Will Artest play Friday? It may be up to Peja

[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14117156p-14946374c.html

Will Artest play Friday? It may be up to Peja
By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:26 pm PST Thursday, January 26, 2006

NEW YORK - The stage is being set for the beginning of the Ron Artest era with the Kings. And it’s quite a complicated setup.Artest is expected to play as a King at Boston on Friday night, though his debut could be delayed if former King Peja Stojakovic doesn’t report to the Indiana Pacers on time.
According to Kings spokesman Troy Hanson, Indiana is sending a private plane to pick up Stojakovic from Sacramento on Friday, and he must report to the Pacers before the trade is finalized - unless the Pacers waive that stipulation. Even the Kings aren’t sure whether the “reporting” takes place when Stojakovic is picked up in Sacramento, or when he actually joins the team.

The Pacers play the Cavaliers in Indianapolis on Friday night. However, Stojakovic is not expected to make his Pacers debut until they play at Washington on Tuesday.

Artest flew into New York on Thursday morning, where he met with his new team before hopping on another plane with the team bound for Boston. Team owners Joe and Gavin Maloof are still in New York, doing media appearances for ESPN’s “Cold Pizza” and Fox’s “Best Damn Sports Show. Period.” They plan to head to Boston this evening, where their first in-person meeting with Artest will take place either late tonight or Friday.

Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie is also flying into Boston this evening. Physicals were waived for both players, speeding up process.

[/FONT]

I wouldn't get mad at Peja since Peja was playing for the team and was far away from Sac. Artest had eternity to be ready and report, at the same time hes close to the team. Just an FYI for those of you "wishing" Peja would hurry...

BMiller52 said:
I hope Peja gets to indiana soon, they could use him and we could use Ron. Plus I want to see him lockdown pierce.
Take it for what you will, but a diehard Pacer fan I know at work told me last night that Pierce tends to have his way with Artest.

G_M said:
[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie is also flying into Boston this evening. Physicals were waived for both players, speeding up process.
[/FONT]
Um, I hope Ron's had a physical or a drug test lately.

Well... I CAN take off from work early if I give a little notice (which I would if Artest plays) but If he's not gonna play I'd just rather come home later and watch the DVR of the game.

BMiller52 said:
I hope Peja gets to indiana soon, they could use him and we could use Ron. Plus I want to see him lockdown pierce.
yeah, i want to see artest pulling pierce's pants down once again...

...this time in kings' uniform of course :D

bibbinator said:
If you were Peja would you be looking to do the Kings a favor right now?

Not me.
How about getting there to help Indiana? Keep in mind the Pacers play on Friday as well. If he doesn't report on Friday to spite the Kings, he also kills the Pacers who are JO'less as well... Which would suck for Pacers fans who I'm sure are excited to see in a Pacers uniform...

SacKings384 said:
How about getting there to help Indiana? Keep in mind the Pacers play on Friday as well. If he doesn't report on Friday to spite the Kings, he also kills the Pacers who are JO'less as well... Which would suck for Pacers fans who I'm sure are excited to see in a Pacers uniform...
I honestly don't think Peja would do anything to spite the Kings. I just it's a lot easier for Artest to report when both he and the team are on the east coast then for Peja to travel back and forth like a yoyo.

[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]unless the Pacers waive that stipulation.[/FONT][FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
You'd think they would considering they waived the physicals?[/FONT]

you don't have to pack to play a game. Pedja has money just buy some clothes for a couple of days, have his wife and agent prepare the move or just rent an apartment and live in SAC. lots of possiblities

The Pacers gave Peja permission to skip some games in order to deal with the move. Peja's wife is due in 5 weeks and can't fly. The pacers want to start their relationship with him on good terms.

So if the Pacers don't mind that he doesn't get there on Friday, why should he hurry just to help the Kings? It isn't about spiting the kings, it's just about him taking care of his business.

I'm looking forward to Artest's first game. Mostly so I can see things like:

"Nut, with the steal!"

"Look at Nut go!"

"NUUUTTT!!!"

"Damn, Nut blocked the **** out of him!"

"Nut. Any Questions?"

Zyphen said:
I'm looking forward to Artest's first game. Mostly so I can see things like:

"Nut, with the steal!"

"Look at Nut go!"

"NUUUTTT!!!"

"Damn, Nut blocked the **** out of him!"

"Nut. Any Questions?"
Oh I GET IT. Nut. :rolleyes:

bibbinator said:
The Pacers gave Peja permission to skip some games in order to deal with the move. Peja's wife is due in 5 weeks and can't fly. The pacers want to start their relationship with him on good terms.

So if the Pacers don't mind that he doesn't get there on Friday, why should he hurry just to help the Kings? It isn't about spiting the kings, it's just about him taking care of his business.
oh boy. peja's gonna have a lot more travelling to do. i'm sure he'd want to be with his wife when she gives birth to their 2nd child. how exciting for them!

good luck to their family ! :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
bibbinator said:
If you were Peja would you be looking to do the Kings a favor right now?

Not me.
If I was Peja I would continue to be the professional I've always been. I would report to the Pacers on time.

To do otherwise would be totally out of character for Peja and a pretty dumb thing to do...

It's not about doing the Kings a favor. It's about getting on with his life and his career.

I heard Peja will be reporting to the Pacers tommorow, and he will not be playing tommorow against the Cavaliers. (This has been confirmed by Pacers coach Rick Carlisle.)

I really wanted to see him play, too. :( We need whatever we can get ASAP. But I guess from the above article as long as Peja reports, Ron can play for you guys, right?

Well people lets also remember that Ron hasn't played in over a month, and Pierce is on FIRE as of late. Should be interesting. If Peja doesn't show, I would fully expect the Pacers to waive the clause if they can.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yes, Sac.Kings. Thank you. Your post of the article has been moved to the NBA forum for discussion purposes.