2016 NBA Draft Discussion

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
With all due respect, there is no way in hell that I'm taking Sabonis at #8. First, I'll be shocked if he's really 6'10". Second, he's not very athletic at all. Third, he has no shot outside of 15 feet, and his post game is just OK. He is a good rebounder. I have him in the lower half of the first round. Somewhere between 20 and 25. If Hield, Dunn, Brown, and Murray are gone, then I'm taking Jakob Poeltl. We may not have a need at the center position at the moment, but in my opinion, he's the best player left on the board, and you never know what the future holds.
If those four are gone I'd hope the Kings look to trade the pick either for a player and/or a later pick. I think Ivica Zubac will end up being the same solid backup/borderline starter C that I think Poeltl will turn out to be.

If the Nuggets were interested in packaging #15 & #19 to move up to #8 (Denver has a bunch of draft picks this year, including the Knicks) I'd jump on that and try to grab two out of Baldwin, Beasley, Luwawu, D. Murray, Valentine, Prince & Zubac. My preference would be Baldwin at #15 & either Beasley or Zubac at #19

I like Murray a little better than you do. He's a lights out shooter, and personally, I think end to end speed is overrated. Nice to have of course, but by and large, its ballhandling and change of speeds that gets players open. Murray is an OK ballhandler, and should get better in the future. He's a high BBIQ guy and only 19 years old. I question his lateral quickness on the defensive side of the ball. That said, I saw him play some pretty good defense on occasion. So we'll see. I just happen to like Hield better. If somehow Dunn drops to us at eight, the drinks are on me. I'll even throw some shrimp on the BarBe.
Murray reminds me of D'Angelo Russell. Russell is a more creative passer, Murray a bit better shooter but similar builds and skillsets. Both are PG/SG combos, both more smooth & crafty than explosive and both will be limited by their athleticism in terms of defense as well as struggling to turn the corner on guys guarding them.

Murray wouldn't help the Kings defensively but he could be a nice, slightly undersized SG option. I think he becomes a better piece for the Kings if Rondo walks and Collison is the starter than if Rondo stays since it would mean he'd have more opportunity to have the ball in his hands to create.

If Kings are looking for POs next season, rookie's fit on the roster should be irrelevant, especially that of a 19-y.o. rookie. Drafting is all about projecting, who the player will be by year 3, maybe by the end of hid rookie contract, if said player was raw when drafted.
As for Murray himself, he has good tools on both ends, but Jamal has a lot of trouble defending off the ball. Offensively Murray looks good both with and w/o the ball, for 19 y.o. of course. Was barely useful against the best defensive team on 'Cats schedule, but he should probably get a pass for 1 game. Anyway I haven't seen Murray outside of top-6 on anyone's mock, so he won't be there for Kings to choose.

So I just watched a video on Buddy Hield. Is it just me or does he look a lot like Ben Mclemore but with a better handle? He's only 9 months younger than Ben too and from what I have read Hield really only became a top college player this year.

They are different people, so I am not trying to say Ben and he are the same thing, but that has me wondering if Ben has some stability and consistent coaching if he could be a better player. Now, that doesn't change the fact from everything I have read or seen that Ben is dumb as a box of rocks, a very lovable and sweet box of rocks that is.

So I just watched a video on Buddy Hield. Is it just me or does he look a lot like Ben Mclemore but with a better handle? He's only 9 months younger than Ben too and from what I have read Hield really only became a top college player this year.

They are different people, so I am not trying to say Ben and he are the same thing, but that has me wondering if Ben has some stability and consistent coaching if he could be a better player. Now, that doesn't change the fact from everything I have read or seen that Ben is dumb as a box of rocks, a very lovable and sweet box of rocks that is.
Hield has the killer instinct that McLemore doesn't. I don't know how his confidence will translate into the NBA, but he's just a smarter and high IQ player all around. However, he does struggle in similar ways Ben does. Hield has a nice handle, but it's more straight line drives. His playmaking is bad. He's a mediocre rebounder. His body is filled out a bit better than Ben's. I think a lot will come down to Hield's confidence. Nik had all the confidence in the world, but he lost it immediately once he set foot in the NBA. I see Hield becoming a similar player to JJ Reddick.

