Who Should We Sign? (2023 Off-Season)

Assuming they would agree to sign here, which SF/PF would be your top choice in free agency?

• Cam Johnson

• Dillon Brooks

• Grant Williams

• Jae Crowder

• Jalen McDaniels

• Jerami Grant

• Josh Hart

• Kyle Kuzma

• PJ Washington

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I am just so angry that LeBron and the Lakers always seem to find a way. And to their credit they have cap flexibility if they use it right. Just total bull****. Every few years it's like that. After they traded Shaq, no problem, just wait a few years. Built a ****show after winning with LeBron, no problem, teams will not only help you in the interim but they'll make it to where YOU can choose your next step. Garbage.
Tell me about it. I expect any day now to hear that a biotech company has devised a "fountain of youth" drug that will extend LBJ's career for the next 10 years.:p I was PO'd when they got Hachimura for Nunn and three 2nd rounders. That's absurd. If only the Kings could get someone of such value for such drivel.

If Miami and Denver are 1-1 currently then "dominance" is not the word I'd use for Denver. Denver lost at home and with an altitude advantage. I don't see Miami as world-beaters by any means in terms of talent and therefore can't assign "dominance" to Denver. I do believe Denver will win the whole thing, but they aren't exactly Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Harper over there either. In sum, I'm not wringing my hands worrying that the Kings don't have a chance over the next few years to beat Denver in the playoffs.

Regarding the Denver lineup, if Denver can pick up someone who complements the Joker - Gordon - I see no reason why the Kings can't do the same with respect to Sabonis. Also, MPJ is one more back injury away from maybe having his entire career ended. If I'm a Denver fan I desperately want this year to be the year because their future for the next several years could go woosh down the drain if MPJ's luck runs out.
I'm chalking that 1st home loss up to some on their roster taking it easy after going up 15 and letting the Heat back into the game in Q4. I think they are going to win this ring... and that they could have won 1 of the previous 2 rings if they had everyone healthy. They are not dominant like the Bulls or the Shaq-Kobe Lakers or the loaded Warriors from 2015-2019... but they are talented while being long and athletic. They could add some of the cheaper guys being spoken about here (like Watanabe, TBJ, KDB, Lonnie Walker, cheap defensive backup Center like Biyombo) and be just as strong next season.

You are right, they are very dependant on the health of MPJ (and Murray). So I'm not saying they are guaranteed to win next season. I'm simply saying, the Kings FO have to go for it... to take advantage of the current parity in the league and use the opportunity to win their first ring too.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm chalking that 1st home loss up to some on their roster taking it easy after going up 15 and letting the Heat back into the game in Q4. I think they are going to win this ring... and that they could have won 1 of the previous 2 rings if they had everyone healthy. They are not dominant like the Bulls or the Shaq-Kobe Lakers or the loaded Warriors from 2015-2019... but they are talented while being a long team. They could add some of the cheaper guys being spoken about here (like Watanabe, TBJ, KDB, Lonnie Walker, cheap defensive backup Center like Biyombo) and be just as strong next season.

You are right, they are very dependant on the health of MPJ (and Murray). So I'm not saying they are guaranteed to win next season. I'm simply saying, the Kings FO have to go for it... to take advantage of the current parity in the league and use the opportunity to win their first ring too.
keep in mind here that Denver has had their core group of players together for multiple seasons before many things going their way and now having an opportunity to play for their first ship'. The Kings took their first step this season and that was to get that dreaded playoff drought gone. Next step is to win a series or maybe two and then further assess from there. Even this Miami team has had Bam, Jimmy and Herro for multiple seasons, even though Herro hasn't played in these Playoffs, they've interchanged role players, some worked out and others not so much.

