Why do you love the kings?

Grew up in NorCal rooting for the home teams. Didn't really become a big Kings fan though until I went to a playoff game vs Seattle when I was in high school. The crowd was amazing and really sparks loyalty in ya to be part of such a passionate group of fans.

Plus, I love rooting for the underdog and the Kings were so bad for so long that it was extremely fufilling to see them turn things around even if they didn't quite get to the top.

Being from Philly, I started watching the Kings in the 2002 playoffs. I had been a basketball fan since 97 (I used to hate all sports because they took up my tv time) but hadn't really watched much of it in 01-02 for some reason. Probably because I had senioritis and was up in the clouds because I was graduating. Anyways, I had knew of Mike Bibby from when he played for Vancouver because my boyfriend at the time said people in his school would tell him that he looked liked him. So in the series against Utah I turned on the game and saw Bibby annd became hooked. Some of the faces he would make reminded me of my boyfriend. At the time of the playoffs, my boyfriend had just recently broke up with me so seeing Bibby actually made me feel better for some reason. I watched every game in those playoffs. The first Kings game I taped was against the Lakers because I didn't know much about the team so I figured they would lose the series and I had to tape it so I could continue to see Bibby throughout the summer. Even to this day whenever I am sad, stressed, angry, etc. watching Bibby always seems to make me feel better.

So yes I started out as a Bibby fan and am now an even bigger Bibby fan, which I didn't think was possible. Every year it gets worse. He was and still is the sole reason why I watch the Kings. I became a fan of the team that following season. When you watch one team so much, especially with the style of bball the Kings play, it's hard to not fall in love with the team. Win or lose, when the Kings play it is always exciting for me. I remember shedding a tear (yes I do cry over bball, I did it in high school as well) after game 7 vs Lakers. I was sad to see Hedo leave, sad to see Pollard leave. Upset when Webb went down, upset but no tears when they lost to Dallas. Disappointed about Minnesota in gm 7. Shocked about Doug and even more shocked about Webb. CWebb and Bibby were my favorite combo.

I'm often questioned about my loyalty becuz being from Philly I'm expected to be a Sixers fan and then there is also the Bibby thing. I know if Bibby got traded I would still watch the Kings although some may not believe me. Even when I was a Sixers fan, I never felt the way how I feel about the Kings towards the Sixers and I still watch the Sixers when I can which isn't often. I don't know how anyone can watch this team and not fall in love with it.

Last edited:
I was a Bulls fan in the MJ days but then the whole team disbanded and I noticed Webber, started watching him and got hooked. The way they played and interacted with each other was so different from any other team and I liekd that. The chemistry between them especially Webber and Bibby is great. They're a real TEAM, playing together and helping each other and unfortunately you don't see that very often in the NBA anymore. They take adversity in their stride and have a lot of heart. You gotta love 'em.

Why do you love the Kings?

Well, I live in Sacramento my entire life (not planning to move anytime soon), so it makes sense to support and root for my boys. It doesn't matter if the core changes because I support whoever wears a Sacramento Kings jersey.

Go Kings!!

Carry on........

Why do I love the Kings?

Because they play the kind of Basketball i enjoy watching: passing, ball movement, lot's of basketball skills on display. It's such a refreshing change from the lane-clogging, walk-the-ball-up-the-floor, coach-calls-out-every-offensive-set, low-shooting percentage brand of basketball that some idiot media types call "great defense" when, in fact, it's just horrible offense (which describes 85% of the Eastern Conference).

Like every other Kings fan, I hope for a championship, but not just for the sake of "fan's pride", I also think it would be good for the NBA. It would demonstrate a new paradigm for winning, and more teams would copy this team philosophy.

I started out as a "bandwagon fan" in the NBA. First i was hooked on the bulls during the MJ era, and when he first retired i shifted to the rockets. When MJ came back for the second three-peat, i was a bulls fan again. I always liked teams that can really dominate the entire league. But being a kings fan changed all that.

The first time i saw a kings game(on tv), it was only a highlight in NBA Action(we don't get to see much NBA games in the Phils. during the late 90's) showing Jwill dishing out a incredible behind the back pass. I was hooked after that. This team really play a different type of basketball than any other team in the NBA. They are so much fun to watch. Now so many things have changed(lineup, win/loss stat), and being a very big webber fan, others expected me to change teams. But i realize that i don't want to. I will always follow wherever Webber will go, but my heart stays in Sacramento.

Go kings!!!!

