Your Picks: #1-#6-Who do you want?

Different kind of player than Smith. I think Smith is a better athlete, and that Monroe is more talented offensively, and probably a little bigger than Smith. But impact wise, you could be right.

Aside from the comparison, I thought Monroe made improvements on defense this season. He improved in his man defense and blocked more shots. Where he's at his weakest is when he asked to defend away from the basket. His lateral movement is poor at best, and his footwork needs improving in that area. I think he can be a decent defender, but never a great defender. He's just too limited by his lack of athleticism in that area. He did turn himself into a pretty good defensive rebounder though. Something like 6 out of every 9 rebounds he pulled down were defensive rebounds.

I've always had him projected as a PF. But after watching him play this season, I'm starting to believe that his best position may be the center position. Especially with the lack of overly tall centers in the league right now. I think it would be easier for him to defend the center positon at the next level, instead of getting stuck out on the floor trying to defend the Landry's and Millsaps of the world.
That's where I think the measurements come in. If he measures out like at least an average center he's a really nice prospect. As a PF I think he's almost useless. For some players you don't need to get that tied into it, but for him I think its huge.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
There's a lot of tough choices to make in selecting a top 6. The first one is guard or big man and the potential impact on the franchise is huge. It's most likely going to be settled for us by the lottery next week, but for the sake of building a top 6, let's say you go big man...

If you go with Favors or Cousins you're going to have a top level talent in the front court to compliment Tyreke. Even the choice between the two is going to lead you pretty strongly towards different styles of play: uptempo, open court, athletic playmaking with Favors or pound it inside, out muscle and/or intimidate the other team with Cousins. Cousins seems like a better fit with Tyreke -- you'd be well on your way to building the biggest, strongest team in the league. Favors looks like a good match because he's got a quiet, hardworking personality similar to Tyreke's. I can already picture him flying in for dunks and easy layups after the defense collapses on Tyreke. Both look like pretty good options. I'd give the edge to Cousins at this point because of the size advantage and college production, but that may change by draft day after all the workouts. So at this point:

1. DeMarcus Cousins
2. Derrick Favors

But what if you decide to go guard instead? Wall is an amazing point guard prospect and most likely the best player in the draft this year. Without Tyreke, that's a no brainer #1 pick. With Tyreke at PG, Evan Turner looks like a too-good-to-be-true backcourt mate of the future. Remember that topic about who the ideal SG next to Tyreke would be? Some kind of a Doug Christie spawned hard working role player who can handle the ball and make plays but also accept the role of sidekick and devote himself to doing all the little things. That's Evan Turner. It's such a good fit in fact that I've already talked myself into passing on probably the best PG prospect I've ever seen and going with Turner at #1 instead.

Again, if we don't have Tyreke it's different. On a level playign field, Wall's athelticism and age make him the better #1 pick. Could we try to play both of them? Yes, but I don't think that would be ideal. Can we draft Wall anyway and then trade Wall or Tyreke to the highest bidder for a star big man? That's an option too but you're now subject to juggling what other teams want and what they have to give. I don't like that much risk. Minnesota already shot themselves in the foot with Rubio. If they draft Wall now, Rubio's apparent trade value is going to nosedive even further. I'd prefer we avoid that type of situation. So if we're drafting a guard it looks like this:

1. Evan Turner
2. John Wall

So which is it going to be? Guard or big man? Is there a bigger choice than that for the future of this franchise? Obviously free agency has to be a consideration as well. It's obviously easier to find a future backcourt mate for Reke than to find a franchise quality big man through free agency. But is it really easier to find a better fit than Evan Turner? Brandon Roy is the only guy that comes close and his "Top Dog" status is pretty much solidified at this point. That's what makes it such a tough choice for me. Ultimately I don't think I can answer that question right now, so I'm going to take the easy way out:

