Bid too low and other latest news, rumors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

G-League
Hey guys quick noob question.
When does the sale of the kings go to Burke/Mastrov?

After the BOG meeting, or at the end of the season?

Will the maloofs make all decisions of team personal changes until the season is over? Thanks

-Jay
The Kings play their last game on the 17 and the Board of Governors meets on the 18 and the 19. How long it will take for the league to approve the sale to Mastrov is any interesting question. We just have to take it one step at a time right now. And there shouldn't be too many personal changes until the years over now considering we past the trade dealine and we're about a month away from the year being over.

Nothing positive about anything Stern said. KJ promised a "competitive offer" but Stern said it is not even close to what they want.

I am thinking it is in the $350 million range which is how much he was reported to have a month or two ago. They probably want around $425 million. These are my assumptions.

I'm really confused and disconcerted by this. Did Mastrov/Burkle/KJ really think a low bid was going to get this done?!?! Mind boggling!

pres conference happening right now at Oracle Arena in Oakland.

says he expects a competitive bid to be made, but right now our bid is not even comparable to the Seattle bid
Truth be told I'm mildly surprised at this development.

Perhaps part of the strategy. Make it look like you've made an effort to come up from your initial offering.

Still, this is no indication that M/B aren't absolutely serious. Hansen still can't ever counter.

Maybe this is part of the plan to make it look like Stern wasn't guiding the Mastrov missile from the beginning. Now that I think about it, it would have looked suspicious if M/B had come in right at like 1 mil over the Hansen bid.

There may be a non-disclosure stipulation in the Hansen bid that prevents Stern from saying "hey, just come in at 'wink-wink' around this price."

Bottom line, this little presser tells me the ****ers are gaming each other to the max!

EDIT: Ok, now re-thinking... still confused actually... can't think of why they wouldn't just come right in with a bid that would get it done? Brick... say something smart here.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'm alarmed. After all this faith I had that they wouldn't screw up the bid, they screw up the bid. Yes, Stern is looking out for us but what if there is no more money? Either Burkle needs to come up with something unless there is a conflict of interest or they better get on the phone and call the Philippines.

I see nothing clever about this and I don't have a clue why bidding $1 mil over H/B would look suspicious. If you know the amount you have to beat, beat it! After all this work, this is a screw up.

Last edited:
Really frustrated by this. This was a concern from the start and with all the "kj and the whales know what to offer a wont screw this up" discussion, I've always been concerned that Mastrov and burkle wouldn't be willing to overpay too much for a team in sac. I know we are going to try and spin this as some secret stern plot but this is a very bad development.

Really frustrated by this. This was a concern from the start and with all the "kj and the whales know what to offer a wont screw this up" discussion, I've always been concerned that Mastrov and burkle wouldn't be willing to overpay too much for a team in sac. I know we are going to try and spin this as some secret stern plot but this is a very bad development.
The fact that Stern is NOT closing the door on us, and seems to be strongly encouraging us to bid higher says to me we have a GOOD shot if M/B increase the numbers. So, I am not down about this. Yet. Even Stern seems pretty sure the bid will increase to where it needs to be.

Mildly disappointing, but let's not completely freak out. As people have said and as Carmichael Dave is tweeting, Stern didn't have to say any of that. If he wanted to screw us, he could have avoided addressing that dollars and just let our bid fail.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If the bid from Seattle included the arena deal, then our first bid would of necessity be much lower since the arena deal isn't formalized as yet. Make any sense?

Very concerning... unless there is some strategy I am not seeing, our whales don't look like they are in it to win it - the fans deserve more

and I don't think there is a way to positively spin this

Last edited:
If the bid from Seattle included the arena deal, then our first bid would of necessity be much lower since the arena deal isn't formalized as yet. Make any sense?
Although this makes perfect sense, I can't find anyone reporting that this is the case.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
The commissioner declined to say how far short the Sacramento bid fell of the reported $341 million Seattle offer for a 65 percent share of the team. But Stern said he has been in contact with the Sacramento group, led by 24 Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov and Southern California billionaire Ron Burkle, and said he believes the Sacramento group will increase its bid in the coming weeks.