If the Nuggets can't afford Bruce Brown would the Kings sign him and than maybe trade Huerter and move Monk into the starting line up?
I proposed this on another thread, but Brown is an interesting option if we move one of our guards considering both Brown and Huerter can log some minutes at SF while Fox, Mitchell, & Monk should only be getting guard minutes. The trade I mentioned was…

Richaun Holmes
Davion Mitchell
2026-2028 SAC 1st (Unprotected)

for

OG Anunoby

That leaves us with about $17.5 mil in cap space (assuming we waive Dozier and keep Lyles’ cap hold).

You’d sign Brown with that cap space, use the room exception on another player, and draft at #38 & #54. That gives you…

PG: Fox / Monk / Ellis
SG: Huerter / Brown
SF: Murray / Edwards
PF: Anunoby / Lyles
C: Sabonis / Queta
Picks: #38 / #54
Exceptions: Room

If Brown can continue to show he’s a reliable 3PT shooter, perhaps he replaces Huerter in the starting unit. That gives us two excellent defenders (Anunoby & Brown), a guy who has potential to become a good defender (Murray), and someone who is a great defender when he turns up his intensity (Fox).

With these moves, you’ve improved the defense while maintaining your floor spacing (which is crucial to our high octane offense). And you’ve done this by acquiring guys who are all on the same timeline.

If the Nuggets can't afford Bruce Brown would the Kings sign him and than maybe trade Huerter and move Monk into the starting line up?
I think the team would have to really stagnate for them to move on from Huerter at this point. The system pretty much runs through Domas to Huerter and Murray. Next season will probably determine a lot because if Monk isn't a starter what is his monetary value for the Kings?

I would love to go get Bruce Brown and plug him at the 3. I think he very much would want a starting job and he was on my short-list of guys to go get last year. Only 6'4, but BBall ref has him primarily playing the 3 the last few seasons. I think that checks out pretty clearly too.

I would love to go get Bruce Brown and plug him at the 3. I think he very much would want a starting job and he was on my short-list of guys to go get last year. Only 6'4, but BBall ref has him primarily playing the 3 the last few seasons. I think that checks out pretty clearly too.
And with the Nets wasn't he playing a lot of 4? I remember they put him pretty much everywhere, haha.

And with the Nets wasn't he playing a lot of 4? I remember they put him pretty much everywhere, haha.
Yeah, he was that secret sauce that they played with KD/Harden and Kyrie in the few games they all actually played together.

Elite rebounder, developing as a passer and just an elite role player that knows where to fit in offensively. And he's not known as a spacer, but I think you have to start respecting his last few years too:

40% on 94 3PA last year
35.8% on 254 3PA this year.

That's absolutely more than enough for everything else he brings on the floor.

For me it's him or trade for Brogdan in the off-season, they need that tough "nugget" type player who can play the 1-3. I'd prefer Brown because he's probs gettable on like a 3 year 30-40mil deal. For me Brown is the best non star option he's a way better get than Naz Reid who the Kings don't know if he can play with Sabonis.

Yeah it says he’s 6’3.5” w/o shoes with a 6’9” wingspan and a 8’2.5” standing reach. That’s pretty small for a SG (let alone a SF or PF) but he plays bigger than his size. His rebounding allows you to get away with him at SF (although I’d prefer if he was in more of a SG/SF role vs. a SF/SG role).

I like him as the guy that can help lockdown PGs & SGs (and some smaller/thinner SFs) and I like Anunoby as the guy that can help lockdown SFs & PFs (and some bigger SGs). You have two elite defenders that can cover a variety of different matchups 1-4. That would certainly boost our defense while maintaining our offensive efficiency.

For me it's him or trade for Brogdan in the off-season, they need that tough "nugget" type player who can play the 1-3. I'd prefer Brown because he's probs gettable on like a 3 year 30-40mil deal. For me Brown is the best non star option he's a way better get than Naz Reid who the Kings don't know if he can play with Sabonis.
So a 3 year MLE with 5% raises would be $38.5 mil (if I have that right). I think you’d need to offer more than the MLE if you want to get him. There will be many teams out there willing to pay him the MLE. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him get $45-$55 mil over 3 years.

