George Hill to the Cavaliers?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Here is something that popped into my head. Could the Kings be lining up a trade or clearing cap space for Randle hence why Skal might be available?!

Didn’t Joerger gush about him when we played Lakers recently?
I don't know about Joerger, but Reynolds definitely gushed.

Why does it make sense?
Because we actually get something useful for trading away Hill. Harrison Barnes is worth way more to us as a 25 year old SF/PF than the 24th pick in this upcoming draft. He has 1 more year on his contract, then a PO option in the last year. He probably would keep it. We have to fill our roster with players and a youngish above average wing that is slightly overpaid is better than signing an over the hill 34 year old for half that money.

Dallas wants to full rebuild and be done with him because they over paid and he's hamstringing their future, but with all our rookies and young guys he'd be out of contract by the time we have to sign extensions. It makes a ton of sense. Lets just assume we win the lottery this would be our team next year

Fox/Mason
Bogdan/Buddy
Donic/J.Jackson/Temple
Barnes/Giles/Zbo
WCS/Skal

+ the 31-33 overall pick as a 2nd rounder
Sampson/Cooley two way??

We have an open roster spot or two to accept a 2 for 1 trade. And we still might move the 2 vets we have left.

We absolutely need to win the Hill trade and get that first round pick. We need to keep Bog, his smarts and ball IQ are needed here long term. If Vlade can pull that off it would be a major coup however if we need to trade Bog for a shot at another top 5 pick then you drive him to the airport.

Really do not want to lose him though.

All this talk of second round picks and taking on guys who do nothing for us is ridiculous. Hill is better served staying here if we cant get anything for him.

Vlade can do this. Not Vlade the rookie GM. Please do not screw this up

Last edited:
Because we actually get something useful for trading away Hill. Harrison Barnes is worth way more to us as a 25 year old SF/PF than the 24th pick in this upcoming draft. He has 1 more year on his contract, then a PO option in the last year. He probably would keep it. We have to fill our roster with players and a youngish above average wing that is slightly overpaid is better than signing an over the hill 34 year old for half that money.

Dallas wants to full rebuild and be done with him because they over paid and he's hamstringing their future, but with all our rookies and young guys he'd be out of contract by the time we have to sign extensions. It makes a ton of sense. Lets just assume we win the lottery this would be our team next year

Fox/Mason
Bogdan/Buddy
Donic/J.Jackson/Temple
Barnes/Giles/Zbo
WCS/Skal

Sampson/Cooley two way??

We have an open roster spot or two to accept a 2 for 1 trade. And we still might move the 2 vets we have left.

Barnes is a natural 3, not a 4. He has played Small Forward all his life. Do you watch the Mavs? He starts at the 3. So, I don't know why you would automatically pencil him at 4. Number 2: If the Kings trade for Barnes, this team is not getting Doncic. They both play the same position. Number 3. Barnes alone is worth another 4-5 wins on his play. I have seen him do it this year with Dallas and he will do the same in Sac. Kings will play themselves out of the Top 3.

Barnes is a natural 3, not a 4. He has played Small Forward all his life. Do you watch the Mavs? He starts at the 3. So, I don't know why you would automatically pencil him at 4. Number 2: If the Kings trade for Barnes, this team is not getting Doncic. They both play the same position. Number 3. Barnes alone is worth another 4-5 wins on his play. I have seen him do it this year with Dallas and he will do the same in Sac. Kings will play themselves out of the Top 3.
Agreed. No need to add someone out of our age bracket. Stay super young, keep everyone on the same timeframe. Keep WCS and Bogdan - its really not a difficult blueprint

We absolutely need to win the Hill trade and get that first round pick. We need to keep Bog, his smarts and ball IQ are needed here long term. If Vlade can pull that off it would be a major coup however if we need to trade Bog for a shot at another top 5 pick then you drive him to the airport.

Really do not want to lose him though.

All this talk of second round picks and taking on guys who do nothing for us is ridiculous. Hill is better served staying here if we cant get anything for him.

Vlade can do this. Not Vlade the rookie GM. Please do not screw this up
I think if the deadline passes with no deal, Vlade wins. He might have to stare them down and let the clock tick out.

He's 25, we can't have a roster of 22 year olds. Well we can, and we will keep losing. And yes, I have watched the Mavs. I know he starts at 3, but he plays a ton of 4. We have been playing Vince Carter, Justin Jackson and even Buddy Hield at the 4 when we go small. Barnes is not adding 4-5 wins to this team if we are trading Hill and Koufos away. We will end up in the 1-3 range for worst record. If we don't get Donic, then we take a big man and we for sure need a 3.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The longer this plays out I think the less concerned I get. I know Woj is linked to some of these reports and he is somewhat credible but Brian Windhorst is also heavily involved in these reports and he is basically LeBron's mouthpiece in the media.