"The counter bid has got very strong financial people behind it, but it is not quite there in comparison to the Seattle bid," Stern said. "There is a substantial variance."

He said he did tell current Kings' minority owner John Kehriotis to "go for it," if Kehriotis feels he can mount a competitive bid.

The commissioner, in town to visit with Warriors officials, said Mastrov is at the game as well tonight, and he plans to chat with Mastrov. Stern said the Mastrov bid will have to increase "by dollar amounts" for the NBA to consider it seriously as an alternative to the Seattle deal.
So the bid wasn't enough for the NBA to consider it seriously? That is surprising.

And if Stern told Kehriotis to go for it, Mastrov's bid seems as it isn't even in the ballpark.

Very disappointing. Only encouraging thing about this is that Stern appears to want us to make a comparable bid. But then again, we kind of knew that. Disappointing that the offer isn't a legitimate one. Let's hope they get their act together and make a serious offer. It would suck to lose the team over a "few" million dollars.

gunks

Hall of Famer
The BOG isnt going to force fellow owners (even ones as awful as the family Magoof) to take a smaller offer. All we had to do was match and this would have been in the bag. We needed sharks, not whales!

Still time to fix this....But this is a discouraging development.

I'd rather have Stern say that Sac "preliminary bid" falls short of Seattle bid NOW and not have final bid get rejected flat at BoG meeting. This still gives Sacramento shot to up their bid so they have what it takes to win in the end. Still, this development can't be see as anything but disappointing as Mastrov plus Mayor KJ had Seattle bid in hand and you'd think would have crossed every T and dotted every I - well in advance.

The BOG isnt going to force fellow owners (even ones as awful as the family Magoof) to take a smaller offer. All we had to do was match and this would have been in the bag. We needed sharks, not whales!

Still time to fix this....But this is a discouraging development.

Highly disagree. If Seattles bid is exorbitant and not market value, our whales shouldn't be forced to match or beat it to keep this team, nor should there be a precedent of cities losing their teams because wealthy outsiders overbid for the teams and move them.

With that being said it is disturbing that the offer isn't even competitive, because other owners certainly won't void this Seattle bid if the offer isn't even in the ballpark

gunks

Hall of Famer
It almost seems a Sac ownership group would have to grossly overpay.
No more than Seattle. Hansen/Balmer set the price. I knew that offer was weaksauce...What was it, 40 million less then Seattle? There isnt anything remotely competitive about coming so low. KJ and Co might have overestimated Stern/BOG's good will.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Highly disagree. If Seattles bid is exorbitant and not market value, our whales shouldn't be forced to match or beat it to keep this team, nor should there be a precedent of cities losing their teams because wealthy outsiders overbid for the teams and move them.

With that being said it is disturbing that the offer isn't even competitive, because other owners certainly won't void this Seattle bid if the offer isn't even in the ballpark
Seattle bid set the market value. It also increased the value of every other franchise in the NBA. Why would the BOG **** themselves over just to help out little old Sac?

KJ and friends need to step it up.

It almost seems a Sac ownership group would have to grossly overpay.
This is what concerns me. I have a hard time believing after all this time strategizing between KJ, Mastrov, Burkle and investors that the bid would come up significantly short. Something isnt adding up.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Just guessing here but I suspect the Mastov offer was based on market value in Sac with the idea that the BOG may simply disregard the numbers when considering the move. Stern has now made it clear the two issues are inextricably linked. The good news is that he has also made it clear what the local guys need to do to keep the team. The man has left KJ and company a treasure map now they just need to follow it.

really bad news, i think stern may be trying to turn kjs PR the other way.why else would say in a press conference that the sacramento bid was not competitive. he could have said that behind closed doors, i dunno i pray im wrong and mastrov comes back stronger but i dunno anymore, after being so confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.