World Basketball Championships

I've enjoyed watching the World Basketball Championships so far, even though the US didn't send their A team. Best game so far was Lithuania outscoring Spain 23 - 9 in the 4th quarter to win by 3. Argentina -- Brazil in the round of 16 should be interesting. And did any one else notice that Samo Udrih, Beno's brother, is playing for Slovenia?

Bracket for round of 16

Am I the only one who's bored s***less watching the FIBA turkey games? I have NBAtv now and I actually dread putting it on that channel cause I'm so bored watching the FIBA games. Maybe it's just me?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It doesn't matter that the United States didn't send their "A team." What matters is that the guys they sent appear to be disinclined to actually play as a team, and appear to have no concept of how to play in the halfcourt. Personally, I don't think that this team is as talented as the team that finished sixth at the WCs in 2002 but, "B Team" or not, they are still more talented than any other nation at the tournament. But, the guys on the team, as in 2002, seem to be in business for themselves, even though they appear to have an overall better outlook.

But, it's most definitely not a talent issue: if it were decided by raw talent, the United States could, conceivably, send three squads to the WC, and come home with gold, silver and bronze. But many other things besides talent go into it, as we have seen in the past, and may well see a week or so from now.

We should have just sent the Celtics; I'd like their chances a lot better than the guys that went.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Gotta leave it to Greece to ruin a perfect tournament other than Granger being just flat out retarded. Their INTENTIONAL losing against Russia is embarrassing for the game and competition. They did it to avoid Spain but they made a crucial mistake. They counted on the French and you really can't count on French in any way.

I wish them a brutal defeat and a bad trip home. Cheaters !

I can't wait to see how Durant will develop in further seasons. He's the best player on this WC so far and I can't think of anyone else who could be an MVP. On the other hand - Derrick Rose is so terrible that I can't even figure out. I didn't have chance to watch too many Bulls games in last couple of years but I understood that he was one of the biggest stars on this team. His game on this championship is joke.

As for the other teams, of course, I hope to see Serbia in the finals :) There is going to be European championship finale rematch on Wednesday when we play against Spain. They're not the same team without Pau, but they're still awesome!
Turkey is playing really good, supported with thousands of their loud fans. Gotta be honest and say that they didn't play against the biggest favorites yet, so we will see how strong they really are.
Argentina is also fine, but it's not the team which is capable of winning IMO. Delfino, Scola and Oberto are not enough for gold.

piksi

Hall of Famer
waht a game

Djordjevic = Bodiroga = Teodosic.

That last shot was the best thing in sports I have ever seen and I have seen a lot. How much "balls" do you have to have for something like this.

Milos Teodosic and Marko Keselj are the two most awesome human beings on this planet, those three pointers were ridiculous. Peja and piksi, you must be proud of your guys, they're playing great and I'm most definitely rooting for them.

Awesome!!! Euphoria is still on! ;) This is why most of the European coaches are saying that Milos Teodosic is the best PG in Europe and soon NBA player.

piksi

Hall of Famer
youngest team in the tournament

the federation barely had money to send them there

it is a joy to watch a team with some much heart win or lose

And we have the best coach on the planet but that we knew going in

piksi

Hall of Famer
Awesome!!! Euphoria is still on! ;) This is why most of the European coaches are saying that Milos Teodosic is the best PG in Europe and soon NBA player.
I don't want him in the NBA. Once they come here they stop playing basketball. They learn nothing other to make money. They should stay and play competetive basketball in Europe.

Anybody else watching Lithuania beat the dog**** out of Argentina?
Yeah that was kind of brutal. I do doubt that they will be capable of replicating that effort, though. Neither will they be able to shut down Durant like they did Scola, nor will they again start the game off 8/8 from the three point line.

piksi

Hall of Famer
4 best teams that showed the most are left

4 teams that won their groups

US is favorite on paper but that team is beatable - only if the opponent shoots it well but it is beatable.

Should be a great weekend

Amazing tournament for us Serbians because of the reasons Piksi mentioned.