If Ben had better coaching, he's definitely be a much more better player by now. His development stalled after Mike Malone left.

Big difference is Hield can create shots, whereas Ben can't. Ben will always be limited by his lack of BBIQ and offensive skills.

I think Coach Joerger can put Ben in a position to succeed, much like Malone did in 2014-15 for Ben.

If Ben can replicate and improve on his 2014-15 performance, we may have a 3 and D player already on our roster.

Ben's Stats for 2014-15 are actually pretty good:

82gms32.6min.437FG/.3583-pt/.813FT/2.9reb/1.7asst/12.1pts

Hield has the killer instinct that McLemore doesn't. I don't know how his confidence will translate into the NBA, but he's just a smarter and high IQ player all around. However, he does struggle in similar ways Ben does. Hield has a nice handle, but it's more straight line drives. His playmaking is bad. He's a mediocre rebounder. His body is filled out a bit better than Ben's. I think a lot will come down to Hield's confidence. Nik had all the confidence in the world, but he lost it immediately once he set foot in the NBA. I see Hield becoming a similar player to JJ Reddick.
If Ben had better coaching, he's definitely be a much more better player by now. His development stalled after Mike Malone left.
Big difference is Hield can create shots, whereas Ben can't. Ben will always be limited by his lack of BBIQ and offensive skills.
Hield bypassed last year's draft, because he was projected to go in the 20s at best. Buddy has 3.5 seasons in his career, when he was 38% 3pt shooter, and then for half a season he shot 52.5% from outside. It's not a widely discussed topic, but before this season NCAA implemented new interpretation of the rules regarding defending outside players to promote more scoring, so guards' numbers should be considered inflated with comparison to previous years.
No, Buddy can't create his own shot. This season was the first, when he went away from being strictly a C&S guy, and Hield finished it with 0.6 A/TO ratio - you don't want him handling the ball in the NBA. Plus his team had top-5 best spacing in Division-I.
Still Hield definitely has some skills, and he's not going to bust, but someone like Jodie Meeks is pretty realistic projection. Hopefully someone picks him by the time Kings will be on the clock.

Hield bypassed last year's draft, because he was projected to go in the 20s at best. Buddy has 3.5 seasons in his career, when he was 38% 3pt shooter, and then for half a season he shot 52.5% from outside. It's not a widely discussed topic, but before this season NCAA implemented new interpretation of the rules regarding defending outside players to promote more scoring, so guards' numbers should be considered inflated with comparison to previous years.
No, Buddy can't create his own shot. This season was the first, when he went away from being strictly a C&S guy, and Hield finished it with 0.6 A/TO ratio - you don't want him handling the ball in the NBA. Plus his team had top-5 best spacing in Division-I.
Still Hield definitely has some skills, and he's not going to bust, but someone like Jodie Meeks is pretty realistic projection. Hopefully someone picks him by the time Kings will be on the clock.
That's not what I saw in the NCAA tournament where Hield carried his team to the Final Four, whereas I remember Ben disappearing in the tournament. Hard to carry a team if you can't create a shot. Hield was able to do it in college, but I'm not sure he has the athleticism to do it in NBA.

I didn't say, Hield is a worse offensive player than Mclemore, and Buddy was 2 years older and 3 seasons more experienced this season than redshirt freshman Ben. If you put sophomore version of Buddy Hield on that Kansas team, it would not be pretty either.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

There is very little comparison between Hield and McLemore. Hield is a four year player, is a very aggressive player, and is a better shooter than McLemore. He can create his own shot, Mclemore struggles with that. Hield was a good college player the year before. This past season he turned into a great college player. As stated above, Hield has a killer instinct, and at times carried the entire Oklahoma team on his back. He willed them to victory. By the same token, at Kansas, McLemore made a habit of disappearing in games. There is no comparison.

