ESPN says Kings have decided to KEEP George Karl

This is interesting if true. Ranadive, during his reighn, has been rash leading to chaos. Divac advocating patience perhaps saying we all rise or burn together. It also would tell Georgie in no uncertain terms who is beholder to whom. He might even listen.
Sounds like the Petrie approach, which isn't so bad at this point. No reason to panic IMO

Let's see if Karl can get it together. stranger things have clearly happened

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Reports were at least that Rondo wanted him to stay, no?
That's part of it, maybe.

Rondo likes the freedom he gets. Rondo has said that coach (i.e.e freedom) would be one of the factors in his FA decisions this summer. Rondo as recentyl as a few days ago declined to point fingers at George's schemes.

Then again Rondo mentioned the optional shootarounds...unless maybe that was aimed at a lack of dedication from the players? And now there is even pushback about whether the 3 or 4 players showing up was accurate.

Then you have Cuz, who various people like to tag with a variety of inaccurate labels, few less accurate than coach killer. In his entire time in Sacramento you know how many coaches Cousins has asked us to fire, so far as we know? None. Zero. Paul Westphal absolutely hated him and more or less quit over it. Fired himself. Smart and Cuz clashed, but Smart's fate was sealed by the change in ownership, he was fired before we even officially decided to keep Cuz. Cuz in no way shape or form wanted to lose Malone. And Cuz even advocated keeping Ty Corbin because he didn't think he was being treated fairly. When Karl tried to backstab him this summer, Cuz's response was to ask for a trade behind the scenes, not to ask for Karl to be fired.

Then early int he season after Cuz blew up at him the stories went (and these stories are form some of the same sources that got this Karl being fired thing wrong, so grain of salt), but still, the stories went that Vlade may even have asked Cuz and Cuz said don't fire him.

Now I don't have a great way to explain the last two games if Cuz didn't think Karl was being fired unless it is the normal Cuz shutting down when it all goes to crap thing. Because I think Cuz desperately wants to have stability and a long term coach. And maybe his crap play was him hearing and anticipating the end rather than him trying to cause it.

And so again, Vivek could have meddled for money or ideology, Vlade could have balked because of stability and a certain over-respect for old guys he knows, or quite possibly the lead players might still, in spite of everything, prefer to keep waddling along under old George rather than be cast into uncertainty again. Or some combination of the above.

Putting it mildly, this is very bad. It's even more annoying as a Kings fan that we are wasting another year. Karl stays and I bet no major trades happen either, let's try to force something to work which can never work. Let's face it, the Cousins and Karl relationship was never going to work, I don't care whose fault it was, the bottom line was that it was never going to work and it's still not going to work. The players have quit on Karl and that won't change either.

Jason Ross & Co: #1 you either decide to trade your star player (for great value) or as a franchise you have to change your approach with your star player; they've catered to him for six years. Can you do that? That's a parent laying down the law after six years of coddling. He's not optimistic. They think it probably gets worse before it gets better.
They haven't catered to cousins at ALL. Are you kidding me? If anything, they've gone behind his big and given him a nice big "F U " on multiple occasions

Bricklayer

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski
I’ve been told that cash was the prevailing factor and minority owners helped steer the Kings toward the decision they made today.

And then there is this too.

A while back I heard some disturbing things about these "minority owners" that Woj and friends like to lionize. That they collectively had their lips puckered rather directly to old George's backside and would rather have an old George than anything else int he world because, well, they are morons.

Now thing is, all this "minority owners" stuff should be just utter nonsense. Completely made up tripe that people have seized upon as Vivek alternatives, but with no power at all. Only way I could see that not being true is if there is something in their ownership agreements allowing them to opt out of certain financial obligations entered into by the majority owner.

My opinion was to terminate Karl in the off-season. The terminating of Karl during the season would have resulted in a PR nightmare and more expense. I then ask myself why even mention that Karl will most likely get terminated during the all-star break? This sort of dirty laundry must never be exposed to the media. The FO still hasn't learned to keep its mouth shut. Let Karl finish what's left of this season and then can him in the off-season when there will be more coaches available to choose from.

Bricklayer

My opinion was to terminate Karl in the off-season. The terminating of Karl during the season would have resulted in a PR nightmare and more expense. I then ask myself why even mention that Karl will most likely get terminated during the all-star break? This sort of dirty laundry must never be exposed to the media. The FO still hasn't learned to keep its mouth shut. Let Karl finish what's left of this season and then can him in the off-season when there will be more coaches available to choose from.
But now ask yourself did the front office ever say anything of the sort? See, that's the thing here: if you actually trace all this back we've got a lot of local media speculating, but almost no player or front office quotes to back it up. Which BTW does not mean they weren't thinking it. Just means we've got speculation and then "sources" rather than the front office intentionally smearing egg on its own face.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
No more sources, please. As to the fans, don't let wishful thinking cloud your judgment. This is a mess but what started it other than speculation that very quickly became fact until the real fact was known.

How do people know what happened in a private 5 min chat? I'll start with that. Nobody should know. Some control needs to be put on this.

No more sources, please. As to the fans, don't let wishful thinking cloud your judgment. This is a mess but what started it other than speculation that very quickly became fact until the real fact was known.

How do people know what happened in a private 5 min chat? I'll start with that. Nobody should know. Some control needs to be put on this.
I would like to point out that 5 min length of the talk is questionable, and it goes from there ;)

dude12

Hall of Famer
Wait until Philadelphia blows us out scoring 120+ points......no way George adjusts his defense because, 1, he won't listen and 2, he doesn't have any idea on how to fix it.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Amick makes an interesting point on the Lowe podcast that people don't want to discuss the possible health reasons for Karl not being able to coach agressively, that players struggle to hear his hoarse voice in huddles, and that Rondo couldn't hear Karl's call in the Chicago game.
I talk the way Karl does and it is because I take many dehydrating meds and have a bridge. It takes awhile to get everything lubricated well enough to talk. The problem with it that an NBA coach dealing with incredible athletes needs to project a better image. I hope this all means he will further delegate. I hope the pace thing is shelved for the most part. We have great athletes being run into the ground.

I didn't see us coming out of this well no matter what was decided about the last 30 games. Perhaps showing support of a coach for once will make it easier to hire future coaches. I realize the coaches who lost their jobs were not of high caliber but I can see a Thibs for example thinking "this is the organization that has had 8 coaches in the the years since Adelman and, if Karl were fired right now, 4 coaches in the last year."

The latter of course is speculation.

Before this season started, I truly felt this team was finally going to turn the corner.

Talk about the ultimate bait and switch.

Anyone else feel completely sick committing to season tickets...

$126k over the next 3 seasons of this? I feel I literally could die right now.

It's not clear that the leaks came from the front office or that they were legitimate in the first place.