Coaching Candidates for next season (merged)

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just as we do with tracking prospects during the NCAA season in preparation for the draft, I figured it might be worthwhile to take a look at the options that are out there and keep track of who is and isn't available as the months roll along.

First I'll list all the coaches that have been removed from the pool either because they are hired elsewhere, they remove their name from consideration or the Kings decide not to extend a contract to them.

Next is a list of all the coaches that have either been rumored to be on the Kings coaching search list or who we at kf.com have identified as viable options.
Coaches no longer in the pool:
  • George Karl - fired by the Kings. Will not be returning
  • Kenny Atkinson - Hired by the Nets as their new head coach
  • Tom Thibodeau - Hired by the T'Wolves as their coach and VP of basketball operations
  • Scott Brooks - Hired by the Wizards as their new head coach
Coaches still in the pool of options:
  • Adrian Griffin
  • Becky Hammon
  • Chip Engelland
  • Corliss Williamson
  • David Blatt
  • David Fizdale
  • Ettore Messina
  • Ime Udoka
  • Jay Larranaga
  • Jeff Van Gundy
  • John Calipari
  • Juwon Howard
  • Kevin McHale
  • Kevin Ollie
  • Lionel Hollins
  • Luke Walton
  • Mark Jackson
  • Mike Brown
  • Mike D'Antoni
  • Mike Woodson
  • Monty Williams
  • Nancy Liberman
  • Nate McMillan
  • Patrick Ewing
  • Sam Cassell
  • Sam Mitchell
  • Sean Miller
  • Shaka Smart
  • Tony Bennett

Here are the categories and breakdowns of available options as I see them:

Keeping the Status Quo

George Karl - The Kings can always let Karl continue to coach the team. I have this weird feeling that this is a more likely possibility than people realize. If the minority owners really did stop him from being fired and a new coach hired midseason, why couldn't that happen again in the offseason? The money difference isn't enormous between the two options. Personally I would think a huge run to finish the season would be the only way you'd even consider moving forward with this circus but there may be more going on behind the scenes than we realize.

Promoting a current assistant

Corliss Williamson
Nancy Liberman

I think a lot of both of these two but I don't see Vlade conducting an exhaustive coaching search only to hire a guy he's seen up close and personal for over a year. And while Liberman is one of the greatest to lace them up, she's only been an assistant coach for one season. And (although unfair) I don't see Vivek being willing to stick his neck out again and hire the NBA's first female head coach after being pilloried and mocked by the media for prior decisions.

Successful Head Coaches Currently out of the NBA

Tom Thibodeau - Thibs is the best defensive coach available which would be a fantastic change of pace for the Kings. But he also has a habit of running down his best players with too many minutes and is a micromanaging task master. I think the Kings would have to let Rondo walk for him to work as the head coach, something that DMC would take umbrage with.

Jeff Van Gundy - Another defense first coach who I like but I think he may have stepped away from coaching entirely at this point. And if he hasn't, I don't think the Kings job would lure him back.

Scott Brooks - Local ties, a long successful run with the Thunder and a guy who seemed to gain his players' trust. But also not a strong in game manager.

Kevin McHale - Hall of Fame big man with an incredible post game who was a part of three championship Celtics teams. As a coach he's seemed to connect well to his players and tailors his schemes to fit his personnel. Maybe not the most exciting choice and not the clear defensive coach (like Thibs or JVG) that most Kings fans (myself included) seem to want but a guy who seems like a good fit with both Vlade and Cousins.

Mark Jackson - Very similar to Brooks (minus the local ties) in my eyes, but a bigger personality and more of a motivator than anything. Some people seem to like the idea, I'm not a fan of Jackson, especially considering the amount of friction he seemed to create in GS which is now a well oiled machine without him.

Monty Williams - I don't know that he's successful per se, but his Pelicans made the playoffs last year and now essentially the same roster has struggled all year under the "upgrade" that Gentry was supposed to represent. I didn't like Williams' offensive scheme or rotations but he's a guy that's out there.

