Zach Randolph signs with Kings

No thread for this guy but I'm seeing twitter chatter today and I have to say I would think it is a coup. He's a perfect Joerger grit n grind disciple. He can mentor and make way for Skal eventually. He can be the goon when you need one since we don't have Matt anymore.

I imagine some fans will have a concern that he takes minutes from Skal but I think in the big picture Skal is not ready to be the featured piece starting PF on a team yet... little skinny, little unseasoned.

I like Zach better than any of the other usual suspects I'm seeing threads about.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd be fine with Randolph. He's not going to stretch the floor, but he's a good post defender and a good rebounder. He's at that stage of his career where 25 or less minutes a game would be fine with him, and he would be a good mentor for Skal. It would depend on how much he would cost, and for how many years. Another guy I'd be interested in of similar ilk is Taj Gibson.

I'd be fine with Randolph. He's not going to stretch the floor, but he's a good post defender and a good rebounder. He's at that stage of his career where 25 or less minutes a game would be fine with him, and he would be a good mentor for Skal. It would depend on how much he would cost, and for how many years. Another guy I'd be interested in of similar ilk is Taj Gibson.
I agree here, Randolph would be great in a overpriced three year agreement with the third year a team option, I also wouldn't mind Gibson here either
One additional comment, I think of all the posters on this site over the years Bajaden has most consistently provided me the best insight especially about College players. thank you Baja

If we sign Randolph I will give up to understand what this FO is trying to accomplish. One of the most valid reasons for the DMC trade from my point of view was, that they wanted to turn this team into an uptempo team, which are currently en vogue. Last years and this years draft supported that viewpoint. We are stacked with fast, athletic players with some positional versatility.
In FA I expected the Kings to go after some athletic wings or a stretch 4 guy with good footspeed like Jamychal Green.
But Zbo? I love this guy. Great player and maybe a great mentor. But Zbo is pretty much an aging poor mans version of DMC.
I hope this is finally an offseason, where the Kings actually follow a well thought out vision. I don't think Zbo should be part of that vision.

If we sign Randolph I will give up to understand what this FO is trying to accomplish. One of the most valid reasons for the DMC trade from my point of view was, that they wanted to turn this team into an uptempo team, which are currently en vogue. Last years and this years draft supported that viewpoint. We are stacked with fast, athletic players with some positional versatility.
In FA I expected the Kings to go after some athletic wings or a stretch 4 guy with good footspeed like Jamychal Green.
But Zbo? I love this guy. Great player and maybe a great mentor. But Zbo is pretty much an aging poor mans version of DMC.
I hope this is finally an offseason, where the Kings actually follow a well thought out vision. I don't think Zbo should be part of that vision.
You want options.

What we don't have is a guy who can get you a bucket if the game slows down. Z-bo is great for that.

You want options.

What we don't have is a guy who can get you a bucket if the game slows down. Z-bo is great for that.
Doesn't make an aweful lot of sense.
We aren't in any sort or form a team capable of reaching the Playoffs, where the game slows down and players, who can get you a bucket, have more value.
We are at the very beginning of establishing a certain playstyle and before we even begin to establish it, we add a player as an "option" to play something different?
The best way to move forward for this team is to teach our young guards how to score and create offense in pretty much every possible way - in transition, in the halfcourt, in the pick&roll and so on.
The one thing we don't want them to do, is to hand the ball to an oldfashioned post up player and get out of the way to stand in the corner and wait for the kickout.
People often say, that this is a guards league now. We added 5 young guards to this roster. That was pretty much the whole purpose of this mess of a trade.
Now I hope the FO has the guts to stick to the plan and actually play the way this roster should be playing.
And that's fast and out of the pick&roll and not out of the post up.

I don't get the fit either. Fox will be at the other basket before Randolph makes it past half court. Randolph needs to go to a contender.
Agreed! I don't want to watch Zbo on a team most likely losing 50+ games. He doesn't deserve that. He gave Memphis everything he got. Now he should chase his ring. No shame in that.

Agreed! I don't want to watch Zbo on a team most likely losing 50+ games. He doesn't deserve that. He gave Memphis everything he got. Now he should chase his ring. No shame in that.
Zbo may want to set up his family for a few generations. In that case the Kings can pay more and I would like to see him in a Kings uniform in a bench role as 6th or 7th Man.

Just my opinion and my read and why I love Joerger... I think part of Joerger's philosophy is that when the other team tries to crash for an offensive board, you give em a hard shot in the ribs. Next time "he'll decide to get back on defense". Matt was one of those guys. We don't have another one of those guys. It ain't KK, it ain't Temple.

We've got nine children on the roster who are not etched in stone yet whether they are going to be badasses or sissies.

That's why I want him - for that Joerger hard nosed philosophy more than getting any buckets or dictating how we approach our offense. I just want some hard asses around and he seems like a good one for that.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Zbo may want to set up his family for a few generations. In that case the Kings can pay more and I would like to see him in a Kings uniform in a bench role as 6th or 7th Man.

Randolph has made 175 million in his career. Unless he's paying fortune 500 salaries to his family, I think they're plenty comfortable.

