Yahoo: Sources: Turkoglu longs for return to Kings (Yahoo! Sports)

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
After saying he no longer wants to play for the Raptors, Hedo Turkoglu has told friends he'd like to go back to Sacramento.

More...

L

LWP777

I really don't see how this can possibly work with Turkoglu's contract running 2 years longer (and more expensive) than Noc's contract not to mention he is slowing down very quickly.

trade him for noc, i feel like we could really use him at the 3 as the point forward. not saying that i want him as a king forever but i want our 3s to play like him. i want omri, cisco, and donte to model their games after him

no thanks. no offense to Turk, but we're getting younger not older. As someone else already stated, they'd need to take Noc back and give us some sort of other assets, like a first rounder

Terrible contract, but if anybody thinks this guy is slowing down they are crazy. I've never seen Hedo as a super atheltic type player, he's a heady smart guy who can run the team, produce at the 3, take the pressure off Reke with ball handling and knock down some big shots. I'd be all for bringing Hedo back somehow

are there enough minutes to go around for our developing SF's omri, donte? the turk meister has 4 years where noc only has 2 more years left on his contract. noc's expiring the following year will be a key chip in pulling assets in in trades if we seek them. Reke, Donte, Omri, JT, Mandry will need to be extended in the near future.

Keep in mind Hedo SIGNED a 5 year deal. We would be picking him up in year 2, making it a 4 year deal for us. 2 years longer than Nocioni.

And no, I wouldnt trade Nocioni for Hedo straight up. I doubt Petrie would either .. Toronto would obviously have to sweeten the deal for us. Derozan or there pick most likely ... I dont know If I would do this trade with Derozan, but that #13 pick looks nice. Right in that Aldrich/Whiteside range.

I think Hedo will have a much better year next year than he did this season. He also seems like a player who will age well .. never really counted on athleticism or motor, and those are the guys who are usually effective for a long time. I think thats why Nocioni declined so much. He used to be a scrappy guy who played in your face defense... he used to play inside ALOT more .. now he's older, and really just a 3pt shooter.

Hedo has so many skills. Passer, Ball handler .. high bball IQ .. those are the things that get better with age ... look at Nash. He gets smarter and smarter every year. Im not saying this coming season will be Hedo's best .. And Im sure he is on the decline, Im just saying I think he can and will still be effective for his entire contract.

I was in favor of taking a look at Hedo when he was a free agent, but he signed a much larger contract than I expected and we've since acquired two very nice small forward prospects. Given that Hedo's point forward skills could portentially be quite useful next to Tyreke, I'd still give him some thought, but at this point it'd probably have to be Nocioni AND Garcia going to Toronto to make it financially viable. Not sure if they'd be willing to make a "flexible contracts" type deal at this point.

Terrible contract, but if anybody thinks this guy is slowing down they are crazy. I've never seen Hedo as a super atheltic type player, he's a heady smart guy who can run the team, produce at the 3, take the pressure off Reke with ball handling and knock down some big shots. I'd be all for bringing Hedo back somehow
Agreed. I think this is more a case of a guy not fitting in with his current team as opposed to slowing down. Let's not forget how well he played in the playoffs last season. He's one of the main reasons Orlando got by Boston and Cleveland. If he's motivated and happy, he can play a role here.

The contract is a problem but the Kings payroll is so low, they are still below the minimum cap level. Even after acquiring him for Noc, they will still need to add salary just to get to the minimum level so economics isn't too big a factor.

His contract is too big, I like him, but that is how it is. The only way I am listening is if they offer us this years pick + next years pick unprotected. We both know they are lottery bound, this could be huge next year.

I want this years pick and next years pick. They also can have Nocioni, that way Hedo won't add to our SF logjam. Does Toronto have any big man we would want?

I want this years pick and next years pick. They also can have Nocioni, that way Hedo won't add to our SF logjam. Does Toronto have any big man we would want?
No, not really. Bargnani's worth a look, but he's not anything we need.

In my mind we need a veteran contributor, a very involved member of the team. Youth movement is great but we do need a good veteran who will play and I think Hedo would fit the bill. Our present threes are not good enough to hinder such a deal - keep the one of the three that shows the greatest upside and find another home for the other two. I'm not a GM and don't have any interest in it so I'll leave it to Petrie. Summer is upon us.

I don't see Toronto giving up their future in draft picks, and a very good player just to shave two years off of a bad contract by taking on Nocioni. As much as I would like it, i just don't see it.

I don't mind Turk's age to much because we are going to need veteran talent when we are making a run in the playoffs... whether or not i approve of a deal for him depends on when the franchise is ready to make some moves to put us back in that position. Next year or 2 years from now? Go for it... any more than that and I would have to pass.

In my mind we need a veteran contributor, a very involved member of the team. Youth movement is great but we do need a good veteran who will play and I think Hedo would fit the bill. Our present threes are not good enough to hinder such a deal - keep the one of the three that shows the greatest upside and find another home for the other two. I'm not a GM and don't have any interest in it so I'll leave it to Petrie. Summer is upon us.
Thats what I'm thinking as well we could def use his vet presence for a couple years as the team starts to grow and compete.

If this actually went down I'd be ecstatic from a fans perspective, he would be a nice piece to add for a guy like Cassipi to learn from as well.

Kings get : Turk + Bosh

raptors get: anything they want except Reke, up to and including our #5.

We do it to make ourselves instant contenders
Raptors do it to get rid of 2 guys who no longer want to be in Toronto (1 with a bad contract) and biuild towards the future.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't see Toronto giving up their future in draft picks, and a very good player just to shave two years off of a bad contract by taking on Nocioni. As much as I would like it, i just don't see it.
Nocioni is owed $13.5M. Turkoglu is owed $43.8M. That's not just shaving two years off a bad contract, it's knocking 69% off the total amount owed. And keep in mind that with the new CBA coming up, Hedo's contract could become even more of an albatross than it already is. If Toronto wants to get rid of the contract (and all signs point to "yes") then they're going to have to find some way to sweeten the pot.

