Yahoo: Three-way deal sending Nocioni to Celtics? (Yahoo! Sports)

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
The Philadelphia 76ers and Sacramento Kings were apparently discussing a deal that would send Samuel Dalembert...

More...

would be a bit sad to see Nocioni go, 'specially since Dalembert has a motivational prob...but the talent and need is there for a center like him...

While I was not a fan of Nocioni's contract when we first acquired him, he is one of the toughest, scrappiest guys we have, and he actually has skill and talent.

What Nocioni has cannot be taught, and I really think he should be here here for the next few years. Losing Nocioni in our lineup leaves a hole.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Huge contract and all, I like the idea of Okafor for Thomas more than the idea of Dalembert for Thomas.

I'm not quite sure what the appeal is in Dalembert+Giddens for Nocioni+Thomas, though. Obviously financial, but it's not like Boston can throw in a good pick, and I like Nocioni's scrap. I'd say his contract is eminently moveable, so why settle for what looks to be pennies on the dollar for Nocioni just as we're hitting our stride?

Plus, even if it's a financial move, it doesn't help our cap space until 2011, because Dalembert is bigger next year than Nocioni by about $6M. Shoot, the total savings is only about $3M over the life of the contracts...we save under $3M this year (because the salaries are prorated), we lose about $6M next year, we save about $6.6M the third year, and the fourth year would be a team option on Noc anyway. So we hurt our cap space in the best free agent year in memory (where we might otherwise land a second-tier guy) and give up a talented and scrappy player with a longish but reasonable contract for two years of Dalembert.

If you're going to kill the cap space anyway, hold on to the scrappy guy and give me five years of Okafor. Seriously.

Not gonna find a better big than Dalembert this offseason. Nor will you find anyone besides the top tier superstars to want to spend good money on. Look it up.

Further, you speak as if WE balked at okafor, when it could have been NO who just as easily wanted more than just cap relief for a 14/10/2 27 year old big. Ya think?

L

LWP777

Huge contract and all, I like the idea of Okafor for Thomas more than the idea of Dalembert for Thomas.

I'm not quite sure what the appeal is in Dalembert+Giddens for Nocioni+Thomas, though. Obviously financial, but it's not like Boston can throw in a good pick, and I like Nocioni's scrap. I'd say his contract is eminently moveable, so why settle for what looks to be pennies on the dollar for Nocioni just as we're hitting our stride?

Plus, even if it's a financial move, it doesn't help our cap space until 2011, because Dalembert is bigger next year than Nocioni by about $6M. Shoot, the total savings is only about $3M over the life of the contracts...we save under $3M this year (because the salaries are prorated), we lose about $6M next year, we save about $6.6M the third year, and the fourth year would be a team option on Noc anyway. So we hurt our cap space in the best free agent year in memory (where we might otherwise land a second-tier guy) and give up a talented and scrappy player with a longish but reasonable contract for two years of Dalembert.

If you're going to kill the cap space anyway, hold on to the scrappy guy and give me five years of Okafor. Seriously.
I agree. God please no Dalembert. I think Noc has been a big part of what we are doing right now. I don't really want to part with him at this point. I would consider a KT for Dalembert but I'd prefer Okafor instead.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This 1) would seem to really legitimize the idea we were talking Okafor; 2) and be very encouraging because it would seem that we are heavily in the market for that long LONG desired shotblocking/rebounding big. Halelujah and all that, although I am not sure I don't like Okafor more -- more importnat player to be sacrificing your cap room this summer for.

As an aside:

out
KT 8.55mil (ender)
Noc 7.5mil (4 seasons)

in
Dalembert 11.36 (2 seasons)
Giddens 1.03 (ender)

lose 4mil of cap room this summer, gain 7mil of cap room next summer.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

I agree. God please no Dalembert. I think Noc has been a big part of what we are doing right now. I don't really want to part with him at this point. I would consider a KT for Dalembert but I'd prefer Okafor instead.

We all along knew, or should have known, that SOMEBODY had to go out of Kevin/Noc/Cisco in order to clear the way for Casspi and Donte.

Bricklayer

It seems like we are involved in my trade discussions this year so far than years past. Am I imagining that or is it the case?
I think the prospect fo Evans being 'the man' and the corner being turned has got the front office excited for the first time in years and looking to make completing moves.

Last edited:
Trade offers getting a little better by day. This makes more sense than the Okafor trade and less financial risk.

Geoff of course is going to stay patient and wait a little longer until he sees the perfect gem for KT

Bricklayer

Trade offers getting a little better by day. This makes more sense than the Okafor trade and less financial risk.

Geoff of course is going to stay patient and wait a little longer until he sees the perfect gem for KT
That would be Geoff, but there aren't too many of this class of player, let alone ones available.