Doesn't make an aweful lot of sense.
We aren't in any sort or form a team capable of reaching the Playoffs, where the game slows down and players, who can get you a bucket, have more value.
We are at the very beginning of establishing a certain playstyle and before we even begin to establish it, we add a player as an "option" to play something different?
The best way to move forward for this team is to teach our young guards how to score and create offense in pretty much every possible way - in transition, in the halfcourt, in the pick&roll and so on.
The one thing we don't want them to do, is to hand the ball to an oldfashioned post up player and get out of the way to stand in the corner and wait for the kickout.
People often say, that this is a guards league now. We added 5 young guards to this roster. That was pretty much the whole purpose of this mess of a trade.
Now I hope the FO has the guts to stick to the plan and actually play the way this roster should be playing.
And that's fast and out of the pick&roll and not out of the post up.
You want him to teach other guys how to do that too.

You want him to teach other guys how to do that too.
There is not much Zbo can teach WCS or Skal. None of those guys will ever be able to play like Zbo. Yes he could teach them the little things, like John Galt already mentioned, but that's it.
WCS and Skal are light, explosive and mobile bigs. Zbo made a career out of being a heavy guy able to push people around and always had to play around his lack of explosiveness. You want a role model for Skal - go sign KG as an assistent.
You want more toughness. Go make an offer to Jamychal Green.

So basically since we are going to lose a lot we don't deserve to have good FA's on our team.

Listen to yourself. You are arguing that talented players should not be on the Kings.
Yes I want one of my favourite players to play for something meaningful and not waste the last years of his career in a rebuild. Watching the Kings waste years of DMC's career is enough.
I want talented players on the Kings. But I want players that fit and that are part of the plan moving forward. Not Zbo as the fish out of the water between young guys, who run circles around him.

There is not much Zbo can teach WCS or Skal. None of those guys will ever be able to play like Zbo. Yes he could teach them the little things, like John Galt already mentioned, but that's it.
WCS and Skal are light, explosive and mobile bigs. Zbo made a career out of being a heavy guy able to push people around and always had to play around his lack of explosiveness. You want a role model for Skal - go sign KG as an assistent.

Yes I want one of my favourite players to play for something meaningful and not waste the last years of his career in a rebuild. Watching the Kings waste years of DMC's career is enough.
I want talented players on the Kings. But I want players that fit and that are part of the plan moving forward. Not Zbo as the fish out of the water between young guys, who run circles around him.

You're clearly just biased and it shows.

Good job ignoring everything else I wrote. Made me smile a bit to be accused to be biased by you out of all the persons on this board. ;)
Dude it's a Kings fan board. I am a Kings fan. Hellooooooooo.....

You however are a Zach Randolph fan and that's fine, you said that straight out. I'm not accusing you, just repeating what you said.

Dude it's a Kings fan board. I am a Kings fan. Hellooooooooo.....

You however are a Zach Randolph fan and that's fine, you said that straight out. I'm not accusing you, just repeating what you said.
After 4+ years on this board and almost 20 years of being a Kings Fan this is amusing to say the least.
I don't think discussing each others fandom will lead anywhere. I obviously interpret "being a fan" completely different.

After 4+ years on this board and almost 20 years of being a Kings Fan this is amusing to say the least.
I don't think discussing each others fandom will lead anywhere. I obviously interpret "being a fan" completely different.
14 yrs on this board and 32 years as a fan... since we're throwing stats around. But sure, let's not discuss each other's fandom.

14 yrs on this board and 32 years as a fan... since we're throwing stats around. But sure, let's not discuss each other's fandom.
And? Did I try to paint you as a "non Kings fan" or was it the other way round?
Honestly why is this discussion even heading in this direction? This is just fruitless and dull.

And? Did I try to paint you as a "non Kings fan" or was it the other way round?
Honestly why is this discussion even heading in this direction? This is just fruitless and dull.
I said your point about Randolph was not valid because you were arguing from the point of view of a Randolph fan as opposed to a Kings fan, on this subject at least, and you admitted as such. Not sure why you got so triggered though.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member

You ever stop to think that:

1) Maybe the coach has a style of play he's thinking of that he might actually work in? Maybe he would be part of the plan. Maybe you don't really know what the plan is and the coach and front office do?
2) You can't always run up the court. Sometimes you do need a big that can really bang.
3) Having the kids bang against him in practice every day might really be good for THEM?
4) Having a big that works well with the coach and is a good player might be a good thing when half the team is in the NBA equivalent of kindergarten?

gunks

Hall of Famer
I like this Z Bo idea.

If I'm him, I ring chase. But hey, if he wants to play for Joerger again and help coach up the kids, I wouldn't mind a bit.

1) Maybe the coach has a style of play he's thinking of that he might actually work in? Maybe he would be part of the plan. Maybe you don't really know what the plan is and the coach and front office do?
2) You can't always run up the court. Sometimes you do need a big that can really bang.
3) Having the kids bang against him in practice every day might really be good for THEM?
4) Having a big that works well with the coach and is a good player might be a good thing when half the team is in the NBA equivalent of kindergarten?
But Zach deserves better.

1) See my first post on the topic. I wrote "I give up to try to understand, what the FO is trying to accomplish". You know I assume basketball lifers have a plan in place, when making decisions. That doesn't mean I as a fan need to understand it right? And that also doesn't mean I necessarily need to agree with everything the FO or coach does or in this case is rumored to do, or else we could simply shut down this board and put up a gif with "In Vlade we trust! End of discussion!"
2) No. You need an offense capable of scoring against a set defense. That doesn't necessarily mean a big that can bang.
3) Can Zbo teach WCS some toughness? I think so and I agreed with John Galt, who made that point before.
4) Depends of what you are trying to accomplish.