Zack Randolph

Would you like The Kings to sign Zach Randolph in the offseason

• yes

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • no

Votes: 27 84.4%

• Total voters
Would you want him? Before you say no, think about this. He's not even 30 yet so he has a few good years left, at least, he averages 20 points and 13 rebounds, and plays the position Kings are weakest at, PF. I think he'd be a great fit and would put him at the top of the list of players I'd like to see The Kings pursue in free agency. He'd bring a lot of experience and could form a formidable "big 3" along with Evans and Cousins.

In a word NO!!!!

Would much rather try to get Prince as that super role player/glue guy/veteran leader for this team that has won it all and knows what it takes to win.

Randolph would not be a great fit next to Cousins....the defence and shot blocking would be non-existant with those 2 playing majority of front court minutes.

ehh.. I'm going to go with no on this. I am not a fan of his since his Portland days.. Has he been a model employee in Memphis?

As for Prince, he's not really a leader type is he? I don't ever remember him being that vocal.

In a word NO!!!!

Would much rather try to get Prince as that super role player/glue guy/veteran leader for this team that has won it all and knows what it takes to win.

Randolph would not be a great fit next to Cousins....the defence and shot blocking would be non-existant with those 2 playing majority of front court minutes.
Prince would be a good addition but Randolph is the better player, that's not even debatable. As for "has won it all and knows what it takes to win" i think that's a misnomer. He won it all because the Pistons had a damn good team in 04 and 05. A look at the Pistons current record shows that Prince having won it all and supposedly knowing what it takes to win isn't carrying over in any way that helps the current team.

He would be redundant with Cousins on the team.

Our front court is the strongest part of our team. Don't let Westphal's rotations fool you. We just have to resign Dalembert in the off-season and draft Kemba Walker/Kyrie Irving.

Cousins + Randolph would be exposed defensively.

Last edited:
Not sure what folks are basing the idea that Randolh is a bad defender on. He isn't a prolific shot blocker but there's more to defense than shot blocking. His plus/minus is good, he's one of the top 10 rebounders in the league, and a top 25 scorer. On second thought, yeah, why would we want a guy like that.

Last edited:
Just found this. http://hubpages.com/hub/Basketball-Defense "If you think shot-blocking is the main strategy for inside defense, you're wrong and actually starting to defend a bit too late. You should know how to establish your position so that your opponent won't even be able to get the ball at all. Keep in mind; if he doesn't get the ball, he can't score. That's the gist of it".

Sure he's a good player, but there's only one ball to go around and Evans hogs it too much as it is. Wade and Shaq won with Udonis Haslem, who is a far less talented player than Randolph. Remember, we are not lacking in offense from the PF position, we're lacking veteran savvy, someone who consistently rebounds well and defends, and finishes inside shots. I mean sure Randolph "fits" the bill, but that's like saying "we need a full sized 2 guard who can handle the ball sometimes and cut and hit open shots to play alongside Tyreke - hey let's go after Kobe!" or "dang our SF position is a little weak. We need someone who can hit their 3s and guard the best wing player on the opposing team! Let's go get Paul Pierce!". "Hey, our team lacks ball movement. We need a pure PG who passes and sets up the offense. Let's get Steve Nash!". "Argh, our interior defense is lacking. We need more shotblocking. Let's get Dwight Howard".

Sorry I got a little carried away. The point is the role that he'd play on the team is not worth the money we'd have to pay to get him. He's a good player, I'm not denying that, but at the moment we need better role players to play alongside Tyreke and Cousins, as well as some veteran presence. Zach Randolph is not a role player, nor is he a good veteran leader. We're better off using the money on others.

personally i think the "theres not enough balls to go around" argument is being used too much and doesnt hold up. look at all the good teams lately. they all have multiple stars. of course some people are gonna get the ball less but if you get the right player that wants to win and not build stats, then i say get better players. spurs duncan/parker/manu. lakers kobe/gasol/(artest,odom,bynum your choice). boston pierce/garnett/allen/rondo. heat lebron/wade/bosh. the only reason i wouldnt want randolph is how he might influence our young players. but if there was a player like him that has his head on straight, go for it

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I always get a little bemused by people getting picky over an all star. Here's a guy that absolutely kills us when we play against him, but he's not good enough, or doesn't quite fit into the pie some people have designed. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't go after Randolph. It would all depend on the asking price. But would I like him on our team? You bet. The guy is a very good basketball player. And according to 82 games he has a +8.3 rating against the opposition, so his defense can't be all that bad. He's a terrific defensive rebounder, and that alone cuts down on the other teams second chance points and helps the defense.