Lionel Hollins - Old school, defensive minded coach. For fans that want to see the Kings play more like the Grizzlies, here's your guy.

Mike D'Antoni - Currently an assistant for the 76ers but he's (1) too similar in style to Karl and (2) has always struggled to properly utilize a skilled big man as witnessed by his misuse of Gasol in L.A.

David Blatt - As I've said, my only real exposure to him as a coach (beyond what I've read about his success internationally) was watching him with the Cavs where he was clearly being undermined. So personally I don't really have a feel for him as an NBA coach.

Current Assistant Coaches

Luke Walton - He's going to be a big target in the offseason after the Warriors historic run with him taking the reins while Kerr recovered. How much of that was him and how much of it was a immensely talented and smart roster that was familiar with the scheme is hard to say. I'd be wary of getting into a bidding war for him but as loathe as I am to admit it (being that he was a hated Laker) he was a very savvy player so I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a very good coach.

Adrian Griffin - I'm kind of surprised he hasn't been given a head coaching job already. Smart, journeyman player during his career, long time Thibodeau disciple and right in the sweet spot of still being a younger coaching prospect but with lots of experience.

Sam Cassell - Is he ready to be a head coach? Was a winner and clutch performer as a player, seems to relate to players well and is being groomed under Doc Rivers.

Juwon Howard - Played under a number of good coaches, was teammates with bigs like Webber, Sheed, Camby, Aldridge, Yao, Birdman, (so I'm guessing he knows how to utilize guys like Boogie, WCS etc) is an assistant under Spoelstra and was essentially a player coach for the last couple years anyway.

David Fizdale - Another Heat assistant, and probably the guy that will get more interest over Howard. He doesn't have the credibility that comes from being a former player, but he often gets a lot of credit for being a good teacher & communicator who helps develop young players.

Kenny Atkinson - Long regarded as a player development guru he's looked at by many as the current assistant most ready to be a head coach. Currently the lead assistant under Budenholzer in Atlanta.

Jay Larranaga - Would be a fairly young hire, but he's been considered for jobs before - namely the Celtics job in 2013 (he's been a Boston assistant since 2012) which he lost out to Brad Stevens. But obviously the franchise thinks a lot of him as he remained on the staff. And Brad Steven's success obviously makes him an attractive option

Poaching from Pop - Spurs assistants

Chip Engelland - Long time Popovich assistant who (1) is a big part of identifying targets for the Spurs to add to the roster and (2) given a lot of credit for improving players' shooting. I don't know how good he'd be in a larger role or what his experience is in crafting offensive and defensive schemes, but I believe now that Budenholzer is with the Hawks he's been with Pop the longest.

Ime Udoka - I wouldn't think he'd be ready for a head coaching job but the Spurs seem to love him. In fact, they seem to love him so much he might not be available as he's likely the in house favorite to replace Pop when he retires.

Ettore Messina - a legend in international basketball who was a four time Euroleague champion, the Euroleague coach of the year twice and is in the Italian Basketball hall of fame. Messina will get some serious consideration this summer. David Blatt's struggles with the Cavs may give some people pause, but Messina isn't coming in to the NBA cold from overseas as Blatt did. Instead he's learned to adapt to the NBA game under the best coach of our generation. Very intriguing though he would be fairly old as a first time NBA head coach at 56.

Becky Hammon - I think Vivek is going to be too gun shy at this point to really go outside the box and hire the first female head coach in the NBA. Hammon is definitely qualified but even if the Kings were willing to break ground I think Nancy Lieberman would be a better choice.

Current College Coaches

John Calipari - this is the big name here, but it'd be a hell of a risk to pay the kind of money/years he'd demand especially when he went 72-112 in his only previous NBA stint.

Kevin Ollie - A red hot name after the Huskies won the title, his stock dipped a bit when UConn didn't make the tournament last season. But he has them playing well again this year and as a 15 year NBA vet he is a guy I would bet could move to the NBA and make it work.

Shaka Smart - Teams looking for the next Brad Stevens will probably like what they see out of Smart. I like him a lot as Texas' coach but I don't think he can run his "Havoc" defense at the NBA level. Would he be able to adapt to the NBA game? I don't know.

