Are we going to acknowledge how bad Huerter has been?

Yeah from my obeservations there's certainly a lot of inconsistency outside of Fox and Sabonis.
Do we need another star quality player or can this team go a long ways with how it's cuŕrently constructed?
Maybe my memory doesn't serve me well anymore but recall all championship caliber teams not only had at least two stars but also a supporting cast that showed up nightly. Guess I don't know what to make of this musical chair slump talk.
Don'
Hmm

But in a way, isn't the supporting cast (mostly) showing up nightly? Just not all at the same time. And the games where everyone IS rolling all at once, we seem to drop 130+ with ease lol.

Like I feel mostly good about the starters +Monk/TD/Lyles right now to play decently well most nights. Davion has honestly really been the outlier of the main-stays of the rotation where he just hasn't seemed to find a groove at any point this season. Maybe defensively, but certainly not on offense.
I also like our players, big fan of Monk from the start even with his off games. I don't see a lot in the way of full games so my obeservation is loosely based.
I also think eventually Keegan will be a consistent contributor, but until then guess Brown just has to determine who's hot. Fortunately he seems to manage rotations pretty well.
It will be interesting how far this squad can go.

Kevin 100% over performed at the beginning of the season and his shooting was not sustainable at all. His numbers have come back down to earth and look more like his career percentages. Huerter has always been a good, not great shooter. He's not a pure shooter and it's why we always seem him have to take a dribble after coming off a screen, or opting for a step back despite being wide-open on the catch.

I don't think he's in a slump right now. I think it's just kinda who he is, and you have to roll through any off-shooting nights. The bright side? It's not completely killing us and we're still winning games.

Ah here we go again. Blaming Barnes lack of aggression on lack of role is just tired at this point. 4 years in a Kings uni and he goes through the same patterns every year

I may agree with you if we don't see an 8-10 game stretch every season where Barnes looks like an outstanding 20 PPG scorer that shoots 6-8 FTA/game. He's just a passive player that occasionally finds bouts of aggressive scoring and is otherwise happy to stay in a C&S spacer role. Believe me, I'd much rather the 20 PPG Barnes stick around, but he just doesn't have the instinct for it. Which is totally fine; he's an excellent player at the most rare archetype in the NBA. But stop trying to believe he's something he's not.
Two things can be true at the same time. And in this case two things are true. Obviously he could be more assertive and the team would be better served if he were. But, in light of that, do you also think the team might call a few plays for him per game? Brown acknowledged earlier this year that he almost never calls plays for HB. Why is that? You think he's shaking off all the play calls for him?

Sixth in FGA, 3rd in scoring.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
someone correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't Huerter shoots as he is coming down as opposed to at the peak of his jump? If so, it's no wonder he's having a slump.

Ah here we go again. Blaming Barnes lack of aggression on lack of role is just tired at this point. 4 years in a Kings uni and he goes through the same patterns every year

I may agree with you if we don't see an 8-10 game stretch every season where Barnes looks like an outstanding 20 PPG scorer that shoots 6-8 FTA/game. He's just a passive player that occasionally finds bouts of aggressive scoring and is otherwise happy to stay in a C&S spacer role. Believe me, I'd much rather the 20 PPG Barnes stick around, but he just doesn't have the instinct for it. Which is totally fine; he's an excellent player at the most rare archetype in the NBA. But stop trying to believe he's something he's not.
Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?????

My fear is it, the slump being a work ethic (Spencer Hawes?) issue. Hope not. He is talented and capable, so was Hawes. Tmac is another one that didn't always play to his full strengths IMO. Greg Ostertag of Sacramento era. Sheldon Williams could have been a great player but didn't. I hope Huerter is not in that league but I fear. Other day, he was a step slower and seemed disinrested and we were loosing. Took him out and the team imroved instantly. Now, the injury or nag is comletely understanable but personally, I found him lttle 'disinterested' and I would love to be proven wrong.
Did you really just put Huerter in the same discussion as Hawes, Ostergag, and Sheldon Williams???? This is an odd post.

