Chris Duarte to Kings

Yea in this scenario I don't think it creates a glut like the fox Hali Davion situation so in this scenario I think it's all the better.

I see Duarte is kind of competing with Colby Jones for minutes at the moment, perhaps Kessler Edwards as well although I think Kessler can play more of a 3-4?

I don't know much about Chris Duarte and whether he can flex up to a 4 not sure but if not I guess his main competition would be Colby Jones.

But you are right that depth could be bad in the scenario that you have talent that's not really able to showcase their talent due to gluts on the roster.

In that case you lose out on value which kind of sucks.

In this case though I think we're alright
I still think that Hali and Fox not being able to work out together at least showcase wise was bad coaching period. There were not going to be at their peak abilities with eachother but one didn't have to suck to make the other look good.

Duarte at the 4 probably isn't something that will happen much unless Brown is in another search for an answer out of desperation again like TD getting the call at the last minute in they playoffs. The F spot if Lyles comes back and Sasha comes over is locked down tight as can be. If one of Sasha or Lyles outplay eachother and Lyles doesn't play the C spot then they get the Metu scraps from last year which is not playing in quite a few games and 5 minutes per half tops when they do. And that in and of itself is assuming either Keegan keeps playing around 29 mpg or Barnes starts playing around 25 or so which then that 18 million is a little light on value. 18 million is decent value for a starter like him putting up the production he does. If he starts tailing off into 10-12 ppg territory his value will go down because he's not doing anything else for a team other than scoring really. He's not a top notch defender, rebounder, or passer. As it was last year, Davion was the one that took a hit in minutes and Keegan was at times benched at some point in games for Lyles to get a minutes bump late in the year. It even shows up in the splits. In March Keegans minutes went down about 2 a game while Lyles' went up about the same.

Well I mean its something that gets talked about ad naseum with him and if you look at the ages of players selected in the lottery hes a bigtime outlier with like Dikembe Moutoumbo and perhaps a few of the guys who lied about their ages... But really the story of how Duarte got delayed due to injuries in college doesnt get brought up nearly as much.. He's also a JUCO guy so that usually delays players about another year, cuz they gotta prove themselves multiple times.

And if your being objective here as Kings fans, we should be FAR more concerned with his injury history than his age..

I actually thought he was on track to get drafted in 2020 (as more of a top of the 2nd rd type) in the same year with Peyton Pritchard, but then he broke his finger( oregon collapsed shortly thereafter) then he had surgery n returned for his final season and ends up, somehow, in the '21 lottery.

He's missed significant chunks of his first 2 NBA seasons now too. Just google his name and 'injury' and you'll see all sorts of body parts n dates come up.

But really we have excellent depth here, we dont need him to be a starter or anything he's a possible rotation guy, still something worth monitoring though. The headline here is he played great with Sabonis n they are re-united, and hes a solid defender, whos particularly menacing in the passing lanes, so if everything goes according to plan he's gonna start a lot of fast breaks for us which could be particulary crushing for opponents if our bench can make that happen, Trey Lyles was sneaky good for us defending the passing lanes for us last year so I wonder if the 2 of them can combine their powers n really cause constant disruption.
Barring any injuries, below is our 1/2 (and in some cases 3) order depth at each spot

PG: Fox/Davion
SG: Kevin/Monk
SF: Keegan/?
PF: Barnes/Sasha/Lyles
C: Domas/Neemias/Lyles

I'm of course making some assumptions here: in particular that we will be resigning Lyles, promoting Neemi to the big boys club, and bringing Sasha over. We might also sign someone with the leftover cap. In the current roster, I would assume that Kessler/Duarte will compete for the backup 3 minutes, with Cole-Slaw and Keon spending most of their time in Stockton.

Would be good to have a more proven backup 3, preferably someone who can eventually take over the starting job, as Keegan moves to the starting PF role. Keegan moving to 4 is not going to happen this year (or maybe even the next. You don't pay Barnes starter money to come off the bench unless someone really plays over their head, which would be a good problem to have). At some point, we shall need to consider it, and potentially look at trading Barnes to allow Keegan to move there.

