Breaking News from CruzDude re: Sean May

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Off topic but how excited about that roster if Thomas and Beno weren't on the roster at this point. To be fair Beno may turn it around and be viable until the end of his contract (which would make him more tradeable as well), but to at least not see Thomas's name on there. *Sigh* Only one more season, or near the trade deadline.

Kings, Thomas Near Agreement on Extension
by Tisa Margana

The Sacramento Kings and power forward Kenny Thomas are nearing an agreement that would keep the seldom used star in Sacramento through the end of his career.

"We wanted to get this done now," said Kings co-owner Gavin Maloof. "Kenny has become such an institution for this team that we just could not imagine what it would be like not to have him around."

Details of the discussed deal have not been released, but it is believed to be for the maximum number of years allowable under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement.

"He deserves to finish his career here," said Maloof. "And our fans have been very vocal in his support. We're going to get this deal done."

Continues here...

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
by Tisa Margana

The Sacramento Kings and power forward Kenny Thomas are nearing an agreement that would keep the seldom used star in Sacramento through the end of his career.

"We wanted to get this done now," said Kings co-owner Gavin Maloof. "Kenny has become such an institution for this team that we just could not imagine what it be like not to have him around."

Details of the discussed deal have not been released, but it is believed to be for the maximum number of years allowable under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement.

"He deserves to finish his career here," said Maloof. "And our fans have been very vocal in his support. We're going to get this deal done."

Continues here...
Nice one Bricky! You do realize that you probably just gave a few fans a heart attack. :D

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Just one thing confuses me about this signing.

College stats
Sean May, 6'8", around 270 pounds:
17.1 pts, 56.7% FG, 0.0% 3-pt, 75.8% FT, 10.7 reb, 1.7 assists, 1.0 blk, 1.2 stl
John Bryant, 6'10", around 270 pounds
18.1 pts, 59.6% FG, 0.0 3-pt, 78.7% FT, 14.2 reb, 1.1 assists, 2.5 blk, 0.5 stl

If we really wanted a big who is fighting a weight problem, why did we only give John Bryant eight minutes of garbage time in the last Summer League game? He's a better defender than May, younger, and his knees are intact. Yet we seemed to have roughly zero interest in him.

:confused:
Its all about pedigree...:rolleyes:

I like this signing a lot because:

May(like udrich) has talent but is his last shot, he might just get it together to stay in the nba OR just for a large contract(like udrich)

Well, that's the difference between a team like the Blazers and the Kings, they are more maticulous where we're in a position to gamble on a guy like May due to us being pathetic. With a guy like May, I look at it like this...

Best Case: Antionne Carr
Worst Case: Oliver Miller

Both of the above are big guys who went different directions on their careers based on personal choices, Antionne was fat and chose the gym and became a 20 pt scorer for us after coming over in a trade for Kenny Smith...The Very Big O on the other hand chose the Winchells and never regained the potential he showed during his first 2 seasons in the PHX. Mr. May: the ball is in your court.
worst case Oliver Miller? Oliver Miller was pretty good...if he plays like Miller did at his age(13/8) id be more than happy lol

May's problems to me were always threefold: 1) constant injury problems (ties in with weight problems), 2) earthbound (poor mobility, quickness, affects defense), and 3) work ethic (ties in with inability to keep weight down, work hard on defense, stay on court). For him, work ethic is most important, because he's shown even in his super brief stints of play that he can actually play (scoring/rebounding), but he just needs to get himself motivated and in shape. But on top of all his own problems, I just don't like him for this team--while we may appreciate a low block scorer, it would preferably come in an athletic taller package rather than another earthbound undersized one (which we've seen too many of the past couple years). So even if he succeeds, not only would the word "fluke season" potentially hang over his head, we might not keep him for long because he might not gel with the team construct.

If we wanted an offensive minded undersized big that badly, we could have at least attempted to swing for Brandon Bass, Carl Landry (who may or may not be on the trade block), or Leon Powe (but injured). All can at least play D, don't have work ethic problems (rather they give their all), and don't have high maintenance the way May might have--that's why May was never in my list of en vogue undersized bigs all this time, and I really wanted us to avoid him.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

When we pass on players from major schools to draft people from Western Carolina and Rider, I don't think that Bryant's having played for the same college as Steve Nash should be a huge mark against him.

