[Game] Bulls vs. Kings

I think our chances of winning this are better if more of those minutes would have been in the second. He came in so late after being on fire, and we struggled A LOT during that period as Cuz was having problems too. That's the stage of the game where we were running all bench guys. The second/fourth rotations are still funky.
Yeahh true, I agree.

Noah played a great game fronting Cousins early on, which frustrated him, then he started forcing it, too much dribbling and forcing things.

a few dumb plays, great defense from the Bulls, offensive rebounding and points off turns. The end.

Noah played great defense but Kings have to get Cousins the ball when he establishes position, not just give him the ball and ask him to try to score.
Last year when Cousins destroyed Noah that wasn't the game plan. He took him outside by consistently hitting the medium range jumper and then broke him down once he had to honor his shot. Cousins struggles in the low post against long athletic bigs and Noah could be the best of that bunch.

Johnson- 1-8
Brooks- 3-10
Trob- 1-5
Thornton- 5-15
Cousins with 7 TO's and in foul trouble.

I wouldn't bet on any of these guys have shooting nights like this on a consistent basis

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Cousins didn't play great at all; fouls, turnovers, and lost his poise near the end. But the Kings didn't lose the game because of Cousins. They really lost it as a team on offense. They didn't handle the ball properly, make quick passes, or move without the ball very well. They still don't know how to attack the Chicago defense. They need to keep working on it.

Cousins didn't play great at all; fouls, and lost his poise near the end. But the Kings didn't lose the game because of Cousins. They really lost it as a team on offense. They didn't handle the ball properly, make quick passes, or move without the ball very well. They still don't know how to attack the Chicago defense. They need to keep working on it.
Yea, this is what I take away from it too. Sometimes players have bad games but that doesn't mean you are out of the game as we saw tonight. If the offense has some kind of form too it we come out ahead, everyone seemed lost tonight.

I thought Cousins took himself out of the game with foul trouble. He had no rhythm and we put the ball in his hands expecting him to close the game for us? Foolish. Needed to run plays for Tyreke.

it all comes down to Smarts love for Benching the starters the entire 2nd quarter. they could have had a 10 point lead at half time if rotations were managed correctly

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Cousins didn't play great at all; fouls, turnovers, and lost his poise near the end. But the Kings didn't lose the game because of Cousins. They really lost it as a team on offense. They didn't handle the ball properly, make quick passes, or move without the ball very well. They still don't know how to attack the Chicago defense. They need to keep working on it.
Which puts them in the same boat as the rest of the league. Thankfully, we only play the Bulls one more time this season barring an unexpected trip to the finals (at which point, I'd be too elated to care). The majority of other teams in the league will not be as stingy as Thib's team

im a little encouraged that it seems like we played so poorly, minus Tyreke, yet the game came down to the final minute. i think we can still go 2-1 on this opening trip

I think Johnson needs to keep his focus on the D and the dirty work and stop shooting so much...or rather take higher higher percentage shots that fit within his skillset.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yea, this is what I take away from it too. Sometimes players have bad games but that doesn't mean you are out of the game as we saw tonight. If the offense has some kind of form too it we come out ahead, everyone seemed lost tonight.
Yeah, people look at the individuals and see poor performances, but the offense isn't done individually, it's done with very precise reads and movements and judgements that this team doesn't have right now. Then it's left only to individual spectacular play to save the day, which most of the time isn't going to happen. The Kings experienced tonight some of what the Lakers are experiencing, but to a lesser degree.

IT came out and played like crap as well.
Yep, offensively anyway. There's still many positives that we can get out of this game:

-Tyreke playing at a level he should be on both ends
- We might actually know what "team defense" is this season
- Cousins won't turn the ball over 7 times in many more games this season

Great defensive effort. Tyreke had one of his best all around games and put Deng to shame when guarding him.

Thomas had a horrible game, but I felt it was in part to Hinrich. We had no answer so we had to go to a PG by committee group.

If we put in a defensive effort like this night in and night out look for the Kings to win a while bunch of games. Opponents wont win consistently if we hold them to 41%-42%.

Overall I am impressed by the Kings D.

IT came out and played like crap as well.
Yah.. oops edit. I thought you said "played like crap as usual" lol.

I came back with a snappy comment and posted it until I re-read what you wrote..

Yah IT played like crap tonight. It wont happen every night. The Kings are going to be pretty good this year.

Yah.. oops edit. I thought you said "played like crap as usual" lol.

I came back with a snappy comment and posted it until I re-read what you wrote..

Yah IT played like crap tonight. It wont happen every night. The Kings are going to be pretty good this year.
One thing I noticed was that since Hinrich was bothering IT, they made an adjustment and had Reke handle the ball which contributed to his strong 1st quarter. Nice coaching adjustment.

One thing I noticed was that since Hinrich was bothering IT, they made an adjustment and had Reke handle the ball which contributed to his strong 1st quarter. Nice coaching adjustment.
Not sure if that was an adjustment or planned. In the preseason we saw IT and Reke both out there but with Reke handling it, worked really good then too.

One thing also: the defensive effort Reke gave tonight is something we ALL should expect from him every game. I'll be highy disappointed if he doesn't play like this every game.

B

baller13

I completely understand that tyreke will have to play some small forward this year, but he played the last 18 minutes of the the game there and that is just ridiculous. If he plays about 10 min a game at SF i have no problem with that., but he played about 23 min there tonight and that should never happen again. Marcus thornton should not be pushing tyreke to sf. Who in the f*** is Marcus thornton???? He is a bench player and should be treated as such

also why the **** is James Johnson attempting so much shots??? mother****er you aren't here for that! What a frustrating half..I feel like punching a hole through something...

Teams are going to give two people these shots game after game, Tyreke Evans and James Johnson. Hench why it might be a struggle to have Reke play SG and also why he looks better WITH the ball. Most teams spread the floor at SG/SF. In the first half they were spreading the floor with Cousins and he got almost no touches down low in the in the first half. He's a good faceup player so that's good but c'mon, I can't be the only one to see the defenses being played here.

The thing is Demarcus didn't really establish position too much tonight, just kinda stood there at the top of the key.
It's hard to when there is no room for you to. It's also hard to try to establish a post game with 5 minutes left in the game. Getting the ball in the post was the right thing to do Cousins just needs to know that going for the basket in iso isn't what's needed. They need to focus on re-establishing the post, start the offense there, don't end it there unless you have an easy hoop.

I completely understand that tyreke will have to play some small forward this year, but he played the last 18 minutes of the the game there and that is just ridiculous. If he plays about 10 min a game at SF i have no problem with that., but he played about 23 min there tonight and that should never happen again. Marcus thornton should not be pushing tyreke to sf. Who in the f*** is Marcus thornton???? He is a bench player and should be treated as such
Marcus Thornton is the guy that hit some big 3's to bring the Kings back in it, not to mention one of the few players on the team that will give a C and PG space to operate in the paint. I agree Marcus Thorton shouldn't push Reke to the 3, he should push him to the 1. You can call Tyreke whatever you want but if he's going to handle the ball up top and probe defenses that makes him a PG, not a SF!