1(a). Evan Turner
1(b). DeMarcus Cousins
2(a). John Wall
2(b). Derrick Favors

As for 5 and 6...I think one thing we're mostly in agreement about, regardless of how we choose to rank 1-4 is that picks at 5 and 6 need to be BPA no matter what. The likelihood of landing an All-Star talent at 5 or 6 is so much lower that you've got to take what the draft gives you. At this point I'm thinking Wesley Johnson and Al-Faroug Aminu are my 5 and 6 picks in that order but I'd give strong consideration to Ed Davis and Hassan Whiteside. Aldrich or Udoh are safer picks in the sense that you already know what you're getting with them, but I want to end up with the 5th or 6th best player in the draft at that point so I'm willing to reach a bit for the guys that I think have the most potential. That's not what Petrie would do, but it's my 1-6 right?

5. Wesley Johnson
6. Al Farouq Aminu

1. Turner
2. Wall
3. Cousins
4. Favors
5. Aldrich
Realizing that we just got the sixth pick, I put the gun to my temple, pull back the hammer and realize, Oh yeah, with the sixth pick we take Ekpe Udoh, thus saving my life and watching him outperform all the other rookies to get ROY next year.
Then I woke up. Please let us get one of the top four picks.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
hrdboild said:
So which is it going to be? Guard or big man? Is there a bigger choice than that for the future of this franchise? Obviously free agency has to be a consideration as well. It's obviously easier to find a future backcourt mate for Reke than to find a franchise quality big man through free agency.
I think this is a key point and needs to be given serious consideration. I wouldn't say that good SG's are a dime a dozen, but they're easier to replace than centers are. There are a few players that should go in the second round that may, could, should be better than Garcia in a couple of years. This years freeagent class is practically devoid of any good bigs once you elliminate the max contract guys. So any help in the way of signing a big man would most likely come in the way of a trade.

So if we end up with the first pick in the draft, the Kings FO will have some hard choices to make. They'll also have a lot of options too. Trading down for an extra pick and still picking in the top four might be one. I'll be glad when next tuesday has come and gone and we know were picking. Bonus number 2 next week is the beginning of the NBA combine.. Yi Pi!

1. Trade down for #3 or #4 pick since no question someone will be salivating desperate for John Wall or Evan Turner. If offer is not enticing enough draft Wall and trade him later - probably.

2. Assuming either of so-called prized picks, Wall or Turner is sitting here (duh!) look to trade down just like above or take one of them and trade later - probably.

3. DeMarcus Cousins - Kind of no brainer unless Favors prefered by GP.

4. Derrick Favors - By default most likely. Kings need to pick 1-2-3 or absolute worse case 4!

5. Wes Johnson - Gives me a headache thinking about it. I really don't know and don't want to have to consider it. Johnson is likely decent trade bait and probably has more upside than the other usual suspects.

6. Nightmare - NO!!! Cole Aldrich - NO!!! Hassan Whiteside - NO!!!

So which is it going to be? Guard or big man? Is there a bigger choice than that for the future of this franchise? Obviously free agency has to be a consideration as well. It's obviously easier to find a future backcourt mate for Reke than to find a franchise quality big man through free agency.

I’ve been waiting for someone to point this out in this thread. And finally, you did it for me.

I have a feeling that if we fail to acquire in this draft the defensive and physical BIG we want, next season all of us will be whining again and we will be reading again countless threads about how frustrated we are with our front court. It will be de javu. I hate to experience the same agony of watching our frontline struggle in defense again.

Of course, the notion of Wall and Turner being projected as future Superstars make the choosing between a guard and big man harder.

Realistically, what kind of a BIG can we get from free agency?

Amare Stoudamire?

Chris Bosh?

Carlos Boozer?

Darko Milicic?

And how much convincing and how much money are we going to overpay one of these “not-so-good in defense” BIGS to make him want to play in “cowtown”?

I think this draft is the best chance we have in getting that defensive BIG. I am willing to gamble on BPA-defensive BIG in this draft than watch the wussy Hawes fail again and again and/or see the seemingly cluless Petrie fill up the need with players like Sean May, Mikki Moore, and Armstrong again.

