ASW: Day 2 meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koula Gianulias ‏ @koula_g

Maloofs ditch media...leave mtg from a back door

Rob McAllister ‏ @Rob_McAllister

Gavin Maloof just told me "Ware not there yet" The three brothers were on a walk by themselves near pool.

nickmonacelli ‏ @nickmonacelli

#news10 Arena talks are done for the night. @KJ_MayorJohnson just told us there's good progress and they'll meet again tomorrow with Stern.

Dale Kasler ‏ @dakasler

Talks over for tonight. Geo Maloof: "It's been productive but there are some big issues."

Scott Howard-Cooper ‏ @SHowardCooper

Johnson: "I'm really excited with where we are." Asked if the process took a step forward today/tonight, he said, "Absolutely."

Ryan Lillis ‏ @Ryan_Lillis

#NBAKings #arena talks over for the night. @KJ_MayorJohnson says there's a gap between Maloofs and city, but not "insurmountable."

Bryan May ‏ @BMayNews10

@KJ_MayorJohnson "we made real progress today and took steps forward." KJ admitted there is a gap in $ city wants vs. $ Maloofs want to pay

Everyone, including David Stern, have rearranged schedules tomorrow to continue meetings.

::sigh::

Get to do this all over again, tomorrow. =/

Last edited:
nickmonacelli ‏ @nickmonacelli

#news10 Arena talks are done for the night. @KJ_MayorJohnson just told us there's good progress and they'll meet again tomorrow with Stern.

Dale Kasler ‏ @dakasler

Talks over for tonight. Geo Maloof: "It's been productive but there are some big issues."

Scott Howard-Cooper ‏ @SHowardCooper

Johnson: "I'm really excited with where we are." Asked if the process took a step forward today/tonight, he said, "Absolutely."

Ryan Lillis ‏ @Ryan_Lillis

#NBAKings #arena talks over for the night. @KJ_MayorJohnson says there's a gap between Maloofs and city, but not "insurmountable."

Bryan May ‏ @BMayNews10

@KJ_MayorJohnson "we made real progress today and took steps forward." KJ admitted there is a gap in $ city wants vs. $ Maloofs want to pay

::sigh::

Get to do this all over again, tomorrow. =/
Sooo...when George says there's still big issues, he means Maloof issues, right??

Edit: So George is hardline lowballing with the NBA/Sacramento on behalf of his family?

Last edited:
Sooo...when George says there's still big issues, he means Maloof issues, right??

Edit: So George is hardline lowballing with the NBA/Sacramento on behalf of his family?
Yes a maloof issue because they want to lowball as much as possible before they sell, What does a business do when they know they have to sell off an asset? Scream its not for sale of course.

It doesn't surprise me at all that the Maloofs/George are/is negotiating the amount of their contribution towards the arena. Every business person negotiates. We're talking big bucks here. If they can negotiate a sizable 'discount' for their favor they're going to do it. I never expected the Maloofs to arrive in town and ask:"OK NBA and KJ, now what's our total for the arena? Oh OK, well here's the check."

When the meeting first started KJ asked the three Maloof brothers if they want to stay in Sacramento before the heavy negotiating started. All three said YES. It was unanimous. I predict that tomorrow the negotiating will be over and all sides will be happy campers and this part of the deal will be finalized.

Go Kings!

It doesn't surprise me at all that the Maloofs/George are/is negotiating the amount of their contribution towards the arena. Every business person negotiates. We're talking big bucks here. If they can negotiate a sizable 'discount' for their favor they're going to do it. I never expected the Maloofs to arrive in town and ask:"OK NBA and KJ, now what's our total for the arena? Oh OK, well here's the check."

When the meeting first started KJ asked the three Maloof brothers if they want to stay in Sacramento before the heavy negotiating started. All three said YES. It was unanimous. I predict that tomorrow the negotiating will be over and all sides will be happy campers and this part of the deal will be finalized.

Go Kings!
I'm not sure I actually believe George said yes, or if he did that he actually meant it and didn't just say it so Stern wouldn't get rid of him. The guy is a weasel IMO.

