Your Starting 5

pick the other 4

• Total voters
It will be interesting to see who wins the starting PF position. Both JT and PPat are good. JT has more athleticism while PPat has more range. I think because our center is so good, PPat will eventually start; however, I think JT is the better player because of his unlimited energy.

PG - Vasquez
SG - MLM
SF - Salmons
PF - Thompson
C - Cousins

Patterson, MT, IT and Luc are the primary guys off the bench. That's 9 deep and that's as far as we go on normal nights.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Who is Mbop? And Hayes is the primary backup for Cuz.
Normally for Hayes, but if you started him I imagine JT would be the backup C. However since JT is probably not only the best overall player of the group, but the one who has worked best with Cousins for several years now, seems a lot of trouble for relatively little payoff.

Starters:

Vasquez
McLemore
Patterson
Thompson
Cousins
So you've got P-Pat starting along with Thompson. That's an interesting idea that I haven't heard any discussion of. If a guy is a "stretch 4", you'd think he could play 3 just fine in many situations. And if he's one of your best players, maybe it makes sense?

Essentially Patterson is not a power forward or a small forward. He's just a forward. Why does a forward always have an extra name attached to it these days?

So you've got P-Pat starting along with Thompson. That's an interesting idea that I haven't heard any discussion of. If a guy is a "stretch 4", you'd think he could play 3 just fine in many situations. And if he's one of your best players, maybe it makes sense?

Essentially Patterson is not a power forward or a small forward. He's just a forward. Why does a forward always have an extra name attached to it these days?
He doesn't have the mobility or quickness to play SF. You seriously want Patrick Patterson to be guarding Lebron, Durant, Paul Pierce, Iggy, Carmelo, Josh Smith etc? Just because a big guy can shoot doesn't mean he can play the 3. And this is just on the defensive end ... let's not even talk about the ballhandling aspect.

I went with Vasquez, McLemore, Salmons, Patterson and Boogie. Why? Well, our first scoring option will be Boogie and I believe we'll utilize his skill at best with good spacing and a PG who makes good decisions in a P&R. Spacing the floor is key for him to be a factor in the post. If you double on Boogie, you'll have decent/good shooters around the threepointline to kick it out to.

IT will probably be our first offensive option off the bench, with a Nate Robinson kinda role. And I think he's perfectly suited for that role(see the GSW game). Add Thornton to that mix alongside Mbop(love that nickname), JT and Chuck.

(Sigh). With this roster, there's no right answer. Really, right now I see players 2-10 as about even, with Jimmer and Hayes the only two not possible starters. Cousins is the only NBA caliber starter we currently have. The rest are bench/role players. Scratch that, there are guys that could be your 4 or 5th starter. But there is no #2 talent. And really no #3. Sorry IT and Thornton, there are two ends of the basketball court.

malone is an extremely difficult position, cause he has a bunch of avg talent, none of which should be starters. But someone has to start.

Isaiah is probably #2 behind cousins at this moment, but he's better as a 6th man, since he refuses to be a PG. Mclemore should become the starter at some point, and I wouldn't be suprised to see him get more mins than thornton even if he starts. Thornton does nothing but take shots.

Mbah a Moute isn't ready to play. I wonder if that knee will ever be better.

C

Cold

My starting 5 is Vasquez - McLemore - Patterson at SF - Thompson - Cousins.

I think Patterson is better off in the starting 5 to give the starters better spacing. McLemore needs to start and work through his struggles. Kings need to make it clear that they intend on developing McLemore.

He doesn't have the mobility or quickness to play SF. You seriously want Patrick Patterson to be guarding Lebron, Durant, Paul Pierce, Iggy, Carmelo, Josh Smith etc? Just because a big guy can shoot doesn't mean he can play the 3. And this is just on the defensive end ... let's not even talk about the ballhandling aspect.
Yes, actually. I would rather have him guarding Durant, Carmelo, Josh Smith, and at times James also. He can use his size, length, and strength against those player types. An advantage that he has, that Salmons for example in the same matchups.. would not have.