Also, we have a bit of a clock thing going here -- if this activity is us trying to patch our obvious interior defense hole so we can make a playoff run etc., then the sooner we make that deal to get that player in here + hopeully add wins, the better our chances of actually making the playoffs. If we wait two months or whatever, by the time we get that player it might be too late to make up the ground.

That would be Geoff, but there aren't too many of this class of player, let alone ones available.

Also, we have a bit of a clock thing going here -- if this activity is us trying to patch our obvious interior defense hole so we can make a playoff run etc., then the sooner we make that deal to get that player in here + hopeully add wins, the better our chances of actually making the playoffs. If we wait two months or whatever, by the time we get that player it might be too late to make up the ground.
Unless of course this team continues to band/bond together and they keep their head above water. It could happen. I, probably like many others are waiting for the drop off, thinking this can't continue, but what if it can...what if it does??

Is it just me or does this deal just suck? Why would we ever want Dalembert? This guy doesn't impress me at all, especially for the money he's making. My enthusiasm for this team and this season would diminish slightly if this deal was made.

L

LWP777

Is it just me or does this deal just suck? Why would we ever want Dalembert? This guy doesn't impress me at all, especially for the money he's making. My enthusiasm for this team and this season would diminish slightly if this deal was made.

The guy is one of the best shot blockers in the NBA. He's averaged 2.0 blocks a game and roughly 8 rebounds his entire career in only 26 minutes of action. He would be a pretty good compliment to the JT/Hawes combo and he wouldn't require 40 minutes a game. Along with his 2 blocks he also changes numerous other attempts per game.

There is no doubt he is the defensive force we've been looking for. Now it's just a question of whether it's worth giving up Noc and our cap space this summer.

S

sactownfan

YES!!!!

not because of this deal but because this means that WE are not going to just sit on K9's ending deal, and also we will unload Noc before he's to old to get anything back...

I think alot of teams are interested in KT and some of the playoff/contenders are interested in Noc.... so these rumors should get those GM's cracking on sweeting the deal if they wanna be the ones to land either of these guys...

i like it!!!!

although i'd be down with this trade "as is" because Sam D. would provide about the same amount of pts Hawes is right now but would rebound and block shots at a much higher rate... which is what we need... and until Hawes gets that into his 3pt chucking head he can right the bench... plus it would clear more money in the future and would probably land us some picks late 1st or 2nd round...

Bricklayer

Unless of course this team continues to band/bond together and they keep their head above water. It could happen. I, probably like many others are waiting for the drop off, thinking this can't continue, but what if it can...what if it does??

Without the hole patched up front, the odds of it continuing are not high.

This move (and the Okafor rumor ) are fairly straightforward attempts to patch a gaping hole, and in this case trade away an asset at a position where we have too many bodies for an asset at a position where we are shallow. Not only can you not win consistently without interior defense, but right now we have no frontcourt depth in case of injury. There's actually kind of been a split developing here between the top teams, who are almsot all carrying three quality bigs, and and the lesser ones who are vulnerable up front. Bynum/Pau/Odom, garnett/Perkins/Wallace, Shaq/Big Z, Varejao, Nene/Martin/Birdman, Oden/Pryz/Aldridge etc.

And that's before we get to the obvious and continuing develop youth argument wiht Casspi and Donte coming around.

Last edited:
S

sactownfan

wow also this is front page news on ESPN'S nba page

and i forgot to include i love this deal... because Casspi and Green could be top notch players some day and need more playing time

Dalembert, 6'11", 28 years old.
Career Per 36 min avgs:
11 pts 11 rebs .6 ast .7 stl 2.7 blk

Okafor, 6'10", 27 years old.
Career Per 36 min avgs:
15 pts 11 rebs 1 ast .8 stl 2.0 blk

contract runs 3 years shorter, and he's a bit longer than Okafor, with a much higher rate of blocks.

It's a decent deal. I like it better than the Okafor because his contract is only 2 years and we get out of Nocioni's contract. Smart financially and his shot blocking is deffinately welcomed.

Bricklayer

I wonder how the Speights injury efffects this? Could have been started with them thinking that they just move Speights into the starting lineup, but now wiht him gone two months...would leave them pretty thing up front and very dependent on the washed up midget over at PF.

I think this is a fair deal - although a future 1st round draft pick from Philly would seal it for me...

I think Dalembert would give us an overpaid big body off the bench - but overpaid for only this year and next year he's an expiring. I honestly don't know what he'll bring though...last season he took a swan dive in production and this season looks no different.

However, the benefit is we have a legit (but not great) three-man big rotation, clear up the logjam at SF, and get more cap space in 2011. We're not winning a championship anytime soon, and this doesn't do any real LT damage, so I say go for it...just don't expect us to get a whole lot better.