Memphis hadn't done diddley squat until they aquired Randolph. He made them relevent. The same people that would say that Randolph and Cousins couldn't play together, because it would get too crowded in the post, probably like the idea of Cousins and Dalembert playing together. To say you'll turn your back on any good player simply because Tyreke suspossedly needs the ball in his hands too much, is ridiculous. Tyreke is a second year player thats very talented. But he's still figuring out out to blend those talents into the team concept. So if you aquire a player like Randolph, then Tyreke will need to adjust his game some. But its not a huge adjustment. If LeBron wanted to come to sacramento, would you turn him down because you think he wouldn't fit well with Tyreke?

Since Randolph has left Portland he's been a good boy for the most part. If, as a young player he had been drafted by a different team, his reputation would probably be a lot different. Unfortunately he had the misfortune to be teamed up as a young man with Wallace, Bonzi etc. and learned some bad habits. I'm sure that 10 years from now fans on a team will say they don't want Cousins because he's a hothead. Whether its deserved or not. These kind of things tend to follow a player. It makes for good conversation.

Let me ask you this. If under the new CBA you could aquire Randolph for 8 or 9 mil a year, would you do it? Considering that he's making 17 mil right now. lets round it out at 10 mil. He'll be 30 years old in july. so he's has at least 3 good years left, maybe more. Remember, if he's on the floor with Cousins, his man isn't going to leave him to double down without paying a price. If the asking price is right, I think you would have to consider it.. If the price is too high, then forget it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Clearly there is no room for a player of his ilk on thesde emerging team. And yes, THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH BALLS TO GO AROUND.

Randolph has found redemption in Memphis and proven that he can have value when he wants to play, but its not value to us. His shakiest traits are defense and attitude, adn those are precisely places where our future PF can not be shaky. His best trait is his interior scoring, and there he is a hgih volume guy that would nto only fight for the ball (not known for passing it either with Reke and Cousins, but would clog the lane for Reke as well. All of which leaves his rebounding, which actually is an asset -- he's always been strong, and now in a contract push (and Randolph is the calssic player mentality t make a contract push) its been exceptional. But that's not nearly enough to pay a guy near max moeny to come in and either make your young stars 18ppg players or become one himself.

Guys, we do not need a 20ppg scorer. We do not need a goto guy. Those guys are here. We need a 3rd weapon, and we need great defenders and roleplayers. That ain't Zach.

Bricklayer

Remember, if he's on the floor with Cousins, his man isn't going to leave him to double down without paying a price. If the asking price is right, I think you would have to consider it.. If the price is too high, then forget it.
Remember if he's onthe floor with Cousins both of their guys are goig to go for 30.

You can't pair stubby non-defense with stubby non-defense, then to top it off have them drain each other's offense.

Clearly there is no room for a player of his ilk on thesde emerging team. And yes, THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH BALLS TO GO AROUND.

Randolph has found redemption in Memphis and proven that he can have value when he wants to play, but its not value to us. His shakiest traits are defense and attitude, adn those are precisely places where our future PF can not be shaky. His best trait is his interior scoring, and there he is a hgih volume guy that would nto only fight for the ball (not known for passing it either with Reke and Cousins, but would clog the lane for Reke as well. All of which leaves his rebounding, which actually is an asset -- he's always been strong, and now in a contract push (and Randolph is the calssic player mentality t make a contract push) its been exceptional. But that's not nearly enough to pay a guy near max moeny to come in and either make your young stars 18ppg players or become one himself.