Yep Duarte at the 4 would pretty much only be in a scenario where the other team is playing a wing "at the 4" and for my money thats scenario is more just like you have multiple 1's 2's and 3's out there with no 4's, but i guess thats semantics..

Ya gotta remember this is a player who used to be listed at 6'6 at Oregon but is now listed at 6'5", he didnt measure at the draft combine... Perhaps hes just like 6'3.5" barefoot? Though he does have decently long arms at least 6'7.

Barring any injuries, below is our 1/2 (and in some cases 3) order depth at each spot

PG: Fox/Davion
SG: Kevin/Monk
SF: Keegan/?
PF: Barnes/Sasha/Lyles
C: Domas/Neemias/Lyles

I'm of course making some assumptions here: in particular that we will be resigning Lyles, promoting Neemi to the big boys club, and bringing Sasha over. We might also sign someone with the leftover cap. In the current roster, I would assume that Kessler/Duarte will compete for the backup 3 minutes, with Cole-Slaw and Keon spending most of their time in Stockton.

Would be good to have a more proven backup 3, preferably someone who can eventually take over the starting job, as Keegan moves to the starting PF role. Keegan moving to 4 is not going to happen this year (or maybe even the next. You don't pay Barnes starter money to come off the bench unless someone really plays over their head, which would be a good problem to have). At some point, we shall need to consider it, and potentially look at trading Barnes to allow Keegan to move there.
Exactly, Barnes off the bench unless the team is a contender is a bad idea. His trade value will take a hit, just like Davions did this year with decreased minutes. The Kings really don't have a PF, they just have F's. My hope is Keegan gets a little stronger this offseason so he can start guarding closer to the rim. We saw little bits and chunks of that shot blocking ability at the rim. Also, the rebounding is going to have to come from Keegan. Barnes guarded the bigger player because of strength reasons I assume.

Yep Duarte at the 4 would pretty much only be in a scenario where the other team is playing a wing "at the 4" and for my money thats scenario is more just like you have multiple 1's 2's and 3's out there with no 4's, but i guess thats semantics..

Ya gotta remember this is a player who used to be listed at 6'6 at Oregon but is now listed at 6'5", he didnt measure at the draft combine... Perhaps hes just like 6'3.5" barefoot? Though he does have decently long arms at least 6'7.
I checked some Pacers fans opinions and some are saying his inability to even play the 3 was the issue. I guess they haven't seen what it looks like with TD playing that spot, haha.

Well how about Harrison Barnes as a backup 3? I'd say he qualifies as proven, We can start Barnes at PF, play Vezenkov heavy minutes as a backup PF and then stagger Barnes minutes between PF and SF. That seems to be the plan.

For the record I'm in the other boat, I'd prefer to try to get Keegan more time at SG rather than PF... We just got bounced out of the playoffs failing to grab rebounds in the 3rd q of game 7, the idea we take our SF and move him to PF, when we have the starting C with the shortest wingspan in the league, to me, seems like asking to have a repeat of our playoff demise.

I think we are gonna go with hot hands, and matchups. thats what we were doing in the playoffs. things will be decided naturally, we're so flexibile positionally I'm not worried about pigeon holing the depth chart down right now, things will change, n we'll be insanely lucky to stay healthy like last season again so im glad we have so many players who can cover multiple roles.

Well how about Harrison Barnes as a backup 3? I'd say he qualifies as proven, We can start Barnes at PF, play Vezenkov heavy minutes as a backup PF and then stagger Barnes minutes between PF and SF. That seems to be the plan.

For the record I'm in the other boat, I'd prefer to try to get Keegan more time at SG rather than PF... We just got bounced out of the playoffs failing to grab rebounds in the 3rd q of game 7, the idea we take our SF and move him to PF, when we have the starting C with the shortest wingspan in the league, to me, seems like asking to have a repeat of our playoff demise.