In order of preference: ( which may change of course after the combine and work-outs )

1. Cousins
2. Turner
3. Wall
4. Favors
5. Aldrich
6. Udoh

Last edited:
The trade idea is great. If I'm going to be honest I'll change my list every 15 mins or so. My lower placing of Wall was due to my faith in Tyreke and fear that they would not combine well for a backcourt. Here's what my list looks like as it sits-

1) Wall
2) Turner
3) Cousins
4) Aldrich
5) Favors
6) Aminu

Much more inline with most mock drafts now I know but I feel like those top picks can find a way to fit in, especially Turner.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I haven't posted because I still can't decide the order of my top four whatsoever. But 5 and 6 I think I know, so here goes:

1. Wall (preferably trade down 1-3 slots and get something nice on the side)
2. Cousins
3. Favors
4. Turner

5. Monroe
6. Aldrich

I've already listed my 6 (with Aldrich being 5, and Udoh being 6), but I have a question.

Why would you want Monroe anywhere near this team? I know that he's a perfect 'Petrie' player, but as much as that may be the case, I don't think there is any way that Petrie selects him, as he's from the cut of the old, and we're looking to forge a new identity with this team.

Greg Monroe Pros
1.) High Skill Level
2.) Great Passer
3.) Decent Post Play
4.) Has high BB IQ

Greg Monroe Cons
1.) Shorter than Hawes
2.) Not an explosive athlete (Though not a poor one, just average)
3) Not a dominate rebounder (Like Hawes)
4.) Not a good defender (Like Hawes) (But Monroe got better this year)
5.) Cannot use Right Hand in Post (Unlike Hawes)
6.) Does not have Turn-Around Fade-Away (Like Hawes)
7.) Doesn't have a good mid-range game or 3-pt game (Unlike Hawes)
8.) Turn-Over Prone
9.) Only 2 years younger than Hawes

I know this looks like a Monroe bashing, but the fact of the matter is that we have Spencer Hawes, and many of us are clamoring that Spencer Hawes is not good enough. Why would you want to select a player who 'may' be marginally better than what we have now, and who provides absolutely NONE of the things that our King's team needs?

If we drafted Monroe, I'm not even certain where he'd end up in the rotation.
JT is a better defender and a far better rebounder.
Hawes is better at spreading the floor, and is possibly a better rebounder, defender, and passer.
Landry is a far better post player and mid-range shooter.
So Monroe would be 4th in our big-man rotation?

I just don't understand it.

Ok, second point.

If we are not able to land Bosh this summer, then I'd save all my money and go after Kendrick Perkins. I've been saying it all year, but he's a FA after next year, and he would instantly make this team better due to his man defense. I wouldn't mind overpaying for him (and who knows, it might not be overpaying much after the new CBA). Boston will want to keep him, but he should be our primary target if we have the capspace.

So if we drafted Turner or Wall, and then managed to get Perkins after next year, we would be set.

So don't forget about Perkins when you start looking at available big men, as he's coming up after next year.

L

Lafayette

Wall then Turner and that's it but the chances of the Kings getting that lucky number 1 are slim because they just don't get that lucky.

I say draft Turner if you get the 2 and of course Wall at the 1 and try hard to sign Chris Bosh and if Dirk opts out go get him

PG: Evans/Wall
SG: Turner/Evans
SF: Greene
PF: Bosh
C: Hawes

Now thats a dream world I live in and I just got a call from Wade saying he's coming also.

1. Turner - He has all-star potential and would make the Kings' backcourt one of the best in the league.
2. Cousins - The idea of getting a legitimate center that "could" become a top 5 center in a few years intrigues me.
3. Favors - I like what he could become down the road, just feel he isn't as far along as Turner or Cousins.
4. Wall - He may be the most talented among this group, but I'm not sure if he is THAT much more talented. I also feel that he would be the worst fit for the Kings. I have always been BPA guy, but think you have to go after need when the talent is close.

5 & 6. I refuse to even think about picking here unless it somehow becomes a reality. We have had way more than our share of bad luck in the draft in the past. It is our turn to get lucky.