I'm not sure I actually believe George said yes, or if he did that he actually meant it and didn't just say it so Stern wouldn't get rid of him. The guy is a weasel IMO.
He looks like a weasel to us, but he looks like a fighter to Anaheim.

What that does for Joe and Gavin is a little public image repair. They can come out looking like the guys on Sacto's side.

What it does for George is strengthen business ties with his Anaheim connections. Each Maloof has their own ends here. To be honest though I don't really know what George's motivations are, other than that I think he was the guy behind the whole Anaheim push in the first place.

Even at 100 mil up front (rent free later?) and a refinanced city loan, that is a HELL of a deal to get a new arena. Ticket prices, luxury boxes... it's still a win at that price for the Maloofs. They couldn't have dreamed they'd get a better deal... and they'll likely haggle it down to 75 or so.

Is it wrong to hope that Maloofs bulk at the contribution they need to make, Stern and the NBA think its fair and force them to sell the team?!

I am finding myself having this hope!

NBA has negotiated on behalf of the Maloofs for all this time and they obviously think that what we are asking for is fair. Maloofs or should that be a particular Maloof doesn't agree. NBA has always said they would like to keep the team in Sacramento and this is their chance to exert their power.

If Maloofs cannot contribute and at the same time cannot afford to put a winner on the court, then NBA should force them to sell in the same manner they did with Shinn and New Orleans.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Is it wrong to hope that Maloofs bulk at the contribution they need to make, Stern and the NBA think its fair and force them to sell the team?!

NBA has negotiated on behalf of the Maloofs for all this time and they obviously think that what we are asking for is fair. Maloofs or should that be a particular Maloof doesn't agree. NBA has always said they would like to keep the team in Sacramento and this is their chance to exert their power.

If Maloofs cannot contribute and at the same time cannot afford to put a winner on the court, then NBA should force them to sell in the same manner they did with Shinn and New Orleans.
Obviously I agree. The twist I would add is that the team would be taken from the Maloofs for not going along with what the NBA thinks is fair. It has never been a requirement that an owner put a winner on the court. :)

It's not wrong, I hope for the same thing myself. I'm just not sure it's realistic unfortunately. I would LOVE for Burkle to own the team and contribute to a new arena, spend a bunch of money on a good coach and bringing in some vets, turn this team into a title contender in 3 or 4 years, and surround Boogie, Reke, and the other guys like IT/Jimmer with the neccessary supporting cast to win multiple titles. He could do it too. I just have no idea if it's realistic or not, probably not.

It's not wrong, I hope for the same thing myself. I'm just not sure it's realistic unfortunately. I would LOVE for Burkle to own the team and contribute to a new arena, spend a bunch of money on a good coach and bringing in some vets, turn this team into a title contender in 3 or 4 years, and surround Boogie, Reke, and the other guys like IT/Jimmer with the neccessary supporting cast to win multiple titles. He could do it too. I just have no idea if it's realistic or not, probably not.
Burkle is just a guy in my story but I think the principle might have some merit....or I am talking myself into it.

The way I look at it is, NBA is obviously thinks its a fair deal because they have been negotiating with KJ all this time and felt it was good enough and time to seal the deal with the Maloofs so to speak. They, or should we say George is bulking at this. Surely if the Maloofs say no then the NBA led by Stern who has been a Sacramento ambassador for a while now and who has worked extremely hard with KJ to get this done can turn around and say, this is a good deal boys, you need to come to the party or else....

I think the fact that the relocation committee is there is a positive as well. They have been impressed with KJ and what he has pulled off so far has been nothing short of sensational. If the Maloofs don't come playing ball, then they will likely pee off a number of people on that committee. I am hoping they are dumb enough to do it but very much doubt it.

If they don't want to pony up $80-90 million for the arena up front, there is nothing stopping the NBA from imposing monstrous relocation fee and couple that with the load already on the books with Sacramento and the loan from the NBA and that would become one costly exercise for the Maloofs.

Might explain why George has his knickers in a knot.

Status
Not open for further replies.