[Grades] Grades v. Rockets 12/15/2013

On talent, where does Rudy Gay rank alltime amongst Kings SFs (Peja, Artest, L-Train, EJ etc.)?

• First

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Second

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • Third

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Fourth

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Fifth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sixth or lower

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Okay...this felt like it might be the beginning of something. Much to interest again:
-- we played defense and held the #1 scoring team in the league to 91
-- Gay was great again, changes the whole feel having a 2nd weapon (actually the first weapon much of the night)
-- we solved the terrible SG woes by just only playing them half the game and running big lineups with Gay at SG the rest of the mins
-- IT got the unselfishness memo loud and clear, presumably from the coaching staff, but my ego tells me it was me.
-- and on a night when Cuz's numbers were likely better than his impact, we blowout another playoff team

And we're taking it to Texas on our home floor. When do the Spurs come to town? Now we finally hit the road, but 3 of the 4 games out East are winnable. Maybe things turn. Maybe they don't. But we actually have the talent to make it interesting now.

Your Consoritum Graders tonight:
Bricklayer
Uncia03
Bajaden
Capt. Factorial
MassachusettsKingsFan

Boxscore

Stats: 39min 26pts (10-20, 1-3, 5-6) 5reb 4ast 4stl 1blk 4TO
Gay ( A+ ) -- As I watched the game, it occurred to me, that you don't realize how mediocre some of the players on your team are, until you add someone like Gay. I hate to echo the words of Grant Napier, but, he makes the game look easy. Yes, I know its only two games, but you can see the talent he has. I don't know if I can say he's a complete player, but when he's on, he's damm close. Tonight, there wasn't much he didn't do right. He made the right pass at the right time. Example: He grabbed a defensive rebound, dribbled the length of the floor, started into the lane and then hit a cutting JT for an easy basket. A minute later, he steals the ball, and goes end to end through traffic and lays it in, and made it look like he was walking in the park. A few possessions later, Cousins drove to the basket, but missed, and there was Gay with the follow up basket. If not for a problem guarding Parsons in the first quarter, he would have been almost flawless. But Parsons got him to buy his pump fake, and went dancing to the basket. It was interesting watching how Malone picked his times to rest Gay. He went to the bench briefly at the 3:59 mark of the 1st quarter, and returned 2:35 of the 1st quarter. This was the pattern throughout the game. Upon returning he hit a corner three. On the next possession he drove down the lane through traffic, avoided Howard's outstretched arm, and scored. He wasn't perfect. On one occasion, he started to drive to the basket, but tripped and turned it over. Most of his shots were good shots, except for one where the clock was running down, and another, when he took a three from the left wing very early in the set. After the first quarter, I thought his defense was pretty good. He had 4 steals, and also added 4 assists. All in all, he was a pleasure to watch, and its been some time since I've seen anyone in a Kings uniform make the game of basketball look so easy. I can only pray that this is a sample of whats to come.
--Baja

Stats: 23min 9pts (4-7, 0-0, 1-2) 5reb 0ast 0stl 2blk 2TO
Thompson ( B ) -- Pretty solid bounce back game from JT after his complete meltdown of a performance against the Suns Friday night. He found a few different ways to be effective despite the fact that he is a complete non-factor offensively right now. This isn’t really his fault, and I’m not even saying it isn’t the correct strategy, but he rarely gets the ball. I found it interesting that Malone went with Cousins on Howard for most of the first half, which put Thompson on Terrence Jones who he completely shut down. Cousins did a nice job on Howard, but that was a risky move by Malone as the odds of Cousins getting into foul trouble defending Howard are a lot higher than they would have been on Jones. Thompson had a fine first half, but he really stepped it up in the second half, particularly on defense. Malone used him more on Howard late in the game, and Thompson responded well, battling him the whole way. He had a typical Jason Thompson game offensively, scoring off of hustle plays on the offensive glass and in transition to go a long with a few open dunks. Just a real nice, solid role-playing game for Jason. --Mass