Guys, we do not need a 20ppg scorer. We do not need a goto guy. Those guys are here. We need a 3rd weapon, and we need great defenders and roleplayers. That ain't Zach.
this is where i always have the problem. against the lakers we only score 15 in the 4th, against charlotte i believe we scored like 18, and against gs we were horrible in the end of the 4th as well as OT. us not being able to finish games means we DO need a go to guy. you keep saying we dont need more scorers but its so frustrating to see us do well for 3 quarters and then go through droughts. if cousins isnt out there because of foul trouble or tyreke goes through his dribble til there is 3 secs left and jack up a shot or turn it over modes, who do we have? they are our future but they arent consistent enough. if cousins can keep his play up we are good, but if not, we cant depend on sammy's offensive game like the last few games. maybe if there were more players that could consistently score the ball tyreke would be more prone to pass it?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Remember if he's onthe floor with Cousins both of their guys are goig to go for 30.

You can't pair stubby non-defense with stubby non-defense, then to top it off have them drain each other's offense.
We could call them the stubby twins! Actually I think Cousins is going to eventually be a good defender. Never a shotblocker in the strict sense of the word, but he'll average 1 plus a game. But your right about Randolph in the sense of a weakside helper for Cousins. But he does play pretty good man defense and is good at keeping his man in front of him. No I don't think he's the perfect fit, and to be honest, I don't think that position is our greatest need. Thompson, while not perfect, does rebound and his defense is much better. So if your looking for a complimentry guy that just takes what comes along offensively, I'm fine with him. Draft another young PF with defensive abilities in the second round, and lets concentrate on a third guard or someone thats a legit upgrade at SF..

One of ther reasons I like Fredette, and he's not the only one I like. But he's a pure shooter that could come off the bench and light it up when you really need it. Personally I wouldn't mind having someone like Fredette as a young player to develop, and then sign someone like Jamal Crawford for a couple of years. Crawford has developed into a very nice player thats capable of doing just about anything you want from that position. If not Crawford, then someone like him, that can score, defend, handle the ball and pass the ball. And just take whats there without forcing things.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
this is where i always have the problem. against the lakers we only score 15 in the 4th, against charlotte i believe we scored like 18, and against gs we were horrible in the end of the 4th as well as OT. us not being able to finish games means we DO need a go to guy. you keep saying we dont need more scorers but its so frustrating to see us do well for 3 quarters and then go through droughts. if cousins isnt out there because of foul trouble or tyreke goes through his dribble til there is 3 secs left and jack up a shot or turn it over modes, who do we have? they are our future but they arent consistent enough. if cousins can keep his play up we are good, but if not, we cant depend on sammy's offensive game like the last few games. maybe if there were more players that could consistently score the ball tyreke would be more prone to pass it?
You make some good points. But your points are based on assumptions that both Cousins and Evans aren't going to improve or change their games. Now you could be right, but history tells us that the good players are constantly working on, and improving their games. So I think its a fair assumption to believe that Cousins isn't always going to be foul prone, and that Evans will learn to fit his game more smoothly into the offense. Even now the dribbling incidents are becoming less frequent since they started running the offense through Cousins. So, tiny steps, tiny steps.

However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have someone that could consistently hit the outside shot, and also have a good midrange game.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
How dare those 20 year olds play like young players?!!!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Someone who I think would fit very well next to Cousins going forward, and rumors are he might be made available leading up to the deadline, is Anderson Varejao. Not sure what we would have to give up to get him though. Cle is obviously about to blow up their roster and rebuild, so cap space and draft picks might work, along with a cheaper replacement at the pf, which we have.

Like Brick mentioned in another thread, the more this team wins in the 2nd half, the less valuable our pick is. If we were to pick top 3 or 4, I'm not sure I would want to trade it for Varejao. But if this team continues it sudden turn around, our pick might fall to 7-12, in which case it's more valuable now.

So one idea I had, is giving up our upcoming pick(given our recent play it could easily drop out of the top 5), and JT or Landry(one or the other), for Varejao. It's somewhat risky, but I agree with Brick that our 1st round pick is potentially more valuable now than it will be 3 months from now.