Kings hold all the cards here. This is starting to sound like all the terrible "deals" Ainge was going to make before the start of the season.

I do not want Barnes at all. He's a roleplayer on a bad contract. He's also decent enough to probably help this team win a couple more times which we don't need in terms of the lottery.

We should continue to maintain cap flexibility and collect young assets (either players on rookie deals or future picks). Taking on huge contracts like Barnes only limits our flexibility to make salary dump deals to bring in more assets and could potentially add more Ws to a team that really should be focusing on landing a top pick in the draft to find a franchise player. No thank you.

With that being said, Basketball Reference says he plays 60% of his minutes at PF and 40% at SF.

I think if the deadline passes with no deal, Vlade wins. He might have to stare them down and let the clock tick out.
This could help in future trade deals if GMs have reason to thjnk Vlade wont cave/blink first
Couldnt agree more. Vlade's rep is shot after the Cousins trade. Everyone is trying to fleece us and its not just us as Kings fans that see it.

The trade as currently proposed is horrendous and Vlade better not get sucked into that. We win if we literally sit on our hands put up with Hill for another 18 months and waive him for a mill in 2019 or revisit trading him next season.

Kings hold all the cards here. This is starting to sound like all the terrible "deals" Ainge was going to make before the start of the season.
This is true and I hope that Vlade realizes this before it is too late.

Our season is basically done.

Cleveland is desperate to try and save their season and future of their franchise for that matter, because LeBron may leave if their season goes down in flames.

I hope Vlade doesn't do anything stupid, because there really is no urgency for the Kings to make any deal at this point.

Making NO DEAL is a million times BETTER than making a stupid deal!!! o_O

Last edited:
Couldnt agree more. Vlade's rep is shot after the Cousins trade. Everyone is trying to fleece us and its not just us as Kings fans that see it.

The trade as currently proposed is horrendous and Vlade better not get sucked into that. We win if we literally sit on our hands put up with Hill for another 18 months and waive him for a mill in 2019 or revisit trading him next season.
Cleveland had talks about Ben & KK in the past that never materialized. I think they may like to use us occasionally to get people to start talking.

I still dont understand the need to get a third team, or have to trade Skal

Just trade Hill/Malachi for shumpert/Frye if two for two , no third team or Skal trade needed
Get either Cavs late 1st or at least a 2nd or cavs can pound sand

Only 3rd team trade we should be calling see SacTownDog :

The extra value back is Frye’s expiring contract which we can pair with Vince’s contract to take on one more contract with an asset tied to it: Portland’s 1st with Turner, Winslow with James Johnson, Stanley Johnson with Jon Leuer

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Regarding the Cleveland 1st rounder, to me it doesn't have to be the 2018 first round pick; it could be the 2019 1st round pick. I think I might like the 2019 pick better than the 2018 pick, especially if it wasn't protected.

Regarding Barnes, way too much seems to be made of whether he plays the 3 or the 4. In today's NBA it becomes virtually irrelevant whether he plays 3 or 4 or is a hybrid. One thing for sure, he can guard a lot more 3 and 4 types than any other player this team currently has on its roster, imo.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Fox/Mason
Bogdan/Buddy
Donic/J.Jackson/Temple
Barnes/Giles/Zbo
WCS/Skal

Sampson/Cooley two way??

It makes some sense. The Kings actually get younger by getting Barnes, and they get a player of need - a wing guy who can defend and play some offense. I would like to get a future #1, though not necessarily a 2018 pick.

Regarding the Cleveland 1st rounder, to me it doesn't have to be the 2018 first round pick; it could be the 2019 1st round pick. I think I might like the 2019 pick better than the 2018 pick, especially if it wasn't protected.

Regarding Barnes, way too much seems to be made of whether he plays the 3 or the 4. In today's NBA it becomes virtually irrelevant whether he plays 3 or 4 or is a hybrid. One thing for sure, he can guard a lot more 3 and 4 types than any other player this team currently has on its roster, imo.
Atlanta owns their 2019

We'd have to grab this years or the 2021 pick.

I'm much higher on Barnes than most and have wanted him as our SF for years , so I would be ecstatic if we landed him. Don't think it's feasible though . But imagine this...if. Giles pans out and we get 1
C-Ayton/Papa
PF-WCS/Giles
SF-Barnes/Jackson/FA (Hood?)
SG-Bogie/Buddy/FA(Hood?)
PG-Fox/Mason

I read some unverified rumors from a realgm poster that Utah may be the third team. If that is the case, I think we are asking for Rodney Hood, and maye thats why Skals name is popping up.

How do guys feel about sending Skal/Richardson to Utah for Hood? I'm not sure yet..

Interestingly, from the deals discussed thus far, the Kings don't technically need a third team. Hill and Malachi make $21.5M overall, and by cap rules, the Cavs have to send out a bit over $17.1M to get those two. Shumpert and Frye make $17.7M, so Hill/Malachi for Shumpert/Frye/(whatever terrible draft pick we are settling for) works without a third team. (The same goes for Skal instead of Malachi.)