So a 3 year MLE with 5% raises would be $38.5 mil (if I have that right). I think you’d need to offer more than the MLE if you want to get him. There will be many teams out there willing to pay him the MLE. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him get $45-$55 mil over 3 years.
I could see us letting Barnes walk and splitting his cash to make sure we lock in vezenkov and another guy

Sorry, but where is the balance from playing Bruce Brown at SF on this particular roster? He works in Denver (at SG!!) because of the makeup of their roster... but the Kings roster is not exactly the same. Keegan and Sabonis are undersized for the 4 and 5 respectively. Who getting stops? Who guarding Luka/Kawhi/PG/Lebron/KD? I'm not trying to dump on your suggestion... but playing Bruce Brown at SF seems like such an old-school Kings thing to do... I mean, "old-school Kings" as in... from the years when the team didn't have access to the interwebs and didn't make the playoffs for 2 decades. :p

Last edited:
Brown can guard up for sure, the issue is letting Barnes go and filling his spot with a role guy basically means the training wheels come off for Keegan. If he can't get to the line or get his own, trouble awaits.

Sorry, but where is the balance from playing Bruce Brown at SF on this particular roster? He works in Denver (at SG!!) because of the makeup of their roster... but the Kings roster is not exactly the same. Keegan and Sabonis are undersized for the 4 and 5 respectively. Who getting stops? Who guarding Luka/Kawhi/PG/Lebron/KD? I'm not trying to dump on your suggestion... but playing Bruce Brown at SF seems like such an old-school Kings thing to do... I mean, "old-school Kings" as in... from the years when the team didn't have access to the interwebs and didn't make the playoffs for 2 decades. :p
Agree, that I wouldn’t sign Brown to start at SF. You’re bringing him in as a bench wing (with the possibility that he could replace Huerter in the starting lineup if his shot proves to be consistent).

As for your size concerns, if you do the moves I mentioned above, you’d have Huerter-Murray-Anunoby between Fox & Sabonis. That’s great size & length at the 2-4. If Brown does eventually supplant Huerter in the starting lineup, we take a step back when looking at measurements alone but Brown plays much bigger than his size (and it’s not like people are going to take advantage of his size defensively when he is undoubtedly a big upgrade defensively over Huerter).

Not only can you get away with Brown’s smaller size/length at SG because of how good he is defensively but his strength and rebounding help make up for it further...
  • He had 17 reps on bench press at the combine (that was 2nd best at the entire 2018 combine). Huerter had 9 reps as a comparison. Now bench press isn’t a 1:1 translation to strength on the court but it’s at least some directional evidence to support the eye test.
  • He averages 6.2 REB per 36 min for his career. That’s solid numbers for a SF and excellent for a SG. As a comparison, Huerter averages 4.2 REB per 36 min for his career (even with his superior size/length)

As I mentioned previously, you’d essentially have two excellent defenders on the roster. One who specializes in locking up PGs & SGs (and some smaller SFs) and one who specializes in locking up SFs & PFs (and some bigger SGs). That’s great defensive versatility to have. Then you add that Fox can turn up his defensive intensity and give you another great defender when it matters/in crunch time and Hope Murray continues to develop into a solid/plus defender.

I mean I had him in the $15-$18 mil range already (a few mil above the MLE). You thinking he gets more than that now?
I think some team could go crazy and give him 20mil it always occurs. I think 15 is an overpay tbh, maybe the Kings should take another look at Grant Williams with his value probably dropping with his playoff performances. Dillion Brooks on a 5-6per would be nice as well.

He scores 30 points on 100 percent FG shooting in these single game highlights would recommend checking this out.

Instead of using the 1st rd pick on an older more experienced rookie to come off the bench, why not go with a 27 year old vet like this whos been around n getting better and long arms 230lbs. 39.4% from 3 last season n defends multiple spots.