I think we are gonna go with hot hands, and matchups. thats what we were doing in the playoffs. things will be decided naturally, we're so flexibile positionally I'm not worried about pigeon holing the depth chart down right now, things will change, n we'll be insanely lucky to stay healthy like last season again so im glad we have so many players who can cover multiple roles.
I loathe the idea of Keegan having to guard SG's, it's not really fair to him. If he was iffy on staying in front of bum knees Klay at times this could just be a disaster in wait. If the Kings landed some actual defensive talent this offseason like Grant or OG going big like that could have been interesting. If they put a lineup of Keegan, Barnes, and Sasha out there then maybe you play zone but defense is clearly not the priority at that point.

You're suggesting that the two forward spots be largely manned by Keegan, HB, and Sasha.

Even assuming this works from a BB perspective, playing such heavy minutes might work in playoffs. For a long season though, you need to have more players playing heavier minutes. Else you risk wearing out/injuring your starters.

Let's see if Monte makes any moves this evening or later. As of now, seems like the backup 3 will be contested between Chris and Kessler. There is even a chance of playing Chris more at 2, and moving Kevin up to 3 at times. He's tall enough, but will be a poor defender at that position. His offense might make up for it though.

I honestly dont get this move at all. We need more players that are multidimensional not one dimensional. He's definitely a strong defender but a huge offensive liability. I think id rather spend 12-15M chasing a swiss army knife like Bruce Brown or 18-19M for Brook Lopez than this. I'm hoping there is much more to do, but i am worried that us being down to 14-15M in cap space with weaknesses in the back up center spot with better talent than duarte you could have had.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He can guard up on the perimeter - but as soon as dudes got within 15 feet of the bucket, Davion could not do much to bother their shots.
unfortunately for folk who are at or under 6 feet, basketball is meant for tall individuals, at least from a professional point of view.

I know who Duarte is and have seen him play, but admittedly haven’t seen enough nor paid attention enough to be excited or unexcited by this acquisition. I’ll just have to judge it real-time as it plays out.

I honestly dont get this move at all. We need more players that are multidimensional not one dimensional. He's definitely a strong defender but a huge offensive liability. I think id rather spend 12-15M chasing a swiss army knife like Bruce Brown or 18-19M for Brook Lopez than this. I'm hoping there is much more to do, but i am worried that us being down to 14-15M in cap space with weaknesses in the back up center spot with better talent than duarte you could have had.
What don't you get about this move? I think this move is an insurance over Mitchell. Duerte's ability to attack the basket is better than Mitchell imo. Him and Sabonis work better. Imagine instead of using Monk and Sabonis for pick n roll, now you have another option to attack the basket in pick n roll with Duerte and Sabonis.

What don't you get about this move? I think this move is an insurance over Mitchell. Duerte's ability to attack the basket is better than Mitchell imo. Him and Sabonis work better. Imagine instead of using Monk and Sabonis for pick n roll, now you have another option to attack the basket in pick n roll with Duerte and Sabonis.
He's not a Mitchell insurance I think he's just a 2-3 player we are going to have.

There's no Mitchell insurance on the roster rn imo.

It scares me a bit that we have Hueter, Monk, and Duarte, who are all starter quality players. Hopefully we can give 10 guys consistent minutes. I don't expect the draft picks to play much and Len won't play much. Keegan's minutes might drop a bit..

Fox/Hueter/Barnes/Murray/Sabonis/Mitchell/Monk/Duarte/Lyles/Sasha... On paper that's a championship team. It's going to be hard to find these 10 players consistent minutes though. It leaves us in a good place if there was an injury though. Not like the Lakers where they go 3 or 4 players deep and the rest of the team are 12th men.

We will definitely be the top scoring team again by far.
We will also be the top 3pt makes and attempts in the league and top 5 % wise for 3pt shots.
We will have the most 2pt FG by far, both makes and attempts and we will be top 5 % wise on 2pt shots.

The defensive stat I would like to see us improve on is opponent FG% and 3pt%. I couldn't care less how many points are scored against us because we are the fastest scoring team in the league by far, so the opponent will also have a lot of shot attempts. If we can be middle of the road in opponent FG% and 3pt% we will be title contenders this year.

I thought I read somewhere that this trade couldn’t be official until July 6. I have no idea the die I fix reason, but there are all sorts of applicable rules and timelines.