Tony Bennett - The son of a legendary HS basketball coach and succeeded him as the coach as Washington State. Did a great job there (including helping Klay Thompson's development) and then moved on to Virginia where he's continued to have success. I'm not sure the Pack Line defense will work in the NBA (it's just daring a team like the Warriors to kill you from outside) but I think he could adapt. Don't know if he wants to make the leap but I think he'd be a very good pro coach. Lots of guys have been viewed as "the next Brad Stevens" but I think Bennett is the guy most deserving of that title right now.

Sean Miller - A few teams have sniffed around Miller and looked at what it would take to pry him from Arizona. He's definitely a good basketball mind and college coach but personally I don't think he has the mindset/temperament to work with pro players.

Any other names to add? Any of my breakdowns that you disagree with or want to add more to?

Last edited:
Great post, I'm not familiar with every candidate either.

I will say if we reach the playoffs Karl has a good shot at keeping his job.

I'd prefer a veteran coach, no kids or first timers please, Thib would be my top choice, and I'm not sure that means Rondo is out for certain.

My prediction if Karl gets the axe is they will hire Mark Jackson, and I think that's a dangerous choice. Too many Warrior connections. There's been some talk his actual coaching is less than desirable with the X's and O's. I'm not sure about that, but it does make me nervous.

Lionel Hollins

Defensive oriented and made it work with Marc Gasol and Z-Bo...so I think he would work with Cousins.
Also, Conley became a good PG (which I wasn't certain was going to happen) under his watch, so perhaps could work with Rondo.

I know he failed with the Nets...but the Nets have no talent...so not really his fault.

I have always been a Mark Jackson fan because of the dominant defences he put together. He got the ball rolling at Golden State.

Great list by FunkyKingston.

Last edited:
I've seen some name Virginia's Tony Bennett as another Brad Stevens in waiting.

As for Ollie, if he wasn't willing to leave UConn for the Thunder, why would he for the Kings?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't see Thibs coming here and I don't think Jeff Van Gundy will leave his ESPN gig, he has got a nice thing going on over there. I am intrigued by Lionel Hollins and David Fizdale though, I think he will have an opportunity to be head coach one day.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Nice post! I agree with Uncia03 on Hollins. Good defensive minded coach, and a no nonsense guy as well. He helped create the image that Memphis has today. As far as college coaches go, and I wouldn't be opposed to going that route, I don't think Calipari is available. He has a great gig going at Kentucky and is already making big bucks, so other than something to do with his ego, I don't see what the attraction would be for him. I do like Shaka Smart for the same reasons I liked Brad Stevens. He has the ability to get the most out of his talent. Like Stevens, almost all of his teams overachieve. I also like Kevin Ollie for similar reasons. Not a big fan of Sean Miller. Good recruiter, but just a so so coach in my opinion.

Ettore Messina would be a very interesting choice. I've never heard a bad thing about him, and I don't think 56 is that old. Hell, he's a teenager compared to Karl. Naturally Thibodeau is a popular choice with the fans that populate this forum, and I wouldn't have a problem with him, but I'm not sure how good he is as an offensive coach. Of course you can always hire a good offensive minded assistant. This isn't a criticism, but I have the same problem with Brooks that I do Walton. Are they really good coaches, or are they just benefiting from having a team full of great players. It's not their fault, but how good are they at coaching a team like the Kings?

D'Antoni would be running a similar system as Karl, so I'm scratching him off my board. Ditto Mark Jackson. As you stated, not sure if Jeff Van Gundy would want to come here with all the headaches we've had recently, but he certainly would be a good candidate. He knows how to use big men. I can't speak to Sam Cassell. Most of the good or great coaches in the NBA are ex-point guards, but that unto itself doesn't make you a good coach. So Cassell is interesting. As is Griffin.

