would we resign Chuck Hayes?

mr_jasonjones Jason Jones
Sounds like Kings players have been told Hayes will be joining the team again.
2 minutes ago
Jason Jones

Hayes is on his way home to Houston right now.
4 minutes ago
Jason Jones

Westphal says Chuck Hayes is due in Sacramento tomorrow....didn't say if it was re-sign with the Kings. Said team is thrilled about news
Please come back!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Sounds very good. Gee, we got a guy who wants to be here. Remarkable. :)

And thus hopefully ends a very bizarre sequence of events.

Considering our other options, if we're able to bring back Hayes with no hard-feelings, then this will be excellent news.

Then if our defense gets shredded, we're losing games, and are one of the worst defensive teams in the league, the FO can get legitimately blasted for making a poor personnel choice. If however, we're winning games, or at least not losing them due to being a bad defensive team, the FO can get legitimate praise for making a good personnel choice.

At least we won't have to just speculate on what may or may-not have happened with our interior defense.

I'm hoping that this will help us win games, but the only way to find out is to play some games.

Considering our other options, if we're able to bring back Hayes with no hard-feelings, then this will be excellent news.

Then if our defense gets shredded, we're losing games, and are one of the worst defensive teams in the league, the FO can get legitimately blasted for making a poor personnel choice. If however, we're winning games, or at least not losing them due to being a bad defensive team, the FO can get legitimate praise for making a good personnel choice.

At least we won't have to just speculate on what may or may-not have happened with our interior defense.

I'm hoping that this will help us win games, but the only way to find out is to play some games.
And without a training camp, it is going to take a few games before we see this team in any kind of solid form

And without a training camp, it is going to take a few games before we see this team in any kind of solid form
I agree. I guess I should have prefaced the 'losing games/winning games' being more of a mid-season thing than a first couple of weeks thing.
With the new roster, and having Hayes/Outlaw missing a lot of pre-season I don't expect this team to be clicking defensively for a while.
Hopefully they can do well enough in the early games to pull out the wins.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Well its not like the rest of the team has a month on them. chuck Hayes was there for 3 days. What did he mis 8 days of camp?? no big deal really. By the way i havent read all the post but Have I gotten any credit for asking this last night and then bam next morning it happens??

Well its not like the rest of the team has a month on them. chuck Hayes was there for 3 days. What did he mis 8 days of camp?? no big deal really. By the way i havent read all the post but Have I gotten any credit for asking this last night and then bam next morning it happens??
I found this note, I think it was for you:
Dear Entity,
Merry Christmas!
Enjoy Chuck Hayes, but do not expect any more Christmas miracles until next year.
-Santa

Hayes said he was distraught and confused when he didn?t pass the Kings? physical. He never contemplated retirement and wanted a second opinion. The Kings? medical staff recommended Hayes visit the Cleveland Clinic for further evaluation. He underwent CT scans, an EKG, an MRI and stress tests.?I?m not angry with Sac,? Hayes said. ?I feel like I owe it to them. They found something. They raised the concern. They pretty much helped me by sending me out here [to Cleveland]. They took my contract away, but they pretty much helped me by sending me out here.?

Hopefully Chuck stays. If he walks, I can't see how anyone could argue anything else. Last time I checked UC Davis, UCSF and Stanford had pretty good cardiologists.

No kidding. Only a few of the best medical facilities in ALL OF THE FREAKING WORLD. Jeez, somebody on the medical staff is going to get seriously chewed for this one.

I already liked Chuck Hayes a lot and now I like him even more. What a classy humble pro and just the kind of veteran we need on the Kings. Oh, and one more thing. The Rockets bestowed the title of team captain on two players most recently, Shane Battier and Chuck Hayes. Maybe Chuckwagon can eventually be Kings team captain as well.

Last edited:

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
I dunno, if the front office was spooked enough by what the Kings doctors said to void the contract (and by the length of time it went on it seems like there had to be multiple opinions) then I'm somewhat skeptical the front office will suddenly sign him to the same contract based on what Chuck's doctors say.

Maybe a 1 year contract if there are concerns about long-term health as opposed to short-term.

I dunno, if the front office was spooked enough by what the Kings doctors said to void the contract (and by the length of time it went on it seems like there had to be multiple opinions) then I'm somewhat skeptical the front office will suddenly sign him to the same contract based on what Chuck's doctors say.

Maybe a 1 year contract if there are concerns about long-term health as opposed to short-term.
I don't think it was Chuck's doctor's, though. I think it was the doctor's the King's sent him to for further treatment/testing.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

The one aspect of his disorder that could NOT be determined quickly is the cause of the problem. It can be idiopathic (that's when the doctor says "I dunno"), viral, bacterial, fungal, and a few others. The cause was crucial as it dictated the treatment and prognosis. There is no way you can rule out a bacterial infection in a few hours or by a simple shunt down the road to Stanford. It takes a few days.

I am feeling less critical of the FO as they did the right thing and sent him to the Cleveland Clinic which along with the Mayo Clinic, is tops in the world. Given GP's emotional announcement of Hayes' problem, I feel confident that the relationship between the Kings and Hayes is solid. They certainly gave him the correct advice and the results speak for themselves which has not gone unnoticed by Hayes.

We better resign Chuck. He fits our team better than any other bigs available and he was the guy we wanted in the first place. Sam Dal can go kick rocks for all I care.

Now the rumor is that the kings are bringing him back at more money than the original deal. Why? No one interested in him can offer anything close to our already original deal.

back to plan A. Full well expect us to resign him. He wants to be here, thanks us for discovering wht could have been a major issue and puts us as the frontrunners to sign him.

Feel he must have connected with the team and coaching staff in his time here. PW & GP were really down when his contract was voided. He really wants to be here and was wanted. He will be back

Now the rumor is that the kings are bringing him back at more money than the original deal. Why? No one interested in him can offer anything close to our already original deal.

Because it's the right thing to do if true. We all saw how much Chuck meant to this team and that's after only a stinking week! What a Christmas for Chuck. Think your career may be over, get your first big pay day yanked out from under you and then end up with even more riches after all is said and done. Good for him! Finally, one for the good guys. :D

resign this guy and give him more money for the cluster**** that this organization created over the last week. My thinking is that the report that the Kings pulled the offer for Dalembert, was because they heard about Chuck being cleared to play. We need a guy like Chuck, on Tuesday David Lee KILLED us, we have no one who can gaurd those skilled 4's. Chuck is that guy. Shotblocking can be alleviated by playing long lineups and good team defense.

Yep:

Sam Amick@sam_amick

Kings players & coaches talking as if Chuck Hayes will return. If he has made that choice, likely on a four-year deal worth approx $22 mil
That crafty Chuck Hayes just Dalembere'd us into getting an extra million with a "heart condition" that is now mysteriously non existant. Well played sir.