Bid too low and other latest news, rumors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would a headline in San Antonio be? SACRAMENTO TALK SHOW HOST HERE TO PROMOTE KINGS STAYING or sACTO TALK HOST HERE - KEEP KINGS IN TOWN. Who's paying his way?

Sounds like a plus and will add to the important work being done by CROWNDOWNTOWN at civic events and Kings games.

I love Dave, think he has done a tremendous job, but as much as I think he believes this will help I think he is doing this more for his career than for the Kings. Which, BTW, there is nothing wrong with that. He is doing a documentary on this trip, which will be a very cool thing to edit and show if we keep the kings.

I don't see the point. It's not that it's a bad idea, but I don't think it's the best idea either. Going from city to city to rally support from NBA fans? Why? Say a few hundred fans show up to the bus/van in SLC, and you educate them on our struggle and what Sac is doing. What good exactly does that do? So maybe a few hundred fans in each city become educated. What impact exactly is that supposed to make? Is there another idea that might make more of an impact? Probably.

And, it doesn't seem very well thought out. Tonight at 8 they leave for Oakland. I'm in the Bay Area, maybe I'd stop by. Yet, there's no info on the Oakland stop. They leave tonight for Oakland, yet they haven't even provided information on the first stop? All it says is details coming soon. Are they just going to show up at a GS game for a couple hours with little warning, then move on? Hope to talk to a couple hundred fans? Then off to LA?

A criticism which has followed Dave is he lacks advanced timing. He's slow and behind the ball in letting people know what he's doing. There were events the last couple years where he doesn't put the info out until the day of, on twitter, then expects a large group to show up. And its been brought to his attention, that people would show up if they knew ahead of time and had advanced warning. Yet, this seems like another example of a not too well thought out plan with little warning ahead of time.

Don't even have info on the first stop which they leave for eight hours from now. I'm struggling to see what impact this is supposed to have. Sounds cool in theory, but as Warhawk said, is this the best use of resources? I doubt it.
I assume it's more of a PR move than anything. Create some buzz and maybe get an owner that was on the fence to favor Sac. I am not toally sure though because I figured that if we had that arena deal and a matching offer we would get the votes anyway. So who knows.

I love Dave, think he has done a tremendous job, but as much as I think he believes this will help I think he is doing this more for his career than for the Kings. Which, BTW, there is nothing wrong with that. He is doing a documentary on this trip, which will be a very cool thing to edit and show if we keep the kings.
Or this. If it's self promotion then I am all for it. Anything that is positive PR towards Sac is a good thing, and if it gets CD's career a kickstart then I am all for it. CD has always been a straight shooter.

I don't see the point. It's not that it's a bad idea, but I don't think it's the best idea either. Going from city to city to rally support from NBA fans? Why? Say a few hundred fans show up to the bus/van in SLC, and you educate them on our struggle and what Sac is doing. What good exactly does that do? So maybe a few hundred fans in each city become educated. What impact exactly is that supposed to make? Is there another idea that might make more of an impact? Probably.

And, it doesn't seem very well thought out. Tonight at 8 they leave for Oakland. I'm in the Bay Area, maybe I'd stop by. Yet, there's no info on the Oakland stop. They leave tonight for Oakland, yet they haven't even provided information on the first stop? All it says is details coming soon. Are they just going to show up at a GS game for a couple hours with little warning, then move on? Hope to talk to a couple hundred fans? Then off to LA?

A criticism which has followed Dave is he lacks advanced timing. He's slow and behind the ball in letting people know what he's doing. There were events the last couple years where he doesn't put the info out until the day of, on twitter, then expects a large group to show up. And its been brought to his attention, that people would show up if they knew ahead of time and had advanced warning. Yet, this seems like another example of a not too well thought out plan with little warning ahead of time.

Don't even have info on the first stop which they leave for eight hours from now. I'm struggling to see what impact this is supposed to have. Sounds cool in theory, but as Warhawk said, is this the best use of resources? I doubt it.
I'm not sure if it's the target market is the few fans they meet at the game but the opportunity to get on local media and have the story aired. I thought that it was indicated that they had some local (in other cities) already lined up. A network affiliate here can help line up the local affiliate there. He was very careful in praising ALL the networks for their coverage for this trip, which was a change in tone from some of the earlier stuff he was putting out about local Kings coverage.