Agreed. The point I'm making is that role guys go through ups and downs throughout a season. They aren't stars because they don't have the same consistency as a Fox/Sabonis do on a nightly basis.

What's worked so well for the Kings this year is they've kind of rotated the role guys being amazing and sucking pretty well. Huerter started the year a wesome, while HB forgot how to play basketball. Keegan had a rough Nov while Barnes got back to form. Monk struggled for like a 10-12 game stretch while Huerter/HB were playing well and now that's flipped where Monk/TD/Lyles are picking up the slack from Huerter and HB.
I've always looked at it this way. Superstars show up 90% of the time or more. Stars show up 75%-89% of the time (Fox & Sabonis are here). Starters and sixth men show up 55%-74% of the time. How consistent a player is is one of the easiest ways to distinguish how good they are.

I've always looked at it this way. Superstars show up 90% of the time or more. Stars show up 75%-89% of the time (Fox & Sabonis are here).
Maybe prior to this season, but not this season.

The individual production and team success has them in the 90% group.

I mean, what else are you looking for? Swipa is dominating Q4 and clutch scoring while putting up near career numbers while Domas is leading league in rebounding and setting franchise records in double and triple doubles.

Fox just outlasted a team with 2-3 future HOF’s in one of the most classic regular season games ever played.

AND the team is 3rd in conference and has been there for quite some time.

C’mon now.

The thing is, all shooters slump from time to time. His Defense was particularly bad in Feb, but he did other things well, like making timely cuts, getting assists and hitting important shots (albeit usually inside the 3). Still shot 48% overall. So he hasnt been K'von but he hasnt been dreadful. He still has looked like an above average to elite role player. Additionally, you have to look at the space he is getting. Often no on DHOs, Domas' defender is cheating up as to cut off huerters space. Teams are not really giving him any breathing room, which by itself opens lanes for others. That is as much part of his job as actually hitting the open shot. I also suspect he is nursing an injury that we dont know about. I would like to have a comfortable enough lead at the #3 spot so we can start to rest guys in the last 10 games (let TD give Huerter a game or 2, Mitchell give Fox a breather). I wish we had a guy that could have stepped in for Domas though.

Speaking of HB. Since Feb 1:

12.4 PPG
4.1 RPG
1.5 APG
30% from 3 on 3.6 3PA
57.6% TS

He hasn't been pulling his weight either.
Guys go through slumps, especially the ones that rely a lot on the outside shooting.It does make one appreciate DS even more.His bad games(and it's kind of a stretch to call it bad) comes like once a month and mostly because of some ridiculous foul calls.

Maybe prior to this season, but not this season.

The individual production and team success has them in the 90% group.

I mean, what else are you looking for? Swipa is dominating Q4 and clutch scoring while putting up near career numbers while Domas is leading league in rebounding and setting franchise records in double and triple doubles.

Fox just outlasted a team with 2-3 future HOF’s in one of the most classic regular season games ever played.

AND the team is 3rd in conference and has been there for quite some time.

C’mon now.
While I agree that Fox has played at around a Superstar level this season, I feel like a player needs to maintain that level of play for longer than one season to achieve that level. Just my own personal opinion.

Sabonis has the consistency part down, but I feel he falls short in some other areas to be placed in that status.

While I agree that Fox has played at around a Superstar level this season, I feel like a player needs to maintain that level of play for longer than one season to achieve that level. Just my own personal opinion.

Sabonis has the consistency part down, but I feel he falls short in some other areas to be placed in that status.
When you explain it that way, yes, I agree with you. He’s gotta keep this up beyond this season.

But judging just from this current season — which is now 61 games and counting — he’s been as good as anyone. His consistent late-game domination alone should have him firmly in the MVP race and IMO he would be if it wasn’t for the stigma of the KINGS org working against him.