Would Maloofs sell before returning to Sacramento?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
With all the recent updates coming out of NY, and the Maloofs apparent financial troubles, if the BOG's actually do block the move, or a feasable arena plan is presented by ICON/Burkle before May 2nd, which in itself could block a potential move, do you think the Maloofs would sell before returning to Sac?

Of course now they say no way, but that is with the Anaheim option on the table. If that option is taken away, do you see them returning to Sac willing to face the fire? I actually think, that eventhough they're completely against selling the team now, if the Anaheim move were to be blocked, or they were forced to return, they might consider selling.

I don't know. As bad as things are atm, time can heal all wounds. If an arena was built and the team stays I think folks could forget about this and move on even if they never really forgive it. We just want to keep our team.

In my opinion, if the BOG blocks the relocation I don't think the Maloofs would sell. The Maloofs would remain owners for at least one more year, lock-out or no lockout. They would wait for the ICON/Taylor analysis to be completed. If the analysis proves that an arena can be built then the Maloofs would be happy. Maybe not the best compared to Anaheim but at least the arena saga is over with. One less issue for Stern. Obviously Anaheim would be the odd man out. There will still be haggling do be done with concessions/parking/ tickets but at least the building will be built. Now, the PR between the Maloofs and the city/fans. No issue here. The Maloofs would come back and say 'we were leaving in the first place because there was no new arena. Now that we have a new building everything is fine. We always loved the city including the whole family. We would like to thank KJ for his hard work and devotion. Blah, Blah, Blah.' Kings go to the playoffs next season and everyone forgets. Kings move in to their new arena and everyone is thrilled. KJ gets re-elected. No issue with PR.

The Maloofs don't want to sell while in Sac because of the value of the team here. Many believe that a move to Anaheim is to help up the value of the team before selling it, maybe in a spoken agreement with Samueli. Sports franchises are luxuries for the rich. If you're in the hole financially, they are expendable (unless you've got a monolith like the Yankees) and can be sold, as they aren't normally big money makers. If they sold at current value, I belive it would be a loss for the Maloofs. Moving to Anaheim potentially removes that problem. The Burkle group would have to overpay.

With all the recent updates coming out of NY, and the Maloofs apparent financial troubles, if the BOG's actually do block the move, or a feasable arena plan is presented by ICON/Burkle before May 2nd, which in itself could block a potential move, do you think the Maloofs would sell before returning to Sac?

Of course now they say no way, but that is with the Anaheim option on the table. If that option is taken away, do you see them returning to Sac willing to face the fire? I actually think, that eventhough they're completely against selling the team now, if the Anaheim move were to be blocked, or they were forced to return, they might consider selling.
Story in the Bee late this afternoon is that the Maloofs are dead set against selling. Of course, things could change, but having lost the Rockets more than 20 years ago, it sounds like they will hold on until they absolutely couldn't hold on any more. For some owners, it is a really big deal to hold onto a team. It guess it makes them feel important and relevant. Donald Sterling and George Shinn immediately come to mind.

problem is they can't hold on to it any longer. if the league blocks their relocation and they ahve to stay in sacramento for one more year its going to be really awkward for them... I repeat AWKWARD perhaps even more than that...

it just doesnt make any sense to pay a debt by getting another debt. this is just crazy.