Thus, if we were content to dump Skal or Malachi for literally nothing, there's no need for a third team. For us, the need for a third team would seem (at least under the framework of the deal as rumored so far) to be reserved for a situation where we *didn't* want to give up Skal/Mal for nothing. We could send one of those players to a team that could absorb them in exchange for a pick, then have a roster spot to fit in a Hill for Shumpert/Frye/pick 2-for-1 deal. But in that case, the third team would be giving us *positive value* for Skal/Mal, and not as rumored be fleecing us in order to take them - because we don't need that.

However, it's possible that the Cavs need a third team, because they are refusing to take back 2-for-2 in the trade. Why not? Well, perhaps the Cavs want an open roster spot to do something like trade the BRK pick for DeAndre Jordan. That would leave us in a tough spot, however, because if we're not getting a piece of the BRK pick, and we're not getting the CLE 2018 pick (because they can't trade both), then we're getting absolutely nothing for George Hill.

It doesn't make a lot of sense from our side, as reported. I don't know what to say other than that.
I was wondering the same, my best guess is that Cleveland doesnt want to pay Malachi as they are deep into the luxury task and hence asked the Kings to find a third team.

I don't want Hood for that price. We don't even know who our star players are going to be. We shouldn't be trading assets like Labissiere & Richardson for players we would have to hand out $15-$20 mil a year to keep. We're not ready to start handing out big contracts to marginal young talent. Stay flexible until you KNOW who your stars are going to be.

On the flip side, I like a Labissiere & Gobert pairing long term.
I dont love it either but my reservation is more about fit than Hoods contract. I dont think he gets 15-20 mil offers in this market, especially not if someone has traded for him before. Other teams then assume that their offers will matched and they dont want to tie up their cap space. There are also not a lot of teams with space where he makes sense anyway. Maybe Philly after they miss out on bigger names?.
Thus, I think 11-14 mil would be more likely than 15-20 mil for Hood.
However I just dont see how the Kings will integrate another SG that is too small to start at SF full time in their lineup.

Malachi is only 1.5 mil this yr and 1.6 mil next year

Cut and waive? would be a very cheap pickup for a young guy off waiver wire

Would only be 1.6 mil off our cap next year

trade for a 2nd in 2019? bag of cheezy poofs?

Fox/Mason
Bogdan/Buddy
Donic/J.Jackson/Temple
Barnes/Giles/Zbo
WCS/Skal

Sampson/Cooley two way??

I agree it would be a good move to basically trade Hill for Barns. Kings need to hire two starter quality players - center/PF and SF. With this trade and drafting elite big, Kings acquire great young core.

I agree it would be a good move to basically trade Hill for Barns. Kings need to hire two starter quality players - center/PF and SF. With this trade and drafting elite big, Kings acquire great young core.
Except for in this thread, I have seen no indication that Dallas is interested in moving Barnes.

So why does kings need a 3rd team? does cavs want a 3rd team to take some of their salary JR or TT? (They are worried about Hills salary next yr)
Kings get Shumpert and TT salary, Mavs 1st for Hill, Skal
Mavs get Skal and kings 2nd Pick, Cavs 1st for Mavs 1st ?
Cavs get Hill dump Shumpert and TT salary and cavs 1st

the hell with Cavs first or Brooklyn, we want 2 top picks ! LOL

One can dream right?
I think it's because Cleveland doesn't want any of our young players. They aren't good and they aren't ready to contribute to a championship team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The more and more I read about this, the more and more I just don't get it.

What the hell do the Kings get out of any of this? They just want to make headlines for a couple of days as the laughing stock everyone still believes they are?

This. Makes. No. Sense. Whatsoever.
I haven't read the rest of the thread but you're quoting Sam Amico, the most disreputable blogger on the internet. I think the only reason he gets ANY play at all is because people glance at his name and think they're seeing Sam AMICK.

:p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
the Kings' fanbase is in a fragile state and rightfully so, they've been beaten and battered with rumors left and right not knowing which one is accurate. If there is one thing we can learn from a decade plus of incompetence, no matter who is in the front office at the end of the day it's the Kings' fault that they are where they are and nothing would surprise me anymore, whether it being a Skal trade or whoever else.
I know this is gonna come as a shock but there is a LARGE portion of the Kings fan base, especially those that buy tickets and attend games, that do not give a rat's patoot about trade rumors.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I haven't read the rest of the thread but you're quoting Sam Amico, the most disreputable blogger on the internet. I think the only reason he gets ANY play at all is because people glance at his name and think they're seeing Sam AMICK.
Also worth noting - Sam Amico is a Cavs guy, so his perspective is likely to be skewed as far in their favor ("why, the Kings should give us George Hill for free AND pay us to take him! That's fair") as ours is in our own favor.