I was born and raised in Sacramento, CA. As a kid I grew up in the south side and went to parkway elementary, fern bacon middle school, and luther burbank high. Later I went to CRC and finally recieved my bachelors in business at CSU-Sacramento. I grew up a huge A's, 49ers, and kings fan. I was ten when the kings moved to town in 85 and will be hitting the big 30 this summer. I remember the old days of reggie theus, lionel simmons, anthony bonner, joe klein, rory sparrow, spudd webb and so on. As well still in my memory I can remember the kings losing forty some odd straight games on the road, I believe still an nba record. I even remember the time walt williams went for back to back forty plus point nights. I can go on and on about the kings. I have been a fan forever. I was stunned when richmond was traded for webber and wasn't sure what to expect...well we all know what happened next, vlade signs up we draft jay will, christie shows up and a year or two later we traded jwill for bibby and you know the rest. The truly funny thing about the past few years of being a kings fan is having to have lived in los angeles since 2000 to present (Moved down here, went back to school recieved my teaching credential and am currently finishing my masters in educational admistration and administrative credential). The year the kings where swept by the lakers 2001, I went to both games here in los angeles. Even though we were swept out that year I loved wearing my kings gear all over town. Being a teacher was great, I used to and still have great conversations about the kings with my students whom until recently were hard core laker fans. The hardest part of the past few years was the loss to the lakers in the WCF. I remember my best friend and kid brother coming down from sac to watch game 4 with me. We went to the National Sports Bar and Grill in Torrance. Walking in with our kings gear was intimidating in itself. I can still remember holding each others hands in a group prayer hoping Horry's shot missed. Well it didn't the place erupted and you know the rest. I remember all the good times and bad times being a kings fan. Right now we are a team in transition, but with solid owners and a hell of a GM, I can still see a run at the title in the next few years. I always root for the Uniform first and player second. To make a long story short, I will only wear A's, 49ers, and Sacramento Kings gear. Sure I don't mind rooting for other players or teams in general when my teams are out of it, but The afformentioned colors are the only ones I would ever wear. As I may have stated before, I have seen my A's win a world series ring, my Niners win multiple rings, and the last thing on my wish list is a single Sacramento Kings Championship. I so wanted the team of 2002 to win it all, but losing is part of being a fan. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proud to be a displaced sacramentan and will always hold a special place in my heart for The Sacramento Kings!!! I hope this answers the posted question of why I am a kings fan.

Kings4Life!!!

ToeKnee said:
I was born and raised in Sacramento, CA. As a kid I grew up in the south side and went to parkway elementary, fern bacon middle school, and luther burbank high. Later I went to CRC and finally recieved my bachelors in business at CSU-Sacramento. I grew up a huge A's, 49ers, and kings fan. I was ten when the kings moved to town in 85 and will be hitting the big 30 this summer. I remember the old days of reggie theus, lionel simmons, anthony bonner, joe klein, rory sparrow, spudd webb and so on. As well still in my memory I can remember the kings losing forty some odd straight games on the road, I believe still an nba record. I even remember the time walt williams went for back to back forty plus point nights. I can go on and on about the kings. I have been a fan forever. I was stunned when richmond was traded for webber and wasn't sure what to expect...well we all know what happened next, vlade signs up we draft jay will, christie shows up and a year or two later we traded jwill for bibby and you know the rest. The truly funny thing about the past few years of being a kings fan is having to have lived in los angeles since 2000 to present (Moved down here, went back to school recieved my teaching credential and am currently finishing my masters in educational admistration and administrative credential). The year the kings where swept by the lakers 2001, I went to both games here in los angeles. Even though we were swept out that year I loved wearing my kings gear all over town. Being a teacher was great, I used to and still have great conversations about the kings with my students whom until recently were hard core laker fans. The hardest part of the past few years was the loss to the lakers in the WCF. I remember my best friend and kid brother coming down from sac to watch game 4 with me. We went to the National Sports Bar and Grill in Torrance. Walking in with our kings gear was intimidating in itself. I can still remember holding each others hands in a group prayer hoping Horry's shot missed. Well it didn't the place erupted and you know the rest. I remember all the good times and bad times being a kings fan. Right now we are a team in transition, but with solid owners and a hell of a GM, I can still see a run at the title in the next few years. I always root for the Uniform first and player second. To make a long story short, I will only wear A's, 49ers, and Sacramento Kings gear. Sure I don't mind rooting for other players or teams in general when my teams are out of it, but The afformentioned colors are the only ones I would ever wear. As I may have stated before, I have seen my A's win a world series ring, my Niners win multiple rings, and the last thing on my wish list is a single Sacramento Kings Championship. I so wanted the team of 2002 to win it all, but losing is part of being a fan. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proud to be a displaced sacramentan and will always hold a special place in my heart for The Sacramento Kings!!! I hope this answers the posted question of why I am a kings fan.