I think the question is, what kind of team are you building for the future, because whoever you hire as a head coach should fit that scenario. I don't think having Cousins as your star necessarily means you can't play at a faster pace at times. Just not all the time. A coach has to be able to comprise when it's needed. To my mind, a good coach will realize that Cousins has trouble with certain players or teams, and will come up with a game plan to negate that. I would like a coach that pays attention to little details. By the way, what ever happened to Nate McMillan?

I think McMillan wouldn't be a bad choice, if we want to become a team more focused on the defensive end. Indiana plays decent defense and even changed their identity from a slow paced team with West and Hibbert to the current more athletic makeup with Mahinmi/Turner or even to a small ball team in the beginning of the season. So while their lineups and playstyles changed, defense was always decent.
All I want is a coach able to adapt and able to handle both sides of the court well. Not again a hardliner, who will stick to his style no matter what. And I fear Thibs is just that kind of coach. 2014 Bulls vs Wizards series marked the point for me, where the nimbus of the championship caliber coach Thibs actually took a huge hit.
I'm just not convinced anymore that Thibs still has "it" in todays NBA.
But McMillan would actually be even more of a risk.....
Man I'm glad, that I'm not the one, that needs to make the decision, who is our coach going forward.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've seen some name Virginia's Tony Bennett as another Brad Stevens in waiting.

As for Ollie, if he wasn't willing to leave UConn for the Thunder, why would he for the Kings?
Bennett is another good coach worth considering. The hard part with most college coaches is that they are generally best suited for a younger roster, something that the Kings (as currently constructed) really aren't anymore.

With Ollie he was in the very beginning of his UConn deal and coming off a title win when OKC approached. He might be more willing to make the leap now, though maybe not to take the Sacramento job.

Personally I really like Griffin and Fizdale. I think the Kings need a younger coach that can grow with the team. And Griffin with his experience in the NBA and the billing of "a player friendly Thibs" could be a great move to replace Karl.

The next coach MUST be one that will put Cousins in the post majority of the time. While I marvel at Boogie's ability to attack the basket from the perimeter like a guard, it increases his chance of a serious injury by many folds. It also makes him fatigued a lot sooner and lowers his efficiency massively. We had the right coach in Malone but thats gone. Whoever can put our players in the correct situation and role according to their strengths should be the next coach.

I used to be a Rockets fan before I became a Kings fan when Reke came. JVGs defense wouldnt work in todays NBA in my opinion. Teams that could hit the 3 would destroy the Rockets.

Also, this might have been due to the personnel but they never really ran a offense. It was just iso Tmac or Yao in the post.

I used to be a Rockets fan before I became a Kings fan when Reke came. JVGs defense wouldnt work in todays NBA in my opinion. Teams that could hit the 3 would destroy the Rockets.

Also, this might have been due to the personnel but they never really ran a offense. It was just iso Tmac or Yao in the post.

Yao was dominant though, I remember how the Blazers and lakers had to front him and double or triple him in the post as soon as he got the ball during the playoffs.

Lionel Hollins

Defensive oriented and made it work with Marc Gasol and Z-Bo...so I think he would work with Cousins.
Also, Conley became a good PG (which I wasn't certain was going to happen) under his watch, so perhaps could work with Rondo.

I know he failed with the Nets...but the Nets have no talent...so not really his fault.

Hollins can be a good choice. But what was the reason that he got fired by the Grizz?

I want Blatt. He runs a good offense and Cleveland had great defense under him. Also he got great things out of role players in Cleveland.

Thibs is going to New York or Minnesota and I doubt JVG comes here.

Great post !

I was already rooting for Messina in 2009 when the Kings chose Westphal so I haven't changed my mind. Quite the contrary.
Euro legend, great basketball mind, learning the NBA under one of the greatest coach in NBA history, in a center-based system (Duncan/LA) ? Nothing to dislike in my opinion...

