Your TOP 3 Kings? Why?

OF ALL TIME

I'm 22 and really didn't start watching Kings till the year Jason Williams got drafted.

1. Doug Christie - He punched Fox, everything else is a given. DEFENSE and his game ritual saying hello to his family. Met him a couple times, this man is just coooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

[yt=Doug]hZWA5ygow5Q[/yt]

2. Jason Williams - Hit vlade in the face with a pass, very funny and shows how unpredictable and true his ball handling and passing is. Plus he's country, perfect for Sacramento cow bells. Plus he came out of retirement. TRUE HOOPER.

3. Spencer Hawes - In my opinion, I think he will be the star of this team :O
An American Dirk?? Maybe not, but possible, All I know he's a 7 footer that can shoot swiftly, and really isn't that soft. Only time will tell, but I do see him having more than a chance to take this team over as the primary low post threat. Westphal says he expects more low post moves out of him.If he masters that, his jump shot will be the least of the defenses worries.

[yt=Spencer]ySN8PViMum[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I moved your thread here to Kings Rap and fixed your YouTube stuff. You might want to check the Tips for Posting - Bricklayer explains how to do the YouTube stuff.

#1: Mitch Richmond - Played at a high level for a long time. If it werent for Jordan Richmond would have been the best player at his position for a few years.
#2: Chris Webber - Pre-injury Webber was arguably the best player at his position in the league. He was a 25&12 guy. His combination of size and athleticism was unprecidented. He did a reverse dunk on a putback.
#3: Kevin Martin - Maybe im missing someone but the fact is Martin is one of the biggest offensive weapons in the game. He can flat out shoot the ball and is already an expert at drawing fouls. Reminds me a little of Reggie Miller as far as offense goes. His defense needs work but he has the size and quickness to be atleast a decent defender.

#1: Mitch Richmond - Played at a high level for a long time. If it werent for Jordan Richmond would have been the best player at his position for a few years.
#2: Chris Webber - Pre-injury Webber was arguably the best player at his position in the league. He was a 25&12 guy. His combination of size and athleticism was unprecidented. He did a reverse dunk on a putback.
#3: Kevin Martin - Maybe im missing someone but the fact is Martin is one of the biggest offensive weapons in the game. He can flat out shoot the ball and is already an expert at drawing fouls. Reminds me a little of Reggie Miller as far as offense goes. His defense needs work but he has the size and quickness to be atleast a decent defender.
Couldn't have said it better. I'll give Mike Bibby the honorable mention.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I assume you meant Sacramento Kings 'cause if you go Kings all time that has to go back to the Cincy Royals and the Big-O and the KC Kings bunch with Nate Archibald. Both were All-Stars.

As to Sacramento era Kings, gotta go with
1. Mitch
2. Vlade
3. CWebb

Kevin is in that company but his best may be coming in next 2 years so will hold on him for now. Love Kevin 100% for sure.

1. Jason Williams....I was 11 when he was drafted and honestly, his play with the Kings changed my life forever. It got me into basketball and sports, helping me develop into the person I am today.

2. Chris Webber....'Nuff said.

3. Jason Thompson......The kid plays with so much heart its hard not to root for him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1. Vlade - On and off the court, Vlade Divac is a class act. Without him, the TEAM simply would never have come to be.
2. Chris Webber - Just no way I could have a list like this without him.
3. Doug Christie - He was the teammate you can only hope for if you're the first two. His heart and hustle and dedication to the team AND the fans is legendary.

Honorable mention to Kevin Martin.

1.) Webber - same reasons as all those above.
2.) Bobby Jackson - I just loved watching him play...I've always been partial to guys that bring great energy off the bench.
3.) Vlade - class act, great court awareness, etc.

Honorable mention to Mitch

K

Kingsguy881

1. Webb - because who really did as much for the Sacramento Kings. He put the city and the team on the map with his star power.
2. Christie - he played with all out heart and aggression, he wore it on his sleeve, and he was the ultimate perimeter defender, a cleaner version of Bowen but just as tough.
3. Mitch - he was the 'rock' of the franchise through the worst of the worst, 27, 25, 31 win teams. Plain horrible, NBA Siberia. Yet he grabbed his lunch pail, put on his hard hat and went to work EVERY single night. The anti-Brandon Marshall, he never said a negative thing.

Shout outs to Mike Bibby, Corliss Williamson, LaSalle Thompson, Reggie Theus, the L-Train, Wayman Tisdale, and the ambassador, Vlade.