Kings4Life!!!
Nice post, at least you can hold your head up high this year wearing your Kings stuff amongst of bunch of Lakers fans whose team has fallen into the depths of the NBA lottery. I really like what you said about being a fan of the uniform first, the player second. I think that's something alot of Kings fans have come to terms with, especially with the heart and soul of the team being traded away in Webber. I remember when the trade first happened. I was at my gf's when my roomie (who's been a huge Michigan fan and followed Webber throughout his career and got me into the Kings) called me up and delivered that bad news. I was impressed that my roomie said he'd still root for the Kings although he was obviously crushed and somewhat betrayed.

Also, it's a shame that wearing only the uniforms of the teams you like has started to become a thing of the past for some people. I just don't get the new hip hop culture among kids these days who get multiple jerseys and hats just b/c they look cool. I like wearing a team's merchandise b/c it means something to you and you get a sense of pride for wearing it.

I started watching during the shortened season. I immediately fell in love, not only with their fast,fun, furious and sometimes frustrating play but with the hard working, floor diving, boxing out men who did all the little things. I became immediately hooked and haven't stopped watching them since. :D

Because small-market teams are usually David in the David vs. Goliath matchup.

It also has to do with a longstanding personal disdain of Laker management, but I won't go there.

Viking said:
"We played like crap, and everyone’s like 'Ooh, Phoenix'" -Brad Miller

This quote is hilarious. When did he say this?

Wow, this thread is amazing. Reading all this makes me feel happy, and reminds me why I love this team so much. Here's to many more years of the lovin' and the Kings magic flowing through.

GO KINGS!

L.A. Brian said:
Because small-market teams are usually David in the David vs. Goliath matchup.

It also has to do with a longstanding personal disdain of Laker management, but I won't go there.
But remember..."Nobody roots for Goliath." ;)

teamdimechampionship said:
I played high school basketball at Shadow Mountain!!!!! Mike Bibby was a senior when I was a freshman. I got to watch him firsthand from the bus to the court. Great learning experience. I am also friends with his younger cousins Shaun McDonald(Rams WR) and Ryan Walcott(former UCLA point guard) I also went to Arizona State when Eddie House was lighting up the Pac-10. Glad to see the Kings give him a chance. It all really started when I moved to Phoenix in 6th grade and just happened to get put into Shaun and Charlsie's (Mike's sister, Eddie's wife) class. When the Kings traded J-Will for Mike was a real happy day. Watching Mike waste the first few years of his career in Vancouver was painful. GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!!
I forgot to mention that I really liked J-Will's Kings before Mike was traded for him. I also loved the way Mitch Richmond played the game. The Bibby trade just sealed the deal!!!!!!!!:D

I have lived in Sacramento my whole life (born in 1981), and while I don't remember much about the Kings of 1985, I have followed them for as long as I can remember. There weren't nearly as many games on TV before this team became a great team, but I watched them whenever they were on, went to as many games as we could afford, and read about them in the paper every day, through all those miserable years of sub-mediocrity.

I remember those first few years we got in the playoffs and went up against Stockton and Malone, (Razz the Jazz), and when we faced off against Seattle (Rattle Seattle)...exciting times...and of course, the series against the Lakers sealed this team's place in history...even if we were on the losing end. I look forward to many more years of quality team basketball from these guys, and I feel safe knowing that we have the Maloofs, Petrie and Adelman on our side.

ToeKnee said:

Kings4Life!!!
MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I usually fall in and out of love for sports so being a Kings fan for well over 5 years is rather important.

My brothers watched basketball, usually in my room for some unknown reason. One is a Knicks fan, the other usually follows wherever Shaq goes. I wanted a team of my own. Watching the Kings style of basketball(before everyone else copied it) just made me think "Well, that's interesting, I think I watch them". I knew about Chris, Doug, Bobby, JWill & Vlade. I've grown to like Peja. The trade for Mike Bibby just made my day because Mike's my favorite. Everyone that has came and went, grown to me like long lost cousins.

Probably the one moment that cemented me as a fan is when they all went for the funeral for Bobby Jackson's mom. It's one thing for an entire team to travel from Toronto to Salisbury NC on their day off to support one of their teammates. How can you not love that?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've already answered but I have one more comment.

Why do I love the Kings? Because on nights like tonight, they take my breath away!

:D

I have no particular connection to Sacramento. I didn't watch the NBA for most of the 1990's. Like in most pro sports, I didn't like the personalities, the constant trash-talking by guys who had never won anything after high-school, the kicking of photographers, various legal problems, etc, etc, etc...