Stats: 32min 21pts (7-14, 0-0, 7-7) 10reb 5ast 1stl 0blk 4TO
Cousins ( B- ) -- DeMarcus started out the game really poorly. Howard picked up an instant foul on him for a three-point play and followed that up by mishandling the pass on a pick and roll. He then proceeded to throw up brick after brick in the paint, finishing the first half 1-6, scoring six points on four free throws and a dunk on the fast break. To top that off, he had only two rebounds at the break. Things turned around in the second half on the scoring side, where he suddenly looked more poised out there and went 6-8, though that does count the crazy stepback jumper that he launched off the glass that really had no business going in. He got two shots by moving on offense, getting a nice delivery from Gay on a pick and roll and then being set up for a thunderous dunk by Isaiah as he rumbled down an inexplicably empty lane. The rebounding was also much better as the game went on, and Cousins grabbed eight boards in the second half. Cousins' passing was on display all night, as he notched five assists, setting up Williams, JT, and IT at the hoop, the final one a sharp bounce pass through the lane that elicited a gleeful grin on the baseline camera. Note to the league: you do not want this guy playing happy. Case in point - after IT was called for a questionable traveling midway through the fourth and started arguing with the refs, it was hotheaded Cousins who came up to him, pointed upwards and appeared to mouth "scoreboard", at which point IT just turned around and went to play defense. Speaking of defense, Cousins was not bad on Dwight Howard tonight (Dwight only scored 4 points on him in the post, on 1-2 shooting and 2-5 from the line), but he had no end of trouble defending the pick and roll, especially in the second quarter where Howard rolled unmolested to the hoop for 2 when Cousins went high, and then a few plays later Harden drove right around him when he stayed home. He also allowed one easy layup to each of the Houston PGs in the second half. To his credit, he did pick up Parsons on a late pick and roll and played some very nice D to bother him into a travel (he also bothered Howard into a travel in the post in the first). Altogether, the second half was a great showing, but the dismal first half forces me to grade Cuz down a bit. --Capt.

Stats: 23min 4pts (1-4, 0-0, 2-2) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
McLemore ( D ) -- Well…there has been a lot of talk about the poor play of our SGs and it looks as if Malone is on the same page because Ben didn’t perform well in this one and not only did Ben not get a lot of minutes, our SGs in general didn’t get a lot of minutes with Malone choosing to play big for large stretches of the game. I think that Malone saw that Ben was getting a bit frozen out of the offense so on the 1st possession of the game he ran a designed play to get Ben an open look. Ben came off of a screen, caught the ball and went up for the open jumper…but missed the shot. Unfortunately that was really the only designed play ran for Ben. He took 3 other shots, 1 was an offensive rebound where he went up and knocked down the jumper and the other two were corner 3s from the right wing that he missed. (One of the corner threes was a nice set-up, the other was a very ragged play), He also didn’t provide much rebounding or provide any assists and on an early play in the game got stripped for a TO which resulted in an easy basket in transition for the Rockets. So by and large he didn’t take many shots and didn’t really do much on the offensive end. On defense it was his job to guard Harden and you know what? He actually did a pretty decent job on Harden. The first few possession the Rockets went to Harden in the post and Ben did well in keeping Harden from converting. Guarding Harden on the perimeter was hit-and-miss. Harden never actually was able to go one-on-one and beat Ben to the basket so the Rockets brought Howard up to set high screens and Ben’s performance in defense varied. On one possession Howard killed him on the screen and Harden had an open lane to the rim. The next play Ben was more aware of the screen coming and iced it, then was able to get back in front of Harden...but Harden ended up hitting the long 3pt shot, which from a defensive possession is what you want to see even if the offense happens to convert. So in the 1st half Ben got 18 minutes of playing time and to me it felt as if he was solely out there to try and defend Harden. In the 2nd half it got interesting because 1 minute into the 3rd quarter Harden rolls his ankle and comes out of the game. Ben played 3 more minutes but because Harden wasn’t playing and Ben’s offensive game or hustle game wasn’t really there, Malone sent him to the bench where he sat for the rest of the game. So ineffective in the offense and asked to contain Harden which he had some good and bad moments doing…and ended up being benched for all but 4 minutes of the 2nd half translates to another poor outing and another poor grade for Ben. I’m curious to see if Malone is going to continue to start Ben or bring him off the bench or play the larger line-up of Outlaw-Gay-Williams/JT-Cousins if he thinks he can get away with it on the defensive end. We’ll see but right now Ben doesn’t look good in this new starting line-up and it might be time to think about moving him back to the bench where he can hopefully get more minutes being a higher scoring option and get back into some sort of rhythm. As a last interesting note to this game: Our SGs were 2-7 in 30 minutes of play with 3 rebounds. 2 of their 3 rebounds and all of their buckets came from an offensive rebound and put-back...not what you want to see out of your SGs.... --Uncia

