Ben McLemore

We all like Malachi and we all like the thought, that the Kings will add another quality guard in Bogdanovic next season. The problem is, that Malachi hasnt exactly set the World on fire in his brief minutes and Bogdanovic hasnt even set foot on an Nba court. Why not wait until we claim, that they are the solution moving forward. Everybody is talking about the so called culture change. Well isnt it part of the culture change, that players actually need to earn minutes? If this is the case maybe we should wait, how Malachi and Bogdanovic actually develop before we ship Ben out for a bag of chips.
garrett temple.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We all like Malachi and we all like the thought, that the Kings will add another quality guard in Bogdanovic next season. The problem is, that Malachi hasnt exactly set the World on fire in his brief minutes..
Small sample size, but then again so is Ben's 5 game run in a 270 game NBA career:

2016-17 Per 36
McLemore 13.3pts (.411 .337 .763) 3.0reb 1.7ast 1.1stl 0.2blk 1.6TO
Richardson 15.6pts (.434 .333 .750) 3.3reb 2.1ast 0.7stl 0.3blk 1.7TO

Just sayin'.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think it's time for the Kings and Ben to part company. At some point, you have to say enough is enough. Ben's biggest problem has always been consistency, or lack thereof. From time to time he has a big game that shows the potential that's there, and then, he disappears again. He's been a giant tease ever since he's been here. Ben's biggest problem is between his ears. He misses a couple of shots, loses confidence and then passes up shots. His defense goes from really good at times, to what the hell were you thinking at times.

My hope is that he continues this solid run he's been having, and a team desperate for shooting takes notice and overpay's for him in a trade. There's no doubt that when he's on a roll, he looks like the second coming of Ray Allen. Now we just need to convince another team that he is.

Let Ben ride out this streak to attempt to give him confidence (again). He had a good game, an ok game, a poor game, another good game and yesterday's great game. If he can at least manage good or ok games consistently, he ought to get more evaluation time (PT). His last 3pt attempt of the night was an airball yesterday about 2 feet short with the pressure on :( unfortunately. Many folks are likely correct, its a mental thing for him. He probably is thinking too much into it. I'd always wished he took on a Baron Davis type killer-mindset, but then again he will never have Davis' dribbling ability.

What kind of return would we expect to get for Ben anyways?
This is why you ride the current streak to see; if there is some small chance for one of these upticks to stick some, it's worth the smallish trade return some are proposing. McClemore is my current most disappointing Kings player although I hold-out a smidgen of hope that he takes shape, but I have alot of doubt.

This is why you ride the current streak to see; if there is some small chance for one of these upticks to stick some, it's worth the smallish trade return some are proposing. McClemore is my current most disappointing Kings player although I hold-out a smidgen of hope that he takes shape, but I have alot of doubt.
At some point you have to make a decision and stick with it. We as a franchise cannot sit on the fence any longer. We have had almost 4 full seasons to make a call. If final couple of months is going to make or break that decision for us, then we as a franchise are in a whole world of trouble.

With Temple and Richardson (with more development over this season and the offseason and another training camp) plus Bogdanović in the wings, we are 3 deep at that position. We need to address other areas with that roster spot and the money it would take to re-sign McLemore. Keep in mind that he reportedly rejected 3 year $12 million extension in the offseason season. There is no way in hell I would be paying him any more than that no matter what he does in the offseason. I would rather spend that money addressing the PG, SF and PF positions.

While Malachi and Bogdan might be able to steal some minutes at SF, it is NOT a long term solution.

At some point you have to make a decision and stick with it. We as a franchise cannot sit on the fence any longer. We have had almost 4 full seasons to make a call. If final couple of months is going to make or break that decision for us, then we as a franchise are in a whole world of trouble.

With Temple and Richardson (with more development over this season and the offseason and another training camp) plus Bogdanović in the wings, we are 3 deep at that position. We need to address other areas with that roster spot and the money it would take to re-sign McLemore. Keep in mind that he reportedly rejected 3 year $12 million extension in the offseason season. There is no way in hell I would be paying him any more than that no matter what he does in the offseason. I would rather spend that money addressing the PG, SF and PF positions.

