Draymond being Draymond, 2023-24

JFC some of you are too much, there is also more than a huge hint of privilege and not-so-subtle undertones here that I flat-out do not like.

He should be suspended and he should have been suspended more for what he had done previously. End of story. We don't need to dig into the psychy and upbringing of the man. That's not our job.

I don't know that this is the case. I think it is more of a "let's figure out and go through a process and see what it ends up being" type of situation. I don't think they know exactly what that process will be yet. I do wish they would put a minimum limit on it up front though.

I agree that he doesn't think he did anything wrong (in the various infractions) and that is a HUGE issue. I don't think he should be playing again this year, at a minimum, given his actions. I don't think the previous punishments were severe enough to begin with, either.
I agree. The NBA made a mistake with Ja Morant. Gave him the ability to go seek counseling, was miraculously better right after it, rejoined the team and then did the same thing 3 weeks later. It was only then he was even “punished.” It seems to me, from what we can see, that a similar approach could be taken with Green and I couldn’t think of a worse thing to do other than not doing anything. That guy needs counseling for sure, but he also needs a reality check in the form of a big suspension.

His ego is a mile wide and he's as impulsive as it gets. If he feels like someone is getting the upper hand on him in what he perceives as a disrespectful manner, his impulsivity overpowers everything else and he can't help but retaliate.

We all have a piece of that inside of us but the vast majority of us control it so we don't get fired, land in jail or get hurt.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Perkins has it right.
"Take the time he needs to deal with the challenges he's facing."

Why do they always need to make him sound like a victim?

The dude is a criminal. Draymond needs help? No, the rest of the league needs help from leadership to get him out, that's who needs help. The victims of his violence need help you absolute morons.
Exactly! The victims are guys that Green has clobbered, choked and stomped on. Perkins restated the same thing on NBA TV, today, by the way. And he called out Kerr for his "soft voice" on Green, when he hasn't been "soft voice" on many other things. The Warriors org and Kerr have been complicit in this. As their season falls into the abyss, I fully expect to hear more "soft voice" from Kerr and the org implying how they are the victims in all of this when in fact they have been accessories to this fiasco.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't think the previous punishments were severe enough to begin with, either.
The previous punishments were a license for him to do this. Especially the "punishment" for trying to murder Domas. If that had been 5 games which it certainly should have been, then Rudy incident if it even happens is 10+ and this probably never happens.

He's a sociopath.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So is the NBA letting Draymond decide how long his suspension will be, based on how long it takes him to “figure it out?”

If so, that’s a crock of **** and I completely disagree. Give him the time he needs yes, but when he’s ready to come back, then suspend him. Just because he’s emotionally unstable and unable to play now should not account for his actual punishment. There needs to be a punishment. Green can go on and on about how he needs help now and “heat of the moment”, but there are plenty of podcasts that he’s created where he defends himself even after having time to dwell on it. The guy is deranged and is endangering others. Get help, and when you come back, you will serve your punishment. That’s what should happen.
Yeah, I agree. When Kyrie gave a press conference and refused to apologize he was held out indefinitely until he changed his attitude. Draymond did the same thing after his 5 game chokehold suspension and he was allowed to play even though his actions were far less excusable than Kyrie, who said some dumb stuff but didn't attack anybody on the court. If anything, it seems like a lot of folks who should know better agreed with Draymond that defending a teammate somehow excused what he did to Rudy Gobert...

The natural progression from there was Draymond getting even more violent. The NBA league office has given him a free pass to act like a jackass on the court for years and now they have to somehow find an acceptable punishment that doesn't out them as hypocrites. Maybe that's why all the language is focusing on "getting him help" instead of laying down the law? They've backed themselves into an impossible PR corner and now they're trying to spin it like this latest incident is outside of his normal character -- which it clearly is not, dating back at least to the Jordan Poole punch before the 2022-2023 season.

dude12

Hall of Famer
But Kerr sure got upset apparently when people were questioning Curry’s leadership. He called it grotesque or something like that. lol. I’m just not a fan of anything associated with that whole organization and the way they are being sympathetic towards Green is disgusting. Sometimes a person is just an a**hole.