Stats: 42min 19pts (7-12, 1-3, 4-5) 2reb 8ast 2stl 0blk 3TO
Thomas ( A- ) -- okay, and here we finally had it. It was clear from the beginning of this one that somebody had talked to IT about that gunning performance last time out, and it was a completely different player in the early going of this one. Quiet start, actually maybe too quiet as I was worried for a while we were seeing another J.R. Smith/Kobe "oh you don't want me to shoot? I'll show you not shooting..." performance, and the result was that IT actually managed to play the entire first quarter, 11 minutes, without taking a single shot. As a playmaker he wasn't doing much either until just before leaving, when he came up with a pair of nice drive and kicks for assists. But the lack of FG attempts would change immediately upon him returning from his only rest, as he immediately forced a random bad shot three...and hit it while being fouled for a 4pt play. It was a worrisome sign, but it didn't lead to any prolonged dumbness, and IT kept himself in check until the end of the half when DeMarcus went to the bench, and then he squirted free for a couple of late hits, capped by drawing the third personal foul on Dwight just before halftime. And so IT managed to score his 11pts alright...but this time he did it without disrupting the team, without ever missing a shot, and while picking his spots. It was really exactly what was needed. In the third he began to make some really nice passes to Gay for an alley oop, slipped it inside to Cuz as he rolled to the hoop, late in the quarter he made several nice dropoff passes after breaking down the defense -- he was playing like a PG this time not a shooting guard. There were a few rumbles, a few burps where his inner gunner struggled to take possession. After scoring a hoop on nice little curl around a screen, he got overexcited and needlessly threw up a 1 on 1 shot next time down. He forced one of those transition threes off his dribble, and added another force in the early 4th when it briefly looked like he was going to regress into hero ball to try to save a team that didn't need saving. But it never fully took hold. Whether it was the coaches talking to him during timeouts, or self regulation or what, every time you felt that overfevered play coming on, something would break the fever and he would sink back into running the team. And that was perfect. Rudy Gay was great, Cuz came on late, and we just pulled away from the Rockets and outclassed them fairly easily. Anything more would have detracted, not added. In the final two minutes IT scooted to the hoop for maybe the game sealer, and then got a little going away gift on a nifty pass from Cuz as IT was circling under the hoop. And so Isaiah wrapped up a game where he was less of an impact player, but I think actually more of a positive factor than he often has been. When you have Cuz and Gay one obvious comparison is to having Randolph and Gay in Memphis, and tonight IT was channeling his inner Mike Conley. You can win some games that way. --Brick

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Bench

Stats: 24min 11pts (3-10, 1-3, 4-6) 6reb 0ast 1stl 1blk 0TO
Williams ( C+ ) -- I have mixed feelings over how Williams played tonight. I’d say he looked a lot better out there than his numbers suggest. He scored a quick 5 points almost immediately after entering the game, and then got a little too jumper happy for my taste. He had a poor shooting night that was partly because of multiple tip attempts, but his shot selection still wasn’t great. When Williams is playing off the ball and cutting hard to the basket, or running hard in transition good things happen. He spent a little too much time tonight looking for his own shot off the dribble and the results speak for themselves. He can shoot, but he’s not a great shooter. Not yet, anyway. Now that all the negative stuff is out of the way – I thought he still played pretty hard. He was getting to the line. He was battling inside on the glass. He even had a nice block on Howard inside. It wasn’t his best game, but that consistent positive impact he’s been having on just about every game in his short career as a King was there again tonight. --Mass

