Coaching Candidates for next season (merged)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I do not want Mark Jackson or Scott Brooks....there is a reason both got dumped despite winning. Why go with a retread like this. Thibs is the number 1 choice. Udoka.....I'm going of funkykingston recommendation and the fact he is in the Spurs org......sounds like a potential good hire. I'm not so sure about Kevin Ollie.....legit question....did his program take a step backwards and did he benefit from taking over for the previous coach who brought in the talent.
So let me get this straight, there's a reason that Jackson and Brooks got dumped, but there isn't a reason that Thib's got dumped. Gotcha!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Mark Jackson might honestly be the best coach for Cousins... I won't mind him here at all. No one will ever be able to truly get through Cuz, but Jackson comes close. He's a players coach.
Cousins doesn't like Jackson, or so it was reported last year. Now Jackson gushes over Cousins on air, so who knows. But Cousins has a bullcrap detector a mile wide. I doubt Jackson would even pass the sniff test, let alone years of exposure.

Mike Malone was a flat straight shooter. That's all that is required. No flim flam men. Bull crap artists. Egomaniacs. Insecure guys looking to lay down the law etc. Be a straight shooter, and have Cuz's back. Its not that hard.

Brooks, however, as I've said before Brooks is in the same position Rick Adelman was in. His great sin is that a bunch of fool....er...people decided that he should be winning titles every year. So "merely" coaching a perennial power/contender was not enough.

And of course as Kings fans we want to dump the NBA's assist leader, dump the All NBA center, and we're too good for a guy who's very worst season was better recordwise than any coach we've ever had in 30 years but Adelman.
Me thinks counsel is taking some rhetorical liberties.

I recall quite a few quibbles with Brooks' X's and O's, as well as rotations. Folks said he overplayed washed up vets like Fisher and Perkins, and didn't do a good job staggering minutes Durant and Westbrook (although this is such a common complaint of coaches that I wonder if this is something that fans/writers think is a good idea in theory but doesn't work in practice)

That said, Brooks got his players to buy in, which is probably the #1 criterion for this team (aside from a passable defensive scheme). I thought this take from the time was fair: http://www.sbnation.com/2015/4/22/8469587/scott-brooks-fired-okc-thunder-kevin-durant

Certainly a worthy candidate, but I'm not sure he's one of my favorites.

Cousins doesn't like Jackson, or so it was reported last year. Now Jackson gushes over Cousins on air, so who knows. But Cousins has a bullpoopoo detector a mile wide. I doubt Jackson would even pass the sniff test, let alone years of exposure.
That's what I recall from last year as well. But, for what it's worth, Carmichael Dave was tweeting that he thought Cousins would be fine with Jackson. So, maybe that meeting went fine, but the team decided to go in a different direction.

That's what I recall from last year as well. But, for what it's worth, Carmichael Dave was tweeting that he thought Cousins would be fine with Jackson. So, maybe that meeting went fine, but the team decided to go in a different direction.
Maybe Jackson will tell him it's part of Gods plan.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Just read that the Bulls are now talking overhauling their roster......hahaha. This is what happens when you fall for pace and dump a coach who got that roster to play at the level it did when Thibs was the coach.

If Thibs was coach, Cuz would love him, we have the bigs with defensive potential already in place, Gay either gets with it or moves on, I'd be very interested to see if McLemore could handle Thibs and if he could become the defensive player we want, Rondo and Thibs have a relationship.........I'd open the bank for him. For once, we would become a gritty and tough defensive squad. That would be exciting.

Marc Jackson strikes me as the NBA's coaching version of Mike Singletary.

Except Mike Singletary backs up what he preaches and Jackson has been outed as a hypocrite who preaches one thing and then does another.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Reasons......Chicago f'ed that one up. They got worse. Brooks....not sure about that one. Mark Jackson got fired and Golden State got better.
There were a couple of other reasons that the Warriors got better. By no means am I defending Mark Jackson, just saying that because a coach gets fired that doesn't disqualify him, or make him a bad coach. Adelman was fired in Portland, came here, and almost won the title.

Thoughts on Patrick Ewing as a head coach? I don't know anything about what he's done as an assistant in Charlotte, Orlando, etc. but listening to him on Woj's podcast, he sounds like a no nonsense old school guy that might relate well with Cuz and in theory would know how to best utilise an elite center.

Having said that, I think a proven head coach is needed by the Kings right now. Just interested in what the basketball minds here think!?