Then in certain matchups, if it's not working at the beginning of the game,.. make a quick sub, if there's someone on the bench who might fare better on a particular night

My starting five for Wednesday's opener and after? I've found my answer, leave it in Malone's good hands. He seems to be doing quite well and deserves the opportunity to do it without my help. May the trail of victories rise to meet coach Malone on this season's journey.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
3rd quarter team is what I want to see start, at least unutl Mbah is good to go.:

PG: Vasquez
SG: Thornton
SF: Outlaw
PF: Ppat
C: DeMarcus
Actually, you posted the starting five I would start. However I think the starting five will have Salmons at the three instead of Outlaw.

C

Cold

Please don't start IT. Bring him off the bench and let him be the spark plug and create for himself and others , similar to what Chicago did with Nate Robinson and Philly with Lou Williams. Very difficult to be a successful basketball team being led by a diminutive PG. Not that it has never been done, but the odds aren't good.

I put:

GV
Thornton
Outlaw
Ppat
Cuz

With the thought that PDA and Malone are both on board with the plan of trading Thornton at some point, perhaps packaged with Salmons expiring, to bring back nice piece. You want to showcase Thornton a bit, but it's ok because it gives McLemore a bit of time to adjust. I do think McLemore could easily start, and from a purely basketball point of view, that's the right choice, but from a strategic point of view, starting Thornton and giving him minutes makes sense. That's the long term view in action, and it's great to have the whole front office and the coach totally on the same team. That kind of leadership and organization is set by the owner. We have an amazing owner.

Vasquez
McLemore
Mbah a Moute
Patterson
Cousins

Vasquez over IT because IT looks for his own shot too much. McLemore over Thornton because Mclemore had a great preseason and his confidence is at a high right now. Mbah a Moute over Salmons purely for defense, although this one is interchangeable, at least for the beginning of the season.

Patterson over Thompson because we need better spacing if we go with my lineup. PF is a good spot for us, interchangeable, and whoever starts can get in foul trouble and we throw the other in and are still in good shape.

And finally, Cousins is obviously a no-brainer.

I'm definitely ready for Denver!!!

My suggestion against Denver is: V, Salmons, Outlaw, JT, Cuz.
My guess at who Malone will start is: V, MT, Outlaw, PPat, Cuz.

Denver's guard starters will allow Malone to start Thornton and the front line will require him to start Outlaw.

Quick, post this before the wind blows the sand again.

K

KingMilz

My suggestion against Denver is: V, Salmons, Outlaw, JT, Cuz.
My guess at who Malone will start is: V, MT, Outlaw, PPat, Cuz.
Imo against Denver were better off starting Mclemore because he will be going up against Randy Foye(very average defender) a guy he can easily shoot over and has a massive length/size advantage over without giving up to much speed.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Is Malone going to name a starting 5 before Wednesday? Will this be an ongoing thing much like Smart did? Maybe the analytics will figure out who is best to start and who is best off the bench and what combos work best in each situation.

I had one report saying Malone will iron out rotations/roles with the players tomorrow, but he says players should have a clear idea of where he is going anyway. Two things we know, Cousins starts and McLemore will come off the bench.

My guess is Vasquez, Thornton, Salmons, Pat, Cuz starters.

At the moment, i've got it like this on current form -

GV
Jimmer
Outlaw
P Patt
Cousins

I seriously feel Thomas has been our #1 PG so far, but he's been such an incredible 6th Man, i'm hesitant to start him.

Thornton will probably start at SG over Jimmer or B Mac, but that's purely experience, as Jimmer has been our strongest SG overall so far. Who do I WANT to start? B Mac.

Outlaw has had a very nice pre season for what we expected going in (Which was nothing). With Luc still not 100%, i'm going Outlaw over Salmons.

P Patt has been excellent in the Pre-Season. Cousins + P Patt is a combination that WORKS. Worked at Kentucky, works in Sac. This lineup has the perimeter skills to open it wide for Boogie.

What I think the starting 5 will be against Denver
C: Cousins
PF: Patterson
SF: Salmons

What I would like to see
C: Cousins
PF: Thompson
SF: Mbah a Moute

McLemore is a great talent with one year of experience past high school. Don't rush him into starting. Thornton should start for now.
GV is a dependable player. IT can be the instigator.
The 3 is still troublesome. Start Salmons and then see if Outlaw is having a decent night or not.
Thompson has earned the right ot start, PP is a capable back-up. I can't see Hayes at the 4.

Start Patterson/Salmons/Thornton and you've got a size mismatch at these positions almost every night. I'm apprehensive about conceding that much size every game.