While Malachi and Bogdan might be able to steal some minutes at SF, it is NOT a long term solution.
Yes at some point.....the franchise will need to make a decision - doesn't have to be now, but who knows. McClemore at least has a large amount of NBA playing experience compared with the other prospects. Coaching has decided to give it a whirl. At this point, the Kings need players (plural) to step up consistently in scoring right now (this season) - whether Collison, Cauley Stein, McClemore, Tolliver......signing-wise, with the new Collective Bargaining, all players have $$ in their eyes - of course with Cousins possibly in-line for $35 million/year+, Kings Free Agents are thinking a quarter of that sounds reasonable now.....its the new pay-scale.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am just saying if you talking about next year and the plan, at this point is hard to to know if he will be here or not until it is confirmed. I agree with KingsFanGer. As of now are our SG are Richardson, Temple and McLemore.

And all NBA guys know each other. All GMS know every player to some extent.
I think Vlade knows. :)

Man, this thread. Same story, different year. Every year, the next guy we draft, the next FA we bring in, we just KNOW he's going to be better than Ben. And for some reason, they never are.

Apply Occam's razor. It's very simple. A true SG on this team as constructed is never going to be able to get into an offensive rythm taking 5 shots a game sporadically. Be aggressive? How'd that work out for Anderson and Bellineli? They were forcing it just to be relevant. The constant has been that SG's don't excel with Cousins on the floor. So maybe the issue isn't Ben.

Can't wait for him to be traded or cut. I'm extremely curious who the next scapegoat is going to be.

Bricklayer

Man, this thread. Same story, different year. Every year, the next guy we draft, the next FA we bring in, we just KNOW he's going to be better than Ben. And for some reason, they never are.

Apply Occam's razor. It's very simple. A true SG on this team as constructed is never going to be able to get into an offensive rythm taking 5 shots a game sporadically. Be aggressive? How'd that work out for Anderson and Bellineli? They were forcing it just to be relevant. The constant has been that SG's don't excel with Cousins on the floor. So maybe the issue isn't Ben.

Can't wait for him to be traded or cut. I'm extremely curious who the next scapegoat is going to be.
The issue is and has always been Ben.

Ben has been utter crap, of the scrape from the bottom of your shoes variety.

So has every other person that has auditioned for the job. Not a single one of them has gone on to be a starter anywhere else. Crap and crap and crap from a franchise that for the longest time SG was about the only position we understood. The Ben saga has actually been a nice encapsulation of our dumpster fire the last 4 years. If you are the franchise that not only drafts ben McLemore over Giannis Antetokuonmpo, but then somehow can't figure out how to acquire anybody reliably better for the next 3 years...you must be the Sacramento Kangz. There can be no other explanation. You could go down to the local bingo parlor and find dozens of people who could accomplish that task.

Since Vlade took over things have changed a bit though. He wanted/tried to get the right guys in here going after Matthews and Courtney Lee, and jsut got rejected. he drafted/acquired rights to Malachi and Bogdan, who both offer potentially brighter futures.

The beautiful thing with Rfa is that we would be able to see what Bens market value is and make our decision from there. No I wouldn't pay him a lot of money to keep him in SAC. But who knows if we could maybe keep him for a bargain?
Ben in a bargain deal would be a welcomed insurence for the case that Bogdanovic isnt the player we all hope he is. After all other highly praised european players went to the NBA and didnt meet the expectations. Bjelica, Mirotic, Rodriguez all were highly successful in Europa. Rodriguez lost his starting spot to To Mcconnell. Bjelica ist bench player for the Wolves. And Mirotic was out of the Bulls rotation not long ago.
And even if Bogdanovic Pans out Ben on a bargain deal would be a trade asset.

The beautiful thing with Rfa is that we would be able to see what Bens market value is and make our decision from there. No I wouldn't pay him a lot of money to keep him in SAC. But who knows if we could maybe keep him for a bargain?
Ben in a bargain deal would be a welcomed insurence for the case that Bogdanovic isnt the player we all hope he is. After all other highly praised european players went to the NBA and didnt meet the expectations. Bjelica, Mirotic, Rodriguez all were highly successful in Europa. Rodriguez lost his starting spot to To Mcconnell. Bjelica ist bench player for the Wolves. And Mirotic was out of the Bulls rotation not long ago.
And even if Bogdanovic Pans out Ben on a bargain deal would be a trade asset.
The problem is that McLemore's qualifying offer is $5,375,910 which is more than what we were reportedly prepared to pay him with the extension per season. Hell, I am not sure we even table to QO to him to make him a RFA.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I would hope so but with this FO you never know
It's already been pointed out that Vlade KNOWS Serbian players, Serbian coaches, etc. You need to let go of your Vlade hate long enough to at least acknowledge the very real possibility that Vlade took the likelihood of Bogdanovic coming to the NBA into consideration.

