49ers thread for 2008-2009

:D

I think (or maybe just hope) he won't drop off like O'Sullivan did. I wish we had some hope on the horizon for somebody who was even a little bit above average. Who knows, maybe little Jed will want to make a big splash and trade/sign a real QB next year.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't think he'll drop off like JTO did.
Hill plays a more safe style dink and dunk kind of game... And more importantly, he shows he can avoid pressure and make something happen in the face of a blitz.

Will he be the next great 49er QB?
Heck no!

But I think he can be a safe, respectable plug-in until that hopeful person comes along.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And, once again, the ship of hope is dashed on the rocks of reality and ...

glub, glub, glub.

If It wasn't the Cowboys I most likely wouldn't care, but when your own daughter is a traitor and roots for the other guys, you really want your team to win.

The inability of the Niners to do anything worth talking about in the red zone is just depressing. And it's not like you can point to any one thing. We're just not very good.

And, once again, the ship of hope is dashed on the rocks of reality and ...

glub, glub, glub.

If It wasn't the Cowboys I most likely wouldn't care, but when your own daughter is a traitor and roots for the other guys, you really want your team to win.

The inability of the Niners to do anything worth talking about in the red zone is just depressing. And it's not like you can point to any one thing. We're just not very good.
Our OL and DL played like trash, but yeah there's a lot more problems than one.

I was pretty amped about this game and quite frankly just excited that they were actually televising a 49ers game in California! Lol and I slept through the whole first half! I guess you can say I was lucky! It's more upsetting that it was the cowsheeps.

There were several no-calls that cost the niners points early on and were pissing me off. But by the end of the game it seemed obvious the Cowboys were a little better and the 49ers just need to start making their own luck.

I thought the defense was playing great and except for the two long T.O. passes (both of which he pushed off on) they really stopped them in the first half. But unfortunately that's how it's been for a while. They show some good stuff but not enough for real wins.

So here's my question to you Niner fans: What are you willing to send to New England in the way of draft picks for Matt Cassel?

Perhaps this is a bit premature, but he looks like a very capable NFL quarterback (surrounding by tons of talent on offense, but he's making the reads and the throws, and he's definitely protecting the ball) ... with pedigree (USC, sat behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart for four years, played for Steve Sarkissian and Pete Carroll; New England, sat behind Tom Brady for four years, plays for Bill Belichick, witnessed firsthand the most prolific passing offense in NFL history).

He's putting up very respectable numbers against very good defenses here lately, and you can tell that he has confidence and poise, even against the violent pass rush the Dolphins brought at him yesterday. He may even get his team into the playoffs, and then anything can happen. Tell me you slotted the Patriots for a playoff spot after Tom Brady went down. Most people didn't.

Regardless of how good he looks, Tom Brady is only 31 years old and will have his starting job back next season. If you could get him for a 2nd and a 4th, would you do it?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So here's my question to you Niner fans: What are you willing to send to New England in the way of draft picks for Matt Cassel?

If you could get him for a 2nd and a 4th, would you do it?
Nope. If we're going to have to start over at the QB position, then we start over. He's playing very well right now, with a squad that's used to protecting Tom Brady. There is NO guarantee he'd do the same for us, unfortunately. I do not want to give up draft picks to find out which it would be.

Nope. If we're going to have to start over at the QB position, then we start over. He's playing very well right now, with a squad that's used to protecting Tom Brady. There is NO guarantee he'd do the same for us, unfortunately. I do not want to give up draft picks to find out which it would be.
That's pretty much what you're doing when you draft a QB though. Would you draft Matt Cassel with your first round pick, if you could? I know that there's no guarantee that his success translates to the Niners (you don't have Randy Moss, but you do have Vernon Davis and a better running game), but he's more likely to succeed as the starter than a rookie would (see: Alex Smith). I would think it would be worth a couple of picks to get an NFL ready QB.

