Will you still be a fan...

OK...I'm usually very cautious about starting new threads, but this is a question I've been facing myself. I know it's too early to tell where we're headed with the arena situation, but the possibility of the Kings leaving town is, apparently, VERY REAL.

With that, I'm wondering if you will still be a Kings fan if they leave town? Does it matter where they go? Those of you who live in the region: do you see yourself as a "NorCal" fan that will simply jump to the next closest team (Warriors)?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh, come on.

It's not time to think about shifting alliances quite yet.

You said it yourself: "It's too early to tell where we're headed with the arena situation."

What I'm seeing in the press is a pretty strong about-face on the issue, as if they've finally realized this isn't a fantasy discussion or some kind of joke.

It shouldn't matter if you're going to be a fan in the future. The important thing is: Are you going to do whatever you can to help keep the Kings HERE?

Great point VF...and for those of us out of the region, is there something we can do? Call people?

I'm not saying I would switch alliances, but I do think the Kings would lose some of their luster with me...I'm a Kings fan, but much of that is due to where they play.

GO KINGS!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well since, given my geographical location, and lack of ties to Northern California (or anywhere on the west coast, for that matter), I don't know how I can respond to VF21, and so I will respond to the OP:

Yes. If the Kings leave Sacramento, I will still be a fan; it's not like I became a fan because they were in Sacramento to begin with.

I guess. There are some teams I really like though and I don't feel like the players on this team besides bonzi care if we win. It's depressing.

T

thesanityannex

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
If the Kings leave Sacramento, I will still be a fan; it's not like I became a fan because they were in Sacramento to begin with.
Same here. Not in the area anymore, but it was the style of ball I fell in love with, not the city.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And there's the main problem. If the Kings do leave, will it be because the style of play changed, the support for the arena never came to fruition, etc?

The Kings weren't THE KINGS before they came to Sacramento. They weren't THE KINGS until 1999, if you want to really get down to it.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Well since, given my geographical location, and lack of ties to Northern California (or anywhere on the west coast, for that matter), I don't know how I can respond to VF21, and so I will respond to the OP:

Yes. If the Kings leave Sacramento, I will still be a fan; it's not like I became a fan because they were in Sacramento to begin with.
Yes. Personally I hope they move somewhere east so the damn games can start at a more humane time. I hear Rochester and Baltimore are still looking for replacement teams....

T

thesanityannex

VF21 said:
And there's the main problem. If the Kings do leave, will it be because the style of play changed, the support for the arena never came to fruition, etc?

The Kings weren't THE KINGS before they came to Sacramento. They weren't THE KINGS until 1999, if you want to really get down to it.
well, they definitely aren't leaving because their style of basketball changed. Maybe team dime should use old mafia techniques and frighten all the citizens into funding a new arena.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
mcsluggo said:
Yes. Personally I hope they move somewhere east so the damn games can start at a more humane time. I hear Rochester and Baltimore are still looking for replacement teams....
Hear hear! I was up until two in the morning for the finish of last night's game... that was unpleasant, especially seeing as how I had to be to work at five...

:: dislikes west coast start times, but detests the 22:30 start times most of all ::

P

playmaker0017

Where Reef lands - I'm a fan.

(and all the terrible baggage I bring, belongs to the team)

I think if the Kings moved to Las Vegas or Anaheim, Adelman would be fired, Coachie would go back to the East Coast, and things would have to begin all over. The Kings would be Kings in name only.

It is difficult to imagine following the Kings under such circumstances. Rather, it would be a situation where I might watch a game or two to see Bonzi or some other player, just as I might watch a game to see Bobby Jackson or Chris Webber.

It clearly will be a different team. Las Vegas or Anaheim would create a culture shock for any normal Sacramento fan following the team.

I am afraid that I would abandon basketball altogether. Bocci Ball, that's it.:D Actually, if kings-style basketball and player personalities are what you are really interested in, one might consider following Adelman to his next team.

Last edited:
quick dog said:
I think if the Kings moved to Las Vegas or Anaheim, Adelman would be fired, Coachie would go back to the East Coast, and things would have to begin all over. The Kings would be Kings in name only.

It is difficult to imagine following the Kings under such circumstances. Rather, it would be a situation where I might watch a game or two to see Bonzi or some other player, just as I might watch a game to see Bobby Jackson or Chris Webber.

It clearly will be a different team. Las Vegas or Anaheim would create a culture shock for any normal Sacramento fan following the team.

I am afraid that I would abandon basketball altogether. Bocci Ball, that's it.:D Actually, if kings-style basketball and player personalities are what you are really interested in, one might consider following Adelman to his next team.
Good points, I'll change my opinion and agree with you. Because I loved the kings for what they were, I still love them but I honestly don't like the roster all that much. If they move adelman is gone and so is Pete Carril probably. Probably different uniforms too. The city'd be different, the fans, everything. I'd still try to root for them but ehhhh. Depressing.

T

thesanityannex

the kings will be the kings, regardless of the city their from, and because of that, i will always be a fan.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
D-Mass said:
OK...I'm usually very cautious about starting new threads, but this is a question I've been facing myself. I know it's too early to tell where we're headed with the arena situation, but the possibility of the Kings leaving town is, apparently, VERY REAL.

With that, I'm wondering if you will still be a Kings fan if they leave town? Does it matter where they go? Those of you who live in the region: do you see yourself as a "NorCal" fan that will simply jump to the next closest team (Warriors)?
Interestingly, even though I left Sacto years ago, I think my answer is no, not really. The only thing that makes the Kings particularly special for me is their connection to my old home town. Would still generally follow them of course and be a "fan" at that level, but be a major fan? Nah. Be much more likely to shift my alleigances over to the team wherever I happen to be living.

No way and I have given this some thought ever since this arena mess started.

I will support the Kings until / if they bolt on us..... Fan since I moved to the sac area

Last edited:
VF21 said:

I have to dispute that, they were the KINGS in the late 70's very early 80's (KANSAS CITY KINGS)

D

Danny Ocean

I like the Cleveland Browns analogy.

There is no way I root for the kings if they leave town. I think I would follow my first love even more. Football baby. College and Pro. Basketball would definetly take a back seat.

Danny Ocean said:
The kings werent the KINGS before sacramento? Before 1999?

Huh?
if i may i think VF21 is making a play on words...saying they were the kings but in 1999 when they began actually winning games they became the KINGS...hee hee...silly silly VF21

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Precisely, NK64. The team didn't become THE team for a good majority of people until the national media started to realize what we here already knew...

Sorry. I forget that nuances are sometimes lost on the Internet.

;)

I'll be a Kings fan for as long as whatever it was that got me interested in the team remains.

How's that for a non-committal answer?

They're the team that's closest to me geographically, but I've got no ties whatsoever to Sacramento. I hope they stay, but would probably follow them if they moved.

Tough one for me to answer, though. I was always a basketball follower, but never the type to root for a specific team. Something about the Kings, however, hooked me and I suddenly had a team to call my own. I suppose that spark that first got me to give a damn could fade tomorrow, or it could last for 20 years. Who knows?