Stats: 30min 8pts (3-7, 0-2, 2-2) 7reb 0ast 0stl 1blk 0TO
Outlaw ( B- ) -- A bit of a high grade for a player that only scored 8 pts, but Travis played hard the entire 30 minutes he was on the floor. So a large part of his grade comes as a result of effort. He defended well, except one time where there was some confusion, and he left Parsons wide open for a corner three. He was very active on the boards grabbing 7 rebounds, several of them in traffic. He made a nice block of Hardens shot that started a fast break. In the second half, he had a few moments where his brain went into the isolation mode, and no good came of it. One sequence in particular where he stood holding the ball for about 10 seconds, then put it on the floor, drove into traffic, and threw up a wild looking shot that had little chance of going in. After that, he settled down, and just took what came in the flow of the offense. A good, but not great effort. I loved his rebounding though. The dude has serious hops.--Baja

Stats: 13min 4pts (2-2, 0-0, 0-0) 3reb 0ast 0stl 1blk 0TO
Acy ( B ) -- The Rockets have essentially no center depth beyond Dwight Howard, so when Cousins got his rest tonight the call went to Quincy Acy instead of Aaron Gray, who really would have been a weak point out there against a small Rockets bench. He didn't get big minutes, but he did what he was asked, which was to anchor the defense while having the quicks to guard a four-wing lineup trotted out there by Houston. In general, Acy played like a guy who has to work to get his minutes, and wants those minutes. No question on his effort whatsoever. He got a really nice block in transition on Omri, and he was credited with three rebounds, though he was pretty obviously fouled on another that the officials called out of bounds off Quincy. He played within himself on offense, taking and hitting only two shots, both at the rim, one of them a one-handed flush on a nice feed from Isaiah. To start the fourth, the Rockets forced our hand by putting Howard in at the bell, and he got a dunk on the overmatched Acy (as well as two missed FTs from an Acy foul in the second) before Malone went straight back to Cousins. He played hard, he gives us a good look against small-ball benches, what's not to like? --Capt.
Acy ( C ) -- Well Acy got to play tonight, and he played pretty well. He received the desirable job of guarding, yes you guessed it, Dwight Howard. And you know what, he did a darned good job. the best Howard was able to do against him was get to the line, which isn't Howards mainstay. Acy appears to be a good defensive player. In the first quarter he made a beautiful rotation under the basket to stop Jones in his tracks. Jones did manage to score, but it was on a very tough fall away hook shot. He made a nice block on a shot by Casspi. He scored two baskets, both at the basket. One on a pumpfake and drive for a layup, and another on a pass from IT for a dunk. No! He didn't block any of Howard's shots, but he did make him work hard, and then put him on the line. You can see that Acy knows how to play the game. Love the beard as well. Be fun to see him and Harden get tangled up. He only grabbed 3 boards, but he only played 13 minutes. All in all, good effort.--Baja

Stats: 5min 2pts (1-2, 0-0, 0-0) 2reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Fredette ( INC ) -- was neither good nor bad nor particularly important in his lone stint in the first half, but it perhaps says something that Malone did not trust him enough to let him run the bench crew for a second stint in a tight game in the 4th. Was out there for the most part with a new freaky lineup to matchup with Houston's smallball, which included all of our SF/Pfs out there together with Gay, Wiliams, Acy and Outlaw. Highlights were few as he wasn't so much running the team as just along for the ride. He got scored over once by Aaron Brooks but responded with his own contested layup. Late in his stint he made a real nice save of a rebound going out of bounds on one end, but then cancelled it out by forcing a terrible off balance fallaway thing on the other end. There was nothing here that screamed gimme minutes or I am the floor general, but things didn't fall apart while he was out there this time, and he looked ok enough. Given enough minutes I would have called this a C of some sort. --Brick

