Will Tyreke be Suspended?

Do you think Tyreke will be suspended for the beginning of the season? If so for how long? And do you think its deserved?

I think he will for 5-10 games but I dont think he should be. He paid the price for his mistakes and other players have done far worse and have not been suspended.

We talked about this in thread on the speeding vid. I think it's so minor relative to other worse to much worse sins of players suspended in the past - it probably deserves 0. Maybe because of past incident in PA it gets some added scrutiny at NBA HQ. Surely Kings FO is now adament it's a closed matter, with their internal scolding, the people of Calif. sanctioning their penalties - but importantly never an arrest or booking of kiddo Tyreke.

Do you think Tyreke will be suspended for the beginning of the season? If so for how long? And do you think its deserved?

I think he will for 5-10 games.
5 to 10? Webber only got 3 for being convicted of perjury. If Evans gets any, which I doubt, I can't see it being more than 2.

I don't care if he's the face of the franchise, he was an idiot and should be suspended for going GTA on freeway. Could have easily killed someone or himself.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Certainly not by the team. And I don't think the NBA is in the business of handing out suspensions for traffic violations. I certainly don't recall a single suspension resulting from a speeding ticket, and I somehow doubt this is the first time an NBA player has ever been caught doing 130.

Yeah... because my work place tells me to go home for three days when I get a speeding ticket... :rolleyes:

This is such a dead subject to me. I hope people forget about this before the season even starts.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

I think he will for 5-10 games but I dont think he should be. He paid the price for his mistakes and other players have done far worse and have not been suspended.
I can't recall the NBA ever handing down a suspension for speeding. Even drunk driving -- a much greater offense -- is normally 2 games. To get 5-10 you'd probably have to shoot somebody and do things to the body.

Because of that damn video I might, MIGHT be able to see 1 game if Stern wants to set a new precedent. It would be eyebrow raising if it was 2. Anymore than 2 would I am sure be subject to an immediate appeal as it flies in the face of anything the league has done before.

of course they should.
organization pays him to play, as a professional athlete, he needs stay away from risk and injuries.
evans deserves a suspension.

reke having a little joke with shaq about the arrest.

lol they make cars dat big? Ud need a bus. but nah, never again RT @THE_REAL_SHAQ But I bet I can drive faster than tyrik evans

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
reke having a little joke with shaq about the arrest.

lol they make cars dat big? Ud need a bus. but nah, never again RT @THE_REAL_SHAQ But I bet I can drive faster than tyrik evans
Just to clarify, there was no "arrest" - he was cited and released. He was never "arrested."

I don't care if he's the face of the franchise, he was an idiot and should be suspended for going GTA on freeway. Could have easily killed someone or himself.
The only idiotic thing I see is ....

In the grand scheme of rape allegations, carrying weapons, being in possession of drugs, assault, etc. this is MINOR!

And don't say, "Well, he could have really hurt someone!". HE DIDN"T! Therefore, it was a 20 year old being dumb, no harm, no foul. If he had hurt someone, and/or himself this would be a different conversaion, and my tune would change. The simple fact is he's 20, was speeding, he got caught, end of story.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Just to clarify, there was no "arrest" - he was cited and released. He was never "arrested."
But he was handcuffed, which may be the point of confusion. In fact, according to most colloquial and even allegedly legal definitions of "arrest" that I can find, mere temporary detention does seem to count as arrest:

Arrest is the action by which a person is stopped from his normal activities by virtue of a legal authority or sanction, either by detaining him or by stopping his external accesses. By an arrest, a person is deprived of his liberty.
The intentional deprivation, whether actual or constructive, of a person’s freedom by legal authorities using forcible restraint, seizure, or otherwise taking the individual into custody, especially in response to a warrant or a suspicion based on probable cause that the person being arrested has committed a crime. The person making the arrest must have the present power to control the person being arrested. Furthermore, the intent to make an arrest must be communicated to the individual who is being detained and that person must understand that the seizure or detention is an intentional arrest.
The detainment or restraint of a person or thing for the purposes of determining legal rights as regards a thing, or suspicion of criminal activity as regards a person.
In fact, the only definition I have yet found that certainly excludes considering what happened to Tyreke being considered an arrest follows. However, as it comes directly from a U.S. Supreme Court case (Terry v Ohio 1968) it may carry some weight:

An arrest is the initial stage of a criminal prosecution. It is intended to vindicate society's interest in having its laws obeyed, and it is inevitably accompanied by future interference with the individual's freedom of movement, whether or not trial or conviction ultimately follows.
The bold section is what would seem to disqualify Tyreke's detainment from being considered an arrest, as he was promptly released. But I can't actually find a legal definition that says an arrest involves being taken to the police station, or being arraigned, etc. and I wonder if there actually is a precise legal definition.

I don't want to beat this to death but yes he was arrested for a misdemeanor. He wasn't taken to jail and "booked" he was issued a citation and released. It is similar to shoplifting(petty theft) in the sense that people are normally issued a citation and not taken to jail. But, in the eyes of the law and the penal code it is an arrest.

The only idiotic thing I see is ....

