Who watched the finale of The Sopranos?

P

PoundForPound

:( imo it was very disappointing, we should have seen more action. 30 minutes into it i was still waiting for Phil to get wacked. and in the end, they leave us with a cliffhanger, leaving room for a big movie or new season maybe? when tony looks up and the screen goes black, what happened? did he see meadow walk in through the door, did he get wacked right then and there by that creepy man who was in the scene, what happened? i'm confused lol..:confused:

What the hell happened? I'm disappointed as well. What happened to Tony? Who was that guy at that walked into the bathroom? This is the worst Sopranos episode in the series. :( I think that guy that went into the bathroom is an FBI agent and I think Meadow found out that Tony was gonna be busted and she was running in frantically to tell her father that he's busted. But I hope David Chase makes a Sopranos movie and hopefully he will close the book on his series. :) All in all though, I am confused and I hope someone can explain what the hell happened.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
According to all the "entertainment" programs, the writer wanted to leave it to the imagination of the viewer to figure out what happened.

I didn't watch it, but my wife did and she was extremely disappointed.

One thing though. In one of the previous episodes, someoone said "you never hear the one that gets you". So since bullet travels faster than speed of sound and since it was from tony's perspective, you can draw a conclusion that he was killed and he never heard the gun. Hence a long fade to black.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I've got DVR and HBO on Demand. Plus, I like basketball WAY better than anything on television that's not basketball; I wasn't going to miss Game 2 of the Finals just to watch the finale of the Sopranos live.

Besides which, honestly? I only fast-forward through the shows anyway, as I gave up on the Sopranos years ago; I've never been a mob movie/show guy (I sometimes feel like I'm the only hetero male in the country that didn't like Godfather), and once I realized that Tony was never going to get with Dr. Melfi, my interest in the show dropped through the floor.

That being said... I did watch the finale on On Demand, and I was quite WTF about the ending...

I thought it was brilliant. Kept me on edge the entire episode. Chase is the best TV mind in the universe. He ended the series (maybe the best series ever) with a controversial and WTF climax nobody saw coming and anybody can draw any conclusion. Plus, Phil got his melon perforated and pulverised all in one deliciously depraved scene. What's not to like? :p

P

PoundForPound

and if anybody else saw, there was these 2 mysterious black guys who were walking along the restuarant dressed like some gangbangers or thugs. they flirted with us when it looked like meadow was about to be hit by a car as she had trouble parallel parking, i wanted AJ to die lol. very badly, i just wanted something like that to happen.

I've thought about the last show in a different light. I think what the last show tried to show was that Tony is just a family man taking his family out to dinner. You see Tony, he is a mob boss, a suspicious man by nature and ruthless, Carmela, Tony's wife, a person who is always nagging Tony is some cases and tending to domestic duties, AJ, Tony's son who is just odd and whiny, and Meadow, Tony's daughter who has missed and has been late to many dinners if you notice in the series. Overall, I think Chase is just showing that the Sopranos is like any other family, trying to have a good time and dinner at a restaurant, and he highlights the qualities of each family member and suddenly BLACKS OUT! :(

...and once I realized that Tony was never going to get with Dr. Melfi, my interest in the show dropped through the floor.
you are a romantic movie/show type of guy? :eek:

i didn't watch the finale, but i thought simmons' take on the ending made sense:

Brett (LA): Most people will hate the end of the Sopranos, but then again, most people suck. David Chase handled the ending with the same delicate, subtle nature that he did the entire show. The ending showed us that this is the life Tony made for himself, a life of fear, a life where you should concentrate on the good moments (as AJ said) because there will be bad ones to come (like his impending arrest). It was well done. To anyone expecting a bloodbath, go rent Cleaver. You've been watching the wrong show all these years. Oh, and if you tell me im wrong, up yours.

Bill Simmons: I agree with this... the problem was that, on the first viewing, right when it ended, everyone had the same reaction: "Oh, no, my cable just went out!" I don't think that's the reaction you want for the last scene of one of the greatest TV series ever,

Bill Simmons: but I watched the ending a second time (and about 6 more times, actually, I was fascinated by how they constructed it) and it's clear what the intent was: There was no ambiguity, the whole scene was centered around the fact that his head kept popping up every time the front door of the coffee shop opened.

Bill Simmons: So in the final last few frames, the person he loves most was coming through the door, but they cut away right as his head was popping up in that split-second of "Uh-oh, who's this?" fear that will consume the rest of Tony's life. I thought that was cool and a good way to end it. The problem was, I didn't figure this out until the 4th or 5th time.

Bill Simmons: So that's bad. I do think that, if he was really getting killed right at the end, they would have shown the guy coming out of the men's bathroom, even for a split-second. That's why I'm certain he didn't get killed. Anyway, that was my interpretation.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=16169

P

PoundForPound

now what i think is that, he lives. but as bill simmons put it, where he kept looking up everytime the door opens, well he lives on with one eye always open and is always having to look over his own shoulder and with his family, but it came at a cost.

After investing so much time following throughout the years, I initially hated it. I was really upset that they would give us an ending like that after having such a superb series, but after rewatching it and getting over my initial frustration I think ultimately that the ending was adequete. Not what I had hoped for, but a close just the same to what was one of the best television shows ever.

I was and am a huge Sopranos fan. I am in the "he got whacked" camp although my arguments for it certainly aren't airtight. I think Bodog.com paid off the guys who bet "Tony lives" so I've got that going against me. David Chase isn't going to kill the golden goose and spell it out for us. After all there's still a blockbuster movie to be made out of this... or better yet - another season which HBO might need to win back its subscriber base.

Still... the LAST SCENE in the show is not Tony's face. It is 5 seconds of black silence when you expect to see Meadow coming in the door through Tony's eyes. Never heard the bullet.

I just can't believe DC chickened out of ending it, and I can't believe that the abrupt cut to black silence was nothing more than a practical joke on the audience. I prefer to think he gave us a creative rendering of T getting whacked. Neither David Chase nor James Gandolfini liked Tony.

Did Paulie order it? Butchie? Little Carmine? don't know.

Did the Members Only jacket guy pull the trigger? the black guys? the trucker? a cub scout? don't know.

But Tony being whacked is a satisfying ending for me. I was never disappointed with The Sopranos except that coma dream stuff last year bored me. Outside those two episodes, it was the greatest thing on TV from the first episode to the last.

P

PoundForPound

notice right before the screen goes black, when tony looks up at the door, he immediately reaches down for something, in all likelihood...a gun.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Interesting. My thoughts run along those lines. The whole show, with very few exceptions that seem necessary for plot development, is told from Tony's perspective (although not in the first person narrative style it's still pretty clearly his viewpoints being shown). The story suddenly ends, and it could easily be because Tony no longer has a perspective. You wouldn't hear any screams, etc. because Tony didn't hear them.

I thought it was great, but in my opinion, it wasn't exactly Tony who got rubbed-out.

You never know when it's coming, you'll never hear it... everything will just go black. Tony was the central character, but that is certainly not the same as the show being from his perspective... the show was from our perspective. The way I see it, I (we the viewers) got whacked. At least figuratively. Life goes on, we simply no longer have a seat at the table. I never heard a thing. I never saw it coming. It just went black. Absolutely perfect.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Perspective might not have been the right word.

The story was clearly about Tony. He was the center of the universe with everyone else assigned various orbits. The only stories that were told involved Tony. When Tony ceased to exist, if he was whacked, then the universe would cease to exist. Which really is about the same thing as what you've said but just stated a little differently.

Bottom line - there is no more Tony because there is no one to watch and there is no one to watch because there is nothing to see.

;)

I saw a clip on Youtube where the actor who played Junior said he was thinking that those suspicious characters (presumably the guy at the counter, the black guys, and perhaps the trucker) were waiting for Meadow to arrive so they could take out the whole family. Not inside info really, just one guy's take. That would beg the question though - if it was a choreographed hit on the whole family, who knew that they were going to Holstens and set them up? AJ's girlfriend? Meadow's boyfriend? Or did the Members Only guy to go the bathroom to phone info to accomplices?

Eventually Chase will speak up I hope. If he says he "whacked the audience" I'll be a little disappointed because that seems like a juvenile stunt as opposed to art... to me. Not that I'd put it past him I guess, but I hope that's not it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A choreographed hit on the whole family doesn't make much sense, does it? It seems like overkill, so to speak, and against pretty much every code even the most vile villain subscribes to...