Why isn't this game on Dish

The games have been on Dish Network's alternate channels. My guess is that CSNCA went in a different direction during the lockout and are now obligated to show that programming. We will just have to look at the alternates which on Dish are 440-452 for that evenings game.

I wasn't able to get it on DirecTV last night either. The game was blacked out in my area. Which is funny, because I don't live in Portland, and though we share RootNW, it wasn't showing the game for Portland either.

They did mention that if the game is not sold out within 72 hours (DirecTV rep) that the NBA will sometimes black them out. Sounded like the game was a sell-out, though.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I just had a chat session with Dish, and they said the following about Kings games in HD:

Magnus (ID: 79W): Yes, it will be permanently on channel 442.
I don't know if this means immediately or very soon, but something to check.

Warhawk

Staff member
Just had another chat with Dish and they said that CSNCA controls the channel the HD showing appears on. So they just make channels available for them to use and CSNCA chooses what to play where. I am trying to get clarification from CSNCA if this is indeed the case and if they are going to settle on one channel soon. The Dish folks:

Quincy (ID: IR1): Dish will provide only channel’s and the programming are not controlled by Dish.
and then I got handed off to someone else.

Andrea (ID: NPC): We cannot control the broad casting rights for the HD games.
Andrea (ID: NPC): That would be CSNCA.
me: That is what I was trying to get an answer to with Quincy. So CSNCA is the one that keeps changing the channel for the HD broadcast?
Andrea (ID: NPC): Yes.

Warhawk

Staff member
OK, so I got a call back from CSN and they left a message. Said that for technical reasons (bandwidth being primary) and the fact that Sharks hockey has the dedicated CSN HD broadcast channel (maybe due to the lockout? - my speculation there) that the Kings in HD will NOT have a dedicated channel this year and will vary from channel to channel.

That sucks.

I wasn't able to get it on DirecTV last night either. The game was blacked out in my area. Which is funny, because I don't live in Portland, and though we share RootNW, it wasn't showing the game for Portland either.

They did mention that if the game is not sold out within 72 hours (DirecTV rep) that the NBA will sometimes black them out. Sounded like the game was a sell-out, though.
If the NBA blacked out games that did not sell out, no local TV would show 90% of home games. that is not an accurate statement that the NBA will black out the game.

I looked at the Guide for Dish Network and it says the Kings game is on ch 451. However, when I turn to that station, it says The program is not available in your area. Does anyone who is watching on dish know what channel the game is on.

Warhawk

Staff member
I emailed CSN again about this and the response was:

The changing of channels has to do with Dish Networks system. All of the other DBS affiliates assign a permanent channel for the games such as Direct TV (699-1) and AT&T Uverse (1768). Dish Network has very limited bandwidth and occasionally has to wait until another game is over before they put the games on in HD.

I should mention as well that tonight’s game will only be seen in SD on Dish Network (ch. 451). They did not have capacity this evening to carry an HD feed of the game even though we are supplying it as normal. This will also be the case on 2/17.
They also sent this link to help out with the rest of the games:

http://www.csncalifornia.com/basket...el-locations-for-D?blockID=617628&feedID=2529