Stats: 7min 2pts (1-3, 0-0, 0-0) 2reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Thornton ( INC ) -- Thornton didn’t play at all in the 1st half. He finally got his chance to play early in the 3rd after Ben had been struggling and Harden had left the game injured. It looked to me that Malone didn’t really want Thornton out there to guard Harden which is why he didn’t get any minutes in the 1st half. But after Harden got hurt he decided to go to Thornton. Thornton didn’t really do much in his 7 minutes of play. His only points came off an offensive rebound and put-back. He also had his rim drive blocked and took a bad off-balance one-footed fade-away which had very little chance for success. On defense he didn’t really have any issues and later in his stint Harden came back in. But because Harden was hurt Thornton didn’t really even try to play defense and that burnt him as Harden found himself wide open for a couple of 3pt attempts. He left with a minute left in the 3rd quarter and never saw the court again. So for him, it’s either a C-type grade or an INC, and I’m going with the INC since he didn’t see a single minute in the 1st half and didn’t play in the 4th quarter as Malone choose to go big in this game. --Uncia

Stats: 1min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
McCallum ( INC ) -- just in for the final 1min+ of garbagetime --Brick

Stats: 1min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Ndiaye ( INC ) -- just in for the final 1min+ of garbagetime--Capt.

placeholder...

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Loved every second of that game best win of the year even better than the Dallas game.
#Cousins after a terrible first half played effective unselfish (5assists) basketball and put up a effortless 21 and 10, did agood job keeping Dwight off the block and did not allow 2nd chances. Pick n Roll defense was a disaster his man to man D is fine.

#IT looked like a left handed Chris Paul best performance of his career imo in terms of playmaking and scoring packed into one

#Gay back to back MVP of the game performances for the Kings I really hope they don't Outlaw Gay Cousins in the NBA

#Williams good again the 3/10 FG was not a true reflection of his effectiveness since he missed like 5 of those on tip ins.

#JT solid D on Dwight had 2-3 real important blocks and moved well to get open dunks

#Acy defence on the pick n roll was unreal on one possession literally guarded 3 people and that dunk he had was NASTY

#Mclemore sucked again but that's ok he's a rookie.

#Outlaw put on a solid energy performance as well.

Fun game. amazing how much more fun to watch this team is thanks to those 2 trades. thanks Pete!

Rudy/Cousins/Thomas/Williams is a great start in building a playoff team

Tough poll. I put him 3, but it's really close. I'm already regretting it.

I think Artest is #1 when you consider the whole package. Best defender in the league for a lot of years, and still had most of the ability when he was here. Peja was a 3 time All-Star. In fact, both Artest and Peja were All-Stars. Gay has never been there, but that's not the end all be all.

Close. Clearly #3 at the lowest.

Artest decision making skills push him off the top. I actually put Rudy at the top. I think it is more a statement about this franchises weak SF and not the greatness of Gay.

Last edited:
Big fan of the "throw ins". Acy looks like a linebacker the way he sets up on defense. He had some great shot contests tonight and did an admirable job on his limited minutes VS Howard. A notable play was the best shot contest against Harden and the refs gave him the superstar call. Also made a few nice and extremely surprising offensive plays.

I do like the idea of going to the mega-big/athletic bench idea.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I would say, on talent, that Gay is better than Stojakovic. Stojakovic was pretty much a system player. I'm inclined to put Artest ahead of him but, again, we really didn't get much of Prime Artest, and I'm not compelled that what he did elsewhere should factor into how great he was as a King.

Starting to get bleak for Jimmer. He's been in the rotation for 4 games now and has had a week to get back adjusted to getting minutes. And he looks just as lost on both ends.

Regardless, Malone needs to give IT a breather in the 2nd half at some point. Let Gay run Point-Forward at that time. Even if its only 2 or 3 minutes of actual game-time. Just can't expect him to maintain a 42 min workload where he doesn't get a break in the 2nd half.

If we are going to play like this consistently adios to wiggins smart Parker Embiid or randle, but for once I am seeing a big picture with the players we have.
IT has the ability to orchestrate an offense fairly well for his size, I'm hoping his d won't be an issue
Attest was IMO our best sf and almost single handedly turned the franchise around the year we traded for him. WOuld folks rather have Rudy or Iggy?

