49ers thread for 2008-2009

For the first time in a LONG time I'm excited about one of my sports teams!!!
I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I felt a little bit better after the 49ers' 2006 season than I do now. Maybe I'm just jaded because that got me excited and I was let down.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't know know enough about offensive linemen to make educated decisions on them.

But even that said, Barry Sims is terrible.
A turnstile would be more effective blocking that that guy.
:mad:

Man......that sucked!!

I'm still VERY pleased with the effort of this team. A couple bone-headed plays away from another road victory.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Man......that sucked!!

I'm still VERY pleased with the effort of this team. A couple bone-headed plays away from another road victory.
As am I.
They were so close....

We dominated almost everything about the game but just couldn't close out our drives.

And Barry Sims...

It sucks that we lost and I was pulling hard for the win but I am liking this team overall. We need to keep Singletary AND Martz if we can. Yes, Martz too.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Mike Singletary is just what we needed. There's a feeling from the team that's been missing for a very long time.

If we can get some decent help from the draft we could actually be a .500+ team next season. That would be such a nice change.

:)

We gave the game away, it was ours for the taking but Martz offense is bad in the red zone.

At seasons end cut Mark Roman, he is such a bad Saftey.

Vernon should of been blocking Porter on the last play -_-

Bad call by Martz on that last pass to go 5 wide minimum protection. Should've left VD in(like was stated above). Also bad to go with 22 straight pass plays.

Barry Sims is terrible and Roman is the worst safety ever. I wish he would retire. He stopped Nate from getting that INT, he was directly responsible for the 2 TDs, and he sucks in run support. He is just garbage. Both of them are just garbage.

Yeah really.. before the 4th I was thinking.. wow this is probably the most boring game this season, they seem mentally checked out.

So by the mid-4th my only hope for the day was to get Bruce those 5 or so completions.. then as he got closer I was hoping he would get #1000 on a TD pass and HE DID.. THEN.. lol they went and won the game.

I was proud of Shaun Hill today, he fought through the bad play to make the plays at the end.

Sing was going to take him out if you saw the press conference but Sing said he looked in his eyes and shaun said don't take me out, I can do this, let me do this.

From how Sing said it, it felt powerful...nice win at the ed and nice job by the D.

Sing was going to take him out if you saw the press conference but Sing said he looked in his eyes and shaun said don't take me out, I can do this, let me do this.
Ack!! Really?

I mean, I'm no Shaun Hill fan, but you can't always be taking the quarterback out after a couple interceptions.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Ack!! Really?

I mean, I'm no Shaun Hill fan, but you can't always be taking the quarterback out after a couple interceptions.
Yea, here's the direct quote.

"I was even going to take him out," Singletary said. "The only thing that stopped me was the look in his eyes. He said, 'Don't do that, coach. I'm going to be OK.' I said, 'All right, let's go.' I'm really proud of him."
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2008/12/singletary-changed-mind-about-benching-hill.html

SLAB

Hall of Famer
What a fun game to go to!

Did the whole tailgating and everything for the first time.
Awesome experience!

And heard on the raido on the way home 27 year old Jed York is the NEW President of the 49ers and Coach Singletary has been rewarded with a 4 year contract.
:D

What a day!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
They actually showed the Niners lockerroom when Jed York was introduced and he, in turn, greeted the "new head coach, Mike Singletary"...

NINERS!!!!

:D

I could stand him, but I'm still not upset that he's gone.

As to who's next, same guys who were in the mix last year I would guess. This was my list then:

Cameron
Gailey
Zampese
Anybody else
Billick
Martz
I don't know who else will be in or out of the mix this offseason.

Brian Billick immediately came to mind for me also, but I think he'd be able to get a head coaching gig, especially with so many jobs available this offseason.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Shanny has history with SF, wonder if he could be brought on as OC/Asst. Head Coach or if that's beneath him? Then the 9ers could sell the farm to get Cassel.