1. Peja Stojakovic - The only guy wearing a Kings uniform that I have ever felt comfortable holding the ball in the waining seconds of a game.

2. Chris Webber - Everytime I see his face in those WCF and how happy and sad he would look in certain situations I choke up. It reminds me of how much he actually cared for this team.

3. Doug Christie - Outside of the Kings circle, he is never really elevated to the star repuation that he deserved. Did his job, did it damn well, and never complained.

Honorable mentions - Bobby Jackson, Kevin Martin, and Mike Bibby

Its really hard for me to rate a "top 3". I honestly care about them all on a equal level.

K

Kingsguy881

1. Peja Stojakovic - The only guy wearing a Kings uniform that I have ever felt comfortable holding the ball in the waining seconds of a game.

2. Chris Webber - Everytime I see his face in those WCF and how happy and sad he would look in certain situations I choke up. It reminds me of how much he actually cared for this team.

3. Doug Christie - Outside of the Kings circle, he is never really elevated to the star repuation that he deserved. Did his job, did it damn well, and never complained.

Honorable mentions - Bobby Jackson, Kevin Martin, and Mike Bibby

Its really hard for me to rate a "top 3". I honestly care about them all on a equal level.
<Disclaimer: I'm sorry, I have to take this shot.>

You mean, so he can throw up an airball at a crucial moment? When did Peja ever do something positive at the end of a game? <edit: Besides making his free throws>

Mike Bibby was probably the most clutch King of the past decade easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AriesMar27

1-webber... for obvious reasons, he was the most talented player to ever wear a sacramento kings jersey.

2-bibby... he was the only king with a killer instict. he lived to take shots under pressure.

3-peja/kevin... peja wasnt very clutch but for some reason he and bibby owned the mavs i dont know how he did it but he could guard anyone on the mavs. martin, when healthy can light it up like no one on this team could in recent kings history. he can get to the freethrow line almost at will, if we had a player like him back in 2002 maybe we would have beaten the lakers or in 2003 we couldve beaten the mavs without webber.

<Disclaimer: I'm sorry, I have to take this shot.>

You mean, so he can throw up an airball at a crucial moment? When did Peja ever do something positive at the end of a game? <edit: Besides making his free throws>

Mike Bibby was probably the most clutch King of the past decade easily.
I don't care. He was the guy I wanted to have the ball. Whether it was an airball or not a miss is a miss. An airball doesn't make him any worse of clutch shooter. If you check the stats I'm pretty sure they would tell you that Peja's game winner percentage would far exceed Bibby's. The reason you might think otherwise is because Bibby was always the guy taking the shot. And when it wasn't him, it was Webber, the star. Actually typing this up brings vivid memories of our team losing games on last second shots and me yelling at the screen "WHY DIDNT YOU GIVE THE BALL TO PEJA!" Peja was the best shooter, and in my mind the ball goes to the best shooter in the clutch... (unless you have Quincy Douby on your roster, in that case it would be better to just walk out of bounds).

Edit: Oh yeah, I think I get where your coming from. When I mean clutch, I'm talking about a drawn up play for the win should have always gone to Peja. If your talking about clutch as in the last 5 minutes of a game...let Bibby just do the work.

Last edited:
1. Vlade Divac - Everyone has already said all that could be said and so well deserved.

2. Reggie Theus - The stats speak for themselves and his charisma captured fans from day one as Kings franchise arrived in town in 1985.

3. Chris Webber - Finally grew up in SacTown and ignited in tandem what Vlade started.

A couple honorable mentions - Doug Christie, Mitch Richmond.

1. Cwebb - our Franchise

2. Kmart - work ethic and talent

3. JT I wanted the kings to get this kid since the first time I saw him play. hes a future beast a taller more talented David West.

it has been a while since i visited kfans been busy with school :p... took me a long time but im graduating by the end of this school year...

any ways

fave kings

1. Peja: Outside Webber he was one of our potent offensive scorer.. had his best years here esp that time when he finished fourth in the MVP... 24.2 points something, his jumpshot and movement with out the ball is so fun to watch, an underrated defender too.. i remember that match against dallas... he gave nash a hard time, and (i dont remember who the other guy was but i think it was finley or dirk) but he did great defensively in those moments...