K

KingMilz

Attest was IMO our best sf and almost single handedly turned the franchise around the year we traded for him. WOuld folks rather have Rudy or Iggy?
Rudy cause it's a two year deal and Iggy is way to passive 90% of the time and his 50+ million dollar deal over 4 years or so he was not worth it. Plus with Iggy we don't get rid of trash like Vasquez/Hayes/Salmons.

Objectively speaking, how good is IT? He's been playing really good ball this season. Where does he rank versus other point guards around the league given his recent level of play? Is he the best sixtieth pick ever?

Edit: I know there is some debate about what his best role would be, and I get that, but the dude is talented.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Objectively speaking, how good is IT? He's been playing really good ball this season. Where does he rank versus other point guards around the league given his recent level of play? Is he the best sixtieth pick ever?
Well the last part has been established for some time.

the rest...not again. :p

dude12

Hall of Famer
When Gay and Outlaw were out there together at SG and SF....those are some long athletes. Looked like it worked. Malone has his Draymond Green in Acy...a guy to plug in for defense when needed. It's only been a little bit of time but Hayes and PPat and Salmons are already feeling like a distant memory. Exciting times.

K

KingMilz

Edit: I know there is some debate about what his best role would be, and I get that, but the dude is talented.
He's actually had a better overall season imo than Kyrie Irving has in terms of impact and I remember I was laughing at that thread where the video tried to say he was a more effective player than Irving, I never thought I would see that day where they are comparable.

My first Kings game and we blew out the Houston Rockets! Thank me later! Chicken Chaser: A+, didn't even break a sweat.

I was all the way back in Section 201, Row P. I sat next to this late 20s Asian male who kept blabbering about the game--I guess he was trying to show off his bball knowledge to his female guest? He was kinda obnoxious though. I couldn't tell if he was a Kings fan or a Rockets fan--he kept rooting for Parsons to dunk on us. Nonetheless, it was still a positive experience. My section was so quiet though--no one really screamed or chanted defense or Sacramento. So, I'm thinking the next game I go to will be in the lower level seats--or maybe if I can get in on some of our KingsFans tickets, I'd love to meet our enthusiastic forum members!

My impressions of the live arena experience: it's so different without Grant and Jerry in your ears. Having play-by-play and color analysis really weaves a nice narrative to each game. I guess I'm too used to watching the Kings on TV or on my computer. I never really paid attention to the score or individual stats while watching the game live either. It just seemed more fluid, like an entertainment show. At home, I'm watching the +'s and -'s and individuals' stat lines... it was pleasant to enjoy the game without thinking about stats for once. That said, it really didn't feel like we were in the lead for the majority of the game. Like, we were always up by 10 points--what's up with that? And we didn't blow the lead? Cousins didn't seem to put up a dominant game, but he came out with a 21/10 stat line. Rudy Gay was pretty awesome to watch. Really. James Harden hit some nice 3's but he also bricked a ton. IT is so short, lol. All the players dramatize getting fouled, lol. Not sure how badly Harden was hurt, but he was back in later--were the one-legged free throws necessary?

Anyway, I'm sad the Kings will be on a 4 game road trip next. The Pelicans and Heat game are tempting now... welcoming Tyreke Evans or watching the Heat's Big Three would be pretty exciting!

P.S. - I converted my g/f into a Kings fan this season. She knows the names to all the players and their numbers too lol. She loves IT and Cousins, and now Rudy Gay is moving his way up.

If we are going to play like this consistently adios to wiggins smart Parker Embiid or randle, but for once I am seeing a big picture with the players we have.
IT has the ability to orchestrate an offense fairly well for his size, I'm hoping his d won't be an issue
I'd rather have Rudy. A few months ago, when Iggy signed with the warriors,...if someone had said that before Christmas of this year, we would have someone who is better for our team at that position, most of us would have been in complete and utter disbelief.

Well, IMO, it has happened. Nice

Entity

Hall of Famer
Just finished watching the game I had to go shopping today.

Isaiah looked better as a distributor. Instead of forcing or trying to draw fouls found acy and cuz for easy dunks. A few forces but that is gonna happen with everybody.