If there were to be a Nocioni + #13 for Hedo trade, it would be a bad financial move for us, at least in the salary cap sense. The question is whether it's a good enough personnel move to justify it from our side.

But Toronto isn't likely to find any offers more favorable than that. Maybe, just maybe, there will be a team like Miami or New York that ends up unable to spend all its money in free agency and is willing to take on that contract. But barring that, I see Toronto's options as: 1) stick with a bad situation where both parties are already unhappy, 2) make a trade no more favorable than suggested above, or 3) buy Hedo out. How much would it cost to buy Hedo out? Can they afford to have the cost of his buyout on their cap with no player attached for four years? I doubt it. #2 seems most likely, and that means they'll probably have to dump a draft pick or two.

Nocioni is owed $13.5M. Turkoglu is owed $43.8M. That's not just shaving two years off a bad contract, it's knocking 69% off the total amount owed. And keep in mind that with the new CBA coming up, Hedo's contract could become even more of an albatross than it already is. If Toronto wants to get rid of the contract (and all signs point to "yes") then they're going to have to find some way to sweeten the pot.

If there were to be a Nocioni + #13 for Hedo trade, it would be a bad financial move for us, at least in the salary cap sense. The question is whether it's a good enough personnel move to justify it from our side.

But Toronto isn't likely to find any offers more favorable than that. Maybe, just maybe, there will be a team like Miami or New York that ends up unable to spend all its money in free agency and is willing to take on that contract. But barring that, I see Toronto's options as: 1) stick with a bad situation where both parties are already unhappy, 2) make a trade no more favorable than suggested above, or 3) buy Hedo out. How much would it cost to buy Hedo out? Can they afford to have the cost of his buyout on their cap with no player attached for four years? I doubt it. #2 seems most likely, and that means they'll probably have to dump a draft pick or two.
I'm just saying at this point Toronto doesn't have much cap space after resigning Bosh... and even if they don't sign him whoever they pick up in Fa isn't going to be better than Bosh. In my mind they have to clean house and start over and its very hard to do that if your giving up your draft picks in the process. I think Toronto is pretty much screwed for the next few years as far as legitimately rebuilding their way back into contention.

There is NO way GP would take on Turkoglu's contract. It is just too big.

Unless we got DeMar DeRozan, 2010 1st round and they took on Noch, I really don't see anything happening.

They are not going to buy out his contract...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You know I argued for considering Hedo a couple of years ago, and there is still something there -- nice guy versatile veteran with ballhandling skills to take heat off of Reke, obvious Kings ties to the golden years, and we have Noc as the expendable contract that could get it done.

But...too late for that Hedo -- you were an idiot last year, didn't come here, blew off your best shot in Portland. And now we have two young kids each of whom could be better than you by next year stacked at your position for a lot less than $33 million dollars.

If we didn't have two other guys stacked at PF (Landry, Thompson) we could maybe slide you there at times. If we didn't have our other tow big vet contracts trying to earn their deals at SG (Cisco, Beno) we could maybe slide you there. But with your big long term contract you make it impossible to take you on as anything but a major 25+ min contributor, which given those 6 returning players either squishes kids or takes minutes from our other vet contracts. The guy you would be replacing, Noc, ended up pinned to the bench with his big contract. Yours runs even longer.

All that said, you can never 100% say Petrie wouldn't so such a thing. Many many times throughout his history he has seemingly randomly (and stupidly) thrown veteran roadblocks down in the way of various kids we've had, and what the wave of Mikki Moors, Anthony Peelers, Jim Jacksons etc. were supposed to accomplish has never been clear. And I always thoguht Hedo remained persona grata around the front office. So you just never know.

You know I argued for considering Hedo a couple of years ago, and there is still something there -- nice guy versatile veteran with ballhandling skills to take heat off of Reke, obvious Kings ties to the golden years, and we have Noc as the expendable contract that could get it done.

But...too late for that Hedo -- you were an idiot last year, didn't come here, blew off your best shot in Portland. And now we have two young kids each of whom could be better than you by next year stacked at your position for a lot less than $33 million dollars.

If we didn't have two other guys stacked at PF (Landry, Thompson) we could maybe slide you there at times. If we didn't have our other tow big vet contracts trying to earn their deals at SG (Cisco, Beno) we could maybe slide you there. But with your big long term contract you make it impossible to take you on as anything but a major 25+ min contributor, which given those 6 returning players either squishes kids or takes minutes from our other vet contracts. The guy you would be replacing, Noc, ended up pinned to the bench with his big contract. Yours runs even longer.

All that said, you can never 100% say Petrie wouldn't so such a thing. Many many times throughout his history he has seemingly randomly (and stupidly) thrown veteran roadblocks down in the way of various kids we've had, and what the wave of Mikki Moors, Anthony Peelers, Jim Jacksons etc. were supposed to accomplish has never been clear. And I always thoguht Hedo remained persona grata around the front office. So you just never know.
Amen on all accounts.

Brick, his contract is actually 4 yeras, 44 million. The 13/14 season has a 12 million dollar player option. Look it up at hoopshype.com. He's just not good enough to command that much money for one, and for two, as you mentioned, we're not at the stage that we need vets.

Im thinking possibly a Francisco and nocioni deal for Hedo and if they wanna add a 1st round pick, that would be nice.
IMO, cisco alone can do what Hedo can do at this point in his career, and he's a better defender. So, I'm for letting Noc's deal take it's course instead of trading he and cisco. The raps pick 13th, right? I don't think that's worth taking on Hedo's deal.