Was he the one that actually put in the defensive system or was it an assistant?
I kinda thought Mike Malone was instrumental in putting that defense together...?
wikipedia said:
The Golden State Warriors hired Malone in the summer of 2011 as an assistant coach under Mark Jackson.[4] In the 2012–13 season, the Warriors improved from a 23-43 record to finish 47-35 and earn the team's first playoff berth since 2007.[7] As the sixth seed in the 2013 NBA Playoffs, the Warriors upset the third-seed Denver Nuggets in the first round and lost to the eventual Western Conference championSan Antonio Spurs in six games the next round.[6] Malone was reportedly the highest-paid NBA assistant coach in the 2011–12 season.[4] In 2012, Malone was named the best assistant coach in the NBA by NBA General Managers.

Mark Jackson always talks about defense, even as a commentator. It was not an accident that Malone was his assistant. When a franchise gets turned around in one year I think the head coach deserves some credit.

We should be focusing on establishing a new FO before discussing coaching. This has been part of the problem because we have a current GM who didn't his his coach, and a head coach who wasn't able to hire all of his staff. This is bass-ackwards and needs to be fixed from the top down.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
We should be focusing on establishing a new FO before discussing coaching. This has been part of the problem because we have a current GM who didn't his his coach, and a head coach who wasn't able to hire all of his staff. This is bass-ackwards and needs to be fixed from the top down.
I'm pretty sure the front office is established. Vlade will remain VP of basketball operations and likely hire a GM but that person's role will be more about managing the salary cap, working the numbers for trades, detail work on contracts etc. Divac (probably in conjunction with Bratz and Peja) will almost certainly still be the guy making the final decision on any new coaching hires.

If a new GM is hired before then they might have a voice in the discussions but I don't see it changing Vlade's decision on who he would hire to replace Karl.

Yao was dominant though, I remember how the Blazers and lakers had to front him and double or triple him in the post as soon as he got the ball during the playoffs.
Oh yeah without a doubt Yao was unstoppable. They probably would have won the whole thing if Yao didnt break his foot in the playoffs. Yes, he was that unstoppable that year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This might be a bit of a stretch but what about Bobby Jackson?
First, welcome to KF. :)

Now, about Bobby? He did make it clear after he retired that he did, in fact, want to work towards being a head coach. Who knows if his time as an assistant soured that?

It actually might be interesting, especially if he could get Doug to come on as his defensive specialist.

If I was doing the search, I'd think I'd do whatever it takes to get John Calipari here as he's the coach I think Boogie has the most respect for and, because of that, would work the hardest for on keeping his cool, etc.

If we're going all in with Boogie, it's the only thing that really makes sense.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
First, welcome to KF. :)

Now, about Bobby? He did make it clear after he retired that he did, in fact, want to work towards being a head coach. Who knows if his time as an assistant soured that?

It actually might be interesting, especially if he could get Doug to come on as his defensive specialist.

If I was doing the search, I'd think I'd do whatever it takes to get John Calipari here as he's the coach I think Boogie has the most respect for and, because of that, would work the hardest for on keeping his cool, etc.

If we're going all in with Boogie, it's the only thing that really makes sense.
I appreciate where your coming from, but I don't think it's possible to lure Calipari away from Kentucky. He's already getting paid a ton of money there, and he's almost worshiped as a god on campus. I like Calipari, but to be honest, I'm not sure how his approach will translate to the NBA. And by the way, he uses the dribble drive system. Although when he had Cousins, the moment Cuz drifted away from the basket, he ended up on the bench. My point is, Calipari does adjust to his personnel. He is a very defensive minded coach despite his teams scoring a lot of points. I just don't see him giving all that up to come here. I guess stranger things have happened.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I appreciate where your coming from, but I don't think it's possible to lure Calipari away from Kentucky. He's already getting paid a ton of money there, and he's almost worshiped as a god on campus. I like Calipari, but to be honest, I'm not sure how his approach will translate to the NBA. And by the way, he uses the dribble drive system. Although when he had Cousins, the moment Cuz drifted away from the basket, he ended up on the bench. My point is, Calipari does adjust to his personnel. He is a very defensive minded coach despite his teams scoring a lot of points. I just don't see him giving all that up to come here. I guess stranger things have happened.
I appreciate where you're coming from, but I'm going to keep my dream thanks. ;)