Just read that the Bulls are now talking overhauling their roster......hahaha. This is what happens when you fall for pace and dump a coach who got that roster to play at the level it did when Thibs was the coach.

If Thibs was coach, Cuz would love him, we have the bigs with defensive potential already in place, Gay either gets with it or moves on, I'd be very interested to see if McLemore could handle Thibs and if he could become the defensive player we want, Rondo and Thibs have a relationship.........I'd open the bank for him. For once, we would become a gritty and tough defensive squad. That would be exciting.
I am far from Brooks apologist but I am not convinced that OKC improved with Donovan. If anything they are further away from genuinely contending. Last year Broks was fired because he just missed the playoffs without Durant for majority of the season.

He has developed a lot of very good players along the way and has always placed great emphasis on defense.

He wouldn't be my first choice but he would make a very good pick for us going forward. Interesting offseason ahead.

Patrick Ewing has paid his dues as an assistant around the league and recently expressed his desire to be a head coach on the vertical podcast which I recommend people take the time to check out.

The Kings are unlikely to have success pursuing the top coaches on the market, which include Jeff Van Gundy, Tom Thibodeau and Scott Brooks. None of the three has interest in the Kings job, league sources said.

The Kings will be working from a list that will include Vinny Del Negro, Boston Celtics assistant Jay Larranaga, ex-Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt, Atlanta Hawks assistant Kenny Atkinson and former Phoenix Sunscoach Jeff Hornacek, sources said.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--kings-plan-to-dismiss-george-karl-on-thursday-160949970.html

Update on the coaching search. But this is Woj reporting so who knows

Interesting nugget there:

Unlike the firing of coach Michael Malone in December 2015 – a unilateral, solo choice by owner Vivek Ranadive – the dismissal of Karl is a broader decision of ownership and top basketball executive Vlade Divac.
We'll never hear the end/get to the bottom of that, will we?

Also:

The Kings are unlikely to have success pursuing the top coaches on the market, which include Jeff Van Gundy, Tom Thibodeau and Scott Brooks. None of the three has interest in the Kings job, league sources said.

The Kings will be working from a list that will include Vinny Del Negro, Boston Celtics assistant Jay Larranaga, ex-Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt, Atlanta Hawks assistant Kenny Atkinson and former Phoenix Suns coach Jeff Hornacek, sources said.
Lovely.

I really like Blatt. However, I'm scared that he won't have enough authority over DeMarcus. At this point, if Cousins can't get along with our next Kings HC, I think his time is probably up.

Scott Brooks: Good coach with a good record, though one could argue he was boosted by two all stars in Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant, plus a borderline all star in Serge Ibaka, plus other good players. I still feel he was unfairly fired and think he's a good coach that I'd be happy with us employing.

Mark Jackson: He did a good job with the Warriors helping take them from a losing team to a winning team. Sure he ended up getting removed as head coach, but he still did a good job with the Warriors.

Tom Thibodeau: Excellent defensive coach with a very good record in Chicago considering he's had to deal with injuries most years. This guy would probably be my ideal head coach because he should improve us defensively and he should be able to get the most out of them with how this roster is constructed.

Kevin McHale: He did a good job in Houston and they haven't exactly improved since firing him. Offensively the Rockets did very well under McHale, but defensively they weren't that good. I am not sure he is a great fit for us, but he did show in Houston he could coach big name, big ego type players and do a good job.

Vinny Del Negro: A former player that could be a popular pick. He did a solid job in Chicago and Los Angeles before getting fired. Problem with him is that some argue the Clippers' success was down to Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. I think they also complained about his rotations. But again he's another coach with a fair record.

For me, if we go the retread option I wouldn't mind any of the above head coaches but my preference would be Tom Thibodeau because of how much he got out of the Bulls his last three seasons. I think he could do a similar job with us and his style of coaching should work well here.

I'm actually impressed we're in the news with some of these big names. I would've assumed no one would take this land-mine job that is the head coach of the Kings.

Mark Jackson might honestly be the best coach for Cousins... I won't mind him here at all. No one will ever be able to truly get through Cuz, but Jackson comes close. He's a players coach.
I dunno, Cousins seems to like honest people, people who he believes will support him too. Jackson doesn't seem to fit that for me. He reminds me more of a slick politician absorbing the talents of those around him, while throwing you under the bus if need be.

Anyone have any interest in Monty Williams? I think he'd make for a fantatic head coach here. Love his integrity as a man and the fact that many of the big name players around the league love him. A true players coach.