I didn't say, Hield is a worse offensive player than Mclemore, and Buddy was 2 years older and 3 seasons more experienced this season than redshirt freshman Ben. If you put sophomore version of Buddy Hield on that Kansas team, it would not be pretty either.
Agree with you that sophmore Hield wouldn't have done well either on that Kansas team...but since you said they are both about the same age at the moment, who is the better player RIGHT NOW at present day age? I would say Hield by a lot.

NBA Draft ‏@NBADraft
Kay Felder (5'8.25") + Tyler Ullis (5'8.75") are unofficially the only players under 6' (w/o shoes) at '16 combine.

This means Demetrius Jackson is at least 6ft. His wingspan will be the real determining factor now. Beldsoe at the same age was pretty bad in the NBA. Wasn't a shooter, didn't know how to create, etc. I think they're similar prospects and if Jackson can get things together on defense, he'll have a good career as a starting PG.

NBA Draft ‏@NBADraft 9h9 hours ago
Unofficially, the top three 2016 combine heights (without shoes) 1. Zhou Qi - 7'1.25" 2. Jacob Poetl - 7'0.25" 3. Thon Maker - 6'11.75"

Poeltl is a legit 7ft player. Wow. I think Andrew Bogut is his floor/ceiling. They're literally the same person.

Bogut is from overseas and went to Utah for 2 years.
Poeltl is from overseas and went to Utah for 2 years.

Bogut per40 in 2nd year: 23.4pts 14rebs 2.1blks 2.7asts 62% FG 69.2% FT
Poeltl per 40 in 2nd year: 22.7pts 12rebs 2blks 2.6asts 64.6% FG 69.2% FT

Does nobody else see this but me? Poeltl=Bogut.

This draft looks pathetic compared to last year. 2015 is probably going to be one of the best drafts we've ever seen. It sucks that there is no prospect like Porzingis. Bender doesn't come close to me. He has a tad higher ceiling, but has 1000x the busting ability Porzingis did. If nothing else panned for Porzingis, he could still rely on his elite shooting, above the rim play, and shotblocking. I don't know what Bender would be able to fall back on.

The arguably 3rd best player in this draft is Jamaal Murray. Last year, we had D'Angelo Russell who can do everything Murray does now, but 40x better. I'm not in love with this draft. Those last few wins cost this team draft position.

Serious question, in terms of percentage what are the realistic chances of Dunn being available at our pick (likely to be 8)?
In the current draft order:
Philly: No
Lakers: No
Celtics: Maybe, they have IT, but they aren't afraid to stock up on guards. They drafted Rozier and Hunter last year even with IT, Bradley, and mart.
Suns: No
Timerbwolves: No/Maybe, they need more shooting and they already have 2 prospects at PG...Rubio and LaVine. If they want to move on from Rubio, but don't think LaVine can be a long term PG, I could see them drafting Dunn.
Pelicans: Yes/Maybe, Jrue hasn't been healthy. They need more shooting, and they might draft a SG instead. PG/SG are their top needs, but SG is more.
Nuggets: NO
Kings: Yes

Our big competition will be New Orleans.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
NBA Draft ‏@NBADraft
Kay Felder (5'8.25") + Tyler Ullis (5'8.75") are unofficially the only players under 6' (w/o shoes) at '16 combine.

This means Demetrius Jackson is at least 6ft. His wingspan will be the real determining factor now. Beldsoe at the same age was pretty bad in the NBA. Wasn't a shooter, didn't know how to create, etc. I think they're similar prospects and if Jackson can get things together on defense, he'll have a good career as a starting PG.