2. Vlade The glue of the team 02-03...some people look at just stats and say meh he isnt that spectacular... but Vlade brought something to the kings that still lingers to some kfans till this day great leader, and arguably one of the best passing bigmen out there. if that nba asia challenge is done... i may have missed my chance to meet a king

3. Doug Christie. His toughness, and his defense.. Loved how he brought the intangibles to the team, also he is the BEST defender the kings had in quite a long time... and we all know how kings and defense usually dont mix

1. Tyreke Evans - Based on the fact that he could be the best player since Chris Webber to wear purple.
2. Bobby Jackson - Doesn't play basketball without understanding how to play and when to turn on the jets. High IQ
3. Webber/Vlade - They were retired together, why not group them here too.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Since I believe this is suspossed to be my all time favorites and not who I think was the best, which would be different for me, here goes.

Otis Thorpe: Terrific basketball player that wasn't allowed to do his thing for the Kings long enough. Besides, I played golf right behind him at Auburn Valley Country Club one day and he was one of the funniest guys I've ever met. Just watching him swing a club was worth the price of addmission.

Vlade: As stated by someone else. He was the glue that held the team together. He is the classiest person to ever don a Kings uniform. He wasn't a bad player either..

Spud Webb: The little train that could. He didn't make the team a winner, but he was a lot of fun to watch. And, besides, he did have a good golf swing.

Honorable mention goes to: Lionel Simmons, Scott Pollard, J. Will, C. Webb, and Jon Barry.....

K

Kingsguy881

Since I believe this is suspossed to be my all time favorites and not who I think was the best, which would be different for me, here goes.

Otis Thorpe: Terrific basketball player that wasn't allowed to do his thing for the Kings long enough. Besides, I played golf right behind him at Auburn Valley Country Club one day and he was one of the funniest guys I've ever met. Just watching him swing a club was worth the price of addmission.

Vlade: As stated by someone else. He was the glue that held the team together. He is the classiest person to ever don a Kings uniform. He wasn't a bad player either..

Spud Webb: The little train that could. He didn't make the team a winner, but he was a lot of fun to watch. And, besides, he did have a good golf swing.

Honorable mention goes to: Lionel Simmons, Scott Pollard, J. Will, C. Webb, and Jon Barry.....
I knew I liked you for a reason....I took Otis off my honorable mention list because he wasn't in a Kings uni for long enough, I felt. But man I loved that cat. He was as tough as nails yet a very nice and caring person. And he was a jokester. Him and Larry Drew and Mike Woodson and LaSalle. I put LaSalle because he was my favorite of all those guys, not to mention my neighbor growing up. ;)

My TOP 3....

1) Vlade - The heart of this franchise

2) C-Webb - The man amongst men

3) Mitch Richmond - He was the one who helped this team to get noticed in the 1990's

Too many honorable mentions. You know who they are!! ;)

1. Webber
2. Divac
3. Christy

Sorry Bibby, you were SO close to making #3.
...& for those of you that did not include the man directly below showing emotion in your list; 'tiss-tiss'.

1. chris webber
2. vlade divac
3. mike bibby

i've been a basketball fan my whole life. but, as a kid living in the sacramento-area, i had little interest in the losing ways of the kings. they just weren't any fun to watch. my dad was a state worker who would pool with fellow employees for season tickets to kings games, and they'd split them up according to the teams they wanted to see come into town. he took me to see the bulls play the kings once in the era of MJ. and i was pretty much a michael jordan worshipper up until his retirement at the end of the 90's, which was conveniently around the same time the kings started making some noise out west. with The Greatest gone from the game for good (lame un-retirement with the wizards aside), and the nba suffering through what would be a lockout-shortened season, i needed somewhere else to direct my nba fandom, and this brings us to the start of my story, and the player who will always hold the number one spot of my top three all-time favorite kings...

he was a pissed-off former wizard who played the power forward position, owned a regrettable inferiority complex, lacked discipline, and had no desire to play in sacramento initially, but managed to bring with him a charming smile and a chip on his shoulder. he also brought with him the best years of basketball the city of sacramento has ever known. of course, not without the help of another charming smile, though this one belonged to a player at the center position, with a last name that cannot be pronounced phonetically, who is remembered as one of the craftiest to ever play his position, the best to ever pass the ball at his position, and one of the most humble, good-humored, ambassadors the nba has ever had. these two players, named chris webber and vlade divac, found a new-school chemistry in the high and low posts that would challenge the old-school chemistry of other great power forward/center combos around the league, like tim duncan and david robinson, among others. chris webber and vlade divac helped to bring a showtime-quality back to a league that was sorely missing its golden years, and, with the help of a young, electric point guard named jason williams, a sturdy, top-notch wing defender named doug christie, and a sharp-shooting fellow-countryman of divac's named peja stojakovic, catapulted a dismal sacramento franchise into the spotlight for the first time in its history...

