as expiring contracts, but that prob wont happen until near the trade deadline, Why? because they are pretty useless to anybody. To get them in a trade as an expring contract near the deadline we will need to find a team that prob has no shot at the playoffs, that need to free up cap space for next summer, that has a 5-10 million impact player that they don't want to keep and that we will want.

Man that is a lot of If's

Amunson and Williams will not be in the active 12 portion of the roster anyway, and will be shipped off to the developmental league til next year.

So there you have it, either a long-shot mid-season trade or stockpile two potential back-ups bigs for next year

Geoff will have to do all the work projecting what what teams / players may be in that position in Feb.

Unless of course all of us want to start making trade proposals for teams that may fit the bill. (maybe give Geoff some ideas?)