Unofficially, the top three 2016 combine heights (without shoes) 1. Zhou Qi - 7'1.25" 2. Jacob Poetl - 7'0.25" 3. Thon Maker - 6'11.75"

Poeltl is a legit 7ft player. Wow. I think Andrew Bogut is his floor/ceiling. They're literally the same person.

This draft looks pathetic compared to last year. 2015 is probably going to be one of the best drafts we've ever seen. It sucks that there is no prospect like Porzingis. Bender doesn't come close to me. He has a tad higher ceiling, but has 1000x the busting ability Porzingis did. If nothing else panned for Porzingis, he could still rely on his elite shooting, above the rim play, and shotblocking. I don't know what Bender would be able to fall back on.

The arguably 3rd best player in this draft is Jamaal Murray. Last year, we had D'Angelo Russell who can do everything Murray does now, but 40x better. I'm not in love with this draft. Those last few wins cost this team draft position.
If Poeltl isn't as injury prone as Bogut has been known to be, then I'll gladly take him at 8 if all the guard prospects are off the board. You can never have enough size, I don't want to follow this pace and small ball norm the league is trying to emulate. I'd rather beat you with a big, bruising team for 48 minutes.

Serious question, in terms of percentage what are the realistic chances of Dunn being available at our pick (likely to be 8)?
Right now it would seem very slim as I would guess 90% of mocks have this draft as top-7 defined. But there 3-4 guys, that are going to get hype: Skal, Chriss, Luwawu and maybe Baldwin, so the draft might easily become consensus top-10 by draft night.

Poeltl will look very different in the league than he looked this year in college as a lot of his game was about strength/size dominance, while his shooting was rarely utilized. His Utah's defense and Poeltl's blocks numbers dropped after he assumed bigger offensive role, so it's not clear, how good he is as a two-way player. That said Poeltl at #8 is definitely not a bad choice, but I wouldn't be overly excited either as Bogut went through rather drastic transformation after couple of NBA seasons, so while they are similar as prospects, I don't think it's certain, that Poeltl follows the same path. At the same age Bogut was stronger and a better passer, Poeltl looks to be a better shooter.

If Poeltl isn't as injury prone as Bogut has been known to be, then I'll gladly take him at 8 if all the guard prospects are off the board. You can never have enough size, I don't want to follow this pace and small ball norm the league is trying to emulate. I'd rather beat you with a big, bruising team for 48 minutes.
I think the Kings would probably be better off trading back at 8 if all the top guys are gone. I really like Poeltl, but I feel like he would be redundant with Cousins. Poeltl wouldn't work alongside Cousins, and we'd struggle to have him alongside Kofus in the 2nd unit. It would make Kofus expendable though. I feel like if we do draft another PF/C, we should aim for someone with a higher ceiling like Deyonta Davis or Marquese Chriss. However, I think trading down would probably be the best scenario since the Kings don't have a real need for another PF/C.

Right now it would seem very slim as I would guess 90% of mocks have this draft as top-7 defined. But there 3-4 guys, that are going to get hype: Skal, Chriss, Luwawu and maybe Baldwin, so the draft might easily become consensus top-10 by draft night.

Poeltl will look very different in the league than he looked this year in college as a lot of his game was about strength/size dominance, while his shooting was rarely utilized. His Utah's defense and Poeltl's blocks numbers dropped after he assumed bigger offensive role, so it's not clear, how good he is as a two-way player. That said Poeltl at #8 is definitely not a bad choice, but I wouldn't be overly excited either as Bogut went through rather drastic transformation after couple of NBA seasons, so while they are similar as prospects, I don't think it's certain, that Poeltl follows the same path. At the same age Bogut was stronger and a better passer, Poeltl looks to be a better shooter.
I'm honestly having trouble seeing Luwawu up there in the top 10. He's already 21 and doesn't excel in any category right now. If he weren't already 21, I could see the desire in him. Raw player who could turn into a stud on defense while developing his offensive tools. Age has to be a factor right?