Yeah, I agree. When Kyrie gave a press conference and refused to apologize he was held out indefinitely until he changed his attitude. Draymond did the same thing after his 5 game chokehold suspension and he was allowed to play even though his actions were far less excusable than Kyrie, who said some dumb stuff but didn't attack anybody on the court. If anything, it seems like a lot of folks who should know better agreed with Draymond that defending a teammate somehow excused what he did to Rudy Gobert...

The natural progression from there was Draymond getting even more violent. The NBA league office has given him a free pass to act like a jackass on the court for years and now they have to somehow find an acceptable punishment that doesn't out them as hypocrites. Maybe that's why all the language is focusing on "getting him help" instead of laying down the law? They've backed themselves into an impossible PR corner and now they're trying to spin it like this latest incident is outside of his normal character -- which it clearly is not, dating back at least to the Jordan Poole punch before the 2022-2023 season.
Gotta love the politics behind decision making. He made them money. They were a dynasty and a darling team in the league that played fun and won championships. Now that the window has closed, his actions can no longer be supported. There’s some of that going on too.

Gotta love the politics behind decision making. He made them money. They were a dynasty and a darling team in the league that played fun and won championships. Now that the window has closed, his actions can no longer be supported. There’s some of that going on too.
That which produces shareholder value must never be questioned!!

I agree. The NBA made a mistake with Ja Morant. Gave him the ability to go seek counseling, was miraculously better right after it, rejoined the team and then did the same thing 3 weeks later. It was only then he was even “punished.” It seems to me, from what we can see, that a similar approach could be taken with Green and I couldn’t think of a worse thing to do other than not doing anything. That guy needs counseling for sure, but he also needs a reality check in the form of a big suspension.
It would be interesting to be able to listen in to his "counseling sessions". I can only imagine how that might go

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The velocity of Green's hand hitting Nurkic was extremely high, to the point that if the meaty part of Green's hand hit Nurkic in the temple we would be having an entirely different discussion - whether Green should be charged with a crime involving murder. I wonder if the NBA considered that in their deliberations?

I'm not a Draymond fan, but suspensions in the NBA are handed out based on the damage they do to the NBA's brand value, and not too much else

Arguments about morality and justice are not even wrong. (Those aren't services that the NBA provides. )

When Draymond comes back, the league should allow it to happen with a disclaimer that one more incident where he provably injures or tries to injure a player will result in a permanent ban from the NBA. Let him go play in Europe or Asia if they would have him.

In that manner, then it is up to Draymond to hang himself or not. That relieves the NBA from continuing to capriciously fine, suspend, and/or reprimand him...all of which have failed to alter his behavior.

Chronic dirty player sizes up and punches a dude.

12 games.

What a joke.

At least they mentioned "indefinitely" originally so it seems like a lot. :eyeroll:
I miss David Stern. He didn’t let anyone put a stain on the NBA if he could help it. Stern wasn’t perfect by any means, but Draymond would have been out of the league way before it ever reached this point. Either out of the league or a scrub you couldn’t play out of fear he’d do something stupid.

Trying to look at this another way.
They are giving him a last chance. He has received "Counseling", training, whatever you want to call it.
He is has now been deemed as good as the powers that be can make him. He either is a changed person, and therefore a changed player..or he is not.
If he is cured of a lifelong problem so be it. If he is not...and doesn't measure up to the standards, and steps in it again, the uproar from the rest of the league should be loud enough to send him home.
In other words, he is on the NBA version of "Double-Secret Probation."
If he steps in it again and they look the other way then the NBA looses whatever credibility it has left.

I give him a month maximum ...
This guy is crazy already for a deccade or more ...
Have no idea how is he in the ''real life'' but at court is like a mad dog ...
And while he wasnt attacking other player honeslty was not so bad , but recently ...
He has a decent heir in Europe to be honest ...