K

KingsFan80

It's already been pointed out that Vlade KNOWS Serbian players, Serbian coaches, etc. You need to let go of your Vlade hate long enough to at least acknowledge the very real possibility that Vlade took the likelihood of Bogdanovic coming to the NBA into consideration.
Nobody truly knows anyone and professional basketball players change their mind every day. Vlade doesn't 100% know anything. Check out DeAndre Jordan and the Mavs a couple years ago. If Bogdanovic verbally said he is coming next year, then I hope he does because if not we are screwed as it sounds like last year's draft was centered around acquiring him.

Nobody truly knows anyone and professional basketball players change their mind every day. Vlade doesn't 100% know anything. Check out DeAndre Jordan and the Mavs a couple years ago. If Bogdanovic verbally said he is coming next year, then I hope he does because if not we are screwed as it sounds like last year's draft was centered around acquiring him.
Pretty far fetched conclusion to draw. The trade was about maximizing the asset because the player that was there, you weren't particularly thrilled about. Any time you can slide down 5 spots end get two extra 1st rounders on top, plus a 2nd rounder, you have to consider it unless you are absolutely in love with the player available at your pick. it just happens to be a bonus that one of those 1st rounders is one of the best guards in Europe and his contract expires just as you were planning on not having a first round pick next year. Claiming that the draft was centered around getting him is getting beyond ridiculous.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow. Arguing with you any further about this would be akin to trying to teach calculus to my cat. Have a good evening.

The problem is that McLemore's qualifying offer is $5,375,910 which is more than what we were reportedly prepared to pay him with the extension per season. Hell, I am not sure we even table to QO to him to make him a RFA.
Well his QO would only be 1 year and not long-term. How much were the Kings planning to offer? After an Ben-type year, Jeremy Lamb received 3years $21m. I could see why he would turn down a 3 year under $5 deal.

Well his QO would only be 1 year and not long-term. How much were the Kings planning to offer? After an Ben-type year, Jeremy Lamb received 3years $21m. I could see why he would turn down a 3 year under $5 deal.
And I could see why the Kings wouldn't want to offer him more.

Bricklayer

You're arguing just to argue.

Ben just turned 24 years old, yesterday.

He would just be 2 years out of college, had he stayed in school.

There are a lot of players that take a few years to make a consistent contribution to an NBA team.

He is starting to produce, I think it would be a huge mistake to give up and trade him now.

If he puts it all together, he could become a very solid NBA player very soon. :)

If we plan on trading Ben and/or Collison, now is the time
It would have to be a guard with Lawson out.....they're hanging around and lurking, and so I doubt it. The team still has an outside shot with 3 HH Nuggets coming up in the next 11. They are in the midst of an uptick in results.

Well that sure sounds like a lot. But take into account, that a guy like Gerald Henderson is signed for 2 years 18 million. Galloway got 2 years 10-12 million. Wayne Ellington 2 years 12 million. Crawford is signed for 3 years 42 million. Wes Johnson for 3 years 18 million. Bayless for 3 years 27 million. Our very own Afflalo for 2 years 24 million. That's a lot of money for average NBA players. Teams are desperate for guys able to shoot 3's.
It is possible, that some D-League guy could do the things Ben does for a friction of the money. Of course it is. Are we the franchise known for finding those quality players? No - we are not the Spurs.
The 2017 FA class is not very rich in the SG department and most of the better FA's are restricted. This most likely means, that Ben will have some market value. How much value remains to be seen. We can't afford to overpay, because we want him on a tradeable contract. But to me there is no reason, why we shouldn't at least try to keep him.
Just hoping for Bogdanovic is a very risky move. If Afflalo can play some SF minutes so can Malachi. So even if we keep Ben I don't worry too much about a logjam at the SG position. When one of the new guys actually beats Ben for minutes, it's time to make a trade.

Ben just turned 24 years old, yesterday.

He would just be 2 years out of college, had he stayed in school.

There are a lot of players that take a few years to make a consistent contribution to an NBA team.

He is starting to produce, I think it would be a huge mistake to give up and trade him now.

If he puts it all together, he could become a very solid NBA player very soon. :)
If we plan on trading Ben and/or Collison, now is the time

What? We shouldn't trade Ben, then in the very next post we should trade him now.