A Cousins/Varejao frontline, with possibly a resigned Dally, would one hell of a scrappy/physical frontline.
Varejao's current contract is a serious dealkiller though (along with his injury)

How dare those 20 year olds play like young players?!!!
see this is part of my reasoning. they are young and not ready (yet...but i believe they wil be) to take over the team due to inexperience. what is wrong with bringing in a good player to show them. many believe westphal isnt a good coach, so how is tyreke and dmc supposed to learn? by bringing in more inexperience through the draft? we need a few vets that can show these youngs how to play. im not saying bring in a vet to take their minutes. now i feel kind of stupid making this point in a randolph thread because he might do more harm than good as an influence but my point is stop shooting down every good player or being so nitpicky. if your reasoning is he is a knucklehead or he might be too expensive, i understand and kind of agree. if it's because we dont need his 20+ppg, 13+rpg because he doesnt avg a block a game than i dont know what to say.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
see this is part of my reasoning. they are young and not ready (yet...but i believe they wil be) to take over the team due to inexperience. what is wrong with bringing in a good player to show them.
The following is what I don't want Zach Randolph to be showing our young players:

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/23686810/detail.html

A drug bust involving hidden compartments in a car registered to (though at the time not driven by) Randolph accompanied by a police informant's testimony that Randolph is a major marijuana supplier in Indianapolis, is the short version. That's a little more than "knucklehead", and I want it nowhere near this team, 20 and 13 statline or not.

The following is what I don't want Zach Randolph to be showing our young players:

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/23686810/detail.html

A drug bust involving hidden compartments in a car registered to (though at the time not driven by) Randolph accompanied by a police informant's testimony that Randolph is a major marijuana supplier in Indianapolis, is the short version. That's a little more than "knucklehead", and I want it nowhere near this team, 20 and 13 statline or not.
look on the brightside, if we had zbo, the team would have their own personal hook up on mary jane.

I don't want Randolph because I don't want any Kings player being physically threatened by one of Randolph's entourage. I don't want to read about one of Randolph's hommies killing a night club bouncer in Sacramento. I don't want to read about any Kings player connected to drug operation. I don't want to read about the law enforcement being alarmed upon seeing many gang symbols painted inside the home of a Kings player. I don't want to read about neighbors of any Kings player complaining of loud parties with ATVs racing down the street well past midnight. And most of all, I don't want to bring in one of the most notorious Jailblazers into a team full of young players, some not even old enough to drink legally.

And btw, all of the stuff listed above happened in Portland.

If the Boston Celtics, with their team full of veterans, want Randolph, fine. If you find the gangsta culture appealing, fine. But I personally would never bring that into the Kings' lockeroom.

I don't want Randolph because I don't want any Kings player being physically threatened by one of Randolph's entourage. I don't want to read about one of Randolph's hommies killing a night club bouncer in Sacramento. I don't want to read about any Kings player connected to drug operation. I don't want to read about the law enforcement being alarmed upon seeing many gang symbols painted inside the home of a Kings player. I don't want to read about neighbors of any Kings player complaining of loud parties with ATVs racing down the street well past midnight. And most of all, I don't want to bring in one of the most notorious Jailblazers into a team full of young players, some not even old enough to drink legally.

And btw, all of the stuff listed above happened in Portland.

If the Boston Celtics, with their team full of veterans, want Randolph, fine. If you find the gangsta culture appealing, fine. But I personally would never bring that into the Kings' lockeroom.
I think Zach has mellowed a bit with age, people usually do. Your concerns actually make more sense than the "we don't need a 20 and 13 guy" line of thinking, though.

I always get a little bemused by people getting picky over an all star. Here's a guy that absolutely kills us when we play against him, but he's not good enough, or doesn't quite fit into the pie some people have designed. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't go after Randolph. It would all depend on the asking price. But would I like him on our team? You bet. The guy is a very good basketball player. And according to 82 games he has a +8.3 rating against the opposition, so his defense can't be all that bad. He's a terrific defensive rebounder, and that alone cuts down on the other teams second chance points and helps the defense.