Chriss is the ultimate question mark. If he goes to the right team, he becomes a bluechip guy. His ceiling is incredibly high.

It only takes 1...
Luwawu does have excellent combination of tools and skills, and this was his first year of major minutes, so someone might take a leap of faith.
Chriss has PF game in SF body, but with league's recent transformation SF/PF tweener is no longer a bad word.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think we have a serious disagreement.

It only takes 1...
Luwawu does have excellent combination of tools and skills, and this was his first year of major minutes, so someone might take a leap of faith.
Chriss has PF game in SF body, but with league's recent transformation SF/PF tweener is no longer a bad word.
Unless you're Anthony Bennett...

It sucks that D-Will came into the wrong era. Was never able to get things going in Minnesota because he didn't "fit". If Arizona Derrick Williams was in this draft, he'd probably be right up there with Simmons, and probably above Ingram. His entire career would be different. I honestly think he's a better prospect than Jabari Parker is coming out of college.

It's crazy how fast the league has changed in 5 years.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
NBA Draft ‏@NBADraft

Ahem! I have mentioned several times that Poeltl reminded me quite a bit of Bogut when he was in college. Right now, Poeltl is the best center in the draft. Three years from now, that might not be true. But in any event, I think he's going to be a solid player. He improved a lot from his freshman year, so it's hard to know what his ceiling is.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Watch Hield against Iowa St. and then tell me he can't create his own shot. Yes he turned the ball over more than I would like, but remember, he handled the ball more than any other player on his team. He was the defensive focus of every team he played against this past season.

Ben had more than a dozen NBA games with 20+ points. I'm sure, I can pull a few with impressive moves. The question is about being able to do it consistently every day. Heild is going to be a top-14 player in this class, so he's definitely worth a lottery pick, but he has more draft stock, than he should.

Hield has more of full arsenal of offensive moves than Ben had. I don't think it's really close either. Buddy is older and added these things to his game. Ben had a lovely shot form and athleticism, but couldn't dribble at a NBA level.

I would like to see that "full arsenal of offensive moves"!?
The only thing Buddy clearly has on Ben is that lean back three, and good luck on using that in the NBA. Buddy's handles are every bit as shaky as Ben's are. It just so happened, that people were called for a lot of fouls for touching ball-handler this season in Division-I, so Buddy got some confidence.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I would like to see that "full arsenal of offensive moves"!?
The only thing Buddy clearly has on Ben is that lean back three, and good luck on using that in the NBA. Buddy's handles are every bit as shaky as Ben's are. It just so happened, that people were called for a lot of fouls for touching ball-handler this season in Division-I, so Buddy got some confidence.
Sorry, I watched Hield play over 20 times last year, and your wrong. Plus,, Hield was very consistent game after game after game. It's a shame that he had to have one of his worse games of the year in his last game.