Would be a better argument if we had actually drafted May, but Charlotte did that, and not even 100% because of hsi talent, but becauseof whatever that ridiculous "we are going to draft regional players to attract fans" nonsesne was they were trying for afew years. Winning attracts fans. Not good loval college players.

In any case, here we have obviously seen May play in the NBA (briefly) and I think Geoff always prefers that to draft picks -- safer. Also, Bryant really can't move. That was the big thing that kept him from being drafted. I absolutely think we should have played him more rather than let Jason humiliate himself out there, but its not as if there was a team in the draft who didn't doubt those numbers would translate to the next level.

In any case, here we have obviously seen May play in the NBA (briefly) and I think Geoff always prefers that to draft picks -- safer.
I suppose. Geoff might look at his NBA record and feel that he has proven the ability to play at that level. I look at his NBA record and see that he was injured or out of condition so much that it took him 3 entire seasons to play in 82 games. I guess I lack Geoff's optimism about flaky knees.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I think this is a really low risk- high reward type of signing. May has battled weight and knee problems most of his young career, but the guy seems to be very motivated this off-season. Anyone who is still accusing this guy of being fat hasn't been doing their research as of late. He has lost 25 lbs and 4% bodyfat. The guy has potential. Is he someone that I would bank on helping turn this franchise around, no way, but he is worth the minimal risk of 800k.

I could see May coming in and contributing next year, not only because he does have talent, but also his career is on the line. He might completely flop, but again, it is only 800K over one season.

In terms of what our roster will look like next season, I think we will be involved in at least one more trade this summer. I don't see both Noc and Garcia being here on opening night. I'm sure there will be pressure on Westphal to get both Greene and Casspi consistent playing time to see what they can offer down the road. We still have a decent amount of room under the cap, which could help us in a potential trade. While I am not that high on signing May, I won't judge the signing until I see what our opening day roster looks like and then how May performs.

But I will say this, May had shown more as a healthy rookie before the knee problems than Ike has ever displayed as a nba player. IMO, throwing 800K at May is a better risk than throwing 2-3M at Ike.

Bricklayer

Anyone who is still accusing this guy of being fat hasn't been doing their research as of late. He has lost 25 lbs and 4% bodyfat.
However he was shubby even before he was bloated. He is a guy like Big Baby -- at his best, he has a soft body and could stand to lose 20 lbs. At his worst, he's just obese. Doubt he's ever been in top shape in his life. If he's not obese and is merely soft right now, well better for us. But it may always linger with a guy like him. Blame mom for always giving him seconds (and thirds, and fourths, and...) when he was growing up. ;)

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
However he was shubby even before he was bloated. He is a guy like Big Baby -- at his best, he has a soft body and could stand to lose 20 lbs. At his worst, he's just obese. Doubt he's ever been in top shape in his life. If he's not obese and is merely soft right now, well better for us. But it may always linger with a guy like him. Blame mom for always giving him seconds (and thirds, and fourths, and...) when he was growing up. ;)
True, and I hope he continues to drop weight and improve his conditioning. I have worked as a personal trainer previously for 5+ years, and am always impressed when I hear stories about people losing 25+lbs and dropping 4+ bodyfat% in a short period of time(2-3 months in May's case). It takes A LOT of work and discipline. That is why I am hopeful about May and the fact his renewed work ethic might carry over into next season.

A young former late lottery pick for a minimum contract? What have we got to lose? It's a good pickup. Now we need an athletic backup center

by Tisa Margana

"We wanted to get this done now," said Kings co-owner Gavin Maloof. "Kenny has become such an institution for this team that we just could not imagine what it would be like not to have him around."

Continues here...
Lol!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
When we pass on players from major schools to draft people from Western Carolina and Rider, I don't think that Bryant's having played for the same college as Steve Nash should be a huge mark against him.

Well I'm sure you know that in this instance, I was joking..However there are teams out there that appear to make their final decision on a player, based on the program he came out of. As much as N.C. is noted for producing good NBA players, Duke is noted for producing overrated players. Teams draft a player from Syracuse and wonder why he can't play defense, (Flynn excluded) when all they play there is zone.

Personally, I don't see Bryant as an NBA player. He does have some skills. He's not a bad passer and he's got an offensive game, but he's not very athletic and doesn't move well. He doesn't run the floor well.