Ben. Had a tuff time but held his own in the first with harden. Not much in the way of scoring but helped with cuz having slow start.. The picks are really hurting him on defense. Once he figures that out it should come easier to him

Gay had another good game. Getting to the basket in the first a lot again helped with slow start by cuz. Gay began working his way outside hitting jumpers with that smooth stroke. Found several teammates when he was doubled and I guess was playing 2 guard when outlaw was in. More on that later

Thompson played the perfect role player game getting open when the main guys were doubled rebounding and boxing out and played good defense. Also got a few blocks. This kind of game comes from time to time for JT. Kinda gives you an idea of what we could get from that spot more consistent with that elusive shotblocking rebounding type guy. Aheeem Larry sanders

Cuz was slow to start but got it going in the second half. Really looking like he is more than willing to share the load with Gay.. Several nice passes.. Seems to be a lot of communication between himself and Gay. A lot of listening on cousins part. That is nice to see as gay is a vet. Those two seem to know they are the duo and seem more friendly than cuz and Evans ever did

Derek Williams continues to be consistent starting or off the bench. Makes that trade look better and better.

Outlaw yes outlaw played a lot of min for what I don't know. Went 3-7 8 pts and looked good on the boards.

Jimmer looked a little comfortable out there never scared the hell out of me so good job

Acy solid role off the bench hustling in the scrums down low got himself a nice dunk off an Isaiah feed

Now as a team. We seemed to go opposite of their small ball playing outlaw and Gay at the sg spot. Seems to have worked. Malone doing what I had hoped staggering cuz and gay to the bench leaving one of them on the floor most of the time. Malone even said in his post game that is what he is going to do. He also said Isaiah may lead the league in min b the end of the year. That shows the trust in his backup pgs at this point. Notmsuremif outlawmwasmbeing showcased or what out there tonight but just to much outlaw for my taste

Entity

Hall of Famer
I would say, on talent, that Gay is better than Stojakovic. Stojakovic was pretty much a system player. I'm inclined to put Artest ahead of him but, again, we really didn't get much of Prime Artest, and I'm not compelled that what he did elsewhere should factor into how great he was as a King.
When he came via trade and we were several games out of the playoff hunt and he said we would make them ppl looked crazy at him but it happened. Off topic we need a big to screen the opposing pg in the backcourt. Isaiah had to work his ass off just getting to mid court

I rated Rudy Gay as the best Kings SF ever. And I am a HUGE Peja fan. Artest at his best was pretty darn good. I think Rudy on this current version of the Kings is a force multiplier making all the players better.

I loved the Cousins, IT and three Small Forward lineup!!!:)

We went from not having a starter quality SF to a three SF lineup, who woulda thunk it:)

Entity

Hall of Famer
Gay has looked great these first two games. If it stays like this then it's will be perfect. It's the nights he is off and forcing that could hurt. Maybe he has learned from all that and this gay is all we get

Can I give the Fans a C? The Arena has been kind of quiet lately. Kings are beating a playoff team and it was a real mild crowd.
I wanted to be part of the crowd that broke the Guiness World Record.. :(

My voice gives out easily from cheering/shouting, but I was still disappointed I didn't get to chant DEFENSE or SACRAMENTO with a bunch of rabid Kings fans today. Hmm, next time!

Starting to get bleak for Jimmer. He's been in the rotation for 4 games now and has had a week to get back adjusted to getting minutes. And he looks just as lost on both ends.
Huh? The Kings played good defense while Jimmer was in, Jimmer certainly was not a defensive liability. On offense, he shot 1-2 and had 2 rebounds in 5 minutes. Not a game changing contribution, but where do you get that he was "lost on both ends?"

Seems like an opinion you had pre-determined rather than one that actually formed while you were watching the game...

Gay has looked great these first two games. If it stays like this then it's will be perfect.
don't speak to soon! he averaged 24.5 ppg on 48%fg in his first 2 games in Toronto. with a 1-1 record
his first 2 games in Sac, 25ppg on 56%fg and a 1-1 record.

that FG% is very nice, lets hope it stays at or above 50