but the young, electric point guard was a bit of a loose-cannon. chris webber learned to discipline himself and tighten up the loose ends of his game. unfortunately, jason williams still had a long ways to go, and the rick adelman-led kings were seeking to compete right then and there, so geoff petrie, who had engineered the composition of this team from the ground-up, pulled off yet another coup in trading jason williams for mike bibby, a much more steady, ice-cold point guard. the last of his years in sacramento were mired in mediocrity on the court and team dime distraction off the court, but for a few brief moments, he was a heroic force on a team filled with heroic forces. he was instrumental in bringing the kings the closest they have ever come to winning a championship, and for that, i thank mike bibby, and feel he deserves the third spot of my top three all-time favorite kings...

its kind of fun to think about my time as a kings fan in my own kind of retrospect. i don't feel like i'm rewriting history, but its nice to return to the naive, hopeful eyes of a young basketball fan around the turn of the millenium. those were great years in my life, and the kings were right at the center of it, before the troubles of adolescence, expectations, college, financial difficulties, and eventual depression complicated things. inconveniently, the kings were collapsing at the same time i was, when i really needed them the most. having done a lot of growing up since then, and a lot of rising and falling of my own, i can say that i look forward to whatever rising and falling the kings experience this coming season and the seasons to follow...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1. chris webber
2. vlade divac
3. mike bibby

i've been a basketball fan my whole life. but, as a kid living in the sacramento-area, i had little interest in the losing ways of the kings. they just weren't any fun to watch. my dad was a state worker who would pool with fellow employees for season tickets to kings games, and they'd split them up according to the teams they wanted to see come into town. he took me to see the bulls play the kings once in the era of MJ. and i was pretty much a michael jordan worshipper up until his retirement at the end of the 90's, which was conveniently around the same time the kings started making some noise out west. with The Greatest gone from the game for good (lame un-retirement with the wizards aside), and the nba suffering through what would be a lockout-shortened season, i needed somewhere else to direct my nba fandom, and this brings us to the start of my story, and the player who will always hold the number one spot of my top three all-time favorite kings...

he was a pissed-off former wizard who played the power forward position, owned a regrettable inferiority complex, lacked discipline, and had no desire to play in sacramento initially, but managed to bring with him a charming smile and a chip on his shoulder. he also brought with him the best years of basketball the city of sacramento has ever known. of course, not without the help of another charming smile, though this one belonged to a player at the center position, with a last name that cannot be pronounced phonetically, who is remembered as one of the craftiest to ever play his position, the best to ever pass the ball at his position, and one of the most humble, good-humored, ambassadors the nba has ever had. these two players, named chris webber and vlade divac, found a new-school chemistry in the high and low posts that would challenge the old-school chemistry of other great power forward/center combos around the league, like tim duncan and david robinson, among others. chris webber and vlade divac helped to bring a showtime-quality back to a league that was sorely missing its golden years, and, with the help of a young, electric point guard named jason williams, a sturdy, top-notch wing defender named doug christie, and a sharp-shooting fellow-countryman of divac's named peja stojakovic, catapulted a dismal sacramento franchise into the spotlight for the first time in its history...

but the young, electric point guard was a bit of a loose-cannon. chris webber learned to discipline himself and tighten up the loose ends of his game. unfortunately, jason williams still had a long ways to go, and the rick adelman-led kings were seeking to compete right then and there, so geoff petrie, who had engineered the composition of this team from the ground-up, pulled off yet another coup in trading jason williams for mike bibby, a much more steady, ice-cold point guard. the last of his years in sacramento were mired in mediocrity on the court and team dime distraction off the court, but for a few brief moments, he was a heroic force on a team filled with heroic forces. he was instrumental in bringing the kings the closest they have ever come to winning a championship, and for that, i thank mike bibby, and feel he deserves the third spot of my top three all-time favorite kings...

its kind of fun to think about my time as a kings fan in my own kind of retrospect. i don't feel like i'm rewriting history, but its nice to return to the naive, hopeful eyes of a young basketball fan around the turn of the millenium. those were great years in my life, and the kings were right at the center of it, before the troubles of adolescence, expectations, college, financial difficulties, and eventual depression complicated things. inconveniently, the kings were collapsing at the same time i was, when i really needed them the most. having done a lot of growing up since then, and a lot of rising and falling of my own, i can say that i look forward to whatever rising and falling the kings experience this coming season and the seasons to follow...
Very nice write-up, Padrino. People who didn't actually live through those times cannot possibly understand the feelings, but you've given them a starting point.

:)