By the way. I took in one of Oklahoma's games. Thabeet is still slow getting his butt back on transition. He was the last guy down the floor time and time again. He did make a couple of nice jumpshots though. He's a couple of years away from being anything in the NBA. Hey! Maybe in two or three years they'll lose patience and we'll pick him up just as ready to blossom.. It could happen!!

Personally, I don't see Bryant as an NBA player. He does have some skills. He's not a bad passer and he's got an offensive game, but he's not very athletic and doesn't move well. He doesn't run the floor well.
Fair enough. I just thought that, if we're considering kind of unspecial, untall, damaged bigs for our bench, that we might have taken more of a look at true bigs during SL, rather than 8 minutes of garbage time at the end of the last game. Not so much about Bryant in particular, more about just another year where we make no real effort to find a new C or PF/C.

gunks

Hall of Famer
by Tisa Margana

Continues here...
That was ****'d up. Haha

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Fair enough. I just thought that, if we're considering kind of unspecial, untall, damaged bigs for our bench, that we might have taken more of a look at true bigs during SL, rather than 8 minutes of garbage time at the end of the last game. Not so much about Bryant in particular, more about just another year where we make no real effort to find a new C or PF/C.
I agree with you. I was surprised that they didn't invite more potential centers in for a look see. I realize that they thought Spence was going to be there and take up most of the minutes, but personally I would have liked to see someone like Aminu invited. Which he may have been, and had already agreed to go with someone else. Who knows?:confused:

After spending the weekend reflecting on the May signing, this is what the Kings have really gained:

-A big-bodied, offensive minded, scoring PF for JT, Hawes, etc to practice against. Makes perfect sense to me... if the team is trying to get better defensively, they will need someone worth defending in practice who has NBA level experience, cannot be ignored, and who is big/difficult to keep out of the post.

-If May does well, the Kings have gained a nice, inexpensive role player.

-The Kings have gained another expiring contract which, as we have recently seen, is very valuable in trades.

Seems like the perfect addition to the team; the only thing the Kings lose out on is another roster spot for prospects to develop, but the Kings are up to their eyes in developing prospects at the current time.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
-The Kings have gained another expiring contract which, as we have recently seen, is very valuable in trades.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves on that count. Anybody we signed to fill out the roster was likely to be a one-year deal.

Until Geoff spends the full MLE on five guaranteed years for a backup 2-guard. ;)

I agree with you. I was surprised that they didn't invite more potential centers in for a look see. I realize that they thought Spence was going to be there and take up most of the minutes, but personally I would have liked to see someone like Aminu invited. Which he may have been, and had already agreed to go with someone else. Who knows?:confused:
I truely believe that the main reason that Spencer was asked to play is because we couldn't find anyone who wanted to play on our team. Other than our own players and draft choices, there wasn't great talent on the team. Based on what I saw & what the analysts had to say, none of the unsigned players looked like their going to make it into the NBA. Even Brockman is a question mark with his limited offensive game, until he proves he can rebound at the NBA level.

Bricklayer

I truely believe that the main reason that Spencer was asked to play is because we couldn't find anyone who wanted to play on our team. Other than our own players and draft choices, there wasn't great talent on the team. Based on what I saw & what the analysts had to say, none of the unsigned players looked like their going to make it into the NBA. Even Brockman is a question mark with his limited offensive game, until he proves he can rebound at the NBA level.
I really can't imagine why not - we are one of the best situations in the NBA for an aspiring player to try to latch onto. Full blown youth movement, and a low # of guaranteed contracts.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves on that count. Anybody we signed to fill out the roster was likely to be a one-year deal.

Until Geoff spends the full MLE on five guaranteed years for a backup 2-guard. ;)
Now you're just creepin' us out!

I agree though, $750K, one year contracts are extremely common, and not really useful as enders unless you happen to be a tiny bit short of a legal trade. He's just as likely to end up getting waived to make room for incoming players in a trade, assuming we're lucky enough to unload Beno, or something like that.

I really can't imagine why not - we are one of the best situations in the NBA for an aspiring player to try to latch onto. Full blown youth movement, and a low # of guaranteed contracts.
Looking at the roster we assembled, who got the PT, and our history in SL, I think a more likely explanation was that we weren't really looking for new talent, but rather a chance to try to get the fans hyped about the upcoming year (and buying tickets, of course).