Turkey seems like they will be a very tough opponent - they've just blazed through the tournament thus far. Here's to a Serbian victory!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This seems to have been a strange Worlds with all the usual powers getting knocked off one by one except Serbia, who's team was I don't think expected to be what it once was. Meanwhile the U.S. sends over what was expected to be its weakest team in years, and its two very winnable games from gold. Of course I think there may be a lesson there -- its never been about talent for the U.S., its been about lack of focus/practice/team construction. So maybe this group of lesser stars actually creates a better, more coherent team, than the all-superstar foolishness. One veteran leader at PG (Billups), one clearly delineated first option (Durant), and in general a team that might succeed just by bearing more resemblance to an actual normally constructed team.

piksi

Hall of Famer
it is very simple

US is too deep for any other nation so when some pleyers are missing there is no difference. Other teams just can't replace their stars. If Gasol and Calderon weren't injured Spain would have won the gold. Argentina, Brazil, Slovenia, Germany, Russia and others are missing some of their best players. No way they can replace them. With Serbia - there is a different story. We are really missing only 2 guys. Milicic i and Tripkovic and I am not sure about Tripkovic. We sucked between 2003 and 2008 because we thought NBA players are the answer. That was wrong. We have a young team that has been in training 4 weeks longer than any other team. It shows. If we are lucky and NBA leaves us alone - we will be good for many years to come.

This far Turkey has been much more convincing than the US squad. If the US doesn´t start rebounding the ball better, i don´t see them winning gold...

I think tomorrow is the first real test for the Turkey. Sure, they played against Greece, France, Slovenia, but all those teams aren't really the highest class. I wouldn't pay so much attention on the 17.000 fans that they have, because believe me, that cheering is nothing compared to Serbia or Greece. That won't be a problem for our players.
USA against Lithuania... I think USA will pass this. I don't think they played 100% against Russia and I am sure they won't let that happen again. Lithuania can be tricky, but obviously, USA - Serbia finale is close ;)

piksi

Hall of Famer
First of all - if you are an uneducated moron like for example Rudy Gay - keep it for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JCYP7CZCZk

both games should be great.

For Serbia to win - got to have a great start and keep the crowd out of game. Use hack a Asik all game long. Hitt the damn free throws.

For Turkey to win - avoid close game at the end at all costs. Hit the three and keep Asik away from the line.

For Lithuania to win - make those threes and pond the ball inside where you will be guarded by two natural SF playing PF and C. Go at Durant whatever it costs and make him pick up some fouls. Play zone as much as possible and change them up.

For US to win - obviously largest margin of error. Make the FTs. guard the three and push the ball.

Oh. My. God. This semifinal is costing me my last nerve. Teodosic plays godmode for most of the game and is now shooting every look he has and not connecting. Incredible! Keselj plays out of his mind again and the Turks counter everything. I love it!

Edit: Alright, brilliant game, but the wrong team won. Too bad. Anyway, hope the Serbs win the bronze medal at least, they definitely deserved it. In the meantime: Go USA!

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Man, what an intense ending! that game was close all game long, no team took a bigger lead than 8 and Serbia I believe should of won that game, they just had a brainfart on that last possession. I don't know what happened there, but Turkey I don't think stands a chance tomorrow vs the U.S.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Man, what an intense ending! that game was close all game long, no team took a bigger lead than 8 and Serbia I believe should of won that game, they just had a brainfart on that last possession. I don't know what happened there, but Turkey I don't think stands a chance tomorrow vs the U.S.
Note however that Durant has been the only consistent weapon for the U.S., and Turkey has not 1, but 2 good matchups against him with similar-sized NBA caliber forwards in Hedo and Eryasova.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Note however that Durant has been the only consistent weapon for the U.S., and Turkey has not 1, but 2 good matchups against him with similar-sized NBA caliber forwards in Hedo and Eryasova.
True true, but I don't exactly think of Hedo & Ersan as defenders, matter fact good enough to stop a scoring machine like Durant. I think they will be just fine though, Westbrook has been that spark plug USA needs to get everyone going.

All of this tonight reminded me of Kings - Lakers game 6... what a pathetic officiating from the refs! Turkey's worst free throw shooter - Asik goes on the ground and says that he can't shoot last free throws... what about fair play man?

I just hope we win bronze medal and create a huge party in Belgrade for our players, because they deserved it.

Oh yea, I wish team USA to win by 30 tomorrow and believe me - refs are going to help Turkey a lot!

piksi

Hall of Famer
5 on 8 was too much for us. I have never been more proud of a basketball team. We going to be good for the next decade. Turks will pay for this with interest.

Tomorrow US will play 5 on 8 and while on neutral ground I would bet US +50 - in Turkey who knows. I hope that our guys while devastated and heart broken - will find enough strenght to compete tomorrow.

FIBA sucks !!!