As a side note, as far as resources go, it doesn't hurt that your local corporate sponsors provided a lot of the start up money. Just another example of how the market may respond with different owners.

IF the problem is that at the national level most NBA fans, and even owners are not fully aware of the story on the ground in Sacramento, then the answer might well be o create nationwide coverage one team at a time.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
From the website:

7:30PM – Sacramento City Council Meeting, City Hall
8:00PM – We are hitting the road to Oakland! (Details coming soon!)
Um, Dave, you weren't there. The City Council meeting got out around 7:20 pm and you were still at STA tweeting photos. Not a good foot to start off on! Lots of Crown downtown folks wanted to sign the vehicle before you left but you never showed.

From the website:

Um, Dave, you weren't there. The City Council meeting got out around 7:20 pm and you were still at STA tweeting photos. Not a good foot to start off on! Lots of Crown downtown folks wanted to sign the vehicle before you left but you never showed.
Dude this nit picky Dave hate sounds petty. It's also unhelpful. In case you weren't aware, Dave is a free man.

Warhawk

Staff member
Dude this nit picky Dave hate sounds petty. It's also unhelpful. In case you weren't aware, Dave is a free man.
We had 25-30 folks wanting to sign the vehicle before he left. I WANT HIM TO SUCCEED. But this kind of stuff just doesn't bode well for a successful trip.

We had 25-30 folks wanting to sign the vehicle before he left. I WANT HIM TO SUCCEED. But this kind of stuff just doesn't bode well for a successful trip.
Sending him a personal message rather than posting his perceived blunder on a message board is more reflective of an attitude of wanting him to succeed. All the sudden your his trip manager with full knowledge of his strategy? Shut your engine down.

Warhawk

Staff member
I look back on some of the posts today and realize that I may be coming off as a lot more critical of Dave than I should.

I really want him to succeed. I really do. I just don't think (personally) that what he is doing is really going to be all that helpful and that when you can't even get out of your own town on schedule it doesn't seem to be an auspicious start. I think my passion for the local support of a downtown arena (which everyone, including Dave, has said is THE key to keeping the team) is seeping out in a non-positive way towards Dave's efforts (while he marches to his own drumbeat).

I apologize.

Hate? Sorry, I don't see that.
I just see a comment stating that they are already not following their schedule. That's disappointing, especially if there was a group waiting to sign the vehicle.
Screw sending him a "private message". This is a kings "discussion" forum. If dave and his crew are already blowing off their schedule then thats their own fault. They're doing themselves a disservice. Not the person voicing the complaint.

Sometimes it really seems true that no good deed goes unpunished. I do not really like CD's style and don't listen to his show. I have thought he was a bit of a grandstander in the past. But now... now he is putting his time and money where his mouth is and I'm so glad to have him on our side. As far as I'm concerned, the more Sac fans can differentiate ourselves from the Sonics fans back when they left Seattle, the better. So we should dispense with the snarky classless twitter wars with Seattle fans and journalists, and just go berzerk supporting our team. Dave is doing that so as far as I'm concerned, GOD BLESS HIM AND HIS CRAZY BUS TOUR!!!! Mike and his gang can hold down the home court.

Thanks CD!!! I'm not gonna try to tell you how you should channel your passion.

Hate? Sorry, I don't see that.
I just see a comment stating that they are already not following their schedule. That's disappointing, especially if there was a group waiting to sign the vehicle.
Screw sending him a "private message". This is a kings "discussion" forum. If dave and his crew are already blowing off their schedule then thats their own fault. They're doing themselves a disservice. Not the person voicing the complaint.

You also sound petty.

Hopefully Dave isn't followed around by too many other nags and finger waggers when he misses his own appointments. What an annoyance that would be.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think we're all getting away from the real topic... It's about getting a new arena and keeping our Kings. In all honesty, I don't care who does what and when if it helps the cause. All this other stuff is just distracting from the goal and giving the Seattle folks more ammunition to use in their perpetual Twitter wars against anyone stepping up in favor of the Kings.

Can't we all just get along?

Status
Not open for further replies.