Memphis hadn't done diddley squat until they aquired Randolph. He made them relevent. The same people that would say that Randolph and Cousins couldn't play together, because it would get too crowded in the post, probably like the idea of Cousins and Dalembert playing together. To say you'll turn your back on any good player simply because Tyreke suspossedly needs the ball in his hands too much, is ridiculous. Tyreke is a second year player thats very talented. But he's still figuring out out to blend those talents into the team concept. So if you aquire a player like Randolph, then Tyreke will need to adjust his game some. But its not a huge adjustment. If LeBron wanted to come to sacramento, would you turn him down because you think he wouldn't fit well with Tyreke?

Since Randolph has left Portland he's been a good boy for the most part. If, as a young player he had been drafted by a different team, his reputation would probably be a lot different. Unfortunately he had the misfortune to be teamed up as a young man with Wallace, Bonzi etc. and learned some bad habits. I'm sure that 10 years from now fans on a team will say they don't want Cousins because he's a hothead. Whether its deserved or not. These kind of things tend to follow a player. It makes for good conversation.

Let me ask you this. If under the new CBA you could aquire Randolph for 8 or 9 mil a year, would you do it? Considering that he's making 17 mil right now. lets round it out at 10 mil. He'll be 30 years old in july. so he's has at least 3 good years left, maybe more. Remember, if he's on the floor with Cousins, his man isn't going to leave him to double down without paying a price. If the asking price is right, I think you would have to consider it.. If the price is too high, then forget it.
Most reasonable post in this thread, by far. I knew a lot of folks would not like the idea but I'm surprised it's the majority who don't. Even more surprising is some of the reasoning along the lines of we don't need another 20 point scorer, he doesn't block shots, etc. I wonder if folks are letting their dislike of Zack as a person and his history as a "bad boy" effect their thinking. I can't think of any other reason why so many people would pooh-pooh the idea of adding one of the best rebounders and scorers in the game.

Bricklayer

Most reasonable post in this thread, by far. I knew a lot of folks would not like the idea but I'm surprised it's the majority who don't. Even more surprising is some of the reasoning along the lines of we don't need another 20 point scorer, he doesn't block shots, etc. I wonder if folks are letting their dislike of Zack as a person and his history as a "bad boy" effect their thinking. I can't think of any other reason why so many people would pooh-pooh the idea of adding one of the best rebounders and scorers in the game.
It is not, an never has been about stacking up mismatched talent in the NBA. You personally make that mistake all the time. And its just..you need to watch more games around the league. You don't win games by putting the biggest scorer you can find at every position. There is only 1 ball. There are only so many shots. Scorers are the one thing in the NBA you absolutely CAN have too many of. While he may be for a different team, Zach Randolph is not 20-13 for the Kings. Or if he is, then DeMarcus isn't 20, or Reke isn't 20. And there certainly aren't enoguh shots aroudn to justify Beno or Omri. Name me your teams with 3 20pt scorers? And none of the normal cheating I encounter when I throw out that challenge -- well...he averaged 17, so close enough. Have you watched Chris Bosh in Miami? And that's with a remaining roster filled out wiht NBA scrubs.

Meanwhile he's a strong rebounder. This year he is a very strong rebounder, but if you trust Zach Randolph's numbers in a contract push year you are just nutty. This is Erick Dampier territory. And we, as a team, are already one of the best rebounding teams in the league (#6 at the moment). Its not an area of weakness.

If Zach Randolph were a defender, if Zach Randolph were a passer, if...but there is no point in all those ifs. He's not. Never has been. The only way you get your moeny's worth, not to mention youtr team chemistry's worth out of Zach Randolph is to feature him as a scorer. The only way to feature him as a scorer on a team as loaded wiht young offensive talents as we are is to cut out other people. That is not worth it on a young team -- in fact its basically never done.

It is not, an never has been about stacking up mismatched talent in the NBA. You personally make that mistake all the time. And its just..you need to watch more games around the league. You don't win games by putting the biggest scorer you can find at every position.
Can you ever make a reply without resorting to strawman nonsense? I didn’t now, nor have I ever advocated anything like stacking up mismatched talent, putting the best scorers you can find at every position, etc.

Every great team in the league has at least thee players who are a legitimate 20+ threats every night. That obviously doesn’t mean they all three score 20+ every single night, though. Randolph would provide that third 20+ threat that could put The Kings over the top.

