ASW: Day 2 meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
J. Michael ‏ @jmikeNBAusat

Mayor Johnson walks out #NBA #SacKings

Johnson calls meeting "constructive" and the sides will meet "as long as we have to...we're all rearranging our schedules"

Mayor Johnson says the most positive thing today is that all 3 Maloofs want to be in Sacramento

Johnson says Maloofs recognize that Sacramento has done everything they've asked

Mayor Johnson returns to meeting. Says he and the Maloofs will keep meeting and miss the #nbaallstar game #SacKings

Mayor Johnson says the most positive thing today is that all 3 Maloofs want to be in Sacramento #NBA #SacKings

Johnson says Maloofs recognize that Sacramento has done everything they've asked #NBA #SacKings

In KJ I trust.

Rob McAllister ‏ @Rob_McAllister

Joe Maloof: We are going to sit down with the Mayor and go through all the numbers

Joe Maloof: "We are always optimistic, we are going to stay positive." Said yes about wanting to stay I'm Sacramento

George Maloof still seems leery, Gavin and Joe's demeanor reveals how they feel. (Smiling and upbeat)

Koula Gianulias ‏ @koula_g

Maloofs make run to gift shop for snacks..."we want to stay in Sacramento. Been here 14 years."

Sam Amick ‏ @sam_amick

While Kevin Johnson says Maloofs agreed "city has done its part," George Maloofs tells SI.com, "I'm not convinced yet."

Bryan May ‏ @BMayNews10

Maloof Bro's literally just came from mtg room, bought snacks & Diet Cokes and went back in. George: "still a long ways to go."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Maloof is quickly becoming public enemy #1 :mad:

Last edited:
Sam Amick ‏ @sam_amick

And despite Stern's prediction that the meeting could go all night, George Maloof says they'd be done "maybe in an hour." Stay tuned...

-----------

WTF?!?!!? :mad:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'm not terribly surprised that they want to stay in Sacramento. I will bet they are balking at having to spend money because they don't have any. This meeting may ultimately be more about if the Maloofs maintain control of the Kings than anything else. And ....... I hope they don't have the money and the NBA votes that they sell the team. Maybe Burkle can float a temporary loan to get the building built as they negotiate a price.

Fanciful thinking? Maybe. Wishful thing? You bet. Still I really wonder what the hangup is and I don't think this is the most outrageous guess.

Edit: I covered how the NBA could force them to sell above. The NBA negotiated a deal as a proxy for the Maloofs. If they don't agree with what the NBA negotiated, I think this makes them vulnerable to losing the team. It can be said that the NBA can't force them to sell but the NBA can certainly force them to go along with the deal they negotiated. If they don't have the money, bye bye.

Last edited:
George Maloof must've lied in front of Stern?
Of course George lied. He is the one who has been pushing Anaheim and dealing with Samueli on the sly. He would lie to anyone to get his way. Trouble is he out out of bullets and on the losing end. We have enough Maloofs to spare, Anaheim can have him.

Of course George lied. He is the one who has been pushing Anaheim and dealing with Samueli on the sly. He would lie to anyone to get his way. Trouble is he out out of bullets and on the losing end. We have enough Maloofs to spare, Anaheim can have him.
Yup, agreed. He can get lost as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, it seems even if the Maloofs wanted to leave at this point the NBA would say EFF YOU! to the relocation bid. As long as city council votes properly in a few weeks.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You know, at this point I really don't care what George Maloof thinks or says. I don't care if the Brothers Maloof are playing a game of "good owner/bad owner" to try and get the fans back on their side (Gavin and Joe, at least). The ONLY thing I care about is the future of the Sacramento Kings and the entertainment/sports complex that may finally be coming to fruition.

I feel good about what the mayor and David Stern have had to say, and I'm going to hold onto to those thoughts. Yes, I am Polyanna - with purple-tinted glasses, purple knit slippers (old-timers will know what I'm talking about), and my signed Vlade bobblehead for good luck.

:)

Somebody help me out. Do these guys really have the money to remain relevant as NBA Owners. The money that they are putting up is 30 years worth of rent. It sounds like a great deal!!!! I mean if they have to negotiate and haggle over 75-90 million dollars......WHAT DO THEY WANT TO PLAY RENT FREE???

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
George worries me and has worried me for awhile. Hopefully no one in that room is listening to him. Appears to be the only one there who doesn't want this to get done.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
George doesn't expect meeting to go longer than an hour, despite what Stern says
Rob McAllister (link): "Flight plans changing for Mayor and likely many media. I will be here til late afternoon Monday- meetings likely tomorrow morning."

Well, so much for that, George.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.