So, I tuned into a 1999 Kings-Sonics game just to see how Vlade was doing...and guess what, they had JWill playing insane...and a whole improbable cast of crazy characters that were actually playing entertaining basketball and didn't appear to be *******s. I was hooked almost immediately...

I was never a Webber fan before that, but the guy won me over. Peja, VMax, Pollard - everybody had a story and a style. And they passed the ball. And they got no respect (still don't, really). And we rode this wave to almost the championship - we just couldn't beat the Lakers for 5 games out of 7. They said we couldn't beat Dallas that year. That said the Lakers would kill us...and we still beat them 4 out of 7. And look at how we're being copied...Euros everywhere, scouts looking for 14-year-old Yugo future Pejas, more passing and wide-open styles around the league...(defense optional).

I'm a Kings fan by choice. If the same things happen to the Kings that happened to the NBA as a whole a while back, I'll bolt. I hope that won't be the case, but we'll see. Either way, it was a great ride...

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Wow! I deliberately stayed away from this thread until now. I wasn't sure how to answer the question, but so many of you have answered, so succinctly, exactly how I feel.

I lived in Sacramento from 1980 thru 2002. In my heart, it is my home. I am working hard to get back there, because I am so homesick. Anyway, when the Kings moved to Sacramento in 1985, I became an instant fan. We finally had a major league sports franchise to call our own.........at long last.

But, it became so much more than that. People keep saying, "The NBA (and all its teams) is a business." I defy them to believe only that after reading this thread. We have won fans over........the world over. Why? Because of the special camaraderie...the special brand of basketball....that our team plays. It is, and plays, as a team.

Take the time to read this entire thread (if you have not done so). If you are a Kings fan, it will warm your heart. One cannot help but feel the closeness that the fans feel. The song "We Are Family" comes to mind. Sacramento Kings Basketball has brought people together in sport, much like the Modern Olympics was designed to do.

How can you not feel the love for the Sacramento Kings that everyone has spoken of in this thread? And, in so doing, how can you not feel just a little more peace in your heart toward your neighbor, no matter how far away that neighbor may be? Peace!!!! :)

Last edited:
Great thread to read, many great stories, and mine is similar to many. I grew up about an hour from Sacramento, and when the Kings came to Sacramento we were so excited to have a professional sports team in the area. At the time I wasn't a basketball fan, but my dad got season tickets and I quickly came to love the game. Although they didn't win many games, for me the thrill was finally having a "home team" to root for. I was not a Webber fan before he came to Sac (boy times have changed), and remember being very disgusted when he did not show up for training camp on the first day. Little did I know that that was going to be the start of an incredible era of basketball.

As I watched the team get better, and play well, I went from being a fan, to having a love for this team that amazes me. I've watched this team grow up from a little team that no one cares about to a team that is consistently in the playoffs, and has come close, oh so close, to taking home the final prize.

I love this team because it's like a family to me, and although the ride isn't always smooth, it's been exciting, disappointing, thrilling, challenging, heartbreaking, and fun. Basketball is just a game, but this game, and this team, have been a big part of my life. I've had some incredible highs watching this team, and I've cried my share of tears, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Grew up in Redding and moved to the bay area. 1140 was available and I would listen on long drives. I followed the 99 kings without much enthusiasm. The first post season I watched was hmm... I think the 2001 1st round against the lakers. I hate the lakers and I watched the kings lose that one.

2002 I already had a thing for the team. That 2002 WCF finalized that I'd be a Kings fan. Since then I've enjoyed being a very tragic team. It will go forgotten, but the Kings were every bit the equal of hte Lakers during their 3peat(2002). Could be the best team to never reach let alone win the finals.

I loved Doug and was sad to see him go. I loved Webb(though there was a lot of love/hate) and was sad to see him go. Surprisingly enough, I'm still a Kings fan. If Bibby, Bobby, and Peja leave that's the real test of whether I'm a real fan. So far so good. I like the new guys and I think we have a really enviable core and very tradable assets.

hoodie said:
Then.......all of the sudden.....someone I have been watching play ball since Jr. high.....someone I know.......gets drafted by THE KINGS.........prefered them before....
now, I GOTTA love'em !!!!!!!
:lol:
aren't you also related to that someone?

PejaFanatic said:
Well, I live in Sacramento my entire life (not planning to move anytime soon), so it makes sense to support and root for my boys.
same

i fell in love with the team in 1998-1999 season, i think. Those 4 new players in the roster made me crazy. who could beat those 4? I have been in Ireland since september, nobody cares about bball there. I´ve followed the team on internet. After Webber trade, I gave up hope, but at home i watched one match last week, and now I am happy with our boys behaviour. It is long way to the ring, but we should trust the boyz.
xau