In the grand scheme of rape allegations, carrying weapons, being in possession of drugs, assault, etc. this is MINOR!

And don't say, "Well, he could have really hurt someone!". HE DIDN"T! Therefore, it was a 20 year old being dumb, no harm, no foul. If he had hurt someone, and/or himself this would be a different conversaion, and my tune would change. The simple fact is he's 20, was speeding, he got caught, end of story.
Man that is scary, to know a player in this league needs to do what you listed in order to get suspended. All those offenses would mean prison.

I wouldn't have mind if the video showed him driving down Highway 5 south past Fresno where there is no traffic, but this guy on I-80 at 6:30pm. And the fact that he didn't get punished bothers the heck out of me.

K

Kingsguy881

Man that is scary, to know a player in this league needs to do what you listed in order to get suspended. All those offenses would mean prison.

I wouldn't have mind if the video showed him driving down Highway 5 south past Fresno where there is no traffic, but this guy on I-80 at 6:30pm. And the fact that he didn't get punished bothers the heck out of me.
He wasn't punished? Get your head out of some orifice, ok?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Will he be suspended? I doubt it.

Should he be suspended or face stiffer penalties? Um, no.

He has been treated exactly the way anyone else who committed the same offense would have been treated.

Reke did a stupid thing but I don't think it was serious enough for him to get suspended. Hopefully he learned from this incident and behaves like a professional should.

suspended?

for a speeding ticket?

Can you guys drop this already....Jesus

The only reason this is over-sensationalized is because there was a chopper videotaping this thing. Anyone going 100-110 and gets caught for speeding on the freeway looks similar to that video.

Yes it was dangerous, yes it was immature of him. He apologized, the legal penalties were issued. Let's move on.
It was his first offense. If he repeats, then you can start talking about internal discipline.

5-10 games? Are you out of your mind?

It doesn't bother me that he wasn't punished by the team or the league, but it wouldn't bother me if he was. A game or two would send a message, not only to Reke, but the other young guys also. Either way, this is a bridge over a body of water ... or however the saying goes.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'm indifferent to the notion that Evans be suspended, even though it seems unprecedented that such a thing would happen, but I totally endorse bringing back the pillory.

suspended?

for a speeding ticket?

Can you guys drop this already....Jesus

The only reason this is over-sensationalized is because there was a chopper videotaping this thing. Anyone going 100-110 and gets caught for speeding on the freeway looks similar to that video.

Yes it was dangerous, yes it was immature of him. He apologized, the legal penalties were issued. Let's move on.
It was his first offense. If he repeats, then you can start talking about internal discipline.

5-10 games? Are you out of your mind?
One point of correction on this, at least to my mind. The issue isn't speeding. It's driving recklessly. The thing that gnaws a little at me about this is that I sometimes drive those stretches of freeways with my 2 toddlers. Yeah, maybe having kids screws up your mind. Considering the potential for horrific things happening, weaving thru traffic at 100+mph, imo, isn't all that far from a little gunplay in the lockerroom.

That said, I'm fine with his sentence, I trust he's learned a lesson, and hopefully all the attention is for the greater good.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Because obviously if you are caught speeding your employer automatically slaps you with a 2 week unpaid suspension right?

The entire ability of the NBA to suspend guys for things that happen off the court is part of a vague generalized "morals/good of the game" power Stern has. The NBA is not a court system. In the past it has generally only acted when a player did something that got them arrested (and booked to be accurate). And it didn't HAVE to do that anymore than if you went out and did some of these things your employer would suspend you for it. Because its a vague power, and because uinfortunately there is a video that was embarrassing for the league, I could see a game or two being handed down. But the NBA neither has an obligation nor a history of handing out suspensions for this sort of thing.

Because obviously if you are caught speeding your employer automatically slaps you with a 2 week unpaid suspension right?
This is really a tired comparison. I agree with what you said about the NBA not being obligated either by the letter of the law or precedent to suspend Tyreke, and I agree that it wouldn't be surprising for them to give him a game or two off. But whether your job or my job or anyone who is not an NBA player would be impacted our off the clock behavior or not is really and totally irrelevant. For a number of reasons.

Not to pick on what you said, because we pretty much agree. I'm just tired of seeing people argue "if I did this" or "if I did that". The rules are different. Like it or not, it is what it is.

But he was handcuffed, which may be the point of confusion. In fact, according to most colloquial and even allegedly legal definitions of "arrest" that I can find, mere temporary detention does seem to count as arrest...
Once, during my reckless youth, I was "detained" that way. It worked like this: I was arrested, handcuffed, and put into a holding cell. The police then ascertained that I hadn't done anything illegal, and that they'd totally screwed up. They then handed me a piece of paper which told me that I hadn't been arrested, only detained, and let me leave.

My take on it is that you're arrested, but that the police are permitted to retroactively retract it if you're "detained" for less than 24 hours. Probably saves them a lot of suits for false arrest, as well as allowing law enforcement plenty of wiggle room to deal with otherwise difficult situations.

On topic: I'll guess a 0-1 game suspension, and I don't think that's harsh.