I only ask because a) it's obvious that this season is nothing but an extended tryout for him, as he'll eventually get bailed out of backup prison behind Tom Brady by a team who needs a passer, and b) there are only a handful of teams that I think are in the market for a QB right now, and it's pretty obvious that the 49ers are one of those teams. The others would be the Vikings, Bears and Lions, and maybe the Texans and Chiefs. Donovan McNabb will probably be available this year, and maybe Derek Anderson, depending on how Brady Quinn finishes the year out. There are other backups who are probably chomping at the bit to get a chance to start for a team in need of a QB (Jim Sorgi, Colt Brennan, Troy Smith, the kid in Miami, etc.) But Matt Cassel will probably be the #1 commodity at QB this offseason, assuming he continues to play well.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You asked; I answered. I wouldn't give up draft picks for Matt Cassel. And I'm not in any hurry to bring in another retread, regardless of how good he might be doing elsewhere. I want a young QB that will grow with the team. And for the record I'm still not anywhere near convinced that Matt Cassel would be effective with the Niners.

You asked; I answered. I wouldn't give up draft picks for Matt Cassel. And I'm not in any hurry to bring in another retread, regardless of how good he might be doing elsewhere. I want a young QB that will grow with the team. And for the record I'm still not anywhere near convinced that Matt Cassel would be effective with the Niners.
No, I understand your point of view, and I am not convinced that he would be effective there either. As an outsider, though, I have a different point of view from you. I think it would be worth getting Cassel (he's not exactly a retread), but there's obviously the potential for it to not work out well.

The Niners also won't have to worry about another team in the division making any major upgrades at QB next year, I don't think. Hasselbeck, Bulger and Warner (possibly Leinart) will probably be starters again next year, so it's not like you'd be getting left in the dust if you don't make huge gains this summer.

I get it. I disagree, but I'm not a Niner fan, which is why I asked here.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Please send the Pats some more #1 picks :)

I honestly don't know what to make of Cassel. One thing is clear - in all of the Patriots losses this season he has not been the reason and two of them are squarely on boneheaded late game penalties by the defensive unit which is interesting because they were on pace to be one of the lowest penalized teams of all time. I don't think he's better than Brady, but I didn't really think Brady was anything special when he stepped in for Bledsoe early. Is it the system or do Belichick and Pioli just know how to pick them? Probably a bit of both.

I heard somebody on the radio say the 49ers should attempt to trade some good picks to the Patriots... for Tom Brady.

That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. And I think the chances of it happening are pretty good - maybe as high 0.01%.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I agree about Davis.
Sure he makes bone-head mistakes all the time, but with consistent throws to him he would more than make up for it.

Great win today though!

I agree about Davis.
Sure he makes bone-head mistakes all the time, but with consistent throws to him he would more than make up for it.

Great win today though!

Looks like the Niners finally found their identity: they beat mediocre teams late in the season during meaningless games with Shaun Hill at QB. They are who we thought they are. :p

Seriously tho I liked the play calling, run run run quick pass run run run. Running to set up the pass is clearly the best way this offense can move, eating up clock and helping out the D. A better O line would make the niners much more impressive. Having said all that, it's difficult to get excited for this team when they only start winning games after they've been eliminated from the playoffs.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Wow...

That hit on Smith was vicious.
Thank goodness the guy got up from that...
I though he was down for a good while.

But what a game s far!
Lets close it!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Now that was fun!

NINERS!

I agree about extending Coach. We're starting to look like a team. I'm liking Willis more and more and Shaun Hill makes me smile. When Justin Morgan gets back, I expect big things from him, too.

I think we're beginning to find our identity.

:)

Now that was fun!

NINERS!

I agree about extending Coach. We're starting to look like a team. I'm liking Willis more and more and Shaun Hill makes me smile. When Justin Morgan gets back, I expect big things from him, too.

I think we're beginning to find our identity.

:)
Josh, VF.