Why I Like Ants

I have decided that ants are extremely cool.

I went outside to read a book. A bunch of earwigs fell off the redwood yard furniture when I shook them out. I stomped on dozens of earwigs. I then sat down to read my book, and within 10 minutes, reddish-brown ants were already hauling off the earwig carcasses. It was very cool. I did not have to hose-off the porch. The red ant raise hell with problem insects.

Big black carpenter ants eat dead wood and brush in the forest. They don't bite me. The turn potential forest fire fuel into mulch.

Little black ants are pretty much useless, but again, they don't bite and are relatively clean. The present no real problem. They like to come in the house, but can be controlled with a mixture of pancake syrup and 5% boric acid.

Ants are much nicer than black widows, jumping spiders, flies, mosquitos, earwigs, centipedes, silverfish, pine borers, assassin bugs, gnats, jerusalem crickets, daddy long legs, pseudo-scorpions, etc, etc, etc, ..........................................:)

I have to disagree with you.Every summer my house gets infested with them and I cannot get rid of them. I have the red and black ones. Anybody any suggestions how to get rid of them? I've tried all kinds of stuff and unless they want to pay my mortgage they've gotta go!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
loopymitch said:
I have to disagree with you.Every summer my house gets infested with them and I cannot get rid of them. I have the red and black ones. Anybody any suggestions how to get rid of them? I've tried all kinds of stuff and unless they want to pay my mortgage they've gotta go!!
Maybe buy yourself an anteater? :p

Helpful Hint #1

Place the ant-traps outside of your house ... not inside (the reasons are obvious) .... about a dozen or so strategically placed away from your house, usually does the trick.

Thanks Al, I just have to be very careful what I use b/c the cats are inside and dogs outside and most things to kill ants also harm pets.

quick dog said:

I went outside to read a book. A bunch of earwigs fell off the redwood yard furniture when I shook them out. I stomped on dozens of earwigs. I then sat down to read my book, and within 10 minutes, reddish-brown ants were already hauling off the earwig carcasses. It was very cool. I did not have to hose-off the porch. The red ant raise hell with problem insects.
My dad went on a cross-country trip in his fifth wheeler. They parked it under a big tree one night...a whole bunch of ants went from the tree to his trailor and ate all the bugs that had accumulated on the trailor during their 2000 mile trip. Saved him the trouble of having to wash it. :)

Buy ant bait. You can find some particularly nasty stuff that the ants think is food. I've seen them pick it up and trot back to their home. The ants then give the poison to the queen, killing her off and thus killing off the colony.

I hate all insects. They drive me nuts when I see them in the house. I don't recall ever seeing red ants in Sacramento.

A few year ago when I went to Atlanta, I came across some nasty and huge fire or red ants. Those babies were gigantic.
I could not step outside the house without bug spray if not I would encounter 20 mosquitoes bites.

I go to UC Irvine. We're the Anteaters. I just felt this would be the best place to share this information. We do have, IMO, the 3rd worst nickname of all colleges in the US, behind the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs and the NYU Violets.

And I hate ants. Everytime it rains, they invite their sorry butts into my house. Such a hassle.

quick dog said:

Big black carpenter ants eat dead wood and brush in the forest. They don't bite me. The turn potential forest fire fuel into mulch.

Little black ants are pretty much useless, but again, they don't bite and are relatively clean. The present no real problem. They like to come in the house, but can be controlled with a mixture of pancake syrup and 5% boric acid.

Ants are much nicer than black widows, jumping spiders, flies, mosquitos, earwigs, centipedes, silverfish, pine borers, assassin bugs, gnats, jerusalem crickets, daddy long legs, pseudo-scorpions, etc, etc, etc, ..........................................:)

Hmmm. I thought you were going to say it was because you liked frying them with a magnifying glass:p

Killing ants requires some thought. Don't spray Raid or serious poisons around your house. If you don't contract cancer yourself, your pets and children will be at risk. I worked with pesticides and other agricultural chemicals for several years. Pesticides should be the last resort. They are nothing to fool around with, especially in the house. I only apply serious pesticides for black widow and wasp nests.

I apply a very thin line of certain (banned) organo-chlorinated pesticides where the foundation of the house meets the ground. That's it! It is quite effective at keeping scorpions and spiders out of the house. Lizards don't much care about the tiny pesticide line.

For black ants, mix up some crystalline boric acid with any syrup. Make the ratio 1:20. Don't use berry syrups (you idiot) that will stain your sidewalks, furniture, and decks!

You may want to microwave the syrup for a few seconds to make it flow. Squirt little puddles of the stuff in cracks and places where your dogs and cats won't lick it up. I find the ant trails, then put drops of syrup in cracks, nail holes, and any place where my dog can get at it.

Boric acid is very effective and won't give you bladder cancer in 20 years.

Well for ants, I use Grants Ant System, its those little metal arrow-like things-they work great. Oddly enough, I don't have any other in house bug problems. Probably shouldn't be complaning, I have some many little critters all over my property that nature just takes its course and they never seem to make it inside. :)....They just take up camp in the air conditioning vents :eek:

Last edited:
this time of year I always get these black furry spiders with fluorecent green eyes...they are gross....

And by the way QD....you've been up there in solitary confinement too long!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
JayBird said:
I go to UC Irvine. We're the Anteaters. I just felt this would be the best place to share this information. We do have, IMO, the 3rd worst nickname of all colleges in the US, behind the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs and the NYU Violets.

And I hate ants. Everytime it rains, they invite their sorry butts into my house. Such a hassle.
College nicknames are bad, but there's a high school in Yuba City that has suffered for years. Yuba City High School and the Yuba City Honkers.

JayBird said:

I went to Dominican College of San Rafael (now Dominican University of San Rafael) home of the Penguins.

Why penguins? From all of the nuns that remain on campus from Dominican's days as a Catholic school.

Add that one to your list.

We've got cockroaches down here that would eat a bottle of Raid whole, anyhow. You need an M-60 for some of the crap I see on a daily basis.

loopymitch said:
Ok thanks QD, I'll try that next time I'm at the store. Does it eliminate them permanently or will they be back?
The ones you kill don't come back. New ants will appear, but there is a diminishing return. Just like Talibs.

GoGoGadget said:
I went to Dominican College of San Rafael (now Dominican University of San Rafael) home of the Penguins.

Why penguins? From all of the nuns that remain on campus from Dominican's days as a Catholic school.

Add that one to your list.

That is exactly why. The Nuns. I grew up in Novato and thought about going to Dominican. It is a beautiful campus, in a gorgeous part of San Rafael, with all the big mansions. Love Angelico Hall.