Contract extension for Divac + David Morway

David Morway - about year ago:

“We spend quite a bit of time evaluating the players as basketball players and analytically,” said David Morway, Milwaukee’s assistant general manager, who works for the owners Wesley Edens and Marc Lasry. “But the difficult piece of the puzzle is the psychological side of it, and not only psychological, character and personality issues, but also team chemistry issues.”

like.

“We spend quite a bit of time evaluating the players as basketball players and analytically,” said David Morway, Milwaukee’s assistant general manager, who works for the owners Wesley Edens and Marc Lasry. “But the difficult piece of the puzzle is the psychological side of it, and not only psychological, character and personality issues, but also team chemistry issues.”

like.
Interesting...I wonder how he's going to view DMC.

This feels premature. We were in no rush to extend Vlade, so why do it now?

Question is, will Vlade remain the GM? Or will he get someone more qualified? During the AS, there were reports about him looking for a GM. http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/02/16...-in-gm-to-work-under-vlade-divac-this-summer/

I just don't feel comfortable with Vlade as the GM going forward.
No rush. You want to go into the off season with a GM not under contract, needing a new coach and have the draft on deck? The organization needs stability and when you consider what he inherited and the turbulent waves he has navigated and smoothed out, I am very comfortable about him leading the charge forward.

Question is, will Vlade remain the GM? Or will he get someone more qualified? During the AS, there were reports about him looking for a GM. http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/02/16...-in-gm-to-work-under-vlade-divac-this-summer/
Why on earth was his deal a one year deal to start with?

That was part of the problem. If Vlade had job security to start we may have avoided this wasted season by ending the Karl mistake much earlier

This is a great move! One of the few moves this new organization has made to promote stability. Also look at the first year resume, I think Divac has done a very good job. The biggest problem was the coach that he didn't even hire.

Add to this an assistant general manager who is a salary cap expert to go along with Divac who is more the people person, good combination. This all shows strength in an organization that needs some.

Now the next step needs to be to fire Karl immediately and start the coaching search soon after. Bring in someone as soon as possible so they have an entire offseason to get things in order. Need to also sign that new coach to a long-term deal to show commitment there as well.

like.
Being a psychology student I kind of like this guy already :p

S

sactownfan

I just don't feel comfortable with Vlade as the GM going forward.
Geoff Petrie? Player turned GM? That worked out pretty well. That is until the maloofs started handcuffing him with their money issues and jimmer lol!

Geoff Petrie? Player turned GM? That worked out pretty well. That is until the maloofs started handcuffing him with their money issues and jimmer lol!
There is no doubt in my mind that Sacramento would have a title right now if Petrie hadn't had his hands tied.

Valde's moves this offseason look horrible right now. We trade away a young player, future 1st, and 2 consecutive years of pick swaps to win 3-4 more games than last year?

Sixers fleeced us, and many are in denial about it. Of course I'd rather have Rondo, Kofus over Landry, Thompson...but not at the expense of what we gave up.

Vlade just needs to bring in a real GM. Reports were that he was looking at potential GMs during all star weekend.

I don't feel comfortable with moving forward with him as the GM. I was excited for Vlade, but now? Not so much. I have 0 problems with him as VP.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Good good on Vlade. No more drama.

As for Morway, solid NBA exec w/no drama tendencies of which I am aware, although he and Larry Bird (who does have a little drama in him), had a falling out over a blown trade.

What this means is that Vlade Divac is now our Larry Bird. Morway isn't a solo caliber GM, but he's been around forever as a high assistant GM/part of a collective. He played the same role in Indiana vs. Bird as he likely will play here vs. Vlade. He's more than capable of handling the day to day, likely without the ego/expectation that he is taking over and its now "his team".

