Yahoo: Sacramento losing its Kings? (Yahoo! Sports)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
From an outsiders POV ( never been to Sac or Cali for that matter ) Why cant the kings move into an arena that already exists. Whats stopping them from moving into the arena in Anaheim for the time being until the economy gets better and arena can be built ( I know some here hate that idea, but what if its that or nothing ). There is NO way a new arena can be built with the economy how it is right now unless its privately funded .. its just not going to happen.

Also - do the kings have to file a movement claim if there moving within the same state?

Ive obviously never been to Arco, but is must be falling apart if it literally cannot hold events anymore .. something has to happen soon and I rather see the Kings stay in California than move anywhere else.
Arco isn't literally falling apart, it's just becoming inadequate for large-scale events. It is suboptimal to be sure, but don't get the idea that it is incapable of continuing to hold NBA games while a new arena is (hopefully!) being built. The fact that the NCAA refused to return the tourney to Arco reflects that suboptimality aspect -- not that the roof is falling in.

In any case, a temporary move makes pretty much no sense unless a new arena were to be built on the site of the current Arco, and it had to be torn down for construction, leaving us with no arena at all. Otherwise, why move temporarily?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm assuming this suggestion is based on two things: the example of the Hornets temporarily moving to OKC after Katrina and that a temporary move to Anaheim would still keep the Kings in California.

Problem is unlike the Hornets example, the "temp move" wouldn't be because of a natural disaster, but because Sacramento just couldn't get its crap together to find the funding, which kinda takes away the "helping out a neighbor until you're back on your feet" move.

And, I think more importantly, you may be forgetting just how big and regionally distinct California is. What you are suggesting is less like the Red Sox temporarily leaving Boston for New Bedford, and more like them leaving Boston for Atlanta.

A temporary move could work if it was to Stockton or something. But not the Bay and certainly not SoCal.
I guess people outside California just do not understand how deep the animosity goes between North and South...

I do not think the Kings will be moving temporarily. If they decide to move, it will be permanent. If they decide to stay, it will be with a long-term commitment to the city and the fans.

What I think will be key is how the fans respond to this new young team. If we can get out and support them, I think the Maloofs will be more inclined to be a little more patient. And don't get me wrong, I think they've already shown the patience of Job in dealing with the lunacy that makes up the majority of elected officials that have been involved in this mess.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'd still post on here, just not as a fan of the Kings...and we do have a few members who are on here that aren't Kings fans. Like I said earlier, I'm a raging Kings fan until the day they leave this city that I was born an raised in.

You are assuming there would continue to be a here. Its possible -- I do not know Jeremy's mind. But just as likely somebody in Kansas City, or Anaheim, or Vegas, or wherever the new local is, would step up and create their own new board.

I think we all know that this Cal Expo deal is mostly dead - IMO lots of us agreed it wasn't a good idea to even begin with, but hey, it was the cards we were dealt.

What worries me is how slow this city moves even when a plan is put into place. I've gotten hooked on following development projects over the last few years, and I must say, the pace in Sacramento - mainly the planning, reviewing, and revising - is not good for developers. This city's leaders review things to death, to the point that developers give up, move on, or a recession hits and they're not able to build. Historically, this has been a problem with the city and it continues to this day. Which is ultimately sad, because we have a truly beautiful city with a great layout - rivers, lakes, trees - great weather, and a great location (you're an hour and a half from internationally known destinations).

That being said, a development that requires both infrastructure and the building itself is next to impossible. I think our only hope is a last ditch effort by the city council to develop something in Natomas (next to the arena) or the Railyards (KJ's preference). Cal Expo is dead, pie in the sky, wouldn't even have worked 4 years ago when anything was seemingly possible. But the question is, can they get it done in 6 months? Unfortunately, that just isn't possible to the best of my knowledge.

I have a bad feeling that we're going to lose this team - publicly, I'll joke of SABOTAGE by the Maloofs, but honestly, I'll concede that everybody - but us diehard fans - are to blame. The Maloofs, to start, were very greedy with their initial negotiations in the Railyard development. Very greedy and not willing to negotiate. The city either didn't care (Heather Fargo) or moved at a bureaucratic pace. The people weren't willing to look past the Kings/Maloofs to see the economic/lifestyle/perception benefits to the city.

And at one point, I was one of those people. I thought Arco was fine, that Sacramento - as a mid-range city with a lot of blue collars - didn't need a fancy-shmancy arena with all the bells and whistles (and not to mention, a giant lower level and small upper deck design that modern arenas use = price out most fans). But over the years, the bones to Arco have started to show - and they're hollow. So I've been convinced - this baby is substandard.

So hey Maloofs, count me in - you want us to pay more sales tax? I'm in. Just keep my Kings in town.

Arco isn't literally falling apart, it's just becoming inadequate for large-scale events. It is suboptimal to be sure, but don't get the idea that it is incapable of continuing to hold NBA games while a new arena is (hopefully!) being built. The fact that the NCAA refused to return the tourney to Arco reflects that suboptimality aspect -- not that the roof is falling in.

In any case, a temporary move makes pretty much no sense unless a new arena were to be built on the site of the current Arco, and it had to be torn down for construction, leaving us with no arena at all. Otherwise, why move temporarily?
It's not literally about to fall apart, although this year it really looked shabby to my eye. I thought I heard that the roof was leaking, though. Replacing the roof would be a major expense and not worth it on an almost economically obsolete arena. Like putting lipstick on a pig. ;)

You are assuming there would continue to be a here. Its possible -- I do not know Jeremy's mind. But just as likely somebody in Kansas City, or Anaheim, or Vegas, or wherever the new local is, would step up and create their own new board.
I agree with your symantics. There probably would be a new regime that would start up another 'Kingsfans' or whatever other name the team might change to.

<tangent>I doubt that only long as the team name is kept Kings(domain name is kingsfans). Only thing would be a search and replace with the city name. Also being digital, you don't have to be local to host a good board. </tangent>

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
<tangent>I doubt that only long as the team name is kept Kings(domain name is kingsfans). Only thing would be a search and replace with the city name. Also being digital, you don't have to be local to host a good board. </tangent>

No you don't, but when you are a local, and your team leaves, and probably 75% of your board leaves to be replaced by peeps from another part of the country celebrating your team's departure, all your built up local connections are gone etc. etc...

Without knowing for sure, I would be surprised if the main Thunder boards are still hosted by Seattle locals.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'm not so conceited as to say that I know Jeremy's mind, but I'm betting that, if the Kings move, this board will drop dead, unless he can be convinced to sell it. But, as someone who's fandom has ****-all to do with the Kings being in Sacramento, I'll still follow the team wherever they end up.

When/if the Kings leave Sacramento, this city will have the dubious distinction of being the largest metro area without a pro sports team...pathetic...
According to wikipedia, the largest metropolitan area without a "major" pro sports team is the Inland Empire, which is roughly twice the size of Greater Sacramento. And, supposing, for the sake of argument, you completely no-sell Inland as a metropolitan area, then that would mean that currently the largest metropolitan area without a pro sports team is where I live, so pardon me if I'm unsympathetic.

Hey, maybe the Kings can move here! Maybe I'll buy the board! :D

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind if they joined the sharks at the pavillion. But if the Kings leave town, I doubt Sacramento will ever get them back. I know how it sounds, but this really is a cow town.