There is only 1 ball. There are only so many shots. Scorers are the one thing in the NBA you absolutely CAN have too many of.
Yeah it’s worked out so badly for the The Lakers, Heat, and Celtics. One ball just isn’t enough for them.

While he may be for a different team, Zach Randolph is not 20-13 for the Kings. Or if he is, then DeMarcus isn't 20, or Reke isn't 20.
I never said he’d score 20 and 13 on the Kings. I mentioned his numbers to show that he’s a very good player.

And there certainly aren't enoguh shots aroudn to justify Beno or Omri.
Then how did Boston manage to justify having guys like Eddie House and Nate Robinson? How will the Heat justify Mike Miller? How do the Lakers justify Steve Blake and Matt Barnes?

Name me your teams with 3 20pt scorers? And none of the normal cheating I encounter when I throw out that challenge -- well...he averaged 17, so close enough. Have you watched Chris Bosh in Miami? And that's with a remaining roster filled out wiht NBA scrubs.
I never once claimed that there were any teams that have three players simultaneously averaging 20+. It’s about having three players who can and have averaged 20+ sacrifice a little and each average 17 or 18. It’s worked beautifully for Boston and seems to be working out for The Heat, as well.

By your logic, Bosh, James, and Wade could never work on the same team because they’re all career 20+ scorers and there’s only one ball.

Meanwhile he's a strong rebounder. This year he is a very strong rebounder, but if you trust Zach Randolph's numbers in a contract push year you are just nutty.
I don’t have to just trust this year. He’s averaged 10+ rebounds in six of the last 7 seasons and in the season he didn’t, he still averaged 9.
are already one of the best rebounding teams in the league (#6 at the moment). Its not an area of weakness.
So why settle for #6? Why not go for being the best rebounding team in the leauge?

If Zach Randolph were a defender, if Zach Randolph were a passer, if...but there is no point in all those ifs. He's not. Never has been.
He is a good defender, he just isn’t a shot blocker. Defense is more than shot blocking. He also has a decent assist average at 1.7.

The only way you get your moeny's worth, not to mention youtr team chemistry's worth out of Zach Randolph is to feature him as a scorer. The only way to feature him as a scorer on a team as loaded wiht young offensive talents as we are is to cut out other people. That is not worth it on a young team -- i
“Loaded with young offensive talents” is an exaggeration. They have two great young offensive talents and the rest are role players. They don’t have that 3rd all star caliber player (assuming Evans and Cousins are future all stars) that puts teams over the top. Randolph could be that guy.

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean by "model employee". All I know is that he's really good and plays a position the Kings are lacking at.
Meaning is he still an a-hole that causes problems? He used to be known as somewhat of a locker room cancer. That's what I based my opinion on. I didn't want that type of attitude around the young players. If he's turned the attitude around I wouldn't mind giving him a shot here to see if he fits in, but I wouldn't sign him long term and then realize he isn't very good with the players we have.

EDIT: I think the last team to have three players that avg 20ppg was the Warriors with RUN TMC, right? I am not 100% sure, but the team as a whole was up near 130ppg and I don't think that style of BBall is even played anymore so it probably wont be done anytime soon.

Last edited:
ZeBo is just a bad guys to get as an overall package! Sure he is putting up great numbers but trouble has followed hm where ever he goes!

I would much rather get someone like Nene!

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
ZBo would stick out like a sore thumb in Sacramento. He can be reckless in Memphis and still be "a good guy." Seriously though, I get that Randolph would put up points and grab boards, but we really need to start looking at fit with any free agents we bring in. From what I can see, that's glue guys, dirty work guys, not players that command the ball everytime down the court.

Now Nêne would be interesting...new thread?

I'm on board with taking a look at big Zbo I think he has finally matured enough that all the other off the court issues shouldn't over look his game. The man is a beast on the glass and has a smooth offensive game and with our cap situation we can afford to over spend to bring in top talent for our weakest position. If we let Landry walk and resign Sammy D we would have a even stronger front court than we do now on paper and on the court. I can only think of 3 Pfs better than him as well...

My only concern is that he has never been apart of a winning team in his career except early in his Jailblazer days.