This is a description from an old article 8 years ago when the Pacers bumped his title up to "GM" for a while:

Morway, who has been with the Pacers 10 years, has been serving as Senior Vice President/Basketball Operations for the team, overseeing the day-to-day operation and administration of the Basketball Division. As General Manager, he will retain his current duties and will assume additional responsibilities of overseeing salary cap issues as well as assisting Pacers President of Basketball Larry Bird with all personnel decisions.
From an article about the falling out with Bird:
Morway did a lot of talking to teams and some of the negotiating. Bird would then step in and make the final decision.
Seems a likely description for what he will be here.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Valde's moves this offseason look horrible right now. We trade away a young player, future 1st, and 2 consecutive years of pick swaps to win 3-4 more games than last year?

Sixers fleeced us, and many are in denial about it. Of course I'd rather have Rondo, Kofus over Landry, Thompson...but not at the expense of what we gave up.

Vlade just needs to bring in a real GM. Reports were that he was looking at potential GMs during all star weekend.

I don't feel comfortable with moving forward with him as the GM. I was excited for Vlade, but now? Not so much. I have 0 problems with him as VP.
that future first was traded about 3 years ago not this past offseason. and if we are in top 10 again this year then it becomes a 2nd rounder. as far as the pick swaps go. philly picks top 3 every year I doubt either of those will ever happen. so basically stauskas was traded.

Bricklayer

We traded a 2019 1st, which still has decent potential to be late teens and up. That's all we traded.

George Karl completely sabotaged everything Vlade did this past summer...

We needed an outside shooter at the SG position, he brings in one of the best available shooters on a decent contract. Karl then proceeds to destroy Marco Belinelli by playing him totally wrong. Leading to his worst year of his career all while his point guard leads the league in assists and his center commands double and triple teams every possession. Tell me how that even happens for a spot shooter? smh

He also resigned Casspi, who is not only a fan favorite, but maybe one of the best values in the entire league.

Signed Rajon Rondo. Although it seemed there weren't that many suitors coming off a bad season, he still was the biggest name this team had signed in years.

Brought in Koufos. A lot of people said at the time KK was one of the better back up centers in the league. Gives him way too many minutes and constantly pairs him incorrectly with Cousins.

Needed some leadership. Signed Caron Butler. Self explanatory.

Shaved 16 million in salary to sign these guys by giving up Stauskas (Vivek's guy/Bust), Jason Thompson (Cry baby), Carl Landry and a pick swap that will most likely never happen.

and finally...

Drafted Willie Cauley-Stein.

This team should have been a lock for the 7th-8th spot. Not only did Karl run this team to death with his stupid offensive play calling (which probably lead to Cousins' injuries), he somehow found a way to put together the worst defensive scheme the NBA has ever seen.

I believe in Vlade, he will find a way to get this right.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
that future first was traded about 3 years ago not this past offseason. and if we are in top 10 again this year then it becomes a 2nd rounder. as far as the pick swaps go. philly picks top 3 every year I doubt either of those will ever happen. so basically stauskas was traded.
Wrong future first.

In the Thompson/Stauskas Philly deal we also included a future first, which is either top-10 protected in 2018 (if we convey our pick to Chicago this year) or unprotected in 2019.

Bricklayer

So I guess Stojakovic stays on as well as Director of Player Personnel and Development as well as general manager of Reno Bighorns. Seems like he and Divac are tethered at the hip and that's good.
I don't see why anybody else would have to change with this hire. Likely diminishes Bratz's role a bit, but then again he was always a bit "small" for a blown up role anyway, and might be happy to have less responsibility, who knows.

On Morway's watch they made the trade for Hibbert, drafted Paul George (and Lance Stephensen), signed David West and hired Frank Vogel -- so the whole core of that 59 win team. And DEFENSE. Note that they also traded for Darren Collison and did not dump him until just a few weeks before Morway's tenure was up, and he doubtless was entirely out of the loop/decisionmaking.

On the other hand, they made a teeny tiny little mistake when they, ahem, draft day traded some kid named Kawhi Leonard to get back George Hill. :eek:

Again on all those moves though, Bird was likely a larger factor. Especially by the time of the West signing after he and Morway were on the outs. And Vogel was an assistant who took over and was retianed, so that wasn't a hiring off of a coaching search.