2016 NBA Draft Discussion

But we DID trade for a Turkish SG that apparently has no interest in coming to the NBA so it's all good.
Bogdanovic is Serbian and plays it Turkey. He has interest in coming to the NBA. Trust me on this. Have followed this kid from underage basketball, through his time with Partizan (Vlade's club BTW) and now in Turkey.

He will be coming to the NBA guaranteed. Might not be this off-season (though it wouldn't surprise me if he does) but it will be when his contract with Fener expires. I think he might have another year to run on his deal. He will be a good, very solid NBA player. Brave and a real fighter with some serious ice running through those veins.

We managed to acquire 3 first round draft picks, and we couldn't even put together a package for Patrick Beverley? We draft all raw, unusable players? I'm trying to find something to get excited about but I just can't understand the logic behind these moves. It kind of feels like we got worse.

Very interested in hearing Vlade's take.

These things confuse me -- people appear to have seriously thought we were going to draft a rookie to direct our veteran team in a new building for our new coach in our save the franchise players season?
No that's not it at all, but I did expect the draft to help strengthen our weaknesses at least somewhat. I am on record of saying that I don't like rookie PGs leading teams, but as of right now we only have one PG who is in legal trouble. We also drafted two bigs when it's not even close to our biggest weaknes . Our biggest weaknesses were shooting and defense. We didn't really help ourselves with either one. At least Baldwin could help with defense, at minimum.

This is a very intriguing draft: A project center, SG, and PF in that order. I have no idea whether these are good picks or not, but wow, it certainly doesn't fall into the "win now" strategy. Maybe that's why in a weird way I think this could really work. Vlade didn't force something that wasn't there. He just went where the draft took him. I can't fault him for that because I like that kind of strategy. He went for talent regardless of position. He didn't trade a #8 for a mediocre vet. Does it totally make sense at this point in time? No, it doesn't. But I'm hopeful it will make more sense by the time this season begins.

And yet, after 3 seasons as a full time starter, he still does. The kid doesn't have it between the ears. He just doesn't. No confidence, no swagger, and he gets broken mentally within 30 seconds of play.

I feel really bad for Ben actually. He hasn't had any guidance, nothing to help him develop that mental part of the game that is so crucial. Nothing to help him develop even the raw physical tools he has. Not a popular opinion here, but I have always liked him and thought he has the potential to be something special. I don't think he has ever been given a fair shake here yet between the relocation drama and not having a coach or system that lasted longer than 6 months. I am more than OK with putting him in a back up role and actually developing him.

These things confuse me -- people appear to have seriously thought we were going to draft a rookie to direct our veteran team in a new building for our new coach in our save the franchise players season?
It's not about drafting a rookie PG to lead us to the playoffs this year, it's about making smart decisions. All of our depth is at SF, PF and C with massive holes at SG and PG. You don't draft an 18 year old backup C with your top pick when you already have Cousins, WCS and Koufos at the position. You don't go drafting a highly bustable Skal when you have Murray on the table.

It's common sense to not stack all your talent at the same positions because there aren't enough minutes to go around. I'm not saying Murray or Baldwin or whoever would lead us to the promise land but at least give yourself a chance to become good at some point in the future. Get a guy that's going to go out there and be a pit bull. Someone that can be destructive on the court. A guy with a motor who goes and makes things happen. Tired of drafting all these passive pansies who don't have a real feel for the game. The successful teams in the playoffs have players who get after it on a consistent basis. I don't see that on our current roster or from the guys we drafted.

The Kings would be in the playoffs right now if all they did was poll the fans from the most popular Kings sites on who to take in the draft every year.

They can't talk about it until it's official. Word is the draft trade is now official. The trade for 22 wont be for weeks.
Besides, it's not like they are going to say anything insightful. It will be standard pro team pr. We like the guys we got. We've been watching them for a while. Good potential and will help the team. Etc.

Bogdanovic is Serbian and plays it Turkey. He has interest in coming to the NBA. Trust me on this. Have followed this kid from underage basketball, through his time with Partizan (Vlade's club BTW) and now in Turkey.

He will be coming to the NBA guaranteed. Might not be this off-season (though it wouldn't surprise me if he does) but it will be when his contract with Fener expires. I think he might have another year to run on his deal. He will be a good, very solid NBA player. Brave and a real fighter with some serious ice running through those veins.
If he comes this year then he's under the rookie contracts for 5 years. If he comes next year he can sign for any amount.

KANGZ logic

We need to try and make the playoffs next season, lets bring in three first round picks this year and use them all on 18 year olds at positions of "don't need".

And yet, after 3 seasons as a full time starter, he still does. The kid doesn't have it between the ears. He just doesn't. No confidence, no swagger, and he gets broken mentally within 30 seconds of play.
Was he a full time starter for 3 seasons? I thought maybe like 1.5. I think he started to show progress under Malone, so he needs a defensive coach, which we now have again. I think Joerger can fix him and we'd have to trade him for less than what I believe he is worth. He's definitely not starting material tho, for the reasons you said.