Do We Want Gay That Badly?

Plenty has changed in Sacramento and I can see that living on the other side of the country. The city itself doesn't have to change drastically to entice a player to come or stay. Our major issue is not the market or town, it is our tradition of losing. That is what makes players not want to come here. We have stunk it up for the better part of a decade now and stunk it up for decades before our golden era with Webber and crew. Any player with even a tiny amount of substance between his ears should be able to see that Sacramento will have something going for it very soon that not many, if any, teams will be able to claim. A brand spanking new arena, a revitalized downtown due to the new arena and the new owners, an untapped market in India (this is huge, just think of the extra money a player/team can earn having his jersey sold there on a big time scale), and an owner willing to do whatever it takes to put a winner out on the court. And then there is Cousins, arguably the best big man in the league right now and not even in his prime, waiting for partners in crime. These aren't uncertainties, all of this will happen. Another crucial aspect is all of you. The fans that saved the Kings, the loudest fans in the NBA. If I were a player, I would be asking where to sign. The problem is we have stunk for so long that we are having a hard time getting rid of the feeling and smell. You build a winner, and they will come. San Antonio isn't a huge market and yet they manage to retain most of their players and sign new ones all the time. They win. We have to start now too.
While these things are great for the city and fans, none of these factors are going to sway big free agents away from major markets to our city.

We need to be realistic about this in our team building strategy.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Plenty has changed in Sacramento and I can see that living on the other side of the country. The city itself doesn't have to change drastically to entice a player to come or stay. Our major issue is not the market or town, it is our tradition of losing. That is what makes players not want to come here. We have stunk it up for the better part of a decade now and stunk it up for decades before our golden era with Webber and crew. Any player with even a tiny amount of substance between his ears should be able to see that Sacramento will have something going for it very soon that not many, if any, teams will be able to claim. A brand spanking new arena, a revitalized downtown due to the new arena and the new owners, an untapped market in India (this is huge, just think of the extra money a player/team can earn having his jersey sold there on a big time scale), and an owner willing to do whatever it takes to put a winner out on the court. And then there is Cousins, arguably the best big man in the league right now and not even in his prime, waiting for partners in crime. These aren't uncertainties, all of this will happen. Another crucial aspect is all of you. The fans that saved the Kings, the loudest fans in the NBA. If I were a player, I would be asking where to sign. The problem is we have stunk for so long that we are having a hard time getting rid of the feeling and smell. You build a winner, and they will come. San Antonio isn't a huge market and yet they manage to retain most of their players and sign new ones all the time. They win. We have to start now too.

...sigh. I related my point specifically to basketball.

Spike said:
You keep saying this, but not a dang thing has changed as it pertains to basketball.

Sure, on the outside, we're in a much better place with regards to the fact that we have a new owner and we're NOT IN SEATTLE, but that's about it. Until we start winning, no player within the NBA is going to say that "we've changed." Just look back to last season, where we were throwing excess money at players, and ended up with Landry...still the same old, same old. We need to start winning before "things will change."

While these things are great for the city and fans, none of these factors are going to sway big free agents away from major markets to our city.

We need to be realistic about this in our team building strategy.
You may or may not be right. There is no precedent for this in Sacramento history is there? I understand as a smaller market team it is much more difficult, but I still think we can make a great pitch. A mostly untapped market in India can be huge, not a single one of us know the extent of what type of role that may play. All I know is a lot of the small market teams like the Kings simply cannot make the same pitch we can. We have an advantage right now. Why do you think that Rudy Gay got a 3D walkthrough of the new arena. Vivek isn't stupid. He knows what vision is and that is what he is selling. Only question is will it work?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
PDA found a way to get rid of Thornton, Salmons and Hayes. That alone gives him a bit more time in my book to work some magic. Some of you have apparently forgotten just how bad this "team" looked before some of those moves were made. Look back at the threads from 2012-2013.

It's so easy to take potshots at the new regime before they've even had a full year of actually running the team the way they want to, unencumbered by a lot of the previous regime's left-overs. I guess sometimes haters (a word I generally avoid) just gotta hate.

PDA found a way to get rid of Thornton, Salmons and Hayes. That alone gives him a bit more time in my book to work some magic. Some of you have apparently forgotten just how bad this "team" looked before some of those moves were made. Look back at the threads from 2012-2013.

It's so easy to take potshots at the new regime before they've even had a full year of actually running the team the way they want to, unencumbered by a lot of the previous regime's left-overs. I guess sometimes haters (a word I generally avoid) just gotta hate.
In my defense I found the team equally ****ty after the trades..albeit slightly more entertaining

While I agree on Hayes and Thornton, Salmons would nit have bern too hard to move at the time he was moved. He is essentially an expiring contract with only $1 million fully guaranteed for next season. Salmons' contract was unmoveable until this past season where he was practically a largeish expiring deal which has some real value to a team trying to dump a big contract (i.e. Toronto with Rudy Gay)

S

Shabazz916

missed that opportunity last years trade deadline to get something for IT. if we're lucky we might scoop up a vasquez for reke level trade and then spend the extra capspace on a landry level player.

yeah i agree.. i think ray mac is a better pg especially on defense he is bigger.. and he showed somethen on offense too

Do you really believe that Uriji wasn't acting in the best interests of the Raptors when he made the deal? That he somehow owed PDA anything?
it's easier to come to an agreement between "friends". they got what they wanted out of the deal'; some salary cap savings. it wasn't like there were a line of suitors begging to trade for rudy's services at nearly 20m/yr like they are with love. let's be real here.