NOVEMBER 2015
DATEOPPONENTRESULTMINFG3PTFTOREBDREBTOTASTPFBLKSTLTOPTS
11/17at MemphisW 84-78359-194-88-102683223430
11/20vs. McNeese StateW 85-56239-135-71-11231101024
11/24vs. Incarnate WordW 96-63227-122-46-60665011122
11/29vs. WisconsinW 65-48325-160-22-21451201312
DECEMBER 2015
12/03vs. Central ArkansasW 111-68224-122-59-112572100119
12/07at VillanovaW 78-55366-174-92-21340001218
12/12vs. Oral RobertsW 96-73319-154-78-81122115030
12/19vs. CreightonW 87-743812-223-66-81230302233
12/22at Washington StateW 88-60268-135-84-40440102125
12/23at HawaiiW 84-81387-165-98-81893200427
12/25vs. HarvardW 83-713811-143-59-101672100634
JANUARY 2016
01/02vs. Iowa StateW 87-83408-232-94-41452201222
01/04at KansasL 106-1095413-238-1512-142687400546
01/09vs. Kansas StateW 86-763211-146-83-30885322631
01/13at Oklahoma StateW 74-723910-176-120-007743101026
01/16vs. West VirginiaW 70-68395-114-83-30441324317
01/18at Iowa StateL 77-823710-237-140-01564201327
01/23at BaylorW 82-72287-104-71-11783212219
01/26vs. Texas TechW 91-67349-125-87-81563101130
01/30at LSUW 77-753811-228-152-24371201232
FEBRUARY 2016
02/02vs. TCUW 95-72317-133-80-11231212117
02/06at Kansas StateL 69-80387-163-86-61342300323
02/08vs. TexasW 63-60387-183-1010-111452302427
02/13vs. KansasL 72-76375-155-119-101341400424
02/17at Texas TechL 63-65386-163-101-31561200516
02/20at West VirginiaW 76-62389-215-116-70441201229
02/24vs. Oklahoma StateW 71-49315-152-65-52351101117
02/27at TexasL 63-763912-246-133-31561221133
MARCH 2016
03/01vs. BaylorW 73-71368-194-113-41342201423
03/05at TCUW 75-67397-123-84-40663411521
03/10vs. Iowa StateW 79-763714-212-69-93691321439
03/11at West VirginiaL 67-69371-81-63-4246220036
03/18vs. Cal State BakersfieldW 82-68398-143-68-91452122227
03/20vs. VCUW 85-813611-206-148-100771200136
03/24vs. Texas A&MW 77-63386-132-73-528103200517
03/26at OregonW 80-683913-208-133-43140200637
APRIL 2016
04/02vs. VillanovaL 51-95364-121-80-0527230249
by Taboola
Promoted Links

Like any player, he had his bad game now and then, but when you looik at the numbers he put up on a regular basis, and the percentage he shot doing if, your crazy if you call him inconsistent.

I thought, you wasn't that great with statistics?! :)
Those numbers still don't say what part of his offense will carry over to the NBA. Cause he will need every bit of that, since he's not a good team defender, and no one is playing ISO on the perimeter unless it's a clear mismatch.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
For Dunn to drop to the Kings it would likely mean that a team before them (NO being mostly likely IMO) drafting Poeltl. As Gilles said, other guys like Chriss, Labissiere or Baldwin might get some push into the top 10 and leapfrog Dunn. I've also seen several mocks that had Ellenson as a top 8 pick though personally I'm not high on him.

But I could see the draft playing out this way - Lottery simulated via tankathon.com

BOS - Simmons
PHI - Ingram
LAL - Bender
PHX - Brown
MIN - Hield
NOP - Poeltl
DEN - Murray
SAC - Dunn

Of course, hitting the Sim Lottery button a few more times I got this result:

PHI
SAC
PHX
PHI
BOS
MIN
NOP
DEN

Which would be awesome as both the Kings land either Simmons or Ingram (Ingram being a better fit with Cousins IMO) AND the Lakers lose their pick. With things seemingly rolling the Kings way now wouldn't it be nice to finally get some lottery luck?

Of course, hitting the Sim Lottery button a few more times I got this result:

PHI
SAC
PHX
PHI
BOS
MIN
NOP
DEN

Which would be awesome as both the Kings land either Simmons or Ingram (Ingram being a better fit with Cousins IMO) AND the Lakers lose their pick. With things seemingly rolling the Kings way now wouldn't it be nice to finally get some lottery luck?
wow, that lottery order is quite the "best case scenario," isn't it?! philadelphia gets the #1 pick, so they aren't inclined to swap with the kings, who manage to snag the #2 pick, which they would likely use on brandon ingram (which could also expedite the eventual trade of rudy gay to help fill another hole), while the lakers fall outside of the top-3 altogether, which slows their rebuild as the pick gets shipped off to philly. c'mon, basketball gods!! make it happen!!