Last edited:
Bruce Brown is a wing lol. That's where a majority of his minutes have come the last few years in a massive sample. He's "undersized" but clearly doesn't play like it

Agree, that I wouldn’t sign Brown to start at SF. You’re bringing him in as a bench wing (with the possibility that he could replace Huerter in the starting lineup if his shot proves to be consistent).

As for your size concerns, if you do the moves I mentioned above, you’d have Huerter-Murray-Anunoby between Fox & Sabonis. That’s great size & length at the 2-4. If Brown does eventually supplant Huerter in the starting lineup, we take a step back when looking at measurements alone but Brown plays much bigger than his size (and it’s not like people are going to take advantage of his size defensively when he is undoubtedly a big upgrade defensively over Huerter).

Not only can you get away with Brown’s smaller size/length at SG because of how good he is defensively but his strength and rebounding help make up for it further...
  • He had 17 reps on bench press at the combine (that was 2nd best at the entire 2018 combine). Huerter had 9 reps as a comparison. Now bench press isn’t a 1:1 translation to strength on the court but it’s at least some directional evidence to support the eye test.
  • He averages 6.2 REB per 36 min for his career. That’s solid numbers for a SF and excellent for a SG. As a comparison, Huerter averages 4.2 REB per 36 min for his career (even with his superior size/length)

As I mentioned previously, you’d essentially have two excellent defenders on the roster. One who specializes in locking up PGs & SGs (and some smaller SFs) and one who specializes in locking up SFs & PFs (and some bigger SGs). That’s great defensive versatility to have. Then you add that Fox can turn up his defensive intensity and give you another great defender when it matters/in crunch time and Hope Murray continues to develop into a solid/plus defender.
Fair enough, if you're looking at him as a defensive alternative to Huerter at SG, then that would be his best position/role. Just not at Forward or the 3 though. I can see lineups of Fox - Brown - Huerter - Anunoby - Sabonis working too.

Anyway, I think it would be good to sort out the other Forward spot first, like the Anunoby suggestion you made, that would be really good... before making a move for Bruce Brown, since there is talk about him getting a bag.

G: Fox
G: Huerter
F: Keegan
F: ?? (Need an upgrade on Barnes)
C: Sabonis

Last edited:
I wish we could get 2 separate threads... one for like the "destroy and rebuild the entire team" scenarios, which seem to dominate this one.

and then one for like backups and 3rd stringer types.

Bruce Brown is a guy who coulda been had for cheap for many summers since he entered the league.. He had a foot injury in college, set him back bigtime, maybe woulda got drafted in the first if not for that. He's a player who was considered to be a PF in a SG's body.

The thing is the Kings need to be like the Nuggets and find guys like Brown to sign for ~$6MM/yr, not wait for them to have a blowup season and then pay them triple. or idk maybe im wrong, there are certainly gems to be found 'off the scrapheap' though. Brown was once one of them..

Last edited:
If Brown after his performance is worth almost 20 a year, geez, better trade Malik NOW. The Kings are screwed, lol.
The Kings just need to run themselves like a good organization and have a stellar eye for talent so they can continuously have good players come into the organization without needing to have financial issues.

Paying tons of money for Brown now is exactly what the Kings need to not be doing.

They simply need to have a good eye for talent

keep in mind here that Denver has had their core group of players together for multiple seasons before many things going their way and now having an opportunity to play for their first ship'. The Kings took their first step this season and that was to get that dreaded playoff drought gone. Next step is to win a series or maybe two and then further assess from there. Even this Miami team has had Bam, Jimmy and Herro for multiple seasons, even though Herro hasn't played in these Playoffs, they've interchanged role players, some worked out and others not so much.
We would have beat the Lakers pretty easy had Barnes made that 3pt shot. We were literally one shot from the WCF. I don't think we need to change much. This was the first full year together. We are going to be